• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEI PR: PS4 is not region locked

Guymelef

xbox_one_to_be_region_locked.jpg

So no more Zavvi for people outside UK...

NekoFever

It will be interesting to see if this applies to PSN and Gaikai services as well.

For PSN I expect them to stick to the current system (IP blocking for movies, comics etc., no IP blocking for games), but for Gaikai I fully expect it to be region locked. What I mean is that I can't imagine people from the US or Europe will be able to stream Japanese PS1/2/3 games.

Would be neat if it turned out to be possible in the end though.
It wouldn't surprise me if Gaikai is locked simply for practicality's sake. Playing an action game on a remote server isn't an ideal situation at the best of times, let alone one in Japan or the opposite side of the Atlantic.

Durante

Honestly, this made my E3 at least. It's just so unexpected -- I mean they could have gone with region locking and still ride it out o the positivity over no disc DRM.

No hardware BC, and the camera is non-bundled, which is more of a discussion point.
If they put hardware BC into PS4, the console would have been the same price as Xbox One or more. Better they leave it out and go w/ a cheaper price IMO. Why make everyone pay a higher pricetag if not everyone wants it?

This is by far the best news because I import a lot of games.

I'm a little ignorant as a current 360 owner, but this is how PS3 works now, correct? Do most publishers not region lock software?

Is the 360 hardware region locked? I'm just trying to understand the difference because I know there are some region-free 360 games. Wondering if Microsoft will do the same thing.

Not that it matters, since I cannot imagine there will be very many Japan-only games on 360. I doubt there will even be one.

Freki

Ok so what's to stop me from buying a ps4 from the US and save me some 90 euros I would have to shell out if I wanted to buy it in Europe?
Bit of a rant but these currency conversions have to stop.

Nothing - but shipping + import tax would probably make it more expansive than buyin one in europe.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Region free? Fucking awesome. I hope this translates into good sales for Sony. More companies need to be rewarded for going region free, thus encouraging other companies to follow suit.

QaaQer

The 90 euros you'd have to pay in import duties and fees? While making warranty incredibly hard to use. I have considered this before, I don't thin it pays off.

Maybe in Iceland the economics work. Apparently, PS3 was over $1450 USD there around launch.

I'm really curious as to why Sony is the only one that does this. What exactly are Nintendo and MS getting out of doing it that Sony doesn't seem to care about?

shaowebb

8Ejt3pt.gif

Now if I can buy Battride War from the online store digitally and play it via cloud on PS4 I am set for next gen!

And with this confirmation I'm fully in. Just need to decide if the warranty hassles are worth the cheaper US price or if I'll pay more for a local console but have a better warranty. #AustraliaTaxProblems

Unless it turns out they are doing something moronic like requiring 24 hour check ins for DD games but that would be the kind of raving insanity they aren't displaying.

Torraz

Apparently 1 PS+ allows all other accounts to play online.

This would mean that there are no account switching shenanigans?!

Top Bottom