• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse crunching team served 11,500 dinners by ship date #rysefacts

@killzone: By the time #ShadowFall releases, we'll have served the @killzone team over 12,000 dinners throughout development. #KillzoneFacts

Responses:

'Wow, that's a lot of guerrilla meat! Good on you team!'

'Oh man, bet none of those dinners tastes as good as 60 FPS multiplayer! #killzonerulez'

'Hey, any leftovers? No? Oh that's ok, I'm cool with just the game!'

Never thought I'd see Twitter fan-fiction.

Silky

Banned
rysex6ovq.png

1049.gif

save us fork parker

Perkel

Banned
This isn't just limited to game development either. I'm a developer (not a game developer, just run-of-the-mill embedded application development), and even our teams have crunch time. I've never worked on a product that came leisurely strolling through to the finish line, where every developer was putting in only 40 hour weeks at the very end. Marketing can always find a way to add new functionality or pull in the release schedule if it looks like things are moving too smoothly...

These responses just sound like people who have no software experience of any kind, pretending that they know better. At least the studio is feeding their employees - I'm lucky if my boss brings in some donuts if I'm working over the weekend.

It doesn't change the fact that crunching is a bad thing. Short crunching isn't really that bad but working for 14h 6-7 days a week for month or more is devastating to people regardless of job they have.

KKRT00

There is no question that crunching is a natural part of the development cycle, but you have to admit that bragging about the equivalent of 50 people crunching non-stop for an entire year is legitimate cause for concern. It's a very cavalier attitude to what sounds like a serious problem within the studio.

And where did You get this data? We dont know how many people work on Ryse, for how how many of the them crunching, or even for how long they are crunching.
Crysis 2 had 150 devs, Crysis 3 100 and Cevat said that Ryse is biggest investment for their studio

shuri

Banned
in this thread, people incredibly clueless about the gaming industry and how awful people are treated in it.

The posters who say "omg no big deal its just crunching time" really have NO fucking idea how awful it is, and how detrimental it is to their families. It's people like you that makes the gaming industry such grind and why the average gaming industry career length is like 5 years. It's people like you that would bend over to get a job in the industry because "i want to be the next miyamoto and stuff" and make the situation shittier for anyone serious about it.

I can't believe this. I never thought I'd see this reaction here on Gaf, I thought you guys would have known better.

How - How can anyone see this and conclude that the problem lies in the responses? I mean - sure, maybe you don't care about it, or you're resigned about the fact that crunches need to happen (in which case you'd be wrong, but whatever)... but surely you understand that the initial tweet and the concept it rests upon are the issue here? And that people who are getting angry over it have a reason to do so?

In a larger sense, when something happens on twitter and people don't like it, it's bound to seem like an outrage even if people are just expressing a slight annoyance, because everyone is doing so at the same time and twitter's format favors wit over nuance. No one is saying that this is the worst thing ever or that it only happens in the videogame industry or that employees should retire or whatever - people are just seeing this utterly oblivious and disrespectful tweet and are pointing out that, hey, it is actually kinda oblivious and disrespectful, and maybe this is not what needs to be done with regards to the issue of crunch hours in game development.

What other reaction can anyone have?!

I'm sick of seeing every single sociological issue being dismissed as yet another 'twitter outrage' when it comes to games. 'Why so serious' you ask? Because we're talking about people, ffs; the question that needs asking is, why can't anything be taken seriously! It's not because the discussion is related in some way to *games* that we should brush off anything that isn't instantly happy-fun! The least one can do is step out of their own self-interest bubble for a second and realize that the audience's carefree enjoyment isn't the only thing that needs talking about in a game or the games industry.

/rant, I'm outta here.

excellent

Steaks

in this thread, people incredibly clueless about the gaming industry and how awful people are treated in it.

The posters who say "omg no big deal its just crunching time" really have NO fucking idea how awful it is, and how detrimental it is to their families.

It's people like you that makes the gaming industry such grind and why the average gaming industry career length is like 5 years.

I don't think anyone saying "what's the big deal?" has worked 16 hour days on salary.

In California, on contract, that's some mega bank, at least.

MilkBeard

That faux outrage is ridiculous.

Exactly my thought when I read those responses.

EDIT: Wow, this topic has gotten pretty argumentative. I'll explain my reaction. Basically, what struck me is that people are overacting their reactions, as if Ryse having a crunch team was a rare occurrence in the industry. I understand that there are some touchy people here with this subject, but I must say, there are many more jobs that require crunching. Have you ever owned a restaurant? Prepare to spend 20+ extra hours a week working for nothing. Do you code for a company like Amazon? Same deal. It happens in other fields, not just video game development. Basically, people reacting on twitter as if this were a rare occurrence is what struck me as odd.

If people really felt so strongly about it, then I would expect them to join organizations that would work on making this kind of practice transparent, start a union, or something to that effect. But instead, we have people who overreact when something is posted on twitter. That about sums up the faux outrage.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Dunno if they still do it, but Crytek used to avoid hiring Germans at the German studio because they didn't want to have anyone who was knowledgable about local labor laws w/r/t overtime and weekend work.

Someone answer me, please.

Are we saying that the crytek employees are working almost double shifts 24/7 for months with no compensation?

I agree it's kinda dumb to flip out and be upset over this, but why did they think that was something worth sharing? Did they not get that they're implying they're working their employees so much that they have to stay at work past dinner time?

Satchel

Banned

The posters who say "omg no big deal its just crunching time" really have NO fucking idea how awful it is, and how detrimental it is to their families. It's people like you that makes the gaming industry such grind and why the average gaming industry career length is like 5 years. It's people like you that would bend over to get a job in the industry because "i want to be the next miyamoto and stuff" and make the situation shittier for anyone serious about it.

Overtime sucks regardless. Especially when it's overtime due to circumstances out of their control (the people forced to crunch I mean). But the reaction from some to this tweet is a touch dramatic.

Naminator

Banned
Valve's HL3 dev team
LOL I knew someone was going to give me that answer :)
I think the reason people are getting pissed is that it seems they are bragging about it.
Yeah I know why some people are outraged, and I actually agree with them(especially when you consider Crytech's history with crunch times), Crunch time is a horrible thing in my opinion, I'm actually looking forward to work in the industry, but things like crunch time put me off greatly as I think that they could damage family relations.

I was actually curious if there is a dev team out there who are anti-crunch time so to speak, and are on the record for not having any.

xelloss12

As a dev (not gaming, thank god), fuck crunch time. It's unavoidable, but well managed teams that do good estimates and limit their scopes appropriately minimize it. The longer it gets, the less benefit you get from it.

A dev working 40 hours a week has better productivity than a dev working 60-80 hours because the dev working 60-80 hrs a week will have tons of bugs in their code that will take many more hours later to find and fix.

Satch Fuji

Neo Member
In this thread, we realize that game developers know nothing about agile software practices.

Double true. The few game devs that have adopted Lean methodologies like Scrum or Kanban have drastically reduced so-called mandatory crunch and employees are much happier and more satisfied for it.

JoeBoy101

Is this the time to point out companies routinely make jobs exempt that the Department of Labor would determine non-exempt to avoid paying overtime?

My last employer got in serious trouble for that.

Dictator93 said:
The immediate outrage is hilarious without knowing the facts of the situation.

And Crytek has an immediate solution in providing facts of the situation, disproving the outrage. In a format as quick as started it. I'm working off the information available, being a tweet that implies a gigantic amount of overtime, and that they are proud of that, given that they tweeted it casually.

It's amazing the hate surrounding the Xbone. That anything to do with it gets swarmed with hateful comments, even the most innocent tweet is not immune to that haterade.

I agree with you, it is amazing. Hell, the Minute an Xbox One video hits YouTube, Boom 600 dislikes...

I think this is quite telling, and we will see how this "hate" affects the console sales in just a few months. Talk about a huge 180 in their public perception.

shuri

Banned
I don't think anyone saying "what's the big deal?" has worked 16 hour days on salary.

In California, on contract, that's some mega bank, at least.
Mega bank or not, the constant crunching is why the industry is unable to keep talent for long periods of time or why people just leave the industry once they start having families. Crunch times are signs of a failure when it comes to project management and its not normal that a project is in crunch time for a frigging year.

I don't want to imagine the mental state or even the quality of work being done when the team is in crunch mode for so long.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

and it's all the same variety of shithead that throws around "lazy devs," too.

Steaks

Mega bank or not, the constant crunching is why the industry is unable to keep talent for long periods of time or why people just leave the industry once they start having families. Crunch times are signs of a failure when it comes to project management and its not normal that a project is in crunch time for a frigging year.

I don't want to imagine the mental state or even the quality of work being done when the team is in crunch mode for so long.

Crunch times and job insecurity. (Hello layoffs after a project ships!)

Don't forget that with the same skillset working in other software industries, you generally make way more money.

DigiMish

It's embarrassing because our industry is trying to get rid of these kinds of things, not perpetuate them. Shame on whoever decided to tweet this - bad sport.

JABEE

Could you explain in detail the problems so that people can understand the issues that are hurting the games industry?

Why is unionization always considered off-limits and something that isn't done in gaming? Creating games requires specialized skills. Wouldn't stronger labor parties within gaming help mitigate this problem?

How is that the fault of the ignorant consumer? There is very little context being provided by those that do create games.

Your imagination seems to be having absolutely no trouble whipping up whatever situation you've decided is the case, given that you have almost no info to go on regarding actual context.

antitrop

We have to remember that the outrage here is over a tweet about dinner being served to developers working crunch on a next-gen console launch game. We have literally no other information.

If some Crytek dev wants to speak up, then we have something here. Until then, just ignore the tweet and move on.

I just think perhaps people should pick their battles more carefully.

Silky

Banned
People getting upset over common work practice baffles me. It's not pretty, but it sure as hell isn't the worst thing in the world.

As long as the devs get paid, I could care less.

The posters who say "omg no big deal its just crunching time" really have NO fucking idea how awful it is, and how detrimental it is to their families. It's people like you that makes the gaming industry such grind and why the average gaming industry career length is like 5 years. It's people like you that would bend over to get a job in the industry because "i want to be the next miyamoto and stuff" and make the situation shittier for an yone serious about it.

How do you spin a tweet with little to no information into something judging the industry as a whole???????

lefantome

Crunch is bad for:

- the game, these things, they take time
- the company who has to pay expensive extra hours
- the studio, it creates tension and talents burned out
- developers health

Yes, if you have a deadline it could be useful for a short period of times. But if it lasts months is because there is serious mismanagement which is harming, the product and the developer.
The cause should be removed from their positions. It doesn't seem to happen so often.

I don't know anything about crytek, but judging from ryse's development history it doesn't seem to have had a smooth one at all.

Find the cause and fix it.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Can anyone point out a single development studio that is on the record for not having any crunch time?

I'm actually curious if there are any.
Zindalgi, Relentless Software, and I've heard Avalanche Studios is trying to stamp it out.

BenouKat

Banned
Bad tweet. I understand that some facts are fun even if the core message is bad, even if crunch time we have is sometimes fun moments with team, but.... No. Its not a ''funfact'' on my point of view.

Curious to see how Crytek employee will reacting to this ?

DTKT

Your imagination seems to be having absolutely no trouble whipping up whatever situation you've decided is the case, given that you have almost no info to go on regarding actual context.

I dont think I've ever seen someone mention crunch time a positive way. It usually bad for everyone involved.

MrDaravon

Reading through this thread, it appears that you are sadly wasting your time with this post unfortunately. It is kind of interesting how it seems like large portions of GAF get extremely upset about corporate apologists/defenders, when that's a lot of what's going on in this thread.

The photoshops coming out of this are already pretty great though.

JWong

Banned

I have the info and been in the context.

Crunching is BAD in any job and any industry. It doesn't matter if you're compensated, people should not be overworked even if they want to. That's why we hire managers to prevent this shit.

Top Bottom