• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEI PR: PS4 is not region locked

BigDug13

Basically, you bad news is that you have to pay for online now. The good news is that they're going to give you DRIVECLUB right away when you do that.

Wait, Driveclub is free day one for PS+? Is it a F2P game or something or just a bonus for PS+ subscribers?

Aspiring

You know what? I think this has been the best day Sony really one me over and the last check for me was this and now it's checked. Amazing job Sony and now i can keep my amazon preorder.

Timbuktu

Just for games right? blu rays still locked i guess, so nothing's changed. Had a region A ps3, so a region B ps4 this time, will have to keep both anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is there no end to Sony's gaming love-in? Just that little blip that multiplayer gaming is behind PS+ paywall now, other than that... just spectacular.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Jubern

Just for games right? blu rays still locked i guess, so nothing's changed. Had a region A ps3, so a region B ps4 this time, will have to keep both anyway.

Movies that are locked (not all are) should still be, there's absolutely no reason for that to go away.

Will I be able to swap X and O buttons...? Really annoying that you can't on PS3, Vita, or PSP...

Still, good news :)

I'm glad to be in Japan and getting a Japanese model for the O = confirm thing alone ahah. Hacked my PSP into doing this, getting a Vita here too. Can't myself ever going back to X=confirm

hesido

The Driveclub PS+ user will get is a special "PS+ edition". I say expect a F2P model.

This makes sense, as they had to differentiate it as a special edition, meaning it may have differences from the retail one (it's a game that is multiplayer oriented anyway, at least that's how they presented it). I hope they give us a very low price upgrade-to-retail option, if that's the case, I don't like the nickel/dime of F2P, where you could pay 100$ and still lack any full-retail game's offerings. In any way, DriveClub is going to be a household name, now that multiplayer requires PS+. Every single person that has PS+ will have Drive Club, that's quite an important thing.

Daingurse

Good . . . good. Someone is going to develop a Shingeki no Kyojin game one of these days. If it releases on PS4 it will be imported.

excellent news, i made many great region free purchases on ps3 - og demon's souls asian edition, warriors orochi Z, catherine and a few other things i all bought before they were available in my country (and some still aren't of course)

rykomatsu

I'm glad to be in Japan and getting a Japanese model for the O = confirm thing alone ahah. Hacked my PSP into doing this, getting a Vita here too. Can't myself ever going back to X=confirm

:-(
Pretty big deal imho...Some games explicitly say "press O to start" and on the US systems, you need to press X...

Most recently, this happened on Oboro Muramasa on Vita...supposed to press O to open chests and shit, but on US Vita, it's X. To make matters worse, X is linked to Jump, so it's a PITA to try to open a chest while jumping..

Man, this is beautiful!

It's great to know I'll be able to play some of those JP games that have no chance of making it over or that get overlooked again.

This also means we could use a Super Robot Wars :p

Good . . . good. Someone is going to develop a Shingeki no Kyojin game one of these days. If it releases on PS4 it will be imported.

Yeah, it's getting way too popular for it not to get a game.

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

Jubern

:-(
Pretty big deal imho...Some games explicitly say "press O to start" and on the US systems, you need to press X...

Most recently, this happened on Oboro Muramasa on Vita...supposed to press O to open chests and shit, but on US Vita, it's X. To make matters worse, X is linked to Jump, so it's a PITA to try to open a chest while jumping..

Haaaa, I see what you mean. Some games are indeed problematic. I had some troubles with the poker sequence in Sleeping Dogs last year, playing the EU game on my JP system the controls were fucked up (only for that sequence, and I could still progress fortunately).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is there any more official announcements on the region free bit though? Was hoping they would have mentioned it during the presentation

Usobuko

Banned
This makes sense, as they had to differentiate it as a special edition, meaning it may have differences from the retail one (it's a game that is multiplayer oriented anyway, at least that's how they presented it). I hope they give us a very low price upgrade-to-retail option, if that's the case, I don't like the nickel/dime of F2P, where you could pay 100$ and still lack any full-retail game's offerings. In any way, DriveClub is going to be a household name, now that multiplayer requires PS+. Every single person that has PS+ will have Drive Club, that's quite an important thing.

It's facing Gran Turismo this holiday and Sony needs 1 retail game that has mass appeal. So out of Killzone, Knack, Drive Club, Infamous, this is it. It's the ideal choice for them to make.

AkIRA_22

Sony has just won this gen.

Hackers are going to hack the hell out of the Xbone, because they feel they have to. The PS4 may not be hacked because hackers feel do not need to. Remember the PS3 wasn't opened until Sony took away Linux. The normal reason was to get around region locking.

Microsoft just unleashed the tide on themselves.

Jubern

I'm expecting to jump through some Vita-like hoops to switch regions, but anything is better than hardware region lock.

How would that work though? Swapping HARD DRIVES? :x

They said you could have multiple accounts on the same system already, so I'm rather optimistic and expect it to be no more complicated than how the PS3 works.

Ath

Brilliant, it just gets better and better! I have no hesitation in pre-ordering a Playstation 4 now.

Top Bottom