• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

MrA

How is this the most likely series of events? What sense would it make for Russia?
blame ukraine, false flag,
another soviet classic, mock trails were thing and
Translation:

iISXFAA.jpg

If this is real, Putin and his acolytes are in big trouble if they loose the war in Ukraine.
He always was, his whole rule is as a strongman, he loses, he's weak, but now Russian dissidents seem emboldened,
A civil war breaking out in Russia would most likely end the aggression in Ukraine, only problem is I doubt the rebels will be meaningfully better probably former communist party members/their children and acolytes trying to swap one flavor of dictator for their flavor of dictator
Though maybe Russia's far left and right will just wipe each other out and someone that isn't a loony toon will sweep into power

Lasha

I see the Russians are evolving from Tolkien Orcs that invade from the east to 40k Orks which fight amongst themselves if nobody else is around. Shit gets me hard.

Translation:

iISXFAA.jpg

If this is real, Putin and his acolytes are in big trouble if they loose the war in Ukraine.

I'm kind of surprised to see this come out publicly. Partisan groups have been emboldened by Russia's failures in Ukraine. Russian groups, particularly those in the non Russian republics, have been putting out feelers to other groups (e.g. Georgia Legion)for weapons and funds for a few months now. I hope that this attack is just the tip of the iceberg.

sinnergy

I see the Russians are evolving from Tolkien Orcs that invade from the east to 40k Orks which fight amongst themselves if nobody else is around. Shit gets me hard.

I'm kind of surprised to see this come out publicly. Partisan groups have been emboldened by Russia's failures in Ukraine. Russian groups, particularly those in the non Russian republics, have been putting out feelers to other groups (e.g. Georgia Legion)for weapons and funds for a few months now. I hope that this attack is just the tip of the iceberg.
Change must come from inside .. so that’s a good thing.

winjer

Gold Member
Russia is all smoke and mirrors now .. in 6 months time it became a terrorist dictatorship with only throwing lies into the world .. like I said months ago: don’t bother talking with them.

Russia has been a terrorist dictatorship with only throwing lies into the world for decades.
Sadly only now are people taking a notice. Other countries were invaded, many crimes against humanity were committed, while the world looked away.

Wildebeest

Fact Check: A lot of news media makes out that Dugin is in some sort of inner circle in Russia or that he is some philosopher with original ideas. Not true. Dugin is a far right propagandist who is most noted for making some of the crazy ideas of Russian philosophers accessible in English. Putin would not care if he died apart from it looking like he couldn't enforce his brand of "peace" in Moscow.

Reactions: Gp1

sinnergy

Russia has been a terrorist dictatorship with only throwing lies into the world for decades.
Sadly only now are people taking a notice. Other countries were invaded, many crimes against humanity were committed, while the world looked away.
Sure, but now Putin made it really visible.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Galeev has a interesting theory about all of this in the line of what you posted Wildebeest Wildebeest

Sounds like something from an old Kremlin book

KGB Reportedly Gave Arab Terrorists a Taste of Brutality to Free Diplomats - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

But I don't think in that theory that Dugin knew is correct, it's more like "you need to be silent" or something. As far as I know Dugin isn't the "Putin's head" just western journalist made this story. There is some other guy, who does not look as intimidating as Dugin. I can't find it now, since on my phone.

Gp1

Sounds like something from an old Kremlin book

KGB Reportedly Gave Arab Terrorists a Taste of Brutality to Free Diplomats - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

But I don't think in that theory that Dugin knew is correct, it's more like "you need to be silent" or something.

If you have the time, read the rest of the thread and some other of his posts before (edit: and after). He explains why it make sense.
The main point is that Russia has a different family dynamics than what we have on the west

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, fellas.

Tomorrow is Ukraine's independence day. Usually festive, but due to the situation the country is in, a rather ominous day. What do you think will happen?

a) The One Million Man March: the fabled megapush
b) The orcs deliver a massive amount of ordinance on a civilian target
c) Radiation day: the russians get frisky with the Zaporyzhia Nuclear Power Plant
d) Just trench warfare as usual

I think it will be option D. I just don't see anything else happening,.

Ozriel

M$FT
So, fellas.

Tomorrow is Ukraine's independence day. Usually festive, but due to the situation the country is in, a rather ominous day. What do you think will happen?

a) The One Million Man March: the fabled megapush
b) The orcs deliver a massive amount of ordinance on a civilian target
c) Radiation day: the russians get frisky with the Zaporyzhia Nuclear Power Plant
d) Just trench warfare as usual

I think it will be option D. I just don't see anything else happening,.

Whatever it is, I hope the Ukrainians deliver a savage response in kind.

Tams

Turkey is so confusing...

No they aren't.

They play both sides. Been that way since Roman times.

And, as despotic as Erdogan is, he's still a nationalist and Turkey has big beef with Russia. Remember, it was Turkey who shot down a Russian jet for not leaving their airspace after warnings and in a timely fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Facism

Turkey is so confusing...

That's the reality of their geopolitical position, muddied further by akp party being complete fucking traitors whose foreign policy seems like it's decided daily via the toss of 2 d20 dice.

Will be a great day when they're gone.

winjer

Gold Member
Turkey, or the Ottoman Empire, have a long history of bad relations with their neighbors. And of those neighbor's is Russia.
Although it's true that Turkey likes to play their alliances to gain the best deal, the fact is that there is also a lot of bad blood between Turkey and Russia.

I didn't want to start a dedicated thread just for this, but since it's a related matter I will simply ask your advice here, I live in the occupied territory and today after three months of having no proper internet my connection was finally restored, but with a twist, I am now connected to a Russian network which has these insane anti-VPN measures, those measures are really OP, I am barely able to connect to one of Surfshark's servers and even that comes with a loss of 50% of my regular speed, so my question is - Is there a way to somehow bypass these restriction? ExpressVPN doesn't even work anymore, no matter which country I choose, NordVPN is already dead in the water, Surfshark is the only option that I am aware of, yet I feel like it might join those two soon.

M1chl

I didn't want to start a dedicated thread just for this, but since it's a related matter I will simply ask your advice here, I live in the occupied territory and today after three months of having no proper internet my connection was finally restored, but with a twist, I am now connected to a Russian network which has these insane anti-VPN measures, those measures are really OP, I am barely able to connect to one of Surfshark's servers and even that comes with a loss of 50% of my regular speed, so my question is - Is there a way to somehow bypass these restriction? ExpressVPN doesn't even work anymore, no matter which country I choose, NordVPN is already dead in the water, Surfshark is the only option that I am aware of, yet I feel like it might join those two soon.
Damn that's terrible. Well you have options to rent a custom VPS which you would use as your VPN, since it's just an IP, it's possible that it's not blocked. However if they banned whole IP ranges, you have to find some exotic location, which they didn't include. Where the server sits.

If they are only allowing certain IP ranges, you are mostly fucked.

But in general Russia is monitoring this shit, so I would be really careful.

Tams

Surfshark likely just about still works because they prioritise the number of servers in different places over other features. But yes, if the Russian authorities put in enough effort, they could get all of them.

Your best bet is looking for the best VPNs for getting around censorship. Perhaps try and find out what those in the PRC use. As M1chl M1chl suggested, you could rent a VPS and use it as a VPN. They might be able to get you on something if they catch you doing that though. And there's always Tor if all else fails.

Last edited:
Damn that's terrible. Well you have options to rent a custom VPS which you would use as your VPN, since it's just an IP, it's possible that it's not blocked. However if they banned whole IP ranges, you have to find some exotic location, which they didn't include. Where the server sits.

If they are only allowing certain IP ranges, you are mostly fucked.

But in general Russia is monitoring this shit, so I would be really careful.
I can't use YouTube and Google altogether, although people in Russia can, this is a restriction that applies strictly to occupied regions of Ukraine, unfortunately, and only to this specific ISP for now.

M1chl

I can't use YouTube and Google altogether, although people in Russia can, this is a restriction that applies strictly to occupied regions of Ukraine, unfortunately, and only to this specific ISP for now.
Any chance of getting cell signal from Ukraine for example? Or are you already forced to have sim card from those separatist states?

Any chance of getting cell signal from Ukraine for example? Or are you already forced to have sim card from those separatist states?
So what happened was, and this is a long story, I am sorry, but on April 30 they completely disabled every ISP connection as well as cell reception for 4 days, I didn't know this before, but it was a sort of to test whether they can completely get away with it, turns out they couldn't and for one more month things were as smooth as they could have been, however, on May 31st the same thing happened... except this time it became permanent, on June 4th they started selling their own SIM cards in my town, because I couldn't really be left without the internet, without reading the news and not be a part of the social circle, and that LTE signal, if you can call it that was the most low effort signal that you could receive, but it didn't take long for the signal to improve slightly, keep in mind that this is still a mobile internet, which you could use it to create a hotspot in theory, and that's what I did, that's how I have been doing things for the last two and a half months until today and today has been... well, I just described

The movement from the occupied territory would probably be risky as fuck with all the military presence...
The only way to leave the country is through Crimea, every single day busses leave with people without any issues, you only need enough money, which I do have, but only to pay for the bus to Crimea, since they're charging in UAH and it's generally not a large amount, the real problem comes up when you need at least 450$ to move from Crime to Russia and from Russia you can go to either Georgia, Poland, and another country which I forgot the name of, but this is the only safe option to leave the country at the moment.

Serious question. Do you need help with finding a place to come to here in Germany? I could help you with that
I appreciate it love, but right now getting out of the country is not an option due to money issues, and I lost my job a couple of months before the war broke out, if I will ever end up leaving, I will make sure to reach out to you in private, maybe we will do a video call or something that will help you to get to know me better as well as talk to me about any possible option of me staying in Germany if that is okay with you.

M1chl

The only way to leave the country is through Crimea, every single day busses leave with people without any issues, you only need enough money, which I do have, but only to pay for the bus to Crimea, since they're charging in UAH and it's generally not a large amount, the real problem comes up when you need at least 450$ to move from Crime to Russia and from Russia you can go to either Georgia, Poland, and another country which I forgot the name of, but this is the only safe option to leave the country at the moment.

Lads can we fundraise?

Given your situation, I don't think you will be able to do anything with your situation which would be cheaper. Also your citizenship isn't problem, when you are Ukrainian with this escape?

Lads can we fundraise?

Given your situation, I don't think you will be able to do anything with your situation which would be cheaper. Also your citizenship isn't problem, when you are Ukrainian with this escape?
I am in a lucky spot because I live one city away from Kherson, I am sort of behind Kherson's back, which means that unless the Ukrainian military will reach Kherson and the front line will shift there, my town should be relatively safe, therefore I should be relatively safe, but it is only a matter of time before I have to leave regardless, because the towns that were reclaimed by Ukrainian military still get their share of shelling every now and then and this isn't what I want for myself.

Last edited:

M1chl

I am in a lucky spot because I live one city away from Kherson, I am sort of behind Kherson's back, which means that unless the Ukrainian military will reach Kherson and the front line will shift there, my town should be relatively safe, therefore I should be relatively safe, but it is only a matter of time before I have to leave regardless, because the towns that were reclaimed by Ukrainian military still get their share of shelling every now and then and this isn't what I want for myself.
Well if they reach you (UA military) then there is a possibility of your extraction from the place? I can't imagine being there...

Patrick S.

Banned
I appreciate it love, but right now getting out of the country is not an option due to money issues, and I lost my job a couple of months before the war broke out, if I will ever end up leaving, I will make sure to reach out to you in private, maybe we will do a video call or something that will help you to get to know me better as well as talk to me about any possible option of me staying in Germany if that is okay with you.

I am a systems administrator for an IT company that administrates a relatively large branch of Caritas Germany. They have a dedicated team that helps Ukrainians like you. They also have several residences where Ukrainians are staying. Through my job I can at least get you phone numbers of the relevant people... Besides that, I think my boss has helped one or two Ukrainian families in finding a place and jobs, through an acquaintance/friend of him who owns a rural hotel.

Well if they reach you (UA military) then there is a possibility of your extraction from the place? I can't imagine being there...
Well, as I said before in this thread, things are far from terrible, the only problem that I have to deal with is to hear everything that is going on in the region, explosions I mean, which degrades my mental stability for the day, I can cope with it by this point, after all it's been many months since the war broke, no matter how bad the situation is, you get used to it eventually.

I am a systems administrator for an IT company that administrates a relatively large branch of Caritas Germany. They have a dedicated team that helps Ukrainians like you. They also have several residences where Ukrainians are staying. Through my job I can at least get you phone numbers of the relevant people... Besides that, I think my boss has helped one or two Ukrainian families in finding a place and jobs, through an acquaintance/friend of him who owns a rural hotel.
I would really appreciate if you could share those phone numbers with me, I want to gather every possible outcome for my situation before I will be able to move so I can freely decide the best option for myself. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom