• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saint Seiya Omega: All New Saint Seiya TV Anime! |OT| - ATHENA, OPEN MY HAATO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Man those character designs are truly atrocious. Dame fuerza para soportar esta huevada, pegaso. :/

Dead

well not really...yet
Umakoshi designs are fucking amazing

Dat flair, dem dynamic poses and angles...

How can you hate?

Cwarrior

She wears a mask at first:

DZZnJ.jpg

she looks x10 better with the mask, hopefully she wears it at all times cause her face and eyes look fugly.

My heart bleeds. Even the stuff from Hades - Chapter Sanctuary and Heaven Chapter: Overture is pretty awesome.
Chapter Inferno took a hit, but it still looked decent aside from Dohko's wacky chin. All downhill from there on.

That thing though, I don't know what that is. I'll check it out, but the art is terrible, IMO.

It's probably because I don't have any childhood nostalgia to color my views, but I cannot understand how anyone could prefer those rather generic looking designs to Umakoshi's arresting personal style.

duckroll

I'm going to select my two favorite cuts from ep1:

O2ChW.jpg

uN5Sy.jpg

Someone should make animated gifs of both cuts. I really enjoyed those moments of dynamic perspective and finger movement.

Dead

well not really...yet
It's probably because I don't have any childhood nostalgia to color my views, but I cannot understand how anyone could prefer those rather generic looking designs to Umakoshi's arresting personal style.
The designs are 100% iconic, regardless of what you think of them, and while I dont understand how anyone could DISLIKE the new designs, I think its easy to see why many would prefer the older ones. Nostalgia does play a part, but 80s anime/manga genuinely have their own unique feel.

I wont pretend to not have a bias though, as this is coming from someone who did watch the original Seiya as a kid and had many of the original banda figures.

The difference is that the new designs are very shoujo. The shiny armor, the proportions, the body type, the eyes; it all screams shoujo which isn't everyone's cup of tea. While the original designs were still bishounen, the art style was distinctly shounen with a much grittier look. Considering this has always been a franchise aimed at males, I don't think it's that hard to believe.

I mean I have no nostalgia for the franchise since I watched it all a few months ago and I still find Umakoshi's style abysmal. I didn't love the original designs either outside some of the Gold Saints, but still...

Edit: And as said before, the original designs are iconic. A lot of iconic things are rather simplistic. You don't see people complaining about Mario's design.

7Th

People should just watch the episode, to be honest. It's very well-done and specially reminicent of the old show. The final 5~ minutes are excellent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
People still hating on Umakoshi. :mad:

My first Umakoshi exposure was Casshern Sins, and truth be told I thought it looked pretty ugly until I saw it in motion. Now I can't even imagine how I ever thought his style looked anything less than amazing.

The difference is that the new designs are very shoujo. The shiny armor, the proportions, the body type, the eyes; it all screams shoujo which isn't everyone's cup of tea. While the original designs were still bishounen, the art style was distinctly shounen with a much grittier look. Considering this has always been a franchise aimed at males, I don't think it's that hard to believe.

I associate Umakoshi's style so strongly with Casshern Sins, which is certainly not a shoujo show, that I am simply unable to make that connection.

I can understand preference for a different artistic style, especially for people who prefer their anime characters to have muscles out the wazoo, but I hope people can distinguish between that and the quality of the art. I don't want to hear anyone saying Umakoshi is a poor artist.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I mean I have no nostalgia for the franchise since I watched it all a few months ago and I still find Umakoshi's style abysmal. I didn't love the original designs either outside some of the Gold Saints, but still...

Edit: And as said before, the original designs are iconic. A lot of iconic things are rather simplistic. You don't see people complaining about Mario's design.
None of this has to do with the actual quality of the designs. Yes, they are different. But they aren't bad.

duckroll

I kinda wonder how fans would react if they got a different director on the project and Umakoshi used his other style on the character designs.

For those not familiar, there are two types of character designs Umakoshi is known for. There is this:

EQLWD.jpg
hAKa3.jpg

And then there is this:

vPklO.jpg

lKo2B.jpg
Rd54W.jpg

I associate Umakoshi's style so strongly with Casshern Sins, which is certainly not a shoujo show, that I am simply unable to make that connection.

I can understand preference for a different artistic style, especially for people who prefer their anime characters to have muscles out the wazoo, but I hope people can distinguish between that and the quality of the art. I don't want to hear anyone saying Umakoshi is a poor artist.

Depending on how you define "quality", I would say it's pretty subjective. The way I see it, the proportions are off, the characters look anorexic and the armor essentially being leotards makes no sense in context. Are these complaints any less valid than the ones for, say, Horizon?

Reknoc

I kinda wonder how fans would react if they got a different director on the project and Umakoshi used his other style on the character designs.

For those not familiar, there are two types of character designs Umakoshi is known for. There is this:

I prefer the former. The latter is, for better or worse, pretty much identical to the source material anyway.

Watched the episode, didn't like it as much as Lost Canvas, despite the nostalgia intro. But I see great potential once all the bronze saints are together.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Speaking as someone who has never seen St. Seiya before, and is therefore unbiased due to nostalgia, Umakoshi's designs are vastly superior to the old ones.

Instro

Yeah but anything not in the former style is straight up adaption from their source. At least as far as I know. Regardless I prefer the former, along with his Marie and Gali stuff as well. The thin character designs seem to better compliment his animation style, his battle scenes tend to make his characters look agile and so on. Air Master is ugly btw.

I imagine though that older fans would prefer an update of the old style.

Speaking as someone who has never seen St. Seiya before, and is therefore unbiased due to nostalgia, Umakoshi's designs are vastly superior to the old ones.

I agree in part since bronze saints started to get weirder armors over time. But so far, I haven't seen anything that touches the original gold saints.
umakoshi_yoshihiko_pisces_saint_seiya_by_hadesama01-d4rhisl.jpg

It's all about that wonderful way of shading the shinny surfaces, never quite translated from paper to the screen though.

jett

D-Member
Watched the first episode, they definitely hit the right nostalgia notes, good decision in reusing the Pegasus theme from the OG series. Some of the animation was pretty cool and I admit the designs work better in motion(although they're still not really to my liking). Story seems kind of dumb though and I don't think this is an auspicious start, but we'll see how it goes from here.

Cwarrior

Know what I haven't seen cashern sins but I really like his designs in that, his heartache precure ...no it's those faces and eyes look creepy imo , air master lol bad seen street fighter alpha but can't quite remember If I liked, I do remember few characters having creapy eyes but I think it may have added to the movie.

Watched the opening in hd and not shaky cam pure nostalgia bomb.

I actually liked Air Master's designs, but I wouldn't really call them good. It was fine though because the choreography was top notch.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
People should just watch the episode, to be honest. It's very well-done and specially reminicent of the old show. The final 5~ minutes are excellent.
Yeah, I'm not so sure where duckroll hate is coming from. I mean the pace was PRETTY slow, but it had enough umakoshi-style to make it entertaining as hell. Can't wait for next week~

7Th

Yeah, I'm not so sure where duckroll hate is coming from. I mean the pace was PRETTY slow, but it had enough umakoshi-style to make it entertaining as hell. Can't wait for next week~

I didn't feel like the episode was slow at all; it was pretty much the same as
the pacing in the first Heartcatch Precure episode!

-Eddman-

The first episode was good. I still don't understand why the bad guy is called "Mars" and not "Ares" as it should be, but whatever. Interested to see if they show new Gold Saints in the future, since
all the original ones are now dead

duckroll

I didn't feel like the episode was slow at all; it was pretty much the same as
the pacing in the first Heartcatch Precure episode!

It's slow because nothing really happens in it at all. Anything which took place in the entire 20+ minutes of the show could be condensed into a 8-10 minute sequence and it would have lost nothing in characterization or entertainment. It was just a dragged out introduction episode which features only one of the main characters in the show and nothing more.

The first episode was good. I still don't understand why the bad guy is called "Mars" and not "Ares" as it should be, but whatever. Interested to see if they show new Gold Saints in the future, since
all the original ones are now dead

He's MARS because he's the planet Mars as well as the god of war. Ares is the god of war but not a planet. :p

Road

The main villain is horrible in every way. This whoever who is designing needs to borrow more from the past works in the series and avoid coming up with his own stuff.

Also, first episode and we already have our magical crystal...

At least Episode G had very, very detailed designs.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dunno how to feel about this yet (only watched the opening and saw the designs)

Initially I thought the designs are weak but thats because of the style mostly, once I saw the opening and saw them in motion I understood their purpose. Theyre drawn that way to keep it agile and full of motion. My favorite Seiya designs are still the originals though, they felt more solid and rustic, which was good contrast to how sleek the Golden Knights were.... Now there's not much of a difference.

It should be a good show as long as they keep the pieces moving, the original is one of the prime examples of how NOT to do pacing (well, not so much the early episodes, the later stuff is what I mean)

The opening theme doesnt hold a candle to the original theme, but its nice. It really misses the strong SAAAINT SEIYYYAAAAAA right away to set the tone.

7Th

It's slow because nothing really happens in it at all. Anything which took place in the entire 20+ minutes of the show could be condensed into a 8-10 minute sequence and it would have lost nothing in characterization or entertainment. It was just a dragged out introduction episode which features only one of the main characters in the show and nothing more.

I don't think they could have removed any of the scenes in which Kouga and Saori interact with each other; they had to sell their relationship to the audience in order to get the drama in the later half of the episode to work. The training with Shaina was kinda necessary to set-up the tone of physical abuse Saints have to endure while both training and fighting. Some scenes could have been condensed, but not by that much.

duckroll

I don't think they could have removed any of the scenes in which Kouga and Saori interact with each other; they had to sell their relationship to the audience in order to get the drama in the later half of the episode to work. The training with Shaina was kinda necessary to set-up the tone of physical abuse Saints have to endure while both training and fighting. Some scenes could have been condensed, but not by that much.

Well, I disagree because I don't feel any of that mattered. It wasn't very interesting to me, and by the end of the episode it still wasn't very interesting. Interactions are only important if they actually matter. None of it matters because the entire episode was one boring lead-up to Koga getting into the cloth which everyone already knows he will get into because that's the premise of the entire show. Boring.

7Th

Well, I disagree because I don't feel any of that mattered. It wasn't very interesting to me, and by the end of the episode it still wasn't very interesting. Interactions are only important if they actually matter. None of it matters because the entire episode was one boring lead-up to Koga getting into the cloth which everyone already knows he will get into because that's the premise of the entire show. Boring.

That's kinda like saying that nothing in Eureka Seven episode 1 mattered because it was one big lead-up to Renton falling for Eureka and getting into the Nirvash which everyone already knows he is going to do because that's the premise of the entire show.

duckroll

That's kinda like saying that nothing in Eureka Seven episode 1 mattered because it was one big lead-up to Renton falling for Eureka and getting into the Nirvash which everyone already knows he is going to do because that's the premise of the entire show.

Eureka Seven has a pretty slow start, yes. But it was also very high budget compared to this, and had other things going for it. :p

SaintZ

Crap! I didn't see this thread until I posted in the old one, this were my thoughts! -_-
Shun's gonna appear later but he's not a Saint anymore. After the fight against Hades, he's not able burn his cosmo anymore. (Which I think is lame and may be explained in Next Dimension)
Anyway, I saw the first episode already and I mostly liked it. The animation is not on par with the first episode of the original SS (which I thought was superb) but it does not reach Mekai-hen level of lows. Sometimes the drawing seems sloppy but most of the times is OK. The new designs remind me of Doremi.

I feel that they tried to make Koga too much like Seiya. Shaina's speech was too similar to Marin's during the first episode but I guess they wanted to show how much Shaina changed yet it feels kinda wrong that Koga knows Seiya's signature move and it's not thanks to Marin (which is my favorite Saint ever, Atena bless her. I want to know what happened to her, dammit). I wonder if Koga, Shaina, Tatsumi and Saori are living in Japan or Greece. It seems weird to me that only a Silver Saint would be protecting a feeble goddess but I guess they might explain that later. Atena's "curse" reminds me of a fancy black meteor side effect, heh.

I also found weird that Koga doesn't know who Atena really is. I guess they don't spend a lot of time in the anime outside of the battles (except during the first part of series 1) to know enough about the public perception of the events happening in the earth.
There's some violence during the episode but hardly any blood (definitely not any missing ears in sight) but I wasn't bothered by the lack of it.

I'm looking forward to the next episode! I hope it picks up because I thought the start was kind of slow but we'll see.
Road said:
The main villain is horrible in every way. This whoever who is designing needs to borrow more from the past works in the series and avoid coming up with his own stuff.
Oh yes! I wasn't feeling Mars' design at all. It looks out of place. Also, they're mixing cultures again? Why couldn't they go with "Ares"?.

BluWacky

The first episode really isn't all that great, but maybe it'll pick up after a few episodes when the characters are all introduced. I don't really like the formulaic style of starting with really slow paced developments and a super invincible bad guy for the heroes to rage about, but I guess the series is targeted at young kids after all...

It doesn't help that, what with this being slownen, the main character is the least interesting part of the equation. I'm hopeful that the other Saints will be more interesting as following Kouga around seems pretty dull.

duckroll

It doesn't help that, what with this being slownen, the main character is the least interesting part of the equation. I'm hopeful that the other Saints will be more interesting as following Kouga around seems pretty dull.

Yeah I'm interested in the other characters too, because I really don't see the appeal in following the shocking trials of tribulations of Seiya Jr. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the series is going to end up being pretty stock as far as genre tropes go.

The preview for ep2 already suggests that Soma is going to be the exact character he looks like and is described as - the playful and carefree hotblooded best friend character. That's not automatically a bad thing, but considering how predictable and boring I find how things are going, I doubt I'll stick around for more than a handful of episodes unless something really shakes things up.

Maybe having interesting villains will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom