• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw iphone/S7, Axon 7 is where its at (1440p, SD820, 4gb ram, hifi audio, $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

yeah i had to set up a cheap android phone a few weeks back plus my nephew has a tablet with it its just a horrible os... just hate it with a passion. i dont love ios either but its just better...
What specifically don’t you like about it?

One of the best things about android is that you can pretty much always change something by downloading an app. I could set up my homescreen to be identical to ios if I wanted.

That said functionality and usability are pretty much identical between Ios and android. I’d be willing to bet that if you took a couple of days to get used to the differences in android you wouldn’t hate it.

kiguel182

Nothing you listed there makes up for the fact it doesn't have iOS. I would still go for the iPhone which probably has a better camera and soc too.

RM8

I bought a ZTE phone for my mother ~2 years ago. It was faulty, the replacement was faulty, and while I was wasting my time at the carrier store in order to get a new phone I saw several people returning the same model. I mean, it's a shame if this is a good product, but when it comes to phones I wouldn't give ZTE a second chance, since there are tons of good options available.

Kthulhu

Did they finally sort out the horrendous audio latency?

I personally haven't noticed any over the past 2 years. I didn't use Android in the early days, but I know prior to project butter's introduction that Android was really clunky.

Drifters

Do the Chinese have a vendetta against using stock Android? I mean seriously, why put out something half-assed to ruin the experience?

Jeffrey

Do the Chinese have a vendetta against using stock Android? I mean seriously, why put out something half-assed to ruin the experience?

I mean pretty much everyone does some custom stuff. the ZTE custom stuff is pretty light, just a few more bells and whistles on mostly a stock option.

Stuff like Asus, or Samsung are way worse.

I guess no one read the article I linked, but ZTE got slapped back in March with export restrictions by the U.S. government for illegally reselling U.S. hardware and software to Iran (in violation of sanctions). Considering 80% of their revenue last year was this kind of resales, I question the future of ZTE, at least here in the U.S. So if you want that phone you should probably grab it now.

ZTE is big enough to work something out with the government somehow. It's how things usually goes. Seems like they are sorting stuff out in the latest update I've seen.

Despite huge efforts from Apple or Samsung Chinese phones are getting more and more popular in China. Many makers sell millions of phones. It's gonna be interesting to see which of those companies will crack foreign markets first. Like big time. Huawei is doing a great job but I think their flagships are still not up with the best from from Korea or USA.

was wondering this. Huawei's first real 'flagship' released in the west was the nexus 6p, but I've not heard any of their other stuff being sold here?

Jeffrey

That's a low blow even coming from you. I see no value add in skins or additions aside from apps that maybe come pre-loaded. There just isn't anything worthwhile that would hold back security updates or OS updates imo.

skins/additions slows it down for sure,but it doesn't mean much if the OEM doesn't care. after lenovo bought moto, their updates have slowed drastically even though they mostly run stockish android.

Heck last year's moto x pure isn't even on 6.0.1 yet.

this_guy

For everyone throwing out updates as a con - last year's Axon Pro has been receiving monthly security updates. It also received Marshmallow back in February, which isn't great but on par with the likes of the Samsungs and LG's of the world. That was still months ahead of OnePlus 2 receiving it's Marshmallow update.

This phone, along with Idol 4s, OPO3 and the upcoming Zenfone 3 are the best value in phones right now.

Why spend $800 every two years when you can spend $400 every year.

this_guy

This phone, along with Idol 4s, OPO3 and the upcoming Zenfone 3 are the best value in phones right now.

Why spend $800 every two years when you can spend $400 every year.

Add the upcoming Huawei Honor 8 (cheaper Huawei P9 that has a glass body instead of metal) to that list.

So you've used two low end Android devices for a short amount of time..... OK.....

Have you used stock Android since Jellybean?

yes.

maybe, just maybe, finally, they can catch up to Samsung's Android 4.1.1 JellyBean Multi-Window feature in the next one...

still waiting on a S-Beam clone.

airborn

Huawei's first real 'flagship' released in the west was the nexus 6p, but I've not heard any of their other stuff being sold here?
Huawei is the second most popular smartphone brand in Europe.

Meizu have also been making some inroads into the West, with official distribution and support in France, Spain and Italy. Their phones are still missing Band 20 support though.

Erv

It seems I have been seeing pictures of the gold color only. if someone comes across a video review of the quartz gray let me know. The phone will be shipping soon I think so hopefully some photos are released.

Starviper

OnePlus 3 is what I got very recently and honestly i'd say it's the better purchase all around at the same price point. The one thing this has that the OP3 doesn't is a better screen resolution but keep in mind that costs battery life. SD slot is neat as well.

Erv

OnePlus 3 is what I got very recently and honestly i'd say it's the better purchase all around at the same price point. The one thing this has that the OP3 doesn't is a better screen resolution but keep in mind that costs battery life. SD slot is neat as well.

youve tried the axon 7?

NimbusD

Interesting. I had the ZTE supreme for a long time, was pretty okay. Comparable specs to whatever galaxy was around at the time, but that thing got like half of one update before it was completely abandoned. And like OP said, no unlocked bootloader means I couldn't do much with it.

But tbh, for the price it was pretty good. But I'll never, ever buy a phone that doesnt get updates again, and ZTE fucked me once so they'll have to earn any sort of trust from me on that front.

jem0208

Every review I’ve seen has said the battery life on the Axon is actually better than the 3.

The Axon also has better audio.

TokiDoki

- camera isn't great at low light,

no thanks . This is pretty much one of the most important feature that warrants an upgrade .

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know they're all just slabs of aluminum and plastic, but I've never liked that curved top. Rounded edges, sure, or even hard edges but that gradual curve just looks ugly to my eyes for some reason.

Jeffrey

So can you depend on this phone to get future android updates?
Last year's model got marshmallow it early 2016, which is about inline with other companies.

No clue about next year because they've only had 2 'premium' phones.

Drain You

This phone looks awesome, and as someone who bought a ZTE Zmax 2 on a whim when I broke my Galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if this phone was also of good quality. I was pleasantly surprised with how comparable the ZMAX felt, especially considering it was only 100$ if I am remembering correctly.

cereal_killerxx

Any clue how updates would work for this thing? Is it carrier specific? I was thinking about getting this for Cricket but not sure if I would get future android updates or not.

Erv

IMG_20160710_153635901_zpsjv6pw6ak.jpg

photo of the grey one.

IMG_20160610_155215.jpg

Jeffrey

Any clue how updates would work for this thing? Is it carrier specific? I was thinking about getting this for Cricket but not sure if I would get future android updates or not.

It's an unlocked phone. Carrier has nothing to do with it.

I like the groove around the fingerprint sensor. Seems very useful in that you won't fumble around trying to find the sensor.

It's great at locating by feel.

Jeffrey

Perfect. So with the upcoming double tap from sleep in N we should be able to peek at notifications without picking up the phone, then fingerprint straight to desktop. Thanks all.

it already does that (most phones these days have that), its not that responsive though.

The fingerprint sensor is on the back so you still gotta pick it up lol. At that point just unlock with pattern/passcode, or just flip the phone up at an angle and reach behind (curved back makes it easy enough) with 1 hand.

Jeffrey

I'm surprised how this is one of the few threads or impressions about the phone that seem to really hate how it looks lol.

grill and camera don't look great, but compromises have to be made for the loud ass stereo speakers, the back looks... like a phone idk, I don't look at the ass of a phone most of the time, it does feel great in the hand without a case unlike most modern phones imo.

have a good grip and the fingerprint dimple is easy to feel out. Way better phone to hold than the s7 edge at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom