• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Tams

I remember when this was first being pointed out, there was alot of hem and hawing that the decommissioning process was already happening and that it wouldn't be possible to bring them back to operation. I wonder if they are actually able to keep them operational or this is one of those situations where they say one thing publicly but privately know it wont actually happen.

One good thing is that this ordeal has been pretty good publicity for Nuclear power not just in Germany but I think public sentiment worldwide.
The information is probably out there, but I'm too lazy and haven't used any of the German I learnt for well over a decade.

I suspect though, that it's a mixture of reluctance, ignorance, and lack of knowledge. And there's the difference between the technical aspect and the political/policy aspect.

Decommissioning nuclear reactors is a massive task. It may well have still been in the planning stages and not much, if any physical work having been done. And starting up a nuclear reactor is a lengthy, complicated, and quite expensive process, especially if it wasn't intended to be used again (hence some maintenance not being done). There's also peripheral stuff like connections to the grid having been cut.

Politicians will have been told the minimum to avoid confusing them/losing their interest, so they may have thought it was too late when in reality it wasn't. The politicians and civil servants may also have considered the decommissioning so far a sunk cost and have been reluctant to essentially lose all that money. They just paid for something that in the end they'll have to pay for again.

Tams

Many renewable energy sources go hand in hand with gas. Because gas plants can be easily turned on and off when needed, they can complement intermittent sources like wind or solar.

This.

• Nuclear power is best for the base load. Turning it on and off is a lengthy process, but it provides consistent power.
  • Fossil fuels and biofuel can be used for base load, though supply can be an issue. They are fast to start up and shut down. So they are best for surges in demand (a few hours to perhaps a few months e.g. winter).
  • Renewables are a bit of a shitshow.
    • Wind is the worst as it is not consistent.
    • Solar is more reliable, but many parts of the world do not get enough solar radiation.
    • Tidal power works but hasn't seen any deployments (largely due to massive local environmental damage that large scale deployments would cause).
    • Wave power hasn't really gotten anywhere in the last two decades.
    • Hydro is reliable on the whole, but is limited due to limited suitable sites and the amount of 'fuel' (water).
    • Geothermal is pretty much the only reliable and consistent one.
The inconsistent renewables also therefore require storage a lot of the time. This leads to a considerable loss of energy in the conversion process both to and from the storage medium.

Don't get me wrong, renewable energy is essential, and wind and solar (and tidal and wave should they ever become viable) are needed. But to rely on them alone would be insanity.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'd to congratulate the moderation team for their incredible work, in immediately stopping Russian propagandists on here. Looking at the ban list and it's...chef's kiss.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
BNEteja.png

So let's not then.

My current GF is from Bosnia originally, so I wouldn't try to underestimate the impact, but this war already displaced more people and in short period of time it's close to the death count for whole Yugoslav wars.

Sakura

it's close to the death count for whole Yugoslav wars.
Not really. Estimates are up to 80k casualties for Russia, if we assume the same number for Ukraine that is 160k.
But, that's overall casualties, not just deaths, unlike those Yugoslav War numbers. Overall casualties for Yugoslav Wars would be much higher than 140k.

That being said, who knows how long this war will continue on for.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not really. Estimates are up to 80k casualties for Russia, if we assume the same number for Ukraine that is 160k.
But, that's overall casualties, not just deaths, unlike those Yugoslav War numbers. Overall casualties for Yugoslav Wars would be much higher than 140k.

That being said, who knows how long this war will continue on for.
Well if not that, then the trajectory or trend based on time, isn't really favorable for this conflict in comparison to Jugoslavia

sinnergy

Look at the equipment mobilized in the Ukrainian War, it's the biggest since WW2.
And the loses in just a few months, both in lives and equipment are huge.
Then there is the loss in the economic sense. For the Ukraine, the EU and Russia.
It’s still not a big war , should be kept this way .. it’s nothing like ww1 or 2 or any Great War , it’s also costing less .. for Example the last wars for the USA costed a lot more . Those wws also costed the world a lot more. It’s all sad but freedom is not a given , often it’s earned. We should keep trying to keep this war isolated, support them , before we start up the whole military machine .

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It’s still not a big war , should be kept this way .. it’s nothing like ww1 or 2 or any Great War , it’s also costing less .. for Example the last wars for the USA costed a lot more . Those wws also costed the world a lot more. We should keep trying to keep this war isolated .

Did I say it was as big as WW1 and WW2. Or did I say, it's the biggest since WW2.

HoodWinked

This is a bit curious for multiple reasons. I don't know Russian but judging by the pictures it seems to be specifically about soldier's losing legs due to land mines. However the landmines on the signs are PFM-1 mines which are Russian (the signs even say Russian Letters-1)

The US uses similar landmines BLU-43 Dragontooth. So they could be mis-identifying them or maybe Russians are stepping on their own mines. Maybe this protest is even Ukranians protesting against Russian land mine use. No idea.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Neither are 99% of Russians.
Well.. It's not so easy.
Russians have been brain propaganda washed for ... for forever.
Many of older citizens REALLY think they hate the west.
I know what it is. We have only few years of pure propaganda in poland and many people already don't think for themselves

Tams

This is a bit curious for multiple reasons. I don't know Russian but judging by the pictures it seems to be specifically about soldier's losing legs due to land mines. However the landmines on the signs are PFM-1 mines which are Russian (the signs even say Russian Letters-1)

The US uses similar landmines BLU-43 Dragontooth. So they could be mis-identifying them or maybe Russians are stepping on their own mines. Maybe this protest is even Ukranians protesting against Russian land mine use. No idea.
As far as I know the US haven't used them for a long time and are signed up to not use them. So they absolutely have not been provided to Ukraine.

Ukraine have their own significant stockpiles of such anti-personnel mines. They have claimed to have not used them, and I believe have destroyed some of them over the years. Russia, of course, have them. Neither are committed to not using such weapons.

As to who has been using them...

The Ukrainians might, though a) it would be terrible PR if that was found to be the case and b) it would make taking back territory very dangerous and difficult and be a nightmare for years afterwards. The Ukrainians seem to care about civilians enough to probably not have done that.

Russia claim it is the Ukrainians. If it is the Russians though, it would mean that they fired/dropped them on their own troops and civilians (well conquered people). The Russians firing on their own soldiers at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is in the same vein. If that is true though, then I can see the dispersal of these mines also being true. Russian forces have certainly shown attitudes more likely to have led to such events.

Living in Kherson sounds like a nightmare. Lets hope it gets liberated soon

As someone who lives in Kherson region I would like to say that the situation is far from worse, however, I am not going to say that it is by all means ideal, I am a simple man who lives his own life, I don't go outside looking for trouble, I don't get involved with the local resistance, on top of that in the town that I live there is almost none of it anyway, people here simply adapted to the way things are at the moment because they are obviously afraid, even if they don't show it. This is a very good video, I can confirm the things that were mentioned in it, I also didn't know this, but they said that in Kherson you can still get Ukrainian cell reception, which is wonderful, I will make sure to go that place next time I will be in the city.

akimbo009

Gold Member
As far as I know the US haven't used them for a long time and are signed up to not use them. So they absolutely have not been provided to Ukraine.

Ukraine have their own significant stockpiles of such anti-personnel mines. They have claimed to have not used them, and I believe have destroyed some of them over the years. Russia, of course, have them. Neither are committed to not using such weapons.

As to who has been using them...

The Ukrainians might, though a) it would be terrible PR if that was found to be the case and b) it would make taking back territory very dangerous and difficult and be a nightmare for years afterwards. The Ukrainians seem to care about civilians enough to probably not have done that.

Russia claim it is the Ukrainians. If it is the Russians though, it would mean that they fired/dropped them on their own troops and civilians (well conquered people). The Russians firing on their own soldiers at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is in the same vein. If that is true though, then I can see the dispersal of these mines also being true. Russian forces have certainly shown attitudes more likely to have led to such events.
Doubt the US is sending any of them, but if you're existence is at threat doubt PR is your problem.

Maybe Russia stops raping their women, and they'll be more "PR" friendly.

Tams

Doubt the US is sending any of them, but if you're existence is at threat doubt PR is your problem.

Maybe Russia stops raping their women, and they'll be more "PR" friendly.
I said they aren't.

And PR absolutely is a major concern for Ukraine. They need to keep Western populations engaged, and also not alienate them. Getting children blown up would quickly do that.

Why do you think the backlash at Amnesty International was so postage from Ukraine?

akimbo009

Gold Member
I said they aren't.

And PR absolutely is a major concern for Ukraine. They need to keep Western populations engaged, and also not alienate them. Getting children blown up would quickly do that.

Why do you think the backlash at Amnesty International was so postage from Ukraine?

Ukraine won't let themselves lose because of PR risks... They have a narrow road they need to drive but if it's PR of their existence - existence is what they should choose.

We are arguing over the same things, I think. In the end, war is hell, and I don't have a problem of Ukraine giving it to Russia

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Mind you, these are Russians in Europe, that have access to all the information. They are not controlled by Kremlin's propaganda.
But they still decide to support the invasion of the Ukraine.
The EU really needs to start sending these bastards back to Russia.

That's not up to the EU. That's down to individual countries who are member states. The EU doesn't have that sort of power.......yet.

Direct Warning Message from Military Intelligence on ZNPP​

renderTimingPixel.png

facebook.com/Defenc...

Hopefully nothings happens:

!! ️On August 19, the Russians are preparing a provocation to the ZAEU
▪️
The occupants announced an unexpected "day off" at the zaporizhzhya nuclear station. On August 19, only operational staff will be located at the ZAEU. All other employees entrance will be closed. It is also known that representatives of rosatomu, who have recently been constantly at the station, urgently left the object.
▪️
At the same time, the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation stated the kind of preparation of "teractu" by the zsu. The report says UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is preparing a resonant provocation to accuse Russia of a technogeníj disaster. In preparation of the terrorist attack Russians are expected to blame Ukrainian power.
▪️
From the available information it becomes clear that the occupants after large-scale shelling of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant can "raise the stakes" and organize a real terrorist attack on Europe's largest nuclear facility. In addition, tame this crime to the stay in Ukraine of the UN Secretary General.

Tams

Direct Warning Message from Military Intelligence on ZNPP​

renderTimingPixel.png

facebook.com/Defenc...

Hopefully nothings happens:

!! ️On August 19, the Russians are preparing a provocation to the ZAEU
▪️
The occupants announced an unexpected "day off" at the zaporizhzhya nuclear station. On August 19, only operational staff will be located at the ZAEU. All other employees entrance will be closed. It is also known that representatives of rosatomu, who have recently been constantly at the station, urgently left the object.
▪️
At the same time, the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation stated the kind of preparation of "teractu" by the zsu. The report says UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is preparing a resonant provocation to accuse Russia of a technogeníj disaster. In preparation of the terrorist attack Russians are expected to blame Ukrainian power.
▪️
From the available information it becomes clear that the occupants after large-scale shelling of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant can "raise the stakes" and organize a real terrorist attack on Europe's largest nuclear facility. In addition, tame this crime to the stay in Ukraine of the UN Secretary General.
You're gonna have to rewrite that as it's not translated well at all.

TwinB242

Imagine claiming that you've 'liberated' a city that belongs to the motherland yet nobody who lives there actually wants to join you

Last edited:
Top Bottom