• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw iphone/S7, Axon 7 is where its at (1440p, SD820, 4gb ram, hifi audio, $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same before I got my current phone. You get used to it very quickly and it’s excellent for media consumption.

I have a Nexus 6P now (had a Galaxy S4 5" screen before) and there's no way I'm going back to a 5" or less screen again. I don't even have the biggest hands and it's fantastic. Love it.

If I had cash to spare, I'd love to get my hands on the Axon 7.

I have a Nexus 6P now (had a Galaxy S4 5" screen before) and there's no way I'm going back to a 5" or less screen again. I don't even have the biggest hands and it's fantastic. Love it.

If I had cash to spare, I'd love to get my hands on the Axon 7.

I had a Nexus 6 and went to an S7 Edge. I think 5.5 is the sweet spot for me

Chinese phones are getting better day by day. Of you don't use phone as a symbol status and just want bang for bucks nothing beat Chinese phones
Gotta love these cheap jabs. I'm still baffled that people think bloody phones are used as status symbols. A Ferrari is a status symbol. Phones are not.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I thought the same before I got my current phone. You get used to it very quickly and it’s excellent for media consumption.

With only 3GB to burn monthly it's not exactly like I could consume a bunch of media anyway.

If I'm somewhere with a wi-fi signal it's likely that I'm at work or at home and have much bigger, proper screens available to be anyway.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I honestly don't even thing a Ferrari is, but I don't really give a shit about cars

Expensive cars are less status symbols and more a sign of "I have a bunch of money and make poor decisions."

Sometimes the "bunch of money" part may not even be true, to be fair.

jem0208

With only 3GB to burn monthly it's not exactly like I could consume a bunch of media anyway.

If I'm somewhere with a wi-fi signal it's likely that I'm at work or at home and have much bigger, proper screens available to be anyway.

I have 500mb and I only ever use mine at home where I've got a laptop sitting next to me. Honestly it's so good on my phone that I rarely ever bother using my laptop unless I'm writing long form essays etc.

Honestly in general use there are benefits as well, whenever you need to use a keyboard the larger screen is fantastic because there's much more content visible.

RS4-

I'm only buying phones in the sub 200 USD market. So thats why I went with the Xiaomi Note 3 Pro.

Zero issues and great CM support if I wanted to switch.

reKon

Banned
I wouldn't use a 5.5" phone if you gave it to me for free. That's just obscene for daily use.

That depends. It's not a big deal to use it two handed. And if you need to use it one handed, there are 5.5 inch phones that have a one handed mode.

Kthulhu

Sounds like a good phone. Competition is always a good thing, especially at that price. If I wasn't a Nexus fanboy I'd consider getting one myself.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Ugly as hell.

LeleSocho

Banned
chinese newbie company? no thanks

ZTE?

A newbie company?

Are you high?

---

Axon 7 is a great phone if you can ignore the butt ugly design and if you like 5.5 phones.
More interested on how will they follow up on this phone, if this is a new start for ZTE or just a one-hit wonder, more competition please.

Bootloader is locked so no custom roms. ZTE said that they might unlock bootloader in future, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

A locked bootloader doesn't always stop CM development. All it takes is for a group to find the flaw and that can open the floodgates. It's how I rooted all of my HTC devices with locked bootloaders

bronk

Banned
Looks pretty darn cool. Id maybe be interested if i didnt get an S7 recently. Great price too.

A locked bootloader doesn't always stop CM development. All it takes is for a group to find the flaw and that can open the floodgates. It's how I rooted all of my HTC devices with locked bootloaders

Doesn't really happen any more. Locked bootloader is pretty much it for a device unless the company gives you the option of unlocking it. Samsung bootloaders still can't be unlocked and those are the most popular android phones in the world.

rc213

I'm rocking one right now, Couldn't pass up this phone with same specs as the new flagships.

So far it's almost stock Android just a couple small customizations you can't ignore. No big deal, Getting better battery life then my Nexus 6P, Camera is pretty good except low light needs a bit of work.

The test will be Android updates which they've said they want to get as close to monthly as possible. For now I'm keeping it because i have no faith in HTC built Nexus.

Jeffrey

ZTE?

A newbie company?

Are you high?

---

Axon 7 is a great phone if you can ignore the butt ugly design and if you like 5.5 phones.
More interested on how will they follow up on this phone, if this is a new start for ZTE or just a one-hit wonder, more competition please.

Well their first premium was last year which had great specs at a decent price with some notable flaws that they addressed this year. can't imagine them going back next year, especially when it seems like sales are strong atm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZTE
In December 2010, ZTE sold systems for eavesdropping on phone and Internet communications to the government-controlled Telecommunication Company of Iran.[54] This system may help Iran monitor and track political dissidents.
At least one ZTE mobile phone (sold as the ZTE Score in the United States by Cricket and MetroPCS) can be remotely accessed by anyone with an easily obtained password

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-zte-usa-china-idUSKCN0W80AV
The U.S. Commerce Department is set to place export restrictions on Chinese telecoms equipment maker ZTE Corp (000063.SZ) for alleged violations of U.S. export controls on Iran, according to documents seen by Reuters.

The U.S. companies, which included Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O), IBM (IBM.N), Oracle Corp (ORCL.N) and Dell Inc [DI.UL], have all said they were not aware of the Iranian contracts. It is not clear if any of the companies still do business with ZTE.

The undated internal ZTE document also describes a proposal overseen by the company's legal department that describes ways to export American products subject to U.S. sanctions by using shell companies to avoid getting caught.

Yeah, sounds like a fantastic company to do business with.

I don't see how this looks ugly. Looks like every other smartphone out there these days outside of the front facing speakers. Unless that really bothers you that much..

Socreges

Banned
I don't see how this looks ugly. Looks like every other smartphone out there these days outside of the front facing speakers. Unless that really bothers you that much..
I think some people took "Screw iPhone" a bit personally

I just got a OP3, so I'm good. But on the surface this looks like a great value

Noobcraft

Really? I'm surprised that a $400 phone doesn't have a 1080p screen, especially an iPhone.
The only iPhone with a 1080P panel is the 6+. All their other phones are sub 1080P but in mobile PPI matters more than raw resolution (though Apple is way behind there too).

Blablurn

I love how they hired US based BMW design works to design it.

Can't trust Americans to figure out what Americans want!
Insert Homer Simpson Car . Jpg

I see plenty of well designed phones everyday here in china, especially from xiaomi and huawei. They arew way sleeker than this :s

You can get the iPhone SE 16gb for 399 and its soc destroys the 820.
"destroys"
82135.png

82138.png

82190.png

82207.png

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Looks like an HTC One M8 (my favorite phone ever) and LG G3 did the fusion technique. The iPhone 7 is/will be shit, but my iPhone 6S Plus should last me until next year.

-d0hv

Jeffrey

If it doesnt have iOS i probably wont buy it. nice looking phone though

I was this at some point until I learned android in a day and spent $10 for the apps I needed.

I'm fine with either platform, but it's hard to stomach the price of an iPhone when there are so many good android phones for way cheaper.

Jimrpg

I'm getting a 5" android when my iPhone 6 dies. I'm not spending Au$1200 on a phone when I can spend $300 on just about the same thing. With the extra money I'm getting an HTC Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom