• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

RAÏSanÏa

Those recent explosions got me to look at Russia's losses before the new numbers in the coming days.
In anticipation of a possible Ukrainian advance.
i9b4f9r97fi91.png

Russia's troop and APV losses appear to be decoupling from 10:1.
Going to watch that one for acceleration.

Tams

Palmer Luckey doing good things

I had no idea that's what he'd moved onto. Glad he's helping Ukraine now.

His opinion on conflict is very nuanced, sensible, and astute. The business model seems fair and sustainable too.

Can't believe he's younger and than me and yet so far ahead in life though.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I see the Russkies have decided a good way to try to destabilise Europe is to get the Finnish PM sacked for being at a party. Quite amazing just how much COMPLETELY GENUINE HONESTLY attention the video is getting on social media.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I see the Russkies have decided a good way to try to destabilise Europe is to get the Finnish PM sacked for being at a party. Quite amazing just how much COMPLETELY GENUINE HONESTLY attention the video is getting on social media.

I partied next to her last Saturday. I won’t lie, it did cross my mind that what kinds of push notifications she might get and what would she do. But I trust there is a second if command if she is on a bender

Tams

I don't think that's got anything to do with Russia.

It's just some useless 'friends' not watching what they post on Instashit from a party with an important person. It made something private public when it really shouldn't have been. Just an extension of some of the mindless and thoughtless stuff us younger people do.

And the Nordic countries still have a sizeable conservative part of their populations who don't like things like partying like that, or rather it being out in public (as many do the same themselves in private).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They're throwing a shitfit about the Baltic States on putinTV.

I think it's funny how they all do is shout and shout about nuking this, nuking that... it really displays how bad Russia is at generating goodwill and cooperation. They only understand terror and submission.

TwinB242

New $775 million aid package

Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
16 105mm Howitzers and 36,000 105mm artillery rounds;
15 Scan Eagle Unmanned Aerial Systems;
40 MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles with mine rollers;
Additional High-speed Anti-radiation missiles;
50 Armored High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWV);
1,500 Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
1,000 Javelin anti-armor systems;
2,000 anti-armor rounds;
Mine clearing equipment and systems;
Demolition munitions;
Tactical secure communications systems;
Night vision devices, thermal imagery systems, optics, and laser rangefinders.

Interesting to see TOW missiles on there. I wonder if Ukraine is running out of Stugna ammo and the TOWs are going to replace them.

Tams

It's that vibe of "ooh we can nuke the entire world, be afraid of us" while at the same time feeling threatened by a song that makes it hilarious for me.

Also:

Ukrainian pilots training on A-10 in the UK
Edit: actually bothered to read the article.

It's still just a load of wishful thinking for now. Sure, retired US pilots are helping and they have simulators (though even these could be consumer stuff - the A-10 is sort of the OG for hardcore civilian military aircraft simulation), but they're learning from YouTube videos...

None of the gear was classified, and most of the components came from a niche of the gaming community that builds flight simulators for fun.

The US government have, publicly at least, shown zero sign of providing A-10s. And for good reason. Even incompetent, depleted Russian forces could be a major threat to them. They are slow. I'm not saying they never will provide them, but there are far more useless bits of equipment and important needs.

Lol, have the US decided the threat from Russian air and anti-air systems is now so low that the A-10 is viable for the Ukrainians?

If so, and if true, then those Russian ground forces are in for a real treat.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Edit: actually bothered to read the article.

It's still just a load of wishful thinking for now. Sure, retired US pilots are helping and they have simulators (though even these could be consumer stuff - the A-10 is sort of the OG for hardcore civilian military aircraft simulation), but they're learning from YouTube videos...

The US government have, publicly at least, shown zero sign of providing A-10s. And for good reason. Even incompetent, depleted Russian forces could be a major threat to them. They are slow. I'm not saying they never will provide them, but there are far more useless bits of equipment and important needs.

Lol, have the US decided the threat from Russian air and anti-air systems is now so low that the A-10 is viable for the Ukrainians?

If so, and if true, then those Russian ground forces are in for a real treat.

Hot damn sure it blows then.

TwinB242

A-10s would be absolutely useless in this conflict and possibly even worse than the SU-25s Ukraine currently operates. They need fighter aircraft like F-16s/F-18s.

Meicyn

Gold Member
A-10s would be absolutely useless in this conflict and possibly even worse than the SU-25s Ukraine currently operates. They need fighter aircraft like F-16s/F-18s.
Yep, A-10s were at one point on their way to retirement with the DoD looking to other options for close air support due to their lack of effectiveness for future conflicts. The A-10 is great in an environment where you already have control of the airspace like in Afghanistan; Russian anti-aircraft systems will make short work of them.

Tams

Yep, A-10s were at one point on their way to retirement with the DoD looking to other options for close air support due to their lack of effectiveness for future conflicts. The A-10 is great in an environment where you already have control of the airspace like in Afghanistan; Russian anti-aircraft systems will make short work of them.
They also pretty much being replaced with the existing AC-130s. If you're going to need secure airspace, then you might as well use aircraft that can take larger weapons (40mm Bofors on the AC-130s compared to 30mm on the A-10s).

Gp1

It's that vibe of "ooh we can nuke the entire world, be afraid of us" while at the same time feeling threatened by a song that makes it hilarious for me.

Also:

Ukrainian pilots training on A-10 in the UK

The cool fact is that the Ukrainians are training on DCS, a simulator initially developed in Russia, on a US fighter to fight against Russia.

Globalization at its finest.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...s-are-training-on-diy-a-10-warthog-simulators

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
They also pretty much being replaced with the existing AC-130s. If you're going to need secure airspace, then you might as well use aircraft that can take larger weapons (40mm Bofors on the AC-130s compared to 30mm on the A-10s).
Hell, the 105mm howitzers on specific models like the AC-130J Ghostrider are nightmare fuel if you’re the enemy. AFSOC doesn’t fuck around.

Mikado

Huh. I would have thought this was the mission the A-10 was literally designed for? (killing slow-moving, cold-war era, Eastern European armor columns with a general lack of enemy air defense/superiority). The GAU-8 is cool and everything but the modern* A-10C can carry a lot of modern smart munitions with no need to get too close to the battle.

Of course if there are enemy fighters/interceptors in the area, then yeah the A-10 is going to have a Bad Time.

*Edit: Well "modern" might be overstating it, but it's still an upgrade over the older A-10's hah.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
with a general lack of enemy air defense/superiority.
This is the part that is most relevant. Ukrainian air space is contested. There is a lot of enemy air defense, making the A-10 platform extremely vulnerable. The DoD continues to slowly retire the platform because it has no future; the Air Force has asked to retire around two dozen of them in the FY2023 budget (they were going to be retired earlier but there was a lot of internal politics over the platform). Offering them to Ukraine is marginally helpful because rather than sending them to the scrapyard, they can just hand them over to Ukraine.

The battlefield is ever changing though, so they might be useful in the future if Ukraine can neutralize Russian air defense systems in Ukrainian air space. But right now? Eh.

Top Bottom