• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse crunching team served 11,500 dinners by ship date #rysefacts

JABEE

Mega bank or not, the constant crunching is why the industry is unable to keep talent for long periods of time or why people just leave the industry once they start having families. Crunch times are signs of a failure when it comes to project management and its not normal that a project is in crunch time for a frigging year.

I don't want to imagine the mental state or even the quality of work being done when the team is in crunch mode for so long.
Crunch time can last a year? How many hours a day would someone work for a year on a project?

Steaks

Your imagination seems to be having absolutely no trouble whipping up whatever situation you've decided is the case, given that you have almost no info to go on regarding actual context.

Let's say there's 150 people working on this game. Let's be nice and say these people are working 10 hour days (the minimum for a catered dinner). That's about... 3 months of ~11 per 6 day weeks total. The extra hour is from commute.

That is the most forgiving scenario here. They could be working more hours, that's just based off dinners.

Sounds pretty rough IMO!

Dartastic

Did anyone do the math on this? Real bullshit math that was done on my phone just now with an estimate of 200 people on the team shows that they've been in crunch for two months.

Oop, Steaks just did that just above me. Haha.

AdamMPSP

#RyseFacts Along with 11,500 dinners, we served our team 8,000 breakfasts that cut the roofs of 8,000 mouths. #Crunch #CapnCrunch

We provide all of our workers younger than 18 with Breakfast, Lunch and Supper 7 days a week! #TriangleShirtwaist #1910

If you need a crunch team that works nights for that long to deliver on a project, middle and upper management needs to be let go.

B.O.O.M

Tweet backfire..but I honestly didn't think it would. It's such a non-tweet lol if that makes any sense. It's not even a very good 'fun fact' as they believe

antitrop

Tweet backfire..but I honestly didn't think it would. It's such a non-tweet lol if that makes any sense. It's not even a very good 'fun fact' as they believe
I agree. I think it's innocuous and stupid, but not a good springboard for a serious conversation about industry working standards.

KaiserBecks

So...people are getting upset about hypothetical working conditions over a tweet that said how many dinners the team had? Ok.

By the way: Which team is working on Ryse? The guys in Frankfurt? As far as I know, the German Labor Law is fairly strict compared to others.

Is this the time to point out companies routinely make jobs exempt that the Department of Labor would determine non-exempt to avoid paying overtime?

My last employer got in serious trouble for that.

And Crytek has an immediate solution in providing facts of the situation, disproving the outrage. In a format as quick as started it. I'm working off the information available, being a tweet that implies a gigantic amount of overtime, and that they are proud of that, given that they tweeted it casually.
Just thought I would state that I think that runchtime is a bad thing. But expressing your distate in such a vehement and immmediate way over twitter is just stupid. Real social justice change is won in court houses, law houses, corporate governance meetings, etc... Emmancipation is not easy.

Our generation is breeding the idea that when you feel mad or sad about things and then post them on the internet with no backing action, and that things just change (or that you validate yourself through this expression). It makes me think nothing can ever change.

Majanew

Banned
Studios go into crunch time all the time when the game's projected release date nears. People just like being a bunch of drama queens.

You don't understand. Software devs don't get paid overtime. At least in the US. That's written into law.

Yeah, I guess we forgot about the "software developers don't get overtime pay" bill.

It all depends on company policy. Some people are salaried and still get OT.

Rubius

Crunch times and job insecurity. (Hello layoffs after a project ships!)

Don't forget that with the same skillset working in other software industries, you generally make way more money.

My father did overtime to do the accounting on his own lay off (They shipped all the accountant jobs to the USA). This situation is common at all desk jobs not simply the video game companies. There is a whole movie about how desk jobs and crunching suck.

My coding teacher actually told me " If you want to make money, dont go work for a video game company. People WANT to work for video games, while people dont want to work to make a accounting software. Software companies pay more than video games companies for that reason".

dongasaurus

Neo Member
Crunch being "acceptable" is a huge issue in the game industry. Unpaid crunch literally happens no where else in the tech industry. Companies abuse peoples love of games to meet unrealistic and poorly planned dead lines.

Drona

Banned
Microsoft and its devs have taken enough guff from the gaming community, its time they bark back.

Have all those self-entitled gaming-twats IP tracked, keep them from having a LIVE account. send them a letter with big words saying "we crunch hard, we dinner hard, deal with it"

in all seriousness, im glad i dont do twitter cause i would be wasting my time right now giving these people crap over a company that i hardly know. gotta learn to let things go......
and unpaid crunch hours...thats for the servants and their overlords to figure out. i mean what could gamers do to help the cause, seems like a can worms ready to burst when you bring unions into the scene.

MilkBeard

2UG9u7s.jpg

This is great. Should be the official boxart

Silky

Banned
Software devs don't get paid overtime. At least in the US. That's written into law.

Crytek isn't based in the US. I don't know which team from Cry is doing Ryse though, so maybe the circumstances are difference.

They are going unpaid, hence paying for the pizza. Salary = no overtime pay.

Gotta hear it from an employee first.

That was two years ago. Has there been any other accusations? Otherwise, Yerli seems pretty passionate regarding Cry's workspace in the article provided.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
This is silly - don't like it, don't work there. Ask CPAs about tax season, attorneys about trials, doctors about residency etc...

If they are violating the OT laws, bring an action.

Perkel

Banned
Can anyone point out a single development studio that is on the record for not having any crunch time?

I'm actually curious if there are any.

Someone joked about HL3 dev team but literally Valve is studio that tries to completely errase crunch. It is in their "new to valve" handbook. Gabe also mentioned how crunch is simply bad management and should exist in first place.

This is silly - don't like it, don't work there. Ask CPAs about tax season, attorneys about trials, doctors about residency etc...

If they are violating the OT laws, bring an action.

Which is it, if they don't like it- don't work there. Or if they don't like it- bring an action?

Let's say there's 150 people working on this game. Let's be nice and say these people are working 10 hour days (the minimum for a catered dinner). That's about... 3 months of ~11 per 6 day weeks total. The extra hour is from commute.

That is the most forgiving scenario here. They could be working more hours, that's just based off dinners.

Sounds pretty rough IMO!

But why all the hypotheticals?

I've got you here saying its 150 people and its been three months.

Another person saying its maybe 50 people and they've been crunching for a whole year.........

Who's to say all of those meals are to permanent employees?

It could be going to sub contracted employees on a rotary shift basis?

What if they've got 200? People? What if its five?

What if the OT pay is 4x salary pay?

Nobody knows anything.....

Software devs don't get paid overtime. At least in the US. That's written into law.

Really?

Wow......really?

Wow O_O

Gaz_RB

Man crunch time can be a fucking blast. I loved it in when I worked in journalism.

Until it gets to Team Bondi levels, I guess...

Majanew

Banned
Crunch being "acceptable" is a huge issue in the industry. Unpaid crunch literally happens no where else in the industry. Companies abuse peoples love of games to meet unrealistic and poorly planned dead lines.

Then stop buying almost all games then. Killzone SF, FM5, BF4, COD Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, etc are all in crunch mode right now to hit release. So do your part and don't support the industry.

JABEE

Microsoft and its devs have taken enough guff from the gaming community, its time they bark back.

Have all those self-entitled gaming-twats IP tracked, keep them from having a LIVE account. send them a letter with big words saying "we crunch hard, we dinner hard, deal with it"

in all seriousness, im glad i dont do twitter cause i would be wasting my time right now giving these people crap over a company that i hardly know. gotta learn to let things go......
and unpaid crunch hours...thats for the servants and their overlords to figure out. i mean what could gamers do to help the cause, seems like a can worms ready to burst when you bring unions into the scene.

A lot of the people upset at these comments are people who work in the industry, not console warriors or haters.

PureGone

Banned
Bad tweet. I understand that some facts are fun even if the core message is bad, even if crunch time we have is sometimes fun moments with team, but.... No. Its not a ''funfact'' on my point of view.

Curious to see how Crytek employee will reacting to this ?

Assuming they dont want to get fired, im guessing they will support it.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Which is it, if they don't like it- don't work there. Or if they don't like it- bring an action?

If you don't get paid for it and they aren't violating the OT laws, don't work there. If they are violating the OT laws, bring a class action - happens all the time.

jem0208

But why all the hypotheticals?

I've got you here saying its 150 people and its been three months.

Another person saying its maybe 50 people and they've been crunching for a whole year.........

Who's to say all of those meals are to permanent employees?

It could be going to sub contracted employees on a rotary shift basis?

What if they've got 200? People? What if its five?

What if the OT pay is 4x salary pay?

Nobody knows anything.....

And this is why this "outrage" is pretty ridiculous.

DoomGyver

PJncXnU.gif

Top Bottom