• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCHOCKING NEWS: Walmart has changed their price match policy

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/20/almart-ultra-cheap-ps4/

Well, that didn't take long: Earlier this week, the internet caught wind of a few less-than-legitimate sellers listing PlayStation 4s on Amazon at ridiculously low prices -- we're talking $90 or less for a $400 item -- and took advantage of Walmart's new price-matching policy. Now the retail giant has adjusted said policy regarding such. The company says it'll only honor pricing from 30 "major" online retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Cabela's and Kohl's from here on out. Marketplace vendors, third-party sellers (one of the ways this ordeal started), etailers requiring a membership and auction sites including eBay aren't eligible under the new revision. A Walmart spokesperson tells Wall Street Journal that it was a significant enough amount to change the policy "quickly," but, wouldn't say exactly how much the alleged fraud cost the company.

Saw it coming. Thanks guys.

shanafan

I watched a video with screenshots of Wal-Mart receipts for $90 PS4s - using a printout from Amazon for a PM. I was generally shocked Wal-Mart even accepted that in the first place.

but my $3 kayak...

Kayakmageddon was an interesting glitch.
IIRC it was that items were priced at the amount they were to be discounted, instead of price-discount. So for instance, instead of a $200 item getting $25 off and selling for $175, that $200 item showed up on the site as $25.

That was a fun thread.

Jarmel

Banned
Wait hold up.
alleged fraud
If you're initial policies didn't include this:
Marketplace vendors, third-party sellers (one of the ways this ordeal started), etailers requiring a membership and auction sites including eBay aren't eligible under the new revision.
in the first place, then that's not fraud. That's your lawyers and you being a dumbass.

The policy makes more sense now and is still pretty fair. If Amazon is actually selling something cheaper than Walmart, I can get them to price match. I just can't get them to price match "Amzon Electronics" or whatever it was.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They didn't really change it. Just fixed it really. This is how a typical online pricematch policy is written

Walmart took it like a champ and changed the policy to something sensible instead of getting rid of it. So it was a win-win

tbm24

Wait hold up.

If you're initial policies didn't include this:

in the first place, then that's not fraud. That's your lawyers and you being a dumbass.

It may not be fraud(I don't know enough about it to really say) but it can't be legitimate when the sale/price they used to price match was illegitimate itself.

I'm surprised their policy didn't already exclude third party sellers on Amazon; I assumed the confusion was coming from untrained workers who didn't know the difference with the deceiving "AmzonElectronics" seller name that was set up. Best Buy already had exclusion to their policy and people got around it. I think it's still going to be an issue properly training employees on differentiating 3rd/1st party as long as they allow online price matching.

Should have been only "shipped and sold from amazon" with the amazon logo in the first place, matching 3rd party sellers makes no sense

Wal Mart only has themselves to blame for people getting away with it, you can't have a price matching sheet taped in customer service detailing this

ZeroCoin

Saw it coming. Thanks guys.

Are you really upset that they actually reviewed their policy to adjust for ridiculous loopholes? It's not like they cut out price matching altogether. Not only that, but until they add better training to their staff it's still pitifully easy to get around this policy if you are really out to scam them.

Tak3n

Banned
simply put this is why you can not have nice things... systems get abused...

in the UK there is a seller on Amazon called Zoverstocks who automatically lower their price to be the cheapest, a lot of people do the same to them here, the difference being though Zoverstocks have a bottom line price they never go below

massoluk

Banned
That's fair enough, you're still getting pricematch from Amazon. The recent cases were clueless managers/cashiers couldn't waive obvious pricing error or couldn't tell fake from legit Amazon price.

Cavalier

Banned
This doesn't change anything.

They got scammed by Amazon third party seller and Sears $60 Wii U/3DSXL. Not by price matching some unknown website.

I'm surprised they didn't already have a policy like this in place, when I worked retail (albeit not at Walmart) we were aware of the major retailers we could price match, everything else was either denied or had to go through a manager for approval. At no point would a third party seller on Amazon EVER be allowed to be pricematched.

Jarmel

Banned
It may not be fraud(I don't know enough about it to really say) but it can't be legitimate when the sale/price they used to price match was illegitimate itself.

Technically it is legitimate if they didn't exclude third party sellers in the first place.

I don't usually shop at Walmart, at all, so I'm not that invested. But at least this isn't a complete shutdown of their PM policy. Could have ended much worse.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Why does everything have to be a "culture" now?
pretty sure he was joking

anyway glad this is getting stitched up. still irked about people patting themselves on the back for stealing and all the weird victim blaming in the other thread.

Omikaru

Technically it is legitimate if they didn't exclude third party sellers in the first place.

The third party sellers weren't legitimate, however. They were created on Amazon for the express intent of forcing Walmart to pricematch. There was no actual retailer selling actual product for Walmart to compete with.

That sounds a lot like fraud to me.

Top Bottom