• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Any chance of getting cell signal from Ukraine for example? Or are you already forced to have sim card from those separatist states?
I found out recently that in Kherson there is one spot that has Ukrainian cell reception, but I am a little bit afraid to go to Kherson, I can't really explain it in one message, I would rather just stay here where things are relatively normal.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I found out recently that in Kherson there is one spot that has Ukrainian cell reception, but I am a little bit afraid to go to Kherson, I can't really explain it in one message, I would rather just stay here where things are relatively normal.
You can hack it, use something like a pan, put phone infront of it, so you create some sort of satellite and since you are close there is a possibility to get this signal from where you are. I know it's sort of Redneck engineering, but you can still try it.

Well pan would not be ideal, something like wok if you have that, would be perfect.

You can hack it, use something like a pan, put phone infront of it, so you create some sort of satellite and since you are close there is a possibility to get this signal from where you are. I know it's sort of Redneck engineering, but you can still try it.

Well pan would not be ideal, something like wok if you have that, would be perfect.
I do look quite silly when I imagine myself doing it, but at this point just getting a cell reception would be pointless, I have access to my bank account through my phone and PayPal as well as several other apps, they were quite understanding and allowed me to enter my account without the phone number after I proved to them my identity via chat with one of their support agents, and today I got a stable internet connection which I hope will stick around at least for some time, because for nearly three months I had to jump through hoops so many times.

Last edited:

M1chl

I do look quite silly when I imagine myself doing it, but at this point just getting a cell reception would be pointless, I have access to my bank account through my phone and PayPal as well as several other apps, they were quite understanding and allowed me to enter my account without the phone number after I proved to them my identity via chat with one of their support agents, and today I got a stable internet connection which I hope will stick around at least for some time, because for nearly three months I had to jump through hoops so many times.
Oh okay, well then solution with custom VPS, is possibly the only way. But how they monitor the traffic is unknown to me, so I am unsure if that wouldn't lend you in trouble with Orcs...

Oh okay, well then solution with custom VPS, is possibly the only way. But how they monitor the traffic is unknown to me, so I am unsure if that wouldn't lend you in trouble with Orcs...
I was fortunate so far, my friend, on top of that I am simple man, I visit mostly surface web websites, use services like Steam, which thankfully still operates, although I have to check it, Battle.net is down as far as I am aware of, but using Surfshark will help me use it.

M1chl

I was fortunate so far, my friend, on top of that I am simple man, I visit mostly surface web websites, use services like Steam, which thankfully still operates, although I have to check it, Battle.net is down as far as I am aware of, but using Surfshark will help me use it.
I understand however you are in considerable danger based on what is happening. Shelling sucks. So I hope you will be at least liberated soon. Or you will take the trip through Crimea...

Are you Russian speaking by the way?

Last edited:
I understand however you are in considerable danger based on what is happening. Shelling sucks. So I hope you will be at least liberated soon. Or you will take the trip through Crimea...

Are you Russian speaking by the way?
I am fluent in Ukrainian, Russian, English, and recently I started learning Czech because it's very similar to Ukrainian and Russian, which means that I will be able to somewhat speedrun my learning process.

M1chl

I am fluent in Ukrainian, Russian, English, and recently I started learning Czech because it's very similar to Ukrainian and Russian, which means that I will be able to somewhat speedrun my learning process.
I don't find it similar at all to be honest, it sucks that I can't really understand videos from Ukraine without subtitles. It's weird I am hearing something which I don't understand and then there is one word which sounds exactly like in Czech. Beware of "Slavic false friends" tho, because sometimes same words means different things in different slavic languages.

I was just asking, because it seems like you would have easier times while speaking in Russian, where you are.

Každopádně hodně štěstí

I don't find it similar at all to be honest, it sucks that I can't really understand videos from Ukraine without subtitles. It's weird I am hearing something which I don't understand and then there is one word which sounds exactly like in Czech. Beware of "Slavic false friends" tho, because sometimes same words means different things in different slavic languages.

I was just asking, because it seems like you would have easier times while speaking in Russian, where you are.

Každopádně hodně štěstí
Don't worry, love, my only friends at the moment are all online and located all around the world, which I am fine with, that is how things have been for the most parts, that's how I was able to up my English language in the first place, although playing video games at a young age without subtitles did contribute to that quite a lot.

M1chl

Don't worry, love, my only friends at the moment are all online and located all around the world, which I am fine with, that is how things have been for the most parts, that's how I was able to up my English language in the first place, although playing video games at a young age without subtitles did contribute to that quite a lot.
I am more concerned about Grad hitting your home or filthy Russians taking you away for some unknown reason. I don't know how much you are informed about the situation, but there is horrible shit going on there.

I am more concerned about Grad hitting your home or filthy Russians taking you away for some unknown reason. I don't know how much you are informed about the situation, but there is horrible shit going on there.
I can't explain it fully to you here, but I have done my research and I am fairly confident that at least until Kherson isn't being liberated my town and other towns that are located further away from Kherson should be relatively fine.

Liljagare

Gold Member
Official press release from the US DoD on the $3 billion dollar tranche for Ukraine:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...n-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/
It includes (not limited to):
Six additional National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) with additional munitions for NASAMS;
Up to 245,000 rounds of 155mm artillery ammunition;
Up to 65,000 rounds of 120mm mortar ammunition;
Up to 24 counter-artillery radars;
Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and support equipment for Scan Eagle UAS systems;
VAMPIRE Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Laser-guided rocket systems;
Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.

Mokus

Kadyrovets is doing what he loves...

Oh My God Reaction GIF

I didn't want to start a dedicated thread just for this, but since it's a related matter I will simply ask your advice here, I live in the occupied territory and today after three months of having no proper internet my connection was finally restored, but with a twist, I am now connected to a Russian network which has these insane anti-VPN measures, those measures are really OP, I am barely able to connect to one of Surfshark's servers and even that comes with a loss of 50% of my regular speed, so my question is - Is there a way to somehow bypass these restriction? ExpressVPN doesn't even work anymore, no matter which country I choose, NordVPN is already dead in the water, Surfshark is the only option that I am aware of, yet I feel like it might join those two soon.
Sorry to hear that you are in that situation.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Will do, sir, will do, thank you for caring about this, about me.
How are you holding up with all the ammo, and air strip bombing UA have been doing? Must be near by?

Edit: oh, and do you know how many planes actually got hit? Folks talking about that?

Edit2: looks like your country folk are saying Happy Freedom day...

Last edited:
How are you holding up with all the ammo, and air strip bombing UA have been doing? Must be near by?

Edit: oh, and do you know how many planes actually got hit? Folks talking about that?

Edit2: looks like your country folk are saying Happy Freedom day...

Whenever I hear the explosions I don't know exactly where or what was hit, but my sources are quick to confirm and share some videos about what happened since they leave closer to those places than I am, I woke up today at 5AM because I heard exactly two of them, but my sources tell me that there was definitely more of them, Ukrainian army was allegedly striking Antonovsky bridge again, allegedly, I can't confirm this yet.

Ionian

Can a mod please stop the auto-play of videos from Tik-Tok and the like.

Could be reading a post and it just goes blaring with audio?

EDIT: don't even have to be at the post, just the page.

EDIT 2: LMAO, scrolling up 2 played at the same time.

Last edited:

Ionian

Fucking hell, same here. So sick of that shit. Just got jumpscared by just scrolling up the thread.

At least I'm not going insane my brother, it's crazy and stupid. Read a post, videos start blaring. (sometimes, many).

It's literally counter-intuitive.

Last edited:
Today we had a massive power outage across two occupied regions, sources tell me that this has something to do with the fire that broke out near the power plant in Zaporizhzhia, right now things are more or less regular, as much as they can be.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Holy shit this war.. It's.. Idk what to say..

It's a fundamentally stupid war, as in there's no real reason it should be happening. People talk about ukraine's oil and gas reserves threatening russia but reality check there's a lot of demand for such products, the only thing it would happen is that it would lose it's strategic significance as a weapon to subvert Germany. And Russia has no need to subvert Germany. The European Union is interested in a multi polar world and is more than happy to engage in trade with China, India and Russia.

But Putin, shackled by profoundly misguided imperial aspirations instead of having an easy ally would rather the EU dissolved to manhandle its member countries like it manhandles other small countries near russia like the stans, the caucassus republics, etc. And so having Ukraine look towards anywhere but Moscow was too hard a pill to swallow.

Facism

It's a fundamentally stupid war, as in there's no real reason it should be happening. People talk about ukraine's oil and gas reserves threatening russia but reality check there's a lot of demand for such products, the only thing it would happen is that it would lose it's strategic significance as a weapon to subvert Germany. And Russia has no need to subvert Germany. The European Union is interested in a multi polar world and is more than happy to engage in trade with China, India and Russia.

But Putin, shackled by profoundly misguided imperial aspirations instead of having an easy ally would rather the EU dissolved to manhandle its member countries like it manhandles other small countries near russia like the stans, the caucassus republics, etc. And so having Ukraine look towards anywhere but Moscow was too hard a pill to swallow.
Basically Russia gon Rus

M1chl

Slightly related tankie take

Sorry didn't meant to post my socials, I just wanted to post contens inside and that OP tweet there. Hope this is not taken as "self-promotion".

Last edited:

Lasha

I would really appreciate if you could share those phone numbers with me, I want to gather every possible outcome for my situation before I will be able to move so I can freely decide the best option for myself. Thank you.

Can you get into Russia? The Kazbegi border crossing into Georgia is still open. If you can do your work remotely I can get my sister in law to do the paperwork that registers you as an individual entrepreneur (1% tax rate on your first 500k GEL). Georgia has a lot of programs to help Ukrainians out as well. There are Ukrainian schools opened by the government where you can send your kids FoC. Theres also some health care assistance and residency fast track process available if you need to stay more than a year.

I would give you a place but im already full with people who came in the first wave. The rents are hiked for Russians but you can ask around and get a local price if people know you are from UA. I hope you stay safe and get away. Fuck Russia.

Can you get into Russia? The Kazbegi border crossing into Georgia is still open. If you can do your work remotely I can get my sister in law to do the paperwork that registers you as an individual entrepreneur (1% tax rate on your first 500k GEL). Georgia has a lot of programs to help Ukrainians out as well. There are Ukrainian schools opened by the government where you can send your kids FoC. Theres also some health care assistance and residency fast track process available if you need to stay more than a year.

I would give you a place but im already full with people who came in the first wave. The rents are hiked for Russians but you can ask around and get a local price if people know you are from UA. I hope you stay safe and get away. Fuck Russia.
Right now I can get anywhere I want, the only catch is that I can only leave through Crimea into Russia and from there I can go anywhere I want, my documents are prepared in advance, it's all a financial matter at this point, I was able to apply for financial aid from my government a couple of days ago, if I will be approved then I will be receiving roughly $50 per month, all I would have to do is just to sit in Ukraine until I have the amount of money that I need and then I can leave, although the odds are pointing towards me leaving to Germany, that is the most likely scenario. Thank you, sir, for caring about this matter, I appreciate it. As for my job, I am sort of the freelance type of person, although I used to have a regular job, I was let go due to nepotism, this was exactly two months before the war broke out, right now I make my money through being the local tech support guy who knows how to fix things.

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
My friend in Russia who against the war meet with new divorce. With him last time trying meeting small childs who doesn't give the name and try to know his name.(most interesting adults not made it) started when he's capture by police and after with him kids trying to meet with him. He's thinking when speak with they write article on him and he's going to jail.

winjer

Gold Member
Slightly related tankie take

Sorry didn't meant to post my socials, I just wanted to post contens inside and that OP tweet there. Hope this is not taken as "self-promotion".

It' funny how Russia always tried to pass the narrative that when they defeated Nazi Germany, they freed eastern Europe.
When in reality, it was just a change in administration, from Hitler to Stalin. Exchanging a totalitarian, oppressive and genocidal regime, for another.

Top Bottom