• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Sou Da

Guess I was the only one who quick-as-shit used that drug when I saw it. :x I'll just stand over there

I did too but I thought they did something like put in the box for later or some dumb shit. They clearly plan to use it before their next safe room visit.

Is monster hunter generations worth it for single player?

I know the rule is usually no, but 20 bucks on amazon is a good deal if I can make it happen on my own.

Is monster hunter generations worth it for single player?

I know the rule is usually no, but 20 bucks on amazon is a good deal if I can make it happen on my own.

Not for the story, but it is very much possible to do everything in the game single player(doesn't hurt that you also have two felyne npcs to help you out... well, mostly it doesn't hurt). You will very much be fighting an uphill battle with the high rank Hub quests solo, but as long as you don't have a problem doing a lot of grinding there is a lot of stuff to do.

Strimei

To be fair, Holy Grail is one of those things that has entered the collective unconscious at this point, pretty much. References and such abound that you don't really have to see it to get it (for the most part).

I'm reminded of how a few years ago, I finally saw Animal House. I enjoyed it but I felt I really didn't even need to see it since it had been parodied and referenced so many times in various things over the years that I had essentially seen it without seeing it.

That said, it is still kinda baffling.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons.

At least Woolie didn't go all YOU HAVEN'T SEEN DEATH NOTE?!?

God that moment always leaves me in tears.

Not for the story, but it is very much possible to do everything in the game single player(doesn't hurt that you also have two felyne npcs to help you out... well, mostly it doesn't hurt). You will very much be fighting an uphill battle with the high rank Hub quests solo, but as long as you don't have a problem doing a lot of grinding there is a lot of stuff to do.

I played a shitload of 4U with people so I do have an idea of what to do at least.

Xux

Man, these stories of the build up and realization that they're playing this shit are pretty great.

Also, the serious tone of the game is super weird.

Ritzboof

i came here to complain about minecraft: story mode

i cant get resident evil 7 (id hardly be able to play it anyway), the best friends are some of my favorite youtube personalities, i loved all of their resident evil LPs and i love this one so far, and i refuse to watch the game grumps trip and scream their way through the game in increments of 10 minutes. patiently waiting for part V, turns out to be MC story mode, "oh well, ill watch it anyway". as some peeps are saying, just a wasted timeslot

i got like 5 minutes in and i couldnt take it; nevermind that they werent making any sense, the only moment in those entire 5 minutes that they acknowledged the game was running was when pat said he wasnt going to touch a prompt. they arent ironically suffering through the game, its literally just a boring, incoherent podcast. they dont riff on how stupid this kids game is or anything like that, they just bullshit their way through the thing for the entire half hour unless theyre forced to pick up the controller to progress. the intro and thumbnail are misleading

i dont mean to seem ungrateful for the content they make, and i think i liked the first couple parts of this series, but this LP (if you can call it that) has become some real tired garbage and i truly have no idea why theyd bother. am i missing something? the like/dislike ratio and the top comments tell me that this is still generally well received, and it confuses me

edit: https://youtu.be/5Hitnz2Ssc4?t=10m45s i skipped ahead and i guess this is just what they had to do to get that 2nd video out today, but come on man, i know they can do far better than this. this isnt a statement that should need to be made to your fans

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Man, these stories of the build up and realization that they're playing this shit are pretty great.

Also, the serious tone of the game is super weird.

Minecraft Story mode in general is fucking weird. Like, its entire existance is just fucking weeeeeeeird. Super Bunnyhop has a good video on it.

i dont mean to seem ungrateful for the content they make, and i think i liked the first couple parts of this series, but this LP (if you can call it that) has become some real tired garbage and i truly have no idea why theyd bother. am i missing something? the like/dislike ratio and the top comments tell me that this is still generally well received, and it confuses me

Kay I actually love almost everything about the Minecraft story mode LP, especially its creation. So they originally started an LP of Minecraft story mode because they were told 'Don't got to press any buttons to get through it!' which is proven wrong pretty quickly, but the idea was to do a bungle through (Ala Silent Lee playthrough in Walking Dead Season 1, which is pretty creepy and unnerving), to show how little choice you have in Tell Tale games. And by the end, they realized they didn't pay attention to the LP, and Woolie goes 'We can't put this up. We did nothing...' (one of my favorite moments of 2016 btw) and they do anyways because they think its funny. And a lot of other people think its funny too. And a lot of people don't.

Edit: Ah, I thought you were just beginning. Don't know why I thought that?

As to why they keep doing it, well they're completionist to some extent in their hearts. They don't like to leave LPs unfinished, didn't with Reboot, didn't with Omnicron, won't with this. They'll just take a while with it.

Legit, I think the big test of whether or not you'll like this LP is if you laughed your ass off at the infamous podcast where they lost their audio and had to rerecord it in utter monotone. If you found that funny, you'll enjoy this.

Minecraft was funny for a few episodes. Now it's just dumb. Especially now that they're playing up a story behind it about being tired. If you're both too tired to work on a game you enjoy (or at least manages to generate interesting content) then go to bed. It's not like they haven't missed uploads before. Why the sudden facade that it's a significant enough chore to suffer through it?

Minecraft was always literally just there to fill a slot. Add to that their insistence on finishing LPs that they start, and you get the weird half-LP, half-podcast thing they've got going now. I personally enjoy their random banter, and at least they're being pretty honest about what it really is, so it's easily avoidable if you're not into that.

That being said, I haven't seen the most recent part, so I have no idea if anything's changed that should concern me.

Why the sudden facade that it's a significant enough chore to suffer through it?

Because most people legitimately enjoy it?

FlowersisBritish

Minecraft was always literally just there to fill a slot. Add to that their insistence on finishing LPs that they start, and you get the weird half-LP, half-podcast thing they've got going now. I personally enjoy their random banter, and at least they're being pretty honest about what it really is, so it's easily avoidable if you're not into that.

That being said, I haven't seen the most recent part, so I have no idea if anything's changed that should concern me.

Honestly, it was kind of pretty funny. Lot of good bits and I really enjoyed a talk they had about sleep paralysis (check out The Nightmare on Netflix if you want a cool thing about it). My only complaint is that Minecraft story mode continues directly onto a second season at episode eight now I think. The thing just goes on for fucking ever, and I'll admit, I'll probably get tired of the joke eventually too.

Honestly, it was kind of pretty funny. Lot of good bits and I really enjoyed a talk they had about sleep paralysis (check out The Nightmare on Netflix if you want a cool thing about it). My only complaint is that Minecraft story mode continues directly onto a second season at episode eight now I think. The thing just goes on for fucking ever, and I'll admit, I'll probably get tired of the joke eventually too.

I could totally see them just deciding to end it at the end of season 1. I imagine most people wouldn't mind.

Because most people legitimately enjoy it?

That wasn't an answer to the question. Why are they pretending they absolutely need to record to meet some quota when they've missed several in a week before? The latest upload is just an act. They spend half it playing up their fatigue then mumble their way through the rest. Like... if they were actually that tired then they should not be forcing themselves to work. They already lost enough content (see: a whole member) as of recent due to fatigue.

FlowersisBritish

I could totally see them just deciding to end it at the end of season 1. I imagine most people wouldn't mind.

Same, but I dunno. Woolie did eventually beat Reboot. And these guys haven't not done a Telltale season 2 game yet.

That wasn't an answer to the question. Why are they pretending they absolutely need to record to meet some quota when they've missed several in a week before? The latest upload is just an act. They spend half it playing up their fatigue then mumble their way through the rest. Like... if they were actually that tired then they should not be forcing themselves to work. They already lost enough content (see: a whole member) as of recent due to fatigue.

I think they really pride themselves on their 2 videos a day format honestly. Woolie and Pat busted their asses to try and keep to it even when they were two men down and everyone would have understood. They don't hold themselves to many levels of professionalism, but I think they do with their release schedule.

I'm pretty sure Liam left because of stress/anxiety, not just because he was tired.

And they recorded this days ago. It has nothing to do with today's upload schedule, although I'll give you that they could have just recorded it later.

Ritzboof

'We can't put this up. We did nothing...'

honestly, this is the part that i remember most out of the entire series. thing is, though, i feel like woolie was right. maybe im not as cultured as them or some of their far older fanbase, but even if it were refered to as a "lets watch", theyre just talking about random stuff the entire time and making no attempt to play off what the game is presenting. their world-building banter i feel can only take a joke so far, and for me, that point was like 3 and a half parts in, for a game thats already so basic and uneventful

idunno, it just saddens me. it gives me this impression that theyve fallen on especially hard times, when i know they have the ability to get through shit and produce great content without overworking themselves

also, ive never heard of that podcast. ive missed too many of them tbh. it sounds funny, but idunno if itd be funny for an hour+ straight

FlowersisBritish

also, ive never heard of that podcast. ive missed too many of them tbh. it sounds funny, but idunno if itd be funny for an hour+ straight

Again, I think that's the test (here is the podcast specific in case you're interested and have a few hours to waste) and I get what you're saying. But I also think there is a large part of their fanbase that does enjoy this tired banter, and who put it on in the background while they do other things, and in truth, the game doesn't really matter to them. I certainly didn't watch the game, I was playing something else and listening to them at the same time. Also, I personally like it because it feels real like the kind of dumb tired unenthusiasm I have with my friends.

I'm pretty sure Liam left because of stress/anxiety, not just because he was tired.

And they recorded this days ago. It has nothing to do with today's upload schedule, although I'll give you that they could have just recorded it later.

I try really hard not to make any judgments on their workload. I don't know what its like. Period. But from what I hear from other people its actually pretty tough, not even taking into account these guys are completely self taught. It might be so bad it got to Liam, or it might be other things. Anxiety is weird and can just flare up sometimes. Speaking of which, haven't been keeping up on his content. He seem happy? More relaxed?

Fat4all

Banned
The 'shit on Minecraft: Story Mode' show amuses me to no end.

Also, we're gonna get a Fallout: New Vegas LP eventually, ain't we?

FlowersisBritish

The 'shit on Minecraft: Story Mode' show amuses me to no end.

Also, we're gonna get a Fallout: New Vegas LP eventually, ain't we?

How the fuck would that even work? Going straight to the end would be boring as shit, but them wandering around would take forever and people would constantly be bitching "But you're missing the best side quest!" and then it takes forever to finish. Maybe like a survival mode or something?

Fat4all

Banned
How the fuck would that even work? Going straight to the end would be boring as shit, but them wandering around would take forever and people would constantly be bitching "But you're missing the best side quest!" and then it takes forever to finish. Maybe like a survival mode or something?

My guess would be Pat making a checklist of the best sidequests, poking Wollie with a stick while he bumbles around the wastes.

It wouldn't be dissimilar to the DS LP.

Again, I think that's the test (here is the podcast specific in case you're interested and have a few hours to waste) and I get what you're saying. But I also think there is a large part of their fanbase that does enjoy this tired banter, and who put it on in the background while they do other things, and in truth, the game doesn't really matter to them. I certainly didn't watch the game, I was playing something else and listening to them at the same time. Also, I personally like it because it feels real like the kind of dumb tired unenthusiasm I have with my friends.

I think that's the appeal of their "intentionally shitty" content to me as well. It just makes them seem more like actual real people, you know? I honestly find it somewhat refreshing how open they are about how flawed they can be at times, although I get that that sort of thing doesn't really appeal to a lot of other people.

I try really hard not to make any judgments on their workload. I don't know what its like. Period. But from what I hear from other people its actually pretty tough, not even taking into account these guys are completely self taught. It might be so bad it got to Liam, or it might be other things. Anxiety is weird and can just flare up sometimes.

I'm obviously not a doctor or anything, but I feel like the fact that Liam is much younger than the rest of them played some part in him deciding to leave. Like, maybe the others are just better at managing stress or something due to dealing with it for longer? I don't know. Just a thought.

I don't really think they need to do anything. Maybe try to get as many side quest as possible, but they don't even need to do all that. People will bitch no matter what they do, and if they are bitching about the stuff they missed, that means they are still watching. I imagine it would just end similar to the yakuza lp, but with less wacky Japanese mini-games/whatever. That said separating it from the yakuza 0 lp(time frame wise) would probably be a good idea.

FlowersisBritish

I'm obviously not a doctor or anything, but I feel like the fact that Liam is much younger than the rest of them played some part in him deciding to leave. Like, maybe the others are just better at managing stress or something due to dealing with it for longer? I don't know. Just a thought.

Maybe, but I do find it weird he still is doing game stuff like streaming. I think he might have just wanted more time to work on his game tbh. We'll never know(in a weird way, that kiiiiiiiiilllllls me. I want to know everythign damn it!), but I am glad it is on amicable terms.

Cute little moment from the latest weebcast with Liam: Jeff recommends the SBFC on an absent minded whim and then immediately goes, "um, errr" and Liam jumps in, "No, I agree. It is a really good podcast. You should check it out."

My guess would be Pat making a checklist of the best sidequests, poking Wollie with a stick while he bumbles around the wastes.

It wouldn't be dissimilar to the DS LP.

I don't really think they need to do anything. Maybe try to get as many side quest as possible, but they don't even need to do all that. People will bitch no matter what they do, and if they are bitching about the stuff they missed, that means they are still watching. I imagine it would just end similar to the yakuza lp, but with less wacky Japanese mini-games/whatever. That said separating it from the yakuza 0 lp(time frame wise) would probably be a good idea.

yeah, but both of those are essentially linear rpgs in an essence (maybe not Yakuza so much...) and they are trying to push you to an end goal. The bethesda RPGs are basically wandering simulatots. But eh, honestly I'd try anything and if they did do one, I'd watch it in part to see how they do it.

Maybe, but I do find it weird he still is doing game stuff like streaming. I think he might have just wanted more time to work on his game tbh. We'll never know(in a weird way, that kiiiiiiiiilllllls me. I want to know everythign damn it!), but I am glad it is on amicable terms.

Cute little moment from the latest weebcast with Liam: Jeff recommends the SBFC on an absent minded whim and then immediately goes, "um, errr" and Liam jumps in, "No, I agree. It is a really good podcast. You should check it out."

Well yeah, Liam still hangs out with them and everything, he just doesn't make stuff for the channel anymore. Maybe he just found it more difficult to work with a bunch of other people rather than working on his own?

FlowersisBritish

Well yeah, Liam still hangs out with them and everything, he just doesn't make stuff for the channel anymore. Maybe he just found it more difficult to work with a bunch of other people rather than working on his own?

I legit forgot the fact they would all still probs friends and hang out and stuff.

Xux

[....]
I try really hard not to make any judgments on their workload. I don't know what its like. Period. But from what I hear from other people its actually pretty tough, not even taking into account these guys are completely self taught. It might be so bad it got to Liam, or it might be other things. Anxiety is weird and can just flare up sometimes. Speaking of which, haven't been keeping up on his content. He seem happy? More relaxed?
I feel like he hid it really well when he was with the channel and doesn't seem that different. Not to downplay it, though; if he felt like he needed to leave then more power to him.

Did this get posted? Matt streamed with him and it's on Liam's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX5FJ3i0BM4

Strimei

I have come to enjoy the Minecraft story mode one for two reasons: one, the rambling of the guys (especially the latest one, though I also admit to a bit of worry. No, not so much for the channel this time, more because Jesus Pat and Woolie need some sleep help. I mean I'm prone to insomnia sometimes too (its a side effect of my medication) but Christ, I'm a bit afraid for their health at this point) and just how nonsensical and silly it can get. I mean, we got "Woolie hates when his family gets jobs" from this.

But more importantly, I'm actually extremely fascinated in how the game plays with minimal input from the player. It makes the player character come off as almost indifferent to the plight of their friends, absolutely inept in battle (unless the game decides to take control which seems to happen somewhat frequently), and otherwise invisible at times.

It honestly makes me want to go back and play TWD 1 as a mute and indifferent Lee and see what happens.

Strimei

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a one-off or a machinima episode, but I doubt a series.

They've got a lot going on already and Yakuza 0 is next (if Pat's heavy hinting is any indicator)

There's a lot less content than 4U, since there's no G rank. And there's no HR in singleplayer.

Wait for XX/Gen U.

Not even remotely true. Even without G rank MHG has has almost 200 more quests and 100 more armor pieces and double the amount of final form weapons. I almost expect XX to remove some of that stuff when they include G rank... Also, XX isn't coming out till march in JP so you will have plenty of time to finish up Generations before the US release.

Strimei

I think we stopped being the primary audience a while ago.

Eh that feels a bit unfair to say, I think.

I mean they're dedicated to still getting content out to the channel, regardless of how they are, yesterday's Minecraft is evidence enough of that. They've got several LPs going, another likely waiting, too. And as seen with Yakuza 0, we may get a machinima episode, or a one-off, they haven't written that off.

And speaking of Yakuza 0, Pat was planning on streaming that, but stopped it suddenly, with heavy hints that it has since become an LP. So yeah, they're not relegating the channel to secondary status or anything.

Not yet, anyway, heh.

Eh that feels a bit unfair to say, I think.

I mean they're dedicated to still getting content out to the channel, regardless of how they are, yesterday's Minecraft is evidence enough of that. They've got several LPs going, another likely waiting, too. And as seen with Yakuza 0, we may get a machinima episode, or a one-off, they haven't written that off.

And speaking of Yakuza 0, Pat was planning on streaming that, but stopped it suddenly, with heavy hints that it has since become an LP. So yeah, they're not relegating the channel to secondary status or anything.

Not yet, anyway, heh.

Pat also mentioned them already lping 2 souls games(ds1 and technically ds3 is still on going), so adding a souls-like on top of that might be a bit much. Not sure I think its a big a problem is they do, but at least this does leave it open to be played in the future.

hughesta

Banned
I think we stopped being the primary audience a while ago.
yeah I don't agree with this at all. I may not like every video they put up but I never have. Channel only viewers (myself included, I don't tune into streams at all) certainly haven't been left behind for another format.

Top Bottom