• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw iphone/S7, Axon 7 is where its at (1440p, SD820, 4gb ram, hifi audio, $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therapist

Damn those are nice specs.

I want a bigger screen though.

I mainly use my phone as a media player on commutes to/from work or browsing - its funny how little i use my phone as an actual phone. Texting over phone calls etc.

Those pics of the grey one are damned nice.

reKon

Banned
Lol at the people saying this phone is hideous. You're dumb. If the speaker holes were smaller, it would look much better, but it's far from ugly.

I own a Galaxy Note 5 and my wife owns a LG G3 which is already acting up. My wife is willing to have my phone and I would buy this one for me (plus get those headphones via Newegg.com). Is this a good deal for me or shall I wait to see what's coming and miss out on the headphones deal from newegg (basically it turns this into a $200 purchase based on the value of the headset on Newegg.com)?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I own a Galaxy Note 5 and my wife owns a LG G3 which is already acting up. My wife is willing to have my phone and I would buy this one for me (plus get those headphones via Newegg.com). Is this a good deal for me or shall I wait to see what's coming and miss out on the headphones deal from newegg (basically it turns this into a $200 purchase based on the value of the headset on Newegg.com)?

Of note, those headphones are only $99 on Amazon, so they are over inflated on Newegg.

Jeffrey

Some people were asking about what the gray axon 7 looks like, seems like some shipped.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=amJkejNZY1g1U0FXdzdYQ0RxUkQ2enNlWlc3ZnRB
0DcArhRcElSPEg9YzTOMTpsc8aO4s5tvE1e7Cki7eW2RxVg__uEuZBeGNKzKN3TfTIiukYZCafyasAvY7NAUfiJKSLr2CEGQ5s9QL9NBjs3LsGBciaBjJ3LN8tOKNQKK2sNKRNHjCJcecEjMD2JDXI5WIuJ68fA4BOlj6O5EPPdIEq8DhCu6xFdS8NubSJM4b2y8FYcnH3vxWpLz6m831erPCwjDMqMCqfkHTQZVM8-EHFR41vIThB1_BNt3i7yfWT8NN0_VdnSq-256RaXQpsPBren6h_9ZWp-Jrz10JbTXpLnZRgtaKdP41DfhMV7eBV_1LRkDNxfdibfKozYi5dYwQWtcxaI7-HFPMcTE9OktwzIa2dTnVuta1Bsx_UWW9BtlXK0i-HzDrqNSLb9iiY9IqZPtnpAJa8GQ-NEnPj6l2RTEDaCDR4fYZIny5jpZLPztPIZpAJnkC1YJ4CPviFQ4gNRA9mI-CRGI5_ZSgeBWKueBFRHcUUqjVPCaebbPF8tzk2zjJktHBCnmVYaNLQ01dq5pGc8WwxhF0LjDsBOz9CAgiQscwoveZhKQuRvcvA__CIZoFPMaPCoEsmJ_Ic0RkvzBO5Mi=w915-h1223-no

eYMN5c04B5MAOJakS4Anc5d2IDHQG6svfUh32a7j2Dp1L0gb5R6gvQnfJUkWUJLB_EM8wcjkBUbJmmnomKEa6KGqxt1AknabdFc4HtRFF8mayLK_K-v4Lr3rJ83unwnerOkbhCDW6-kQUPWGqDt_by9bVgjuB_oM-5S8iHmMknJ3QUWNnRvIBxTqRlGrIgcRBRzYjpXgjOSyxKplXzPmiZvZsApMGq5nyyKp2-1Orez_xVK2sMAc4AuGtQVaLjvTJzo_2OKB23lc2w_GcD6nOntPKsYYnHCdDfdk2CoL8JNk17YdcSXisyBfAKkI6lVtx_4e2uNCByQ-ZDlUlmI2WcSCkIiYiOOk6E3WC1h3CII_EsCAbH1F_qbSK88JSJziUjt1LmyN93zZewFxqSRoRdM-nS7xdS9bFhaPMuWqHexng0yEZsefTn26ULqFTzWOVDU1nE1rejLnWx0sqjxbqTlfa3ckKlAY1G0DkFlozzGa-4bQLc6DGdmOd94czDqjyOkTUfmjD6aaRZnv_1Dk4eweQYSqrGmMjb6AGhPwYzfd1c2NBF0MKf7e6X2y_mk-m2q_WLBJwiKzZ2s3tMKzXpz7dN3QAQ7_=w689-h1223-no

DIJKEbt62O4tancn9cJa0CRqSvMzyp0bF6qM_z3NvrCZ8NdwRN0wpIhR0kdhrMkSCtid0npwDmm6Fdik6WG6r3euFO4Gna06mIKHTHTD4LXBCNOauQ0HiOOfzT1VbKp6scAonoVf3ER3sJ2VrUu4bcte2uJ6hHkunUxHzUcrWrBf9MQh7BCJsKmfGK6tKfv5imyD3FZb10lv5mf20i2T_PQRo2xPOkExDtXJ_yqBgzmo51ixJec9MR8V3SsMvC3FHW2j-JkwxBJEmHfouimspG6oysq83LUVX4mDnuT0QMutzwiS89zzAjqVTbFIGqb3RuRB5alP46LBD4tCaDrispNQN3aLgLsE2T8WXLo94LWpIibNVvxdacMfA8PoWy8-muwM4laZdlwaB52Mvteuxmd4a68a2nEhTHOWPUSYi9zp49vYeZ9GFXL9CTxNlSF0We1ikJrxryry9GKXYaPdH7t_rgHctdK-QVIkcJaDKmgSart85_sSlwHNMrNP3u0bn6m5-20LFJIlsGQfiwE_QBhutTO6zHBfld8fKyWvKQ6X-Z9iGasowrkJ7-PR6IiXD00rEVZZZsVANEOnKKMZg1HomaSb_iLD=w689-h1223-no

RS4-

i had no idea phones had to get approved for 60fps youtube. Why?

Yeah this was news to me. Now I have to see if mine does 60

Anyway I've had my Redmi Note 3 Pro for a month now, very happy. I'll get a new "budget" phone again in a year or so depending on what comes out in the sub 300 range.

jdstorm

Banned
Sounds like a good deal.
I'm still probably going to go for an S7 or 8 for my next phone. Mostly due to the waterproofing, and the ability to easily find lots of high protection cases (I drop my phone a lot)

Jeffrey

Sounds like a good deal.
I'm still probably going to go for an S7 or 8 for my next phone. Mostly due to the waterproofing, and the ability to easily find lots of high protection cases (I drop my phone a lot)

Incipio and other companies are looking into it now that it's selling through stock like crazy. You can prototype and sell cases really quickly lol.

Honestly, it may be a small thing, but the big deal breaker for me on the Axon 7 (that I just recently found out) is that the capacitive buttons on the front don't even light up, while being close together... That would drive me nuts. And apparently it doesn't give you an option to switch to on-screen buttons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Herne

I'm waiting for Umi's flagship myself. Helio X20 or X25, 6GB, 64/128GB, Nougat, double sim/micro sd, dual rear camera lens', possibly an S7 Edge-alike screen. Supposedly priced around $250-$300, and Umi usually hand out large coupons for pre-orders. They handed out $70 coupons for the Umi Super.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Specs look good. I wouldn't mind it. People bashing it don't know what they are talking about. You realize an iPhone is worth just as much right? The apple logo is the premium you pay extra for. Good to see more and more android phones out there. The more choices the better. It's good for the market. Why would anyone be against this phone?

My brother got the gray variant yesterday and I got to play with it for a good hour and it's an awesome phone! Super fast and the screen is very bright (although not as bright as my Note 5) but the colors seemed a tiny bit washed out (maybe because it had the screen film applied to it). The speakers are VERY nice although they sounded a bit flat (but that's to be expected). With headphones is another thing altogether. It sounds amazing and the DAC sure makes tunes pop up and have a very rich sound. The camera is very serviceable (software has a lot of options in Manual mode) but obviously not as good as the Note camera (based on my short time playing with it and I only took night pictures with it). Overall for $399 is a steal and most likely will be my next phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sorta want this for an upgrade, but they aren't gonna have any more units till the 9th at the earliest. OnePlus is sold out as well.

At this rate by time one of these budget priced flagships actually get in stock Nexus phones should be incoming.

Idk wtf to do, but I don't want to spend $850 on a Note.

Noema

nope. sadly if you want 1080p these days its pretty limited. 1440p is nice for vr, but day 2 day stuff makes no difference.

I'd argue that it does make a difference on larger phones (5.5" or larger) with pentile AMOLED displays since they literally have a lower effective resolution than LCD IPS displays.

Jeffrey

I'd argue that it does make a difference on larger phones (5.5" or larger) with pentile AMOLED displays since they literally have a lower effective resolution than LCD IPS displays.

A bit, but my eyes aren't amazing anyhow. Played with my friend's Oneplus 3 and its fine for me.

Erv

Two things really killed the hype for me. The home buttons are not backlit. Wth. Can that be changed in an update where they put buttons on the screen? And also everytime you want to see your notifications you have to press a bell icon. I'm sure that can be changed but what were they thinking

rc213

My brother got the gray variant yesterday and I got to play with it for a good hour and it's an awesome phone! Super fast and the screen is very bright (although not as bright as my Note 5) but the colors seemed a tiny bit washed out (maybe because it had the screen film applied to it). The speakers are VERY nice although they sounded a bit flat (but that's to be expected). With headphones is another thing altogether. It sounds amazing and the DAC sure makes tunes pop up and have a very rich sound. The camera is very serviceable (software has a lot of options in Manual mode) but obviously not as good as the Note camera (based on my short time playing with it and I only took night pictures with it). Overall for $399 is a steal and most likely will be my next phone.

The applied film is like Vaseline on the screen. The one included with the paperwork is pretty great and staying on until i find a tempered glass.

Jeffrey

Two things really killed the hype for me. The home buttons are not backlit. Wth. Can that be changed in an update where they put buttons on the screen? And also everytime you want to see your notifications you have to press a bell icon. I'm sure that can be changed but what were they thinking

1. its possible. Chinese variant doesn't even have capacitive buttons (seems like they were a last minute addition, which is why its not backlit, even though there are settings to enable that in the phone lol).

2. bell is confirmed to be addressed in a future update.

Erv

1. its possible. Chinese variant doesn't even have capacitive buttons (seems like they were a last minute addition, which is why its not backlit, even though there are settings to enable that in the phone lol).

2. bell is confirmed to be addressed in a future update.

cool. so what exactly can be enabled in the settings?

Jeffrey

cool. so what exactly can be enabled in the settings?

Theres a setting for capacitive button backlight lol. Naturally doesn't do anything, but you can see that they were planning on adding that but couldn't due to reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom