• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw iphone/S7, Axon 7 is where its at (1440p, SD820, 4gb ram, hifi audio, $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a $50 off code for this phone I will be giving away soon. Probably when the darker version gets released. When I give it away I need that person to sign an affidavit that they won't buy the gold version.

I have a Nexus 6P now (had a Galaxy S4 5" screen before) and there's no way I'm going back to a 5" or less screen again. I don't even have the biggest hands and it's fantastic. Love it.

If I had cash to spare, I'd love to get my hands on the Axon 7.

I have the Nexus 6P and my friend just got an Axon 7. I wouldn't even call it an upgrade because what you gain you also lose some. Yes, it has a faster processor but the camera sucks in comparison. The display on the Nexus 6P is also better in term of color calibration. The biggest concern for me is security and software support. I don't think ZTE will deliver on that front, and quite frankly I would not really put my trust on an emerging brand in the flagship space. The Nexus 6P is getting android Nougat in a couple of weeks.

Kthulhu

gpu benchin ma fucka. I am gonna destroy you in BF1 like the A9 destroys the 820. And even if it is close, the a10 will be the tru destroyer.

Yes, my hyperbole was almost a faceless bat signal, intentions were there. Lol.

Haha, I manage an animal hospital my friend.

And then Qualcomm's next SOC will come out and we'll be right back here. Hopefully by than the fanboy phone battle will end.

And then Qualcomm's next SOC will come out and we'll be right back here. Hopefully by than the fanboy phone battle will end.

It should, most phones nowadays are so powerful that even if the benchmarks show certain results, they are super fast in real world use. I would be happy with any new phone that is out right now, compared to my busted ass iphone 6.

Kurdel

Banned
This is all I see when I see these phones.

tumblr_mi19y16WYg1qzquwto1_500.png

Jeffrey

It should, most phones nowadays are so powerful that even if the benchmarks show certain results, they are super fast in real world use. I would be happy with any new phone that is out right now, compared to my busted ass iphone 6.
And it's not like people make AAA graphics games for mobile anymore.

Biggest benefit is emulators which is easier to get on Android.

Noema

By far and wide this is the best value in smartphones; nay, probably the best value in the history of smartphones. This phone is ridiculous.

There are some questions still, mostly regarding software.

How often will it get software updates?

How good will their after sales support be?

Which is kind of a big deal in my opinion.

We also don't know as of yet whether the bootloader will be unlockable. And this is also a big deal since an unlocked bootloader means tons of community support.

neoism

meh i know the ios is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from amazing but i dont care how cool a phone is if it uses ANDROID...�� worst os ever to exisit

Erv

does anyone have the quartz gray color? in some pictures it looks silver but in some it actually looks grey. anyone know how it looks in person?

xk0sm0sx

How is it's actual performance though? Like Xiaomi phone specs may look great on paper, for some reason the actual performance feels sluggish.

Jeffrey

does anyone have the quartz gray color? in some pictures it looks silver but in some it actually looks grey. anyone know how it looks in person?

this reviewer got the chinese model, but I assume the gray will look similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwvpqTG6Jw

How is it's actual performance though? Like Xiaomi phone specs may look great on paper, for some reason the actual performance feels sluggish.

benchmarks have it beating s7 depending on the site. Haven't had any issue performance wise from day to day usage, but I don't really run fancy graphics apps (tried FF mobius and that ran fine with high settings).

"Please enjoy* this phone we've shat out, the the ZTE One Ecks. The succesor to our popular iPhrone 6-.

*Support not included, please buy the next phone"

Support? Why do people keep mentioning support?

I've never needed support for a phone in my life. How lost can you be?

Also, the most powerful phones in the world are made by Chinese manufacturers (with Chinese chipsets). 7 of the top 10 smartphone manufacturers are Chinese.

This is just the new norm folks.

pdog128

Also, the most powerful phones in the world are made by Chinese manufacturers (with Chinese chipsets). 7 of the top 10 smartphone manufacturers are Chinese.

Support as in pushing out new updates, fixing bugs, etc.

rrs

Phone just looks ok, not like swiping design ideas is exclusive to the usual bargin bin phones ZTC, Kyocera, etc get on the US market. $400 for the whole thing seems fair, but I would never spend that much personally on a phone. As for support, I've near instantly voided my warranty on about every smartphone I got to not run VM bloated roms.
meh i know the ios is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from amazing but i dont care how cool a phone is if it uses ANDROID...�� worth os ever to exisit
do you know of the cosmic horrors that were j2me OS based dumbphones

Kthulhu

meh i know the ios is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from amazing but i dont care how cool a phone is if it uses ANDROID...😒 worth os ever to exisit

When was the last time you used Android and on what device? Android may have started out pretty clunky, but these day's it and iOS are neck and neck.

dity

"Comes with Android 6.0*

*updates not included"

Jeffrey

"Comes with Android 6.0*

*updates not included"

its guaranteed Nougat because they are trying to sell a daydream VR headset for this phone. Expect that soon. In the future who knows! Android in a nutshell, which is why unlocked bootloader is important.

ZTE has been pretty crappy with updates in general, but upper management changed and they really want to get into the 'premium' market. who knows!

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm gonna stick with OnePlus. I have 64gb One, and after that I will most likely get one of the future models.

1+3 also looks to be really great, and it is in the same price range as this one from OP.

I'm gonna stick with OnePlus. I have 64gb One, and after that I will most likely get one of the future models.

1+3 also looks to be really great, and it is in the same price range as this one from OP.

For me, I think I'd rather go for the Axon 7 just because of the much better battery life.

neoism

Have you used Android since its early releases? Because it's pretty damn amazing now

yeah i had to set up a cheap android phone a few weeks back plus my nephew has a tablet with it its just a horrible os... just hate it with a passion. i dont love ios either but its just better...

Ryne

Serious contender for my next phone. Already looking at the Axon 7, OP3 and waiting to see how the new Nexus turns out before I make a decision. Only reason I'm not for the new Nexus right now is the two toned back that a lot of mockups have been showing, not a fan of that.

Blablurn

Despite huge efforts from Apple or Samsung Chinese phones are getting more and more popular in China. Many makers sell millions of phones. It's gonna be interesting to see which of those companies will crack foreign markets first. Like big time. Huawei is doing a great job but I think their flagships are still not up with the best from from Korea or USA.

Serious contender for my next phone.

I guess no one read the article I linked, but ZTE got slapped back in March with export restrictions by the U.S. government for illegally reselling U.S. hardware and software to Iran (in violation of sanctions). Considering 80% of their revenue last year was this kind of resales, I question the future of ZTE, at least here in the U.S. So if you want that phone you should probably grab it now.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Despite huge efforts from Apple or Samsung Chinese phones are getting more and more popular in China. Many makers sell millions of phones. It's gonna be interesting to see which of those companies will crack foreign markets first. Like big time. Huawei is doing a great job but I think their flagships are still not up with the best from from Korea or USA.

It's a matter of trust. It took Samsung a long time as a brand to be trusted and they did so by outperforming established rivals consistently at a better price.

What these companies can't do is release great-on-paper phones and then effectively dump them. People have an expectation for post-sale support and these manufacturers will have to match that to gain repeat customers.

I've owned a ZTE phone before and, yeah, if it doesn't work well out of the box it'll likely never work as they dump that product and move onto their next.

Ryne

I guess no one read the article I linked, but ZTE got slapped back in March with export restrictions by the U.S. government for illegally reselling U.S. hardware and software to Iran (in violation of sanctions). Considering 80% of their revenue last year was this kind of resales, I question the future of ZTE, at least here in the U.S. So if you want that phone you should probably grab it now.
Not sure how this would affect Canada, but I'm Canadian so I think I can wait to see how they compare.

ZTE has a bad track record of supporting android development. The previous model has been locked to this very day, while One Plus has made everything unlocked on launch.

While one+ has some of the shittiest customer support ever and their update reliability is suspect too, the OP2 got 6.0 after the Axon Pro. Android development is overrated in this day and age, phones are powerful enough to not require overlocking and undervolting and all that other bullshit you had to do back in the day when your phone had 512mb of RAM and 8gb of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom