• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

winjer

Gold Member
Imagine being a soldier in what you were raised to believe is one of the best armies in the world and that guy being your commander. I would defect at the first fucking chance.

Slava Ukraini motherfucker ✊

So true.
But even the Russian soldiers have realized that, and are now running away, leaving all their equipment behind.
Hopefully, they won't get tired soon, so they can run away all the way back to their shithole country.

FunkMiller

A lot of the reports trickling in from Luhansk and Kherson feel like there’s some kind of softening up of the command structure going on, before what I hope is a counter offensive to take one or both regions back. The Russians are clearly in disarray, and the Ukrainians can probably pick and chose which frontline they intend to target next. When you have command of the air space, can fire missiles at will from a safe distance, and have all the equipment you need, you are just about in the best position it’s possible to be in for an attacking force.

the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A lot of the reports trickling in from Luhansk and Kherson feel like there’s some kind of softening up of the command structure going on, before what I hope is a counter offensive to take one or both regions back. The Russians are clearly in disarray, and the Ukrainians can probably pick and chose which frontline they intend to target next. When you have command of the air space, can fire missiles at will from a safe distance, and have all the equipment you need, you are just about in the best position it’s possible to be in for an attacking force.

In Kherson Ukraine took a beating to open the bridgehead past the first line of defense, since then they’ve been just grinding the orcs away little by little while preserving their forces.

Recently the Russians blew up a dam and reportedly the bridgehead got flooded, so who knows what will happen.

Zaporihzhia front is heavily fortified as well.

On the other side, the orcs have been degraded so much the can only do offensive maneuvers in the Donetsk front.

I think Ukraine is hoping winter will kill many orcs since they’re poorly equipped but meanwhile population suffers… in some areas of Kherson they’ve been very aggressively going door to door emptying peoples homes.

In any case they’re running out of troops… Wagner is recruiting in prisons and Russia is hoping international allies will provide soldiers.

War sucks, Russia sucks.

Lady Jane

Banned
So when we still get people coming into this thread with ‘concern’ posts and worrying about how Russia can ‘turn things around’ it sounds like they either don’t understand what’s going on, or are pro-Russian and sucking on the copium. There are no other valid reasons for having these opinions.

Saying I don't like how Western media is covering, and still saying I support Ukraine, does not make it right to ask me leading question to imply I support Russia. And just by defending myself on this, I am now being accused of concern posting. This is absurd. Anyone who reads what I have actually said knows I didn't imply any of this but it's not stopping some people here from pressuring me to be 100% on their side or to leave. I go back to this:

Essentially what I'm learning is:

Support Ukraine = "Ukraine supporter "
Support Ukraine + Not liking Western media's coverage of the war = "Russia supporter"

It is possible to not agree with Western media and still support Ukraine and if anything, it's the general opinion of most of Eastern Europe. And that is okay. It's not supporting Russia. It's not concern posting. That's absurd to think or even imply it. Grouping others to the opposite side of your support because their opinions doesn't 100% align is destructive.

We're spending Christmas in Poznan this year and going to stay for a few weeks. I'm excited since this is the first time I've seen my family since the invasion. One of my cousins who's married to a Russian and lives in Rostov is going to make it down for a few days so I'm excited since I was worried that I couldn't see her. Fortunately, the EU didn't do a travel ban which would split up a lot of families. I hope one day some of you visit the region to gain perspective of who they are, their culture, and to feel the pulse of the nations because like I said, if you find my takes on Western media (which are modest at best) are "concern trolling" or however you wish to label it then you have a misrepresentation of the general populace there because their distaste for it is vigorous and yes, they 100% don't support the invasion. Seeing people here proudly support Ukrainians and then having that take is odd to say the least.

The perspective here is narrow and focused, to a degree where it's more of cheering than discussing. I know many in this thread wish for me to stop talking so they can continue looking at this war like a video game territory map and you'll be happy to know that I'll grant you that gift. I avoided this thread because I talk about this enough in my family group chats but I wanted to convey that I didn't like the Western media's coverage of this war. This has led to heavy implications that are ridiculous and don't have sense.

I'm sure more implications to me will come from this post and it will make that person feel better. Though before I let you be, if you want to help out, don't donate money. Donate supplies. At least some of that will get to the people that deserve it.

Ironbunny

Saying I don't like how Western media is covering, and still saying I support Ukraine, does not make it right to ask me leading question to imply I support Russia. And just by defending myself on this, I am now being accused of concern posting. This is absurd. Anyone who reads what I have actually said knows I didn't imply any of this but it's not stopping some people here from pressuring me to be 100% on their side or to leave. I go back to this:

It is possible to not agree with Western media and still support Ukraine and if anything, it's the general opinion of most of Eastern Europe. And that is okay. It's not supporting Russia. It's not concern posting. That's absurd to think or even imply it. Grouping others to the opposite side of your support because their opinions doesn't 100% align is destructive.

We're spending Christmas in Poznan this year and going to stay for a few weeks. I'm excited since this is the first time I've seen my family since the invasion. One of my cousins who's married to a Russian and lives in Rostov is going to make it down for a few days so I'm excited since I was worried that I couldn't see her. Fortunately, the EU didn't do a travel ban which would split up a lot of families. I hope one day some of you visit the region to gain perspective of who they are, their culture, and to feel the pulse of the nations because like I said, if you find my takes on Western media (which are modest at best) are "concern trolling" or however you wish to label it then you have a misrepresentation of the general populace there because their distaste for it is vigorous and yes, they 100% don't support the invasion. Seeing people here proudly support Ukrainians and then having that take is odd to say the least.

The perspective here is narrow and focused, to a degree where it's more of cheering than discussing. I know many in this thread wish for me to stop talking so they can continue looking at this war like a video game territory map and you'll be happy to know that I'll grant you that gift. I avoided this thread because I talk about this enough in my family group chats but I wanted to convey that I didn't like the Western media's coverage of this war. This has led to heavy implications that are ridiculous and don't have sense.

I'm sure more implications to me will come from this post and it will make that person feel better. Though before I let you be, if you want to help out, don't donate money. Donate supplies. At least some of that will get to the people that deserve it.

You have yet provided any counter article or news of what western media gets wrong?

You're welcome to join the discussion or start a new one at any time.

FunkMiller

Saying I don't like how Western media is covering, and still saying I support Ukraine, does not make it right to ask me leading question to imply I support Russia. And just by defending myself on this, I am now being accused of concern posting. This is absurd. Anyone who reads what I have actually said knows I didn't imply any of this but it's not stopping some people here from pressuring me to be 100% on their side or to leave.

Here's is your original statement:

Who knows. It's difficult to follow this war with how slanted networks are these days. It's a constant "Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass! Is Putin preparing for surrender?" type speech every day. Even when Russia advances on a sector, I feel like the Ukraine positivity gets cranked up to cover for negative news. When I see a rise of Ukraine talking points, I'm not sure what's really going on anymore. I've gotten desensitized from it.

In this, your implication is that the news media is slanted, and that you can't necessarily trust where the conflict is at by watching it.

I tried to point out that we aren't getting our information from just news media, but more directly from reliable sources. You say that the positivity about Ukraine gets 'cranked up' just because all the news reports are positive.

But we're not relying on news media. We're being very positive about what Ukraine are doing due to the information supplied by military and governmental organisations, as well as on the ground verified eye witnesses, in posts that have been checked, and from respectable analysts.

I've suggested you stop just watching TV, and do a little more proactive work in how you're getting your info. That might reassure you just how badly Russia is getting its pathetic arse kicked by Ukraine.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

In Kherson Ukraine took a beating to open the bridgehead past the first line of defense, since then they’ve been just grinding the orcs away little by little while preserving their forces.

Recently the Russians blew up a dam and reportedly the bridgehead got flooded, so who knows what will happen.

On the other side, the orcs have been degraded so much the can only do offensive maneuvers in the Donetsk front.

I think Ukraine is hoping winter will kill many orcs since they’re poorly equipped but meanwhile population suffers… in some areas of Kherson they’ve been very aggressively going door to door emptying peoples homes.

In any case they’re running out of troops… Wagner is recruiting in prisons and Russia is hoping international allies will provide soldiers.

War sucks, Russia sucks.

RAÏSanÏa

Ain't nobody judging the media in this thread or how this war has been covered. I don't even know why you're bringing it up. It's pretty obvious we're navigating the narrative just fine, and if you want to follow the conversation here, and the sources which we are self-moderating, maybe you wouldn't be so confused. It's really not that hard to follow along - honestly.

The fuck else it supposed to be? Some downer thread deeply analyzing Russian cleverness and success? Even if that was happening, and it was to some extent at the start of the war, they sure supply enough comedy for us to find distraction. But no, when military takes our your regional naval fleet - and your flagship - all while not having a navy you don't get to own the narrative. So yeah, when we don't want to think about Russians raping 3 year old kids and murdering women and children by the thousands we post some fuck Russia jokes... Yeah, forgive us.

How about this. You start a thread that focuses on the deep dark dialogue around Russian success, their rapes, their torturing, and keep their humiliation out of it.. go fo that, leave the clownshown for us to be entertained.
That's just it. These people use the thread as a soapbox for their vague talking point about Western news media and apply it inappropriately to the participants in the thread.

It's been pretty obvious from the beginning where most participants get their information. Had users at the start tell me the same things about Western news sources.

Yes, everyone does question, it's why the savvy didn't fall for biolabs and those that did it was easy to trace the sources of their misinformation.

And that's just it, these anti-Western news propagandist give more the sense that they're upset the thread doesn't waste its time arguing about biolabs and other Russian propaganda.

akimbo009

Gold Member
That's just it. These people use the thread as a soapbox for their vague talking point about Western news media and apply it inappropriately to the participants in the thread.

It's been pretty obvious from the beginning where most participants get their information. Had users at the start tell me the same things about Western news sources.

Yes, everyone does question, it's why the savvy didn't fall for biolabs and those that did it was easy to trace the sources of their misinformation.

And that's just it, these anti-Western news propagandist give more the sense that they're upset the thread doesn't waste its time arguing about biolabs and other Russian propaganda.

We literally post Russian media in here..it's not our fault it sounds like the b-side of a Nazi propaganda record.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Details on the recent $600M in security assistance for Ukraine..

Here's the list - notable are more HIMARS ammo, and cold weather gear.

Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
36,000 105mm artillery rounds;
1,000 precision-guided 155mm artillery rounds;
Four counter-artillery radars;
Four trucks and eight trailers to transport heavy equipment;
Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Mine clearing equipment;
Claymore anti-personnel munitions;
Demolition munitions and equipment;
Small arms and ammunition;
Night vision devices, cold weather gear, and other field equipment.

Imagine being a soldier in what you were raised to believe is one of the best armies in the world and that guy being your commander. I would defect at the first fucking chance.

Slava Ukraini motherfucker ✊
That's what happens when you employ Military commanders based on loyalty rather than competence. It never works out in the end.

SpiceRacz

I sympathize with you. It's like I said here before... this is nothing more than a feel good and meme thread. There is no point in having any actual discussion. If you present any discussion point aside from praising Ukraine in here there are a select few posters that are quick to call you names because they disagree with you and apparently they got it all figured out.

Exhibit B. See above.

You guys are wasting your breath.

It's the same behavior and, unsurprisingly, the same people from the Covid thread.

Forsete

IWasInSeinfeld IWasInSeinfeld how are you?

I read this today. This account is run by Ukrainians living in Sweden.

It says "In RU occupied Horlovka an additional 6000 men are being mobilized, but there are almost no more men left. The Horlovka citizens that were in the 9th marine infantry regiment in Cherson region have apparently refused to fight and therefore sent to the front without weapons, since the 11th of march nobody has heard from them"

I don't want to see you mobilized by desperate russian pigs.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I sympathize with you. It's like I said here before... this is nothing more than a feel good and meme thread. There is no point in having any actual discussion. If you present any discussion point aside from praising Ukraine

This again.. Well, no shit Sherlock.. THAT'S THE POINT. I mean, what did you pouting-people really expect from a thread about a peaceful country of peaceful citizens being invaded, plundered, raped, tortured and murdered..? Why do you feel the urge for a "balanced" political discussion around this, and on a site where political discussions are generally banned in the first place..? I don't get it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Sad news, another mass grave found:

Other sources (like CNN) have recently reported some of the bodies show signs of torture.

It's shame Russia is led by a madman who would likely use his nukes if NATO members intervened more directly. This needs to end.

MrA

Sad news, another mass grave found:

[/URL]

Other sources (like CNN) have recently reported some of the bodies show signs of torture.

It's shame Russia is led by a madman who would likely use his nukes if NATO members intervened more directly. This needs to end.
The problem goes deeper (though I doubt the oligarchy and military hierarchy would ever let Putin use nukes, especially with how much face he's lost), too many Russians don't value their own lives. In the entier soviet invasion of Afganistan like 15k men died, we're looking at like 2-3x that number in a fraction of the time.
Yes himars are a devastating weapon, but normal people that value their lives should be surrendering in drove when the enemy has a weapon that can shove a rocket up your rear end from 50 miles away.
By comparison during ww2 German forces would basically instantly surrender if a Crocodile appeared on the battlefield and they didn't have mechanized support (anyone that hasn't heard of them the crocodile was a flame-throwing tank that the average German soldier did not want a piece) If the Russians gave a damn about their own lives they'd be like, yeah they got rockets we can't do anything about let's surrender.

Oh, it's going to be lovely when the Ukrainians are wearing brand new US cold weather gear, and the Orks are all wearing crappy, twenty year old, thin Russian shit. Glorious.
Hopefully, winter will be harder on the Russians, the usual soviet winter tactic was to run away and scorch the earth, which running away is totally fine for the Ukrainians as if they scurry back to Russia, mission accomplished. Crimea is still a big concern though, right now the Ukrainians are burning through conscripts and felons and other low morale undertrained units, I can't imagine that the most veteran Russian regulars and the Spetznaz will be so incompetent. If Putin has any sense at all those are the forces that are stationed in Crimea, though given how completely idiotically he's been doing things hopefully, I'm overestimating his planning and his best forces.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

War sucks, Russia sucks.

Ukraine needs to stay aggressive. They need to keep it going. Pound those mother fuckers into oblivion. Assholes, to say the absolute least. Murderers, rapists, inhumane fucking scum. Break their existence apart. The things they have done to the meek are unacceptable.

Last edited:
IWasInSeinfeld IWasInSeinfeld how are you?

I read this today. This account is run by Ukrainians living in Sweden.

It says "In RU occupied Horlovka an additional 6000 men are being mobilized, but there are almost no more men left. The Horlovka citizens that were in the 9th marine infantry regiment in Cherson region have apparently refused to fight and therefore sent to the front without weapons, since the 11th of march nobody has heard from them"

I don't want to see you mobilized by desperate russian pigs.

I personally haven't heard of anything like that in Kherson region yet, otherwise it would have been known already by the majority of people, but I am personally doing as fine as I can right now, I am still planning on leaving Kherson region and move to Ukrainian territory that isn't occupied because it will be too expensive for me to move elsewhere, so I am in the middle of making money that can guarantee my escape, I know the danger of moving to Ukrainian cities that still receive their dose of shelling every now and then, but it will still be better than to live under Russian occupation and have a status of... well, nobody really.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
No you don't understand. Try to speak with them to change opinion about war.
Odesskaya hunta, ivanko brin are trying to speak with them but it is useless 😔

Top Bottom