• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Patrick S.

Banned
VQiIRsL.jpg

Boy that Serbia, tho... I got a bad feeling about this.

Like someone wrote, Serbia is China/Russia entrance to Europe and puppet in Hungary block any response to it. Kosovo don't even have an army.
KFOR's latest "ready to intervene" press release has thousands of reactions on Twitter. The previous one from September 2021 has less than 50.
It's all business as usual in the region but the press never paid attention to it before.

Tams

And test if Putin has a deadman’s switch? Killing him could automate the launch and destruction of the world by nukes.
Nah, there are more in the command chain there than just Putin. They don't want to die for someone else, let alone a dead man.

They'd be fighting over who takes over.

TwinB242

So there's a new $550 million aid package that only contains these 2 items

1. 75,000 rounds of 155mm artillery ammunition;

2. Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS).

I feel like thats a lot of money for just artillery ammo and HIMARs rockets. Maybe im thinking too much into it but I wonder if there's a chance that they snuck some ATACMS missiles into the package but didn't specify it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Lol. I'm surprised shrapnel did not tear into him, but, I am still glad he didn't take any kind of damage.
These are the butterfly type of mines, which basically is just a plastic shell and nothing, it sucks when you step on it, but if you are outside of the blast radius, you are most likely fine.

Tams

So there's a new $550 million aid package that only contains these 2 items

I feel like thats a lot of money for just artillery ammo and HIMARs rockets. Maybe im thinking too much into it but I wonder if there's a chance that they snuck some ATACMS missiles into the package but didn't specify it.
I mean, GMLRS rockets/missiles are $100,000 to $200,000 a pop...

An MLRS fires salvos of six, usually with another pod in reserve (need to be loaded). So one deployed MLRS/HIMARS will have between $1.2 million and $2.4 million worth of munitions at hand. Ukraine currently have 12 HIMARS as far as we know. There are also M270s that the UK and Norway have sent, but we don't know how many. 12 were said to be in storage in Norway. The M270s have two pods loaded at once, allowing for two salvos of six rockets before requiring a reload.

The simplest 155mm shell comes in at around $400. Smart ones around $10,000 and precision ones around $100,000. I can't find much on how many rounds might be used, but in 2016 in Iraq, a US Marines unit fired on average 33 rounds a day, or over 2,000 in 60 days. We know of 100 M777s that have been sent to Ukraine. They also received a number of M109s from the Norway/Belgium/the UK (at least 20 so far), FH70 from Italy/Estonia, 12 CEASARs from France, 12 Panzerhaubitze (PzH) 2000s from Germany, and 18 AHS Krab self-propelled howitzers from Poland. And more have been promised of all of these. So that's more than 142 155mm guns.

From released footage it does seem that Ukraine have received some smart shells, perhaps the German SMArt 155? Those are mentioned at 'under $10,000' each.

So, if we go on the cheaper end of the scale and sit back in our armchairs we could perhaps guess what might be in that package:

12 HIMARS = $14.4 million. Let's say we want each to have 10 lots of rockets/missiles, which is between 10-20 fire missions. That's $144 million. Then let's say they have six M270s, which likely would fire all their rockets at once, so 10 lots for 10 fire missions at $72 million. That's a cool total of $216 million.

75,000 rounds/shells are being sent*. For dumb shells, that would be only $30 million. But if smart shells are part of that, let's say 10,000, that's $126 million.

That leaves around $208-304 million left over. Well, if he add just 5 more lots of rockets/missiles for the HIMARS and M270s, that takes the remainder to $100-196 million. The official wording of the press release says 'such as' the rockets/missiles and 155mm shells. Those leftovers, especially the smaller ones, could easily be taken up by small amounts of all sorts of other aid.

Also, consider that the Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) is estimated at $750,000 to $820,000 per rocket/missile... and that the US are still weary about allowing Ukraine to be able to strike that far into Russia... yeah I very much doubt that's in that aid package.

*Then let's go with 30 shells per day from, let's say 150 155mm guns (to make the maths easy). That's 4,500 shells a day. However, not all will be firing at that rate, and some will be in counter-artillery batteries or on the move or under maintenance. And some will have been destroyed or badly damaged; it is a war after all. So let's say around 3,000 shells a day, which is exactly what has been reported. That said, with counter offensives taking place, that may well go up, but let's say 3,000 shells a day. That equals 25 days worth of shells.

FunkMiller

Pelosi’s Taiwan visit rather indicates the US aren’t feeling particularly worried about China attempting a Putin-like invasion.

Makes sense. Xi isn‘t that much of an idiot. The Chinese army are even more unproven than Russia’s, and China can’t take the kind of sanctions the US would mete out the way they have with Russia. Economies far too interconnected.

Putin’s fucked Xi as well 😂

Tams

Pelosi’s Taiwan visit rather indicates the US aren’t feeling particularly worried about China attempting a Putin-like invasion.

Makes sense. Xi isn‘t that much of an idiot. The Chinese army are even more unproven than Russia’s, and China can’t take the kind of sanctions the US would mete out the way they have with Russia. Economies far too interconnected.

Xinnie the Pooh has a problem with is honey.

Evergrande are still an absolute state, the economy is hardly growing (something that the PRC needs), and his presidency is up for 'election' soon.

Also saw a video of a PLA Navy Marines MRE recently. What a fucking state!

Tams

Russian cannot stand the chance against they/them army

Ummm, pronoun policing has nothing to do with gay marriage.

And gay marriage is an accepted thing in most of the 'Western' world. A world into which Ukraine is already quite culturally integrated into, but wants integrate into more. Accepting it will increase and solidify support for Ukraine on the West. As well as, you know, just being a decent thing to allow.

M1chl

Ummm, pronoun policing has nothing to do with gay marriage.

And gay marriage is an accepted thing in most of the 'Western' world. A world into which Ukraine is already quite culturally integrated into, but wants integrate into more. Accepting it will increase and solidify support for Ukraine on the West. As well as, you know, just being a decent thing to allow.
jokes 'n stuff

Good shit regardless, pronouns are problematic topic in gendered language. You basically have options just to switch gender or take them both. No "they" here, which wouldn't sound archaic, kings had the "they" pronouns. But my post was just a joke : )

Gp1

If I'm not mistaken, it isn't the turkish government that is selling those drones. It's a private turkish company. But I could be wrong...

Let's say that "Mr. Bayraktar", the public face of the company, is married with Erdogan's daughter.
But Yeah. It still is a private company.

That being said, it's only just Erdogan messing with Putin again.

Last edited:

Tams

jokes 'n stuff

Good shit regardless, pronouns are problematic topic in gendered language. You basically have options just to switch gender or take them both. No "they" here, which wouldn't sound archaic, kings had the "they" pronouns. But my post was just a joke : )
Not really on topic though, is it?

The gay marriage stuff is, but that's because it's just another part of trying to become more part of Europe and the 'West'.

TwinB242

Pisky right outside Donetsk is being obliterated right now. It seems that the Russians have given up on trying to advance on Sloviansk/Kramatorsk from the North/West and are now focusing on trying to get to them from the south/southeast. That part of the frontline has been there since 2014 so its heavily defended, but Russia still has artillery superiority so they're doing a lot of damage. Heavy casualties on both sides.

Last edited:

M1chl

Not really on topic though, is it?

The gay marriage stuff is, but that's because it's just another part of trying to become more part of Europe and the 'West'.
Pardon if I don't copy. But this thing was done by people of Ukraine themselves, not because of the west, but because people want, so the gay fighters also receive their "window retirement" for their fallen partners. It was petition with more than 20k signs, done by people of Ukraine. And any petition with 20k signs in Ukraine, requires gov to look at it.

Tams

Pardon if I don't copy. But this thing was done by people of Ukraine themselves, not because of the west, but because people want, so the gay fighters also receive their "window retirement" for their fallen partners. It was petition with more than 20k signs, done by people of Ukraine. And any petition with 20k signs in Ukraine, requires gov to look at it.
I never said that was the main reason. But it does help their case towards European integration.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Imagine how pissed Russia must be right now.

2+2.. The US being heavily invested in giving intel has been talked about pretty much since before the war. But with that said, this particular info seems to have come from the Ukrainians themselves, so I'm a bit puzzled why they would want to give this info directly to the media without an apparent benefit. The proxy war talk could make the Americans more reluctant to send ATACMS f.ex.

Last edited:

On the proviso the world isn't nuked or at world war again... It's really quite interesting to see the threats from China/Xi/Diplomats shown to be empty threats. The more that occurs the more egg on their faces. She arrived, they didn't nuke the world, didn't invade the US and arranged to fly some jets around Taiwan in a tantrum.

Tams

On the proviso the world isn't nuked or at world war again... It's really quite interesting to see the threats from China/Xi/Diplomats shown to be empty threats. The more that occurs the more egg on their faces. She arrived, they didn't nuke the world, didn't invade the US and arranged to fly some jets around Taiwan in a tantrum.
Their shills are even worse at coping than Russian ones. At least the Russian ones stick to their delusions consistently.

Last edited:

Alx

Imagine how pissed Russia must be right now.

The line between countries that are supportive and those that are cobelligerent has never been so blurred. So the US is giving the location of the targets, validating their attack and providing the means of attacking them, but as long as it's an Ukrainian soldier pushing the button it's fine.
I mean I'd rather we keep the illusion that the west isn't really at war with Russia, for the sake of avoiding WWIII, but there's a lot of hipocrisy in the current situation.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The line between countries that are supportive and those that are cobelligerent has never been so blurred. So the US is giving the location of the targets, validating their attack and providing the means of attacking them, but as long as it's an Ukrainian soldier pushing the button it's fine.
I mean I'd rather we keep the illusion that the west isn't really at war with Russia, for the sake of avoiding WWIII, but there's a lot of hipocrisy in the current situation.
Why hypocrisy? A sovereign nation is asking another for military help, Russia argued the same way when they where fighting in Syria (then being called by Assad).

Chittagong

Gold Member

It is an interesting dilemma indeed. Why would West fighting in Ukraine, a sovereign country, lead to WW3, while Russia doing so doesn’t? Because Russia said so. With their saber rattling, they have achieved a considerable tactical advantage by crippling the opposition.

This is why, I read an analyst saying this morning, Pelosi defied China and landed in Taiwan. Because if you give into Russia’s and China’s ultimatums outside their territory, you have already lost. Some analysts now suggest the only way to deter them AND not risk WW3 is countering them with maximum force outside their territory. To be credible, that should become the Western doctrine - never attack to, always defend from.

winjer

Gold Member

Russia did a similar thing during the Vietnam war. They sent a lot of anti-air units, and these were all operated by Russian "observers".
There were also many Russian "observers" training the Vietnamese and supplying weapons.

Truth be told, the US and Russia have been doing this kind of thing in every conflict the other has been involved.
So your indignation, comes from either a place of ignorance, or an attempt to attack the Ukrainian right to defend itself from an invasion, with the help it can muster.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
WW3 isn't on the table. Russia can't even handle Ukraine let alone NATO.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Except the the rock is made of shit and the place is full of the blood of their soldiers.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The one thing Winnie The Pooh is terrified of more than anything else is looking like a loser. Look at how draconian the Covid lockdowns have been there to make sure he saves face.

He‘s seen Putin ruin his reputation as a strongman, and wants no part of that. He knows his army is untested, and an invasion of Taiwan might go even worse than Ukraine. And that’s obviously got back to US intelligence.

Putin has massively emboldened the west. Massively.

FunkMiller

You either misused this word, or you’re a Russian troll. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say the former.

Alx

Why hypocrisy? A sovereign nation is asking another for military help, Russia argued the same way when they where fighting in Syria (then being called by Assad).
It's hypocritical in claiming the west isn't at war when it's doing a large part in some of the fighting, except it's not the visible one. It's not about being "a Russian troll" or even having any kind of indignation, only asking ourselves "at which point do we consider we're officially at war ?". I'm not even criticizing the support we're bringing to Ukraine (I clearly approve it), just realizing we're hiding behind an obvious lie when we say we're not at war.
As for the Syrian example, I didn't follow the official diplomatic stance but there was no doubt Russia took an active part in the fighting. And denying it would have been even more hypocritical.

WW3 isn't on the table. Russia can't even handle Ukraine let alone NATO.0

If it weren't there wouldn't have been as many discussions about "how far can we support Ukraine without being considered belligerents".

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If it weren't there wouldn't have been as many discussions about "how far can we support Ukraine without being considered belligerents".
Those discussions are meaningless. Russia is not going to cause WW3 just to get a few farms and towns on the eastern edge of Ukraine. They started a war they can't win and the whole world is against them for it. They have shoved other countries on the fast track to NATO and exposed how utterly inept and unprepared their military is for even basic run of the mill engagements. Their economy has been kneecapped as it is thanks to the sanctions and if they tried to move against NATO directly they would cause further harm. All out war would destroy them. And despite all of the claims that Putin is crazy or on the fast track to the grave no one in Russia is going to allow him to drive the world into a global conflict over just Ukraine. He would be physically removed by his own people or removed by a foreign power indirectly before it ever even came close to such an outcome.

WW3 is not on the table and to pretend otherwise is to be an alarmist who is completely ignorant of the facts and realities of what such a situation would demand. All that fantasy does is distract from the real political issues and on the ground suffering being faced by Ukraine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom