• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sausage Party: Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It was pretty bleh, till the end. How it played out thru me for a loop initially. I figured it would have been a Toy Story like deal, with the adventure back. Not the leads being stuck in the store. So I want to say the first two thirds were fairly meh. Outside of the douche, it was basically let's make the the same joke we've done in the past dozen movies we've been in. But it's funny since we're food!

Then the exact moment when the other wienie came back and
the head dropped out
. It was fantastic. I love how none of the trailers gave that away. The finale 20 minutes made the film.

The entire movie built up for that moment and it fucking worked. I was crying by the end.

I enjoyed the movie but I honestly laughed twice. You can kind of catch each punch before it swings and it doesn't get too creative in that department, but they definitely accomplished what they needed to in the visuals department. It was okay.

zoukka

I've never liked anything by Rogen and the way they fucked their animators, there's not way I'm ever seeing this.

So I saw the movie today and I legitimately want my money back...

This was the worst piece of trash I've seen in years. I can sit through pretty much anything and I wanted to walk out within 20 minutes. It's just not funny. I usually like Seth Rogen and most of the others in the movie but I just can't stand this movie.

It's basically a really long dick joke with other repeating jokes thrown in. I do not see why people think this is smart. The premise could've been smart and the idea of fighting the religion of the group had potential and has been done fantastically in the past. I literally can not remember a large chunk of the movie because it bored me so much I forgot it.

I would honestly rather watch Manos: The Hands of Fate or any other terrible movie twice in a row than watch this movie again.

randome

Saw it. Parts were really funny but overall it was not that good at all. It could have been amazing but there were so many unnecessary parts and things put in just to be shocking.

Zero315

Banned
It was pretty bleh, till the end. How it played out thru me for a loop initially. I figured it would have been a Toy Story like deal, with the adventure back. Not the leads being stuck in the store. So I want to say the first two thirds were fairly meh. Outside of the douche, it was basically let's make the the same joke we've done in the past dozen movies we've been in. But it's funny since we're food!

Then the exact moment when the other wienie came back and
the head dropped out
. It was fantastic. I love how none of the trailers gave that away. The finale 20 minutes made the film.

The entire movie built up for that moment and it fucking worked. I was crying by the end.

Yep, this is pretty much exactly how I feel. Last 20 or so minutes were golden. Well, except for the douche. I honestly feel like that storyline could've been cut entirely and the movie would've been better for it.

It fell into the exact trap that I thought it would based on the first teaser. Which is that in lieu of actual jokes they just cussed a lot.

yepyepyep

It wasn't really laugh out loud funny, but I dunno it was entertaining throughout? They definitely overdid the cursing, a lot of gratuitous fucks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It was funny, but not as funny as I was hoping. I didn't expect the story to take place so much in the store. I was thinking that a single arc, going from the store to the home would have been a little more narratively solid.

While the premise is great, I think it could have been more intelligently executed and not relied so much on pure shock humor in lieu of witty jokes or visual gags coupled with the shock humor. Basically the stuff from the trailer.

Vanish

I thought the movie was great, really funny. That ending, im so glad they used the full extent of being rated R. hope it's successful enough for a sequel or for other adult animated movies to be made.

It fell into the exact trap that I thought it would based on the first teaser. Which is that in lieu of actual jokes they just cussed a lot.

I realize it is a Seth Rogen film, but I was surprised by the amount of cursing as well. I'm pretty sure 75% of all sentences in the movie have a curse in them.

Sanjuro

I kind of went in blind. Was surprised how much I did enjoy it overall. It's possibly is the most offensive theatrical film I have seen in years, but is masked due to the fact the concept is that absurd.

Could have used less cursing. More substantial dialog. That may have very well sent it into the opposite direction. Film served its purpose.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I thought it was pretty good. Gum is the best.

jakomocha

Just saw the movie.

The final act was so ridiculous and absurd that it made the price of admission worthwhile, but tbh I did not enjoy the first 2/3rds of the movie. The whole message about religion was way too on-the-nose imo. I don't disagree with what the movie says about religion, but the message wasn't expressed in a subtle, deep, or even meaningful way. Also, I thought way too many of the movie's jokes relied on the absurdity of animated characters cussing; it wore itself thin after the first few minutes. I feel like cussing should've been more sparingly used, because after the first 2 minutes it wasn't entertaining anymore.

But my god, the entire ending is probably the craziest thing I've ever seen in a movie.

Like many others have felt. The movie relied too much on shock humor. The jokes started feeling tired from the first 15 minutes after I realized they probably made the movie based on one joke. A hot dog that really wanted to fuck a hot dog bun, because they are made for eachother. There were some parts I did enjoy. Some parts I must admit where they succeeded in what they set out to do (shock the audience), but it just got too much to the point I was exhausted. The last 10 minutes were great though.

Illucio

Banned
The ending scene where the freshener did the... You know thing to take control of the "Dark Lord" was stupid beyond belief and I felt embarrassed laughing about it.

The movie had some pretty lame jokes though, the shock factor did keep things a little interesting. But in all fairness it's more because I've never seen a pixar-like film animate those shock factors before. I felt a little caught off guard for that reason.

Overall the film is probably a start of what will be more adult comedy animated films like this. But I hope there will be some better written ones in the future. :/

Hazelhurst

I've never liked anything by Rogen and the way they fucked their animators, there's not way I'm ever seeing this.

That's horrible if true. I'm leaning toward this being true as the budget was under $20 Million which is insane. The animators did a really good job as the visuals look Pixar quality.

lunchtoast

Didn't care for this movie. Trailers led me to believe the story was different. Didn't think it would take place mostly in the supermarket. Jokes weren't that great. I liked picking out all the voices.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Mixed feelings. It was a very new kind of movie for me, and some part of me really appreciated the shock value.

The biggest problem for me was honestly the sophomoric 'insights' of the creators shoved into the movie in the most God awful uncomfortable preachy mess of a script.

I had smarter conversations about Israel and religion on GAF when I was 18.

Was anyone else highly impressed by the Honey Mustard animation? The way his eyes and mouth moved made it look like claymation stop motion or something! That was great.

Brakke

Banned
Pretty terrible I thought, it hit some uncanny valley of abrasiveness. Too crass to be charming, not mean enough to be compelling. I thought it was best when it was being just straight silly, most of the stereotype stuff just kind of fell flat for me. Wish it had some actual edge to it.

Animation was impressive in spots, at least.

PK Gaming

I thought it was fucking okay but the script was fucking terrible like they fucking throw a fuck in every other line you might not believe me but it's fucking true.

Seth Rogan's character was fucking terrible btw. So bland and rote, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Michael Cera's character was the main protagonist
he basically was

GhaleonEB

To say that he intends to not see it

Which is okay

To comment on the movie the thread is about? Why is this even a question?
This is a review thread for a movie. While this thread is indeed about Sausage Party, it's more specifically about the reviews for the movie and impressions and reviews of people who have seen it on the forum. Popping in to say you don't like the people in it and don't plan to see it is actually quite off topic, adds zero to the discussion and isn't something we encourage folks to do.

If everyone wandered into every thread on a given subject to let people know they are not interested in that subject, the forum would be a rather dire place. I don't play most games and there are a lot of publishers I simply won't buy product from, but I don't spend time in threads about those games letting everyone discussing them know. Because that would be pointless and disruptive. Asking whether you might like something if you have not liked their prior output is a different thing, of course.

At any rate, there's not really a need to carry this line of discussion forward, as complaining about posts and then complaining about the complaints is not really helpful either, but if anyone has questions feel free to PM.

This was worth the price of admission with the incredibly easy, but clever, gag of using a
Meatloaf
song and actually have him there.

I fucking giggled like an idiot.

darscot

Finally got to see this last night and laughed my ass off. It never dragged for me but had an expected lull before unloading both barrels in the finale. It is very juvenile and obviously and openly mocks pretty much everything. If you don't like to see sexuality and religion mocked with a ridiculous helping of toilet humor and atheism don't go see it. If a jar of German mustard screaming
"I will exterminate the Juice"
makes you chuckle go check it out.

G-Bus

Banned
Been wanting to seen this since the first trailer...

Not for me. Would like my money back.

It had a couple good parts and I enjoyed the different personas of certain condiments and food. Clever at times. Thats about it.

Monocle

This movie delivers on its premise and then some. The last act is insane in the best way. I had no inkling it was going to take things so far, lol. That one scene had everyone in the theater cracking up.

TheContact

Just got back from seeing it with the girlfriend.
Movie wasn't that funny. They relied on just being like "hey it's a hot dog saying fuck" that's funny right.
Full theater and only the occasional laughter from people.
Some good laughs to be has towards the end though and with the douche.
I'd give it like a 6.5 or a 7. I usually laugh my ass off when these guys do a movie and I barely did.

My thoughts and experience exactly. The movie was OK. A few laughs, and the ending was interesting

I've never before wanted to be refunded the price of admission for a movie before. Until yesterday.

Watched it with my girlfriend. God awful movie, most the jokes fell flat and the few I did appreciate were overused.

The last 20 minutes were especially awful. The
food orgy
nearly made me walk out the cinema. What were they thinking there?

Not even a Stargate reference could stop me from really disliking this movie.

Gambit

Went to a sneak preview last night on a date, the surprise film was Sausage Party.

Count me in the camp that wants their money. I have never seen a film I enjoyed less than this. I just hated every minute of it and wanted to walk out about ten minutes in (about 1/3 of the cinema actually did).

Problem was: my date liked it! Now what do I do?

I am contemplating going the Jerry Seinfeld route and ending the relationship/dating because of something trivial (?) like that.

Went to the theater and laughed my ass off with this movie. Totally worth it.

Genuinely clever too!

Went to a sneak preview last night on a date, the surprise film was Sausage Party.

Count me in the camp that wants their money. I have never seen a film I enjoyed less than this. I just hated every minute of it and wanted to walk out about ten minutes in (about 1/3 of the cinema actually did).

Problem was: my date liked it! Now what do I do?

I am contemplating going the Jerry Seinfeld route and ending the relationship/dating because of something trivial (?) like that.

Maybe she will do that for you. It's one thing to not like it, it's another to have never seen a movie you enjoyed less. Geez.

mostly im amazing Seth Rogen gets away w this shit. has anyone asked him why this movie is populated by nothing but broad outdated stereotypes? why does he get a pass? it is cos cartoons? 5 minutes in i just started guessing what ones would appear, and most of my guesses came true.

it makes sense that they would put the least amount of effort into coming up w this world, everything about this movie reeks of laziness, halfway decent ideas that they don't take time to develop in favor of Family Guy-style Edgelord yucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom