• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshots and gifs of great unported 80s/90s arcade games

Savage Quest.

post-5519-1130423257.jpg

post-5519-1130423298.jpg

Loved this game back in the day. You run around as a T-Rex trying to get your stolen eggs back, fighting all sorts of other dinosaurs and cavemen. You even gain health back by eating things, if I recall.

Apparently it was quite rare. I remember it being at a place called the Falls in south Jersey, and it was also at Disney Quest, though I haven't been there in like a decade, and it may be closing soon. It apparently was going to be ported to the Dreamcast, but in the end wasn't.

I've never been able to understand what happened to beat em ups as a genre. For games that wanted to be 3-d not that we have systems that can due the genre justice where are the updates to Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc.

Galdelico

Really? I wonder why they called it Dynablaster then?

Yep, if you take a look at the videos, you'll see they're the exact same game.
And no clue about the title-change. Licensing issues maybe? Probably the same reason why PC Genjin/Bonk was also renamed - as BC Kid - on the Amiga.

maks

Savage Quest.

post-5519-1130423257.jpg

post-5519-1130423298.jpg

Loved this game back in the day. You run around as a T-Rex trying to get your stolen eggs back, fighting all sorts of other dinosaurs and cavemen. You even gain health back by eating things, if I recall.

Apparently it was quite rare. I remember it being at a place called the Falls in south Jersey, and it was also at Disney Quest, though I haven't been there in like a decade, and it may be closing soon. It apparently was going to be ported to the Dreamcast, but in the end wasn't.

I worked on this game. Around 200 machines went out. You played the sit down version right? We put together a rebalance that was tested in a few socal arcades which really improved the overall experience. I wish we could have sent it out to everyone.

The game really played well and had great physics. You could grab or headbutt smaller enemies, send them airborne, and then catch them with your bite while they were still in the air. I was a fighting game player at the time and loved juggles so this was especially fun. It seems like a few people got a hold of the game and put videos on youtube. Perhaps it will make an appearance on mame.

Mugy

Spider-Man The Video Game:

1091861393.jpg

1218267624.jpg

tumblr_lvyl2uUE3D1qfa1jdo1_400.gif

I used to love playing this, as it was so very Comic Book-like. I thought it had great graphics for a 1991 release, and I always wondered why there was never a home console port...

... This would also be my main frame of reference for Namor and Black Cat for years to come.

Wow i didn't know this game! What an awful character playable choices, LMAO.

How does this games do compared to X-men arcade (Konami) and The avengers beat em'up?

Wow i didn't know this game! What an awful character playable choices, LMAO.

How does this games do compared to X-men arcade (Konami) and The avengers beat em'up?

I'd say its better than Avengers, and a bit worse than X-Men. Spidey has the annoying mechanic where health is always draining, so you have to be extra careful.

Its also worth noting that Spidey has 2D side scrolling platformer/simple run and gun hybrid. Its a nice break from the beat em up action and also serves as the point to get some health back (as its pretty plentiful in these sections, as long as your careful).
What makes Spidey so great for me is the graphics and the sheer number of bosses in the game - in the first level alone you fight Venom (several times), Scorpion and Kingpin. Then along the way you fight guys like Lizard, Green Goblin, Electro, Doc Ock, Doctor Doom and so many more. I like it so much that I ended up getting the arcade PCB for the game, definitely worth playing if you have the opportunity.

I had never heard of this one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Ivg4RvMjM

The music is just...LMAO.

There was a Radikal Biker's arcade game next door to a place I used to work at a long time ago in the early 2000's. It was a kitchy game, but was quite fun, and it did get a PS1 port.

Here's another Gaelco game, and this one never made it to home consoles unlike Radikal Bikers....

world_rally02.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgLI9jnE6Y

World Rally Championship, which was also produced by Atari for the west in 1993. This is a top down isometric Rally racer that I sunk a lot of money into back in the day. It was just a fun game to play in general and was really responsive and fast paced.

It even had a sequel called World Rally 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnnsH2aPi8

Another Alien game that got left behind in the arcades...

Alien 3: The Gun (Sega, 1993)

BlZ4wlz.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJbsIETUbcA

This one was made for Sega's Sega System 32 sprite scaling hardware, and was a pretty awesome light gun game back in the day. Considering that Sega has the Alien license, I'm surprised that they haven't released this one on home consoles or found a way to give it out as a bonus with Alien Isolation.

Another light gun game from Sega...

Jurassic Park (1994)

Mt4zf37.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6I-4CcKAXo

Also used Sega's System 32 sprite scaling hardware just like Alien 3: The Gun did. They also made a follow up in 1997 using Model 3 hardware for Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

Another Alien game that got left behind in the arcades...

This one was made for Sega's Sega System 32 sprite scaling hardware, and was a pretty awesome light gun game back in the day. Considering that Sega has the Alien license, I'm surprised that they haven't released this one on home consoles or found a way to give it out as a bonus with Alien Isolation.

Oh man, could you imagine if this were included as an easter egg or something on Alien Isolation? People's minds would have been blown!

It speaks a lot about the system that none game of system 32 has any sort of port in consoles.

To my knowledge, there are only two Sega System 32 games that made it to home consoles. OutRunners was ported to the Mega Drive/ Genesis, though sadly it was far from perfect. The other is Gale Racer (AKA: Rad Mobile), which was ported to the Sega Saturn...

Gale%20Racer%20(J)%20Front.jpg

But was only ever released in Japan.

bee

Here's another Gaelco game, and this one never made it to home consoles unlike Radikal Bikers....

world_rally02.jpg

World Rally Championship, which was also produced by Atari for the west in 1993. This is a top down isometric Rally racer that I sunk a lot of money into back in the day. It was just a fun game to play in general and was really responsive and fast paced.

It even had a sequel called World Rally 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnnsH2aPi8

wow great game and a very long time since i played that, no idea there was ever a sequel (which looks great) and it's not even emulated

I worked on this game. Around 200 machines went out. You played the sit down version right? We put together a rebalance that was tested in a few socal arcades which really improved the overall experience. I wish we could have sent it out to everyone.

The game really played well and had great physics. You could grab or headbutt smaller enemies, send them airborne, and then catch them with your bite while they were still in the air. I was a fighting game player at the time and loved juggles so this was especially fun. It seems like a few people got a hold of the game and put videos on youtube. Perhaps it will make an appearance on mame.

Well thanks for working on it then. I really loved playing this game, and I wish I knew where I could still find it. I don't know if its on Mame, because I don't really use it, but evidently it may be out there. Both of the places I saw it at, it was a sit down version, and honestly, I assumed that the only way it came. Its really a shame that more people don't seem to know about it.

Dizzy-4U

world_rally02.jpg

What I remember about this game is that the steering wheel had no limits (like the helm on a boat) so you could spin it like crazy and still take the turns perfectly. It felt really good.

Funny you say that, I found out about Heavy Smash by searching Soccer Brawl material. The two games really do have a similar style

image.png
Yeah, definitely reminds me of Soccer Brawl instantly.

I was going to post Soccer Brawl in here but didn't because it got a Neo Geo home console release, even though I've never met anyone who owned a Neo Geo, so I think it counts lol.

There was a Radikal Biker's arcade game next door to a place I used to work at a long time ago in the early 2000's. It was a kitchy game, but was quite fun, and it did get a PS1 port.

world_rally02.jpg

There's a very similar game for the Mega Drive and SNES (PAL only and the MD version is better actually). It also has a sort of upgraded and prettier version for the Atari Jaguar). Quite a meaty singleplayer, just remember to switch the sound from music to effects (yes, you have to fucking choose either) to get some cool car sounds.

power-drive-europe-enfrdeespt.png
519A41XC74L.jpg

Plus, there's a similar game on the Neo Geo called DriftOut, which by the look of Youtube vids, seems even more awesome than Power Drive!

Neo_Drift_Out_NGCD_cover.jpg

To my knowledge, there are only two Sega System 32 games that made it to home consoles. OutRunners was ported to the Mega Drive/ Genesis, though sadly it was far from perfect. The other is Gale Racer (AKA: Rad Mobile), which was ported to the Sega Saturn...

Gale%20Racer%20(J)%20Front.jpg

But was only ever released in Japan.

The MD/Genesis port of Outrunners is horrednous, it's like they took the wrong MAME rom for a twin cabinet and ported into a splitscreen only game and took away all the scenery that ever existed.

Radmobile/Gale Racer on the Saturn weirdly enough replaces all the sprite scaled cars with polygon ones, I guess it was to offload the game to both processors or something!

eso76

Plus, there's a similar game on the Neo Geo called DriftOut, which by the look of Youtube vids, seems even more awesome than Power Drive!

Neo Drift Out is the Neo Geo sequel to Drift Out '94, which itself was the sequel to Drift Out, which was pure top down as opposed to isometric, with the track rotating around you. Ported to SNES as Super Drift Out.

Isometric racers became rather popular in late 90s, there were plenty. I wasn't really a fan of the assisted countersteering and drifting they all, necessarily, had.
On Neogeo you also had the pretty good Over Top

Blomby Car is another arcade that was never ported.

blmbycaru.png

Mortal Race - obscure title no one has ever heard of

MortalRace2_zpsa355b245.jpg

Dammit, this reminds me I have both Strike Fighter and Wild Riders (which i believe never received a port either) but no means to actually play them :(

LSBzckj.jpg

I should probably sell them at some point, but it is still painful.

Wild Riders is a pretty sick Naomi 2 game. We had a cabinet at my arcade for a short time and it's a fun little romp with great graphical presentation.

(From what I understand, the cart is also pretty rare.)

What I remember about this game is that the steering wheel had no limits (like the helm on a boat) so you could spin it like crazy and still take the turns perfectly. It felt really good.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed playing the game, that is what I remember about the arcade cabinet the most. You could spin the steering wheel violently left or right almost indefinitely because it had no locking mechanism or stopper to limit its movements. Which made the game extra satisfying when nailing a corner correctly and pulling your hands off the wheel temporarily and watching it spin.

The first World Rally was always one of my go-to racers in the arcade, whenever the Daytona machine's were full..

There's a very similar game for the Mega Drive and SNES (PAL only and the MD version is better actually). It also has a sort of upgraded and prettier version for the Atari Jaguar). Quite a meaty singleplayer, just remember to switch the sound from music to effects (yes, you have to fucking choose either) to get some cool car sounds.
-pictures-

-pictures-

I've played Power Drive on the Mega Drive and the Jaguar (through emulation) and it is pretty fun, but the handling for the cars are a-little too frigidity in both of those versions. The Jaguar game is still a particularly nice version of Power Drift, though.

Same with Neo Drift Out (I've seen one before in a real arcade), Neo Drift Out is an awesome isometric rally styled game in itself. It comes close to World Rally in fun-factor (for me), but it does a few neat things of its own. Like the hardware zooming effects that pull the screen back at times. It made brilliant use of the Neo-Geo hardware and did some things differently gameplay wise.

The only thing it lacked in the arcade was a proper steering wheel, like World Rally. But that was forgivable given it's on the MVS.

Neo Drift Out is the Neo Geo sequel to Drift Out '94, which itself was the sequel to Drift Out, which was pure top down as opposed to isometric, with the track rotating around you. Ported to SNES as Super Drift Out.

Oh interesting, I didn't know it was part of a series. Looking up videos of the original Drift Out, I think I have seen this one in a real arcade before. I remember the interesting way that the track rotates around the car. But it was an arcade game that I could never remember the name to.

Radmobile/Gale Racer on the Saturn weirdly enough replaces all the sprite scaled cars with polygon ones, I guess it was to offload the game to both processors or something!

Yeah they made some things different for the Saturn game. The Saturn was a beast when it came to handling sprite scaling and rotation, but maybe they went for polygon cars instead because they were running into limitations when trying to fit all of the "car-frame view angle" images into the system's memory?

But yeah, the Saturn port is not arcade perfect either, it changes some things and even alters the track design. Graphics and sprites also have a bigger boost in colour in the Saturn version.

Yeah they made some things different for the Saturn game. The Saturn was a beast when it came to handling sprite scaling and rotation, but maybe they went for polygon cars instead because they were running into limitations when trying to fit all of the "car-frame view angle" images into the system's memory?

But yeah, the Saturn port is not arcade perfect either, it changes some things and even alters the track design. Graphics and sprites also have a bigger boost in colour in the Saturn version.

Probably a memory issue, I'm guessing they would have had to ship it with a RAM cart to make it arcade perfect. Something Sega probably wasn't willing to do with first party games, at least so early in the consoles lifespan.

I pray each evening for a Outrunners and Radmobile 100% arcade perfect home port!

I thought I knew my obscure arcade games, but half of the games mentioned here I haven't even seen before. Some of them look awesome. This is like a treasure chest.

eso76

Round Up 5 - Super Delta Force | Tatsumi

hqdefault.jpg

Chase HQ clone from 1989

Gray Out | Tatsumi

250px-Gray-Out.jpg

After burner clone

A couple more sprang to mind, but I'm not sure if they had home ports

Gaiapolis: it's like an action RPG a cool fantasy vibe

eCh0pPa.gif

Maaaaaaaaaaan I've been trying to remember the name of this game for years now!!! I wish I could buy you a beer! You just made my week

Top Bottom