• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEI PR: PS4 is not region locked

Hey Hey, calm down guys. We don't know if the Xbone is region free or not.
rofl.gif

Torraz

Now we need to know whether it will be a bit of a PITA like with Vita, or whether it will be like on PS 3 (multiple accounts).

Eusis

Is there no end to Sony's gaming love-in? Just that little blip that multiplayer gaming is behind PS+ paywall now, other than that... just spectacular.
It probably helps that most of us are paying for the pile of free games as it is, so it's more of a principle thing than an actual inconvenience for us. Plus the Gaikai functionality may (unfortunately) justify it, streaming my streams of games in progress is going to eat into bandwidth more than the game themselves likely could, and I think we'd rather the PS4 menus avoid becoming ad minefields.

Sora_N

I didn't plan to buy on launch but this just sweetens the deal regardless. Glad I can import games again in the future! :)

cluderi

Hey Hey, calm down guys. We don't know if the Xbone is region free or not.
rofl.gif

Going on past experience they've probably invented more regions to lock and there'll be a region monitoring device built that checks satellites and stops working if you're 1 mile outside your region.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I was getting ready to miss out on a lot of games this generation, this is the second best news I've heard tonight.

cluderi

So good, mines pre-ordered already and I need something to replace the Drive Club I was buying but is now free (unless I missed what DriveClub+ is)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This I expected, since the PS3 has been the only console in forever not to be (fully) region locked, still great news!

also

Banned
Thank you, Sony. Now confirm multiple accounts from different regions on a single console and no IP blocked PSN.

mclem

So... I'm a collector, I won't be losing my PS3 any time soon. I'm in Europe. It's there any reason to not pick up a US PS4 so I end up with Blu-ray players from two different regions?

guit3457

The official twitter account for Playstation in Japan said those would be announced at an ulterior date.
I'm really starting to think they won't launch it this year here...

Maybe in the Tokyo Game Show. I have to go to Tokyo at the end os December and it would be amazing to buy the PS4 for (let's say) 39.900Y = 300€ right now.

At the current convertion rates that would be 100€ cheaper than Europe XD

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well this will be the first time I import a console TO Japan

Apparently with Amazon US of A you can. Since I did a PO and it allowed for international shipping. Not too bad too seeing how it just added around 20-30 to the shipping cost.

Was really surprised by this, as usually things like this are cockblocked.

Top Bottom