• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse crunching team served 11,500 dinners by ship date #rysefacts

EvB

holy shit all you spergs screaming "faux-outrage" over people laughing at them being proud of forced crunch periods. work-life balance is ridiculously important and these guys have the axe over their heads if they don't comply. it doesn't fucking matter if it's an industry reality, it shouldn't be, and it's certainly not a gloating point.

I didn't even know what that meant until I just googled it.

Classy

Arkage

Banned
The people crying out "Don't judge it could be reasonable!" are seemingly ignoring the point of this person twittering the number in the first place.

MilkBeard

holy shit all you spergs screaming "faux-outrage" over people laughing at them being proud of forced crunch periods. work-life balance is ridiculously important and these guys have the axe over their heads if they don't comply. it doesn't fucking matter if it's an industry reality, it shouldn't be, and it's certainly not a gloating point.

Can't speak for others, but I say 'faux outrage' to the people who get mad and write some twitter comments, and then go back to their daily lives and not try to affect change.

my dad works overtime and just the other week I chose to work a single 13 hour shift at the mcdonalds counter. maybe these idiots should buckle up and get with the times???

Codeblew

There are a lot of "what ifs" being thrown around from a single tweet.

But, if they were unpaid, yeah that's an issue. That's piss poor work practice.

Most software development jobs are salary. You think they would have crunch time if they were paid hourly?

I don't remember the outrage when the developers of Red Faction Guerrilla announced in GameInformer that they went through 6000 pizzas during crunch.

What has changed between then and now?

I already know the answer

Ravidrath

my dad works overtime and just the other week I chose to work a single 13 hour shift at the mcdonalds counter. maybe these idiots should buckle up and get with the times???

You got overtime pay. You and your father problem chose to work overtime, too, based on a cost benefit analysis.

Game developers almost never do, and are often times expected to work 4-8 additional hours a day for months on end.

While there is technically nothing "forcing" or requiring them to stay and work those additional hours, lack of "effort" when crunching can come up during reviews or lead managers to invent other reasons to let you go.

And if you work at EA or some other studios owned by publicly-traded publishers, chances are you're going to get laid off at the end of the project or the year for all your hard work anyway.

Jackson

Sprinting is OK. Crunching is not OK.

Staying late a week or two here or there before a big milestone (like E3) or working a couple of Saturdays here and there is fine. That's Sprinting.

But crunching for 3+ months straight 6+ days a week for 12+ hours at a time is terrible.

No one pays overtime in software to fulltime employees.

Can't speak for others, but I say 'faux outrage' to the people who get mad and write some twitter comments, and then go back to their daily lives and not try to affect change.

Well I left AAA because during my last crunch my wife had to have surgery, and I realized I had been squandering our years together so I pulled back hardcore (to regular work hours), still did a ton of work, (more than many) and got treated like shit because of it.

I think it's a broken cycle that only rich motherfuckers who run studios can change. I hear many people at Avalanche leave at like 6 at latest.

if there was a union and we got compensated properly for overtime, I'd have less of an issue because I could have like saved up for my daughter to go to college. But staying late just cuz there's some bullshit deadline? Yeah, no.

Paz

I quit my industry job in February in an attempt to affect change on the way I (and later hopefully others) develop games. The majority of twitter posts noted in the OP are from prominent developers & journalists who are for sure doing more to effect change than those in this thread throwing out terms like 'faux outrage'.

Desty

Banned
Wow, 11,500 dinners people could have spent with like their family or loved ones. The game industry continues to claim the title of worst work environments.

JABEE

You got overtime pay. You and your father problem chose to work overtime, too, based on a cost benefit analysis.

Game developers almost never do, and are often times expected to work 4-8 additional hours a day for months on end.

While there is technically nothing "forcing" or requiring them to stay and work those additional hours, lack of "effort" when crunching can come up during reviews or lead managers to invent other reasons to let you go.
That sucks.

jaypah

I don't remember the outrage when the developers of Red Faction Guerrilla announced in GameInformer that they went through 6000 pizzas during crunch.

What has changed between then and now?

I already know the answer

The internet did a 180!

Also, "spergs"? Please get the fuck out with that stupid shit. I didn't even know that was a thing until I just searched it.

I quit my industry job in February in an attempt to affect change on the way I (and later hopefully others) develop games. The majority of twitter posts noted in the OP are from prominent developers & journalists who are for sure doing more to effect change than those in this thread throwing out terms like 'faux outrage'.

Here here! Hey, I demoed at the Intel booth alongside some of your peeps at PAX.

rbanke

I replied to that when Wario64 retweeted it

Rich Banke ‏@rbanke 2h
@RyseGame @Wario64 bragging about poor industry work conditions?

I stand by it. I am honestly amazed that people think the insane amount of crunch time dev's are essentially forced into (because what are they going to do, go somewhere else..where the same thing happens?) is ok. I simply think making light of your employees working to death is in poor taste.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

So on point.

I had to literally eat a chicken nugget off my boss's erect dick to retain my unpaid internship.

It's 2013 you whiners, get with the nugget or GTFO.

Rubius

Congratulations on being a doormat.

I work hard and I'm willing to do long hours or do more job to get a better job in the future. Started working at 13 yo. Did many different job, working and going to school at the same time. Did 24 hours straight once in a convenience store job, did several other 24 hours, 30 hours in other jobs.
I'm 24 and have a well paid job, I regret nothing. I'm a money guy, I dont care about how much time I spend at work.

Zeth

wow - nevermind the fact you can't make up your mind about "faux outrage" and whether it's real or not.

DrBo42

Wow, 11,500 dinners people could have spent with like their family or loved ones. The game industry continues to claim the title of worst work environments.

VFX industry is the same way, friend. It's the nature of any big creative endeavor with a strict launch or release window. I'm pretty sure the guys at WETA would laugh at these numbers.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I work hard and I'm willing to do long hours or do more job to get a better job in the future. Started working at 13 yo. Did many different job, working and going to school at the same time. Did 24 hours straight once in a convenience store job, did several other 24 hours, 30 hours in other jobs.
I'm 24 and have a well paid job, I regret nothing. I'm a money guy, I dont care about how much time I spend at work.

I personally find this an absolutely horrible outlook on life. Just gross.

JABEE

Software development in general does not qualify for OT.
That's a shame.

If you are working 14 hours a day for 3 months, you should be compensated for that not for what the job description portrays the job as.

Why is there opposition to unions in game development? Is it a viable option?

MilkBeard

Good to hear. And yes, I detect your subtle aggression. I'm just trying to help people get out of arguing on twitter and the message board and actually take action. That is, if the situation really does bother you. I'm not the one screaming fowl here, although I do understand there are legitimate problems in this industry.

That said, if you randomly make a rage comment on twitter at some social media intern for using the word 'crunch,' I don't think it's really helping much. Now, enough people have taken notice because there are a lot of people reacting, but you can kind of get the gist of how people outside of the industry respond to this kind of behavior just by reading this thread.

Thus my statement that if it really bothers you, then work for that change.

DTKT

Your outlook on life is your very own but generally, crunch time isn't rewarding from a monetary standpoint. I've worked with one really big company in Montreal and the developers got very little perks out of crunch. Usually, they are salaried and the supposed OT is transferred into vacation time but that rarely happens and is not official.

You also have to account for families. I'm sure that a 24 years old young workers has a different perspective than a 10 years veteran with 3 kids and a wife at home.

Were all those jobs that paid hourly? If I negotiated an annual pay with expectations of a 40 hour work week, I would definitely be pissed if I was forced to work 60 hour weeks at the same pay.

Lime

I love that fucking console wars are used as defending the poor work conditions and worker rights in the gaming industry.

So on point.

I had to literally eat a chicken nugget off my boss's erect dick to retain my unpaid internship.

It's 2013 you whiners, get with the nugget or GTFO.

Post of the thread

danielcw

but surely you understand that the initial tweet and the concept it rests upon are the issue here?
[...]
hey, it is actually kinda oblivious and disrespectful, and maybe this is not what needs to be done with regards to the issue of crunch hours in game development.

I don't really understand that, because it has not been communicated in the initial responses in the OP.

Crunching may be a bad thing, it likely is - the more the worse I guess.
But I do not see, how the tweet is disrespectful?
And the initial responses quoted in the OP attacked the tweet, and not really the issue of crunching.

The Goat

Well, when you take people that are passionate about what they do, and actually truly love doing it, it's very easy to take advantage of that. It's almost a Stockholm syndrome of sorts, in that some devs love the crunch time. It's nuts.

Top Bottom