• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEI PR: PS4 is not region locked

Jubern

Just sent @yosp a tweet to ask him if it will indeed still be possible to use different region PS+ accounts on one system... Crossing my fingers!

Sweep14

A paywall that will give you free games on Vita, PS3 and Drive Club for free on PS4. I'm in.

And considering what they're trying to acomplish for the gamers with PS4, I think they really deserve to be supported with a few bucks on PS+

Just sent @yosp a tweet to ask him if it will indeed still be possible to use different region PS+ accounts on one system... Crossing my fingers!
Good question, wondering the same thing.

I get the feeling Sony has to grant 'region free' while making it inconvenient enough to satisfy publishers that want region locks.

Tactics

It will be interesting to see if this applies to PSN and Gaikai services as well.

For PSN I expect them to stick to the current system (IP blocking for movies, comics etc., no IP blocking for games), but for Gaikai I fully expect it to be region locked. What I mean is that I can't imagine people from the US or Europe will be able to stream Japanese PS1/2/3 games.

Would be neat if it turned out to be possible in the end though.

Koren

Just sent @yosp a tweet to ask him if it will indeed still be possible to use different region PS+ accounts on one system...
That's against the ToS, I wouldn't bet on an answer on this one...

Besides, there's one thing I'd like to know. The console is region-free (great!), but should you buy a Jp game on a US/EU console, and if you have a US/EU PSN+ account. Will you be able to play the Jp game online?

meppi

Add another one to the + column. :)
Very happy about this. Don't need to buy a 2nd or 3rd system now just for imports.

YaPanPapa

Neo Member
That's good news indeed, and a big reason to why there will be a PS4 in my livingroom this holiday. Let's just hope developers wont put any software restrictions in place.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
THIS is the best news for me. Thank god.

Would have been a real pain in the ass for me if they had region locked this thing.

gembel

That's against the ToS, I wouldn't bet on an answer on this one...

Besides, there's one thing I'd like to know. The console is region-free (great!), but should you buy a Jp game on a US/EU console, and if you have a US/EU PSN+ account. Will you be able to play the Jp game online?

i want to know this as well.. what happens with online play if you have a disc/DL JP game on a US/EU PS+ account

tweeted yoshida many times but no answer!

lYmL7qC.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
No region locking? WUH? We need more solid confirmation but holy fuck if true!

squall211

Is there no end to Sony's gaming love-in? Just that little blip that multiplayer gaming is behind PS+ paywall now, other than that... just spectacular.

Seriously. Paying for multiplayer definitely sucks, and I won't begrudge anyone who complains about that. However, you get so much value with PS+, that in the end I don't think the majority of gamers are going to care that much.

Ok so what's to stop me from buying a ps4 from the US and save me some 90 euros I would have to shell out if I wanted to buy it in Europe?
Bit of a rant but these currency conversions have to stop.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really hope the market rewards them for all these initiatives.

It'll be a pretty hard pill to swallow if the unwashed masses shepherd us into an anti consumer age through ignorance/Microsoft's limitless chequebook.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amazing. Fantastic news.

Gartooth

Aside from no BC and the fact that online multiplayer is behind a paywall, PS4 really has been hitting it out of the park on their announcements.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am so glad, most of the games that arrive to my countries are from different countries. Sometimes I get from Canada, others from USA, Brazil, Europe, etc.

I was getting nervous.

CTLance

This, and pretty much only this, makes me want to buy a PS4 on launch day. All other features and games I can wait out until they're cheap, but me being some sort of anti region code crusader makes me want to support the console.

Nintendo, I might have to abandon you. What a scary thought, after all this time.

Durante

Ok so what's to stop me from buying a ps4 from the US and save me some 90 euros I would have to shell out if I wanted to buy it in Europe?
Bit of a rant but these currency conversions have to stop.
The 90 euros you'd have to pay in import duties and fees? While making warranty incredibly hard to use. I have considered this before, I don't thin it pays off.

Top Bottom