• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sausage Party: Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who've seen this: if I didn't find Deadpool remotely funny will I enjoy the humour in this? I'm sick of my friends thinking I'm a joyless bastard, I wanna laugh.

olympia

To those who've seen this: if I didn't find Deadpool remotely funny will I enjoy the humour in this? I'm sick of my friends thinking I'm a joyless bastard, I wanna laugh.

if you like rogen's other comedies you'll like it

also, there's a lot to unpack. i didn't find it funny, but I enjoyed watching what they did with the premise

HiiiLife

also, there's a lot to unpack. i didn't find it funny, but I enjoyed watching what they did with the premise

Basically this. Such an interesting watch. Lol. I did chuckle at the caricatures tho.

I honestly thought it wasn't going to be very good, based on the trailer and leaked script. It seemed they were going for purely vulgar humor for the sake of it. So the positive reviews are pretty surprising to me.

Maybe later down the line I'll give it watch. I also hope it's financially successful, the market could really stand for more adult-oriented animated films.

jmood88

I loved This Is The End and even liked the Christmas movie they did last year but I hated this. If you liked the trailers, then you'll probably like this but if you thought the trailers looked bad (as I did), then stay away.

olympia

I loved This Is The End and even liked the Christmas movie they did last year but I hated this. If you liked the trailers, then you'll probably like this but if you thought the trailers looked bad (as I did), then stay away.

sure. rogen's style of comedy is still highly present though. it's a safe assumption

This movie is ok, I give it 6-6.5/10. I find the comedic tunes very uneven.

The most impressive thing is
Edward Norton
's Woody Allen impression. I had no idea it was him.

The trailer is actually very accurate preview of the quality of the movie. Some posters in this thread went overboard with the praise.

Jazzem

This is the thing, I didn't laugh once at the trailers, thought they relied far too much on cutesy characters swearing/getting eviscerated as punchlines =/

The reviews have got me interested in the film's social commentary though ahah, if not necessarily the style of humour.

ampere

I saw a clip of a commercial for this the other day and my first thought was "wtf"

Knowing it's a Seth Rogen movie... my interest is piqued, especially with these good reviews.

Shock value for shock value sake. There wasn't much in this film that I felt to be clever. It really did boil down to a bunch of animated characters swearing and getting away with vulgar visuals because they're animated. That joke stretched across a whole movie.

This is no South Park movie.

J@hranimo

Banned
I just saw this movie. Wow. It was surprisingly decent but it was literally all over the place. Whoever is interested in seeing it...you're not ready lol.

Great movie worth seeing it in cinema. Last 10 minutes were insane.

Yeah the last 10 minutes escalated so quickly, My friend and I were like "lmfao what the fuck is happening?" during that entire scene.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine it doesn't go much further than Cartoon = Kids.

That's what I thought with movies made by Marvel Studios. Then I took the kids to see Deadpool. Oooh the embarrassment. 😔

The Argus

I actually had parents and kids walk out of my showing tonight. It was so amazing.

Sigh, so parents even do any research any more?

Side note, I remember when half the theater walked out of The Hills Have Eyes remake during that one scene. If you've seen it, you know what scene I'm talking about. Such a great movie, but damn that was intense.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I actually had parents and kids walk out of my showing tonight. It was so amazing.

First 10 mins of no jokes and just animated food cursing - "this is gonna be a dumb movie". But I realize now that intro is just to wake up parents into leaving the theater with their kids.

FTF

I just saw this movie. Wow. It was surprisingly decent but it was literally all over the place. Whoever is interested in seeing it...you're not ready lol.

Yeah the last 10 minutes escalated so quickly, My friend and I were like "lmfao what the fuck is happening?" during that entire scene.

Is the last 10 minutes the
sex orgy?
. If not, don't tell me what the end is, just curious if it's that or gets crazier.

Is the last 10 minutes the
sex orgy?
. If not, don't tell me what the end is, just curious if it's that or gets crazier.

No....it's something darker lol. So much so they have to break the 4th wall afterward to remind you it's not real.

Future

Just saw it. The trailer is actually strikingly accurate. The comedy style is like that the whole time. It also has a "message" young liberals will love I'm guessing. Kinda like a South Park episode.

They get pretty clever with all the food types and the types of characters they are.

The entire movie there was a couple of rows of parents with their kids. I guess they figured their kids could handle it.
Lol
The last 10 minutes made then lead their kids outside.

Not

Banned
Mm. I dunno. I hated This Is the End. I hate Rogen humor.

Maybe I'll watch it. Adult animation needs support

Loved this movie and found it genuinely hilarious (which was surprising to me) and definitely recommend it. Solid 8/10.
However, I don't know if it was just my theater or my ears being weird or what, but I found the audio mixing in the movie to be just awful. The voices sounded so silent at some parts compared to the background music/noise.

Not

Banned
That all seemed to be deliberate, there's even a line where a bunch of racist stereotypes are shown in the background as
the main character says something along the lines of "We can't allow ourselves to be separated based on immature and irrelevant preconceptions"

"Well, Kyle? You have your cake. Eat it, too."

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Shock value for shock value sake. There wasn't much in this film that I felt to be clever. It really did boil down to a bunch of animated characters swearing and getting away with vulgar visuals because they're animated. That joke stretched across a whole movie.

This is no South Park movie.
Considering that I don't even think South Park or Team America is as clever as others do I'll take a hard pass. Thanks!

Just got out of a showing. Not quite as good as I expected, but I still enjoyed it. At the end of the film, it dawned on me after the themes presented that someone could really take this movie as a fucked up version of
VeggieTales.

I honestly wonder if that's what Seth Rogen was going for the whole time.

olympia

i wanna add while the social commentary exceeds expectations it's about as insightful as talking to a college freshmen who just discovered atheism

I forgot which review it was but they aptly described the movie as anti-religion yet incredibly preachy

also hella reminiscent of conkers bad fur day

Just got out of a showing. Not quite as good as I expected, but I still enjoyed it. At the end of the film, it dawned on me after the themes presented that someone could really take this movie as a fucked up version of
VeggieTales.

I honestly wonder if that's what Seth Rogen was going for the whole time.

Yeah it isn't exactly transcendent because it's still rooted in being a genre parody.

Jerrod

This movie is ok, I give it 6-6.5/10. I find the comedic tunes very uneven.

The most impressive thing is
Edward Norton
's Woody Allen impression. I had no idea it was him.

The trailer is actually very accurate preview of the quality of the movie. Some posters in this thread went overboard with the praise.
I 100% agree with the rating and the spoiler. The comedic moments were great for the most part but the story stuff was just boring.

i wanna add while the social commentary exceeds expectations it's about as insightful as talking to a college freshmen who just discovered atheism

I forgot which review it was but they aptly described the movie as anti-religion yet incredibly preachy

also hella reminiscent of conkers bad fur day
I feel like that is a good way to describe the movie.

Camjo-Z

Great movie. It starts to drag a bit in the middle when the characters are just sort of going through the motions to get to the wacky stuff in the last third of the movie, but the ending is definitely worth it. I also really enjoyed the zany animation and slightly off-putting designs for some of the characters, it's refreshing to see a computer-animated movie that doesn't have the exact same look and style as everything else. Definitely recommend it.

Brinbe

Absolutely delightful. I enjoyed it.

Had a clueless family come in and leave in the first five minutes, which was fun.

Y'all weren't kidding about that last ten minutes! Completely took shit up a million notches, which was just fantastic.

zeemumu

Sigh, so parents even do any research any more?

Side note, I remember when half the theater walked out of The Hills Have Eyes remake during that one scene. If you've seen it, you know what scene I'm talking about. Such a great movie, but damn that was intense.

People prefer that companies block children from seeing it so the parents don't have to do work.

I don't know whose batshit crazy idea it was to let me see house of 1000 corpses when I was like 8

Dishwalla

Banned
The meatloaf scene was the best. Some other really good laughs from this, several moments that had the whole theater rolling. Not the best comedy but it's worth watching I think.

The grits box going to town on the crackers, oh man...

Sciortino

Went to go watch it tonight. This fucking movie. First half I found was amazing, then it dragged on for awhile. And those last 10 minutes were complete insanity lol.

GhaleonEB

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The audience I saw it with knew what they were in for, and that added to the experience. Several middle aged couples laughing their asses off with us, which was fun to see. Older crowd in general than I anticipated.

They definitely over played the novelty of food/objects swearing for shock value. The opening scene pushed and got a lot of laughs (IIRC, the first word uttered in the film is "Shit!"), but they clearly kept using it as punchlines and it had worn out early. So it was just profanity for the sake of profanity. It wore thin.

Loved the opening song, and several of the side characters. My jaw dropped when I saw the bagel was played by Edward Norton (doing a bang on Woody Allen impersonation). The story was quite different than as presented in the trailer, but that was mostly a good thing; I didn't know where it was going. The bad thing was, the movie didn't really know either, for a while; it sags heavily in the middle.

I didn't care for the coda / wall breaking at the end. It was needless and dumb, even for this movie. And the orgy did go on too long, but this isn't a film to practice restraint.

Gum was the standout character, IMO. Stole every scene he was in.
Suck my soft pink cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom