• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

My name is Nicholas, and I'm a Scottaholic!

Honestly, Knives may be the obvious choice for the fifth character, but I want Young Neil just because he's one of my favourite characters.

Volcynika

Yeah there have been a lot of conflicting prices about the game. I do know Jeff Rubenstein confirmed $9.99 for PSN on the most recent PSBlog entry about the game, so I would assume XBLA would have essentially the same price, but I'm not sure...

D:

Burli

Pringo
This game should be fantastic, they really missed a big opportunity by not including online CO-OP but I'm sure they have their reasons for it.

Volcynika

Burli said:
This game should be fantastic, they really missed a big opportunity by not including online CO-OP but I'm sure they have their reasons for it.

As far as I can tell, it was one of the things they had to exclude due to a target release of getting it out around the movie's release date. Or something like that.

Salsa

This game has oldschool offline co-op written all over it, man. The way it should be played.

It would be a nice bonus, but i think this just adds to the throwback experience.

SalsaShark said:
This game has oldschool offline co-op written all over it, man. The way it should be played.

It would be a nice bonus, but i think this just adds to the throwback experience.

So it should be a retail game bundled with an arcade machine

Point is that being able to play it with people outside of your room does not take away from the retro experience. NBA Jam has online play, but it's a total throwback title. Some games lend themselves to online multi.

Salsa

A Link to the Snitch said:
So it should be a retail game bundled with an arcade machine

sure! that would be awesome

:p

im just messing, its a feature that wouldnt particulary make or break the game for me, but it certainly wouldnt hurt.

OMG. You can buy clothes and gear like River City Ransom. I'm so happy. Why is $10 for the PSN and 1200 MS points for XBLA? 1200 MS Points = $15

Volcynika

I remember Eurogamer posting their review early before the embargo was lifted, but I still can't tell if the embargo has been removed yet. Hopefully by the time I am on lunch break at work I can put some review links in the OP.

So yeah, I just confirmed something for myself about this game that's making me giddy:
Bosses flash faster the more you attack them
. It's a small thing, sure, but for someone who grew up playing the classic Konami arcade beat-em-ups, it's awesome.

When is the embargo for reviews lifted?

moai

Chauncy Talon said:
OMG. You can buy clothes and gear like River City Ransom. I'm so happy. Why is $10 for the PSN and 1200 MS points for XBLA? 1200 MS Points = $15

really? psn it is then. i'm not gonna pay more and get the game 15 days later. sad that i only own 1 dualshock.

shoplifter

FIGHT FOR LOVE AND BECOME THE BEST 23-YEAR-OLD EVER!
-Defeat Ramona’s 7 ex-boyfriends and their weird hordes of hipsters, emos, paparazzi, aliens, flying piggy banks (yes, flying piggy banks!) and many many more.

Ramona: Evil Exes

After seeing the movie, I'm excited to play this game! Especially since I love River City Ransom (perhaps my favorite game ever) so I love this style of game play.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So I bought the game via Ubisoft's store just to make double extra sure I got it for 9.99 and the 12 digit PSN code isn't working. Is it possible it won't let you enter codes until the game is "officially" up on the US PSN store?

Volcynika

Kaijima said:
So I bought the game via Ubisoft's store just to make double extra sure I got it for 9.99 and the 12 digit PSN code isn't working. Is it possible it won't let you enter codes until the game is "officially" up on the US PSN store?

That's how it works. Once it's put up on the store, it should work.

reassuring to see a positive review trickle in
still waiting on more impressions, but i have a feeling i will be $10 poorer tonight

I was originally going to hold out for the XBLA version, but screw it. It's offline co-op anyway, and I want to play it NOW.

Plus if it ends up being 1,200 points: screw that.

ezekial45

Banned
The whole thing's based around Scott Pilgrim's quest to defeat the seven evil exes of his love, Ramona Flowers. As you can imagine, this makes for an ideal game framework: seven levels, seven unique bosses. You've got the snow-covered streets of Toronto, a movie set, highways; the game world is rich and the levels never end looking exactly like they started. Take the movie set for example: You'll be punching and kicking through paparazzi one moment, and fighting creeps in monster costumes the next, all through a "camera lens," Viewtiful Joe-style. (Just wait 'til you get to beat up the guys in the green mo-cap suits.)

Awww. :(

Still a nice review though. Glad to see theres a Boss Rush mode though.

ezekial45 said:
Awww. :(

Still a nice review though. Glad to see theres a Boss Rush mode though.
It's a beat-em up. Depending on stage duration that's the perfect length. Who would ever want to sit down and play through a 6+ hour beat-em-up?

ezekial45

Banned
_dementia said:
It's a beat-em up. Depending on stage duration that's the perfect length. Who would ever want to sit down and play through a 6+ hour beat-em-up?

I know. I was just hoping for more side levels i guess.

Kai Dracon

The world map graphic shows way more than just 7 "spots" to stop on the map, but they're arranged by "world" SMB3 style. So like there's multiple stops in world 1. And the first stage is the frozen park - that can't be where you have the fight against Mathew Patel, for example.

ezekial45

Banned
Kaijima said:
The world map graphic shows way more than just 7 "spots" to stop on the map, but they're arranged by "world" SMB3 style. So like there's multiple stops in world 1. And the first stage is the frozen park - that can't be where you have the fight against Mathew Patel, for example.

Perhaps you can skip to particular Acts for that stage.

eXistor

Having only recently begun reading Scott Pilgrim (blazed through the first and immediately ordered the rest after that), I now want this game yesterday. It looks like a blast, but I'll read the rest of the comics first.

Kai Dracon

Eurogamer seems to dock it points just because it is a "licensed" game, and not because being licensed /makes it a bad game/. A third of the review is nothing but whining about how being a licensed game undermines the integrity of gaming or something :p

For chrissake. How could there /not/ be a "licensed" game for Scott Pilgrim. It's like the one license on the planet that demands to be made into a game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
btrick said:
will this game be a sad sad lonely experience if i play this by myself?

It'll still be fun, but Hil in IGN's review said the game is balanced for co-op. So you have to grind your lvl up to beat some of the later stages easily.

Top Bottom