• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, there's multiple reports of automatic fire in Kherson (recordings included).

Explosions and such yeah, that was the norm, but automatic fire means close combat. No one knows why it is happening.

Personally, I think the local partisans got into a turf with the orcs. The actual ukrainian army, while very close to kherson, it's nowhere close to actually attempt to have a go at it, IMHO, unless they're doing something crazy like an amphibious assault.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
Just noticed that one of my childhood synth bands did something big, Alphaville were one of those groups who's music opened up the world, and made alot of things happen. The singer got old, but damn, he still holds a tune, and above all, this really felt nice. Look at 1.25 in video.

t5jc5cC.jpg

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
Not alot of people nowadays remember just how a huge part some bands meant for the wall to fall in Germany, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, AlphaVille, all really made huge contributions to making the wall fall in Germany. It is really nice to see that they are again getting involved in this..

Old farts, still care.

winjer

Gold Member
A reminder that today is the anniversary of the the Russian invasion of Poland in 1939.
Russia and Germany signed the Molotov–Ribbentrop pact, by which Poland was conquered and divided as spoils of war.
Unlike what Soviet propaganda would have us believe, Russia never liberated Poland. They conquered half, while allied with Nazi Germany. And after Germany attacked Russia, they conquered the rest, and kept it until the fall of the USSR.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A reminder that today is the anniversary of the the Russian invasion of Poland in 1939.
Russia and Germany signed the Molotov–Ribbentrop pact, by which Poland was conquered and divided as spoils of war.
Unlike what Soviet propaganda would have us believe, Russia never liberated Poland. They conquered half, while allied with Nazi Germany. And after Germany attacked Russia, they conquered the rest, and kept it until the fall of the USSR.

Unrelated: in recent polls, only 2% of poles had a positive opinion of Russia, the lowest across the EU.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Quiet day.

On Kherson, Ukrainians plan to sloooowly grind down the orcs to a fine red mist continues without hiccups.
Zaporihzhia, the stable front, is, uh, stable.
Donetsk, the orcs claim to have taken an electric transformer on the outsides of Bahkmut. Ukrainians liberated a couple towns near Lyman and continue the assault on the town.
Kharkiv/Luhansk: Ukrainians are starting to make moves eastward, using artillery.

At this point it's clear to me what the master Ukrainian plan is: cut the land bridge to Mordor but not through Zaporihzhia, but rather through Donetsk, eliminating any possibility that the orcs can claim their political goals. Losing Luhansk and Donetsk would be humiliating and untenable to Sauron. At that point severing the Kerch bridge would isolate all the enemy troops in Ukraine, and use that threat to force a surrender.

Meanwhile, the orcs are scraping the bottom of the barrel as is - wagner has been recorded trying to recruit convicts, and the diplomatic envoys are trying to get friendly nations to lend troops. While we don't know the success of wagner recruitment efforts, we do know so far only the chechen goatfucker supreme, Kadirov, is sending soldiers to the front albeit in small numbers. There is a very real chance Moscow is exhausting it's force-generating resources.

QSD

Not alot of people nowadays remember just how a huge part some bands meant for the wall to fall in Germany, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, AlphaVille, all really made huge contributions to making the wall fall in Germany. It is really nice to see that they are again getting involved in this..

Old farts, still care.

I'm happy enough to nod along to this, but please no Hasselhoff

Kenpachii

It's almost like, the west could just destroy your critical infastructure also u know and u will die freezing in your shithole country. Honestly west should just make long range shit that ukraine can throw at there energy installations and basically cripple them entirely

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's almost like, the west could just destroy your critical infastructure also u know and u will die freezing in your shithole country. Honestly west should just make long range shit that ukraine can throw at there energy installations and basically cripple them entirely
As much as I'd love them to allow Ukraine to bomb the fuck out of Russia's critical infrastructure and the pleasure it would give me to see Russians suffer, all it will do is bolster Putin and throw the Russian population behind him and ultimately prolong this war, we want this war to hurt him financially, militarily and his popularity and so far we're doing exactly that, to change the plan now risks everything

winjer

Gold Member

Those bastards just tried to hit a nuclear reactor in Ukraine. It's just by sheer luck, they didn't cause a major environmental disaster, that would affect most eastern Europe.
This is state sponsored terrorism By Russia.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Those bastards just tried to hit a nuclear reactor in Ukraine. It's just by sheer luck, they didn't cause a major environmental datastore, that would affect most eastern Europe.

If they are actually trying to strike a nuclear plant then they have lost the plot. Chernobyl was only short of a continental disaster because the explosion itself only affected a single reactor core and then was immediately covered by an endless supply of fodder that the Soviets were willing to sacrifice because they knew no one would know.

A full fledged missile strike on a large plant is damn near M.A.D. levels of thinking. The fallout from a solid strike against a fully active facility could be death for the region.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Those bastards just tried to hit a nuclear reactor in Ukraine. It's just by sheer luck, they didn't cause a major environmental datastore, that would affect most eastern Europe.

I think now it's only fair that the Ukrainians are given the capabilities to strike back at Russian critical infrastructure. The Russians won't really get it until shit starts blowing up at scale back home.

FunkMiller

I’d imagine covert espionage operations are either coming soon, or are already underway. We can look forward to a lot more ‘accidents’ at Russian infrastructure in the future. I’d also imagine wet work is now a thing again. All those Cold War techniques being dusted off.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I’d imagine covert espionage operations are either coming soon, or are already underway. We can look forward to a lot more ‘accidents’ at Russian infrastructure in the future. I’d also imagine wet work is now a thing again. All those Cold War techniques being dusted off.

All we need is some brave bastard to leak Putin's itinerary so that certain agencies can send in the stealth drones to pay the prick a visit.

Kerotan

I have a funny feeling with lend lease starting in October the state's with announce some tasty weapons and equipment transfers.

And we're coming up on 4 months since Ukrainian pilots started getting training in the state's so there's a possibility aircraft could be sent.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Have you guys seen these before? Ukraine designed their own sniper rifles a few years back called Snipex Alligator. They can engage armor, even piercing 10mm plating from distance. I want one of these in the next ARMA.

zv3ywku.jpg

Holy shit that sniper is bigger than Master Chief's.

And she's holding two :messenger_astonished:

nemiroff

Gold Member

Those bastards just tried to hit a nuclear reactor in Ukraine. It's just by sheer luck, they didn't cause a major environmental disaster, that would affect most eastern Europe.

Fuck me.. This makes my heart race extra hard 'cause my brother in law is a reactor boss on that plant.. I guess I'll get a call from my wife soon, geezus..

Edit: Wait, it was last night.. Hmm, I guess someone's trying to not worry his family..

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Crazy lucky guy (edit 1: had to remove the embedded link due to annoying autoplay)

Helmet saves an American volunteer's life. ''A rocket bounced off my head?!''

Anyway, just talked to my wife about the missile falling down near the nuclear power plant (her brother was at work there at the time), she said she was told it was headed towards Mykolaiv and was shot down. So probably not aimed at the nuclear plant.

Edit 3: This is just the general notion from the people in that area and no confirmation of facts whatsoever. IDK for sure whether it was aimed at the plant or not.

Edit 2: And this is..interesting.. almost gave me the chills:

Last edited:
Top Bottom