• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Nocebo

Raging Spaniard said:
So somebody at work posed a question, if we cannot use adjectives, then how come we can type something like "time machine"? Under that stipulation I should be able to type "fire bear" eventhough I know the game wont allow for that (cause Jackson already explained as such)
err. Time machine and fire truck for instance are single nouns listed in the dictionary. There is no such thing as a fire bear. I'm guessing your co-worker's first language isn't english?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Pretty much, although that is sometimes written as a compound word ("firetruck"). "Sleeping bag" would be an example that is probably in the game, though.
Or "tea bag".

jepense

Raging Spaniard said:
So somebody at work posed a question, if we cannot use adjectives, then how come we can type something like "time machine"? Under that stipulation I should be able to type "fire bear" eventhough I know the game wont allow for that (cause Jackson already explained as such)
First of all, time is not an adjective. Neither is fire of course, but I guess you mean a burning bear by "fire bear". The main difference here is that "time machine" has it's own specific meaning, it's not just any machine with a specified common quality - like a specific color. A burning bear on the other hand is a normal bear that has the quality that it is burning. (Poor bear!)

It still boggles my mind how many people don't own a DS. The way the sales numbers go, I've been expecting a report to come with 0 sales, because everyone already bought one by now.

platypotamus said:
It still boggles my mind how many people don't own a DS. The way the sales numbers go, I've been expecting a report to come with 0 sales, because everyone already bought one by now.
I don't have one :(... 1. I'm a huge Nintendo fan. 2. I study japanese and the DS is a great tool with many games designed for Japanese learners... I'm an idiot...

Edit: Avatar get!... Hmm what's up with photobucket... It fills out the tranparent background all of a sudden??

I mean, it's not even a console wars thing, I'm really pretty neutral in the whole affair, it's just the volume of games on the DS.... so much good stuff.

platypotamus said:
I mean, it's not even a console wars thing, I'm really pretty neutral in the whole affair, it's just the volume of games on the DS.... so much good stuff.
That's the problem for me. I'm more then busy with just owning a Wii, if I owned a DS too I can already see my grades decreasing, goodbye to social life etc. It's games like scribblenauts that's making me evaluate my stance...

jrricky

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
go check your dictionary buddy.:lol

leroidys

Raging Spaniard said:

Raging Spaniard said:
Its a problem because it sets expectations. You instill a rule but then break it when it makes sense wont ring for some people because what makes sense to ME can be completely different from anybody else.

I mean, if you could write "machine" and then "clock" and throw the clock to the machine to turn it into a time machine, then that would make sense because it follows the same process that you would in order to get a bear on fire.

Either way its just a thought and something Ive heard people complain about in the studio (and of course, none of us have played the game, so its all skepticism)

This is not the case. "Time machine" is a compound noun with a single discreet meaning. Both "Time" and "Machine" are nouns. "Fire bear" is also a compound noun, but it has no referential meaning to something that actually exists. Is it a bear on fire? A type of bear shaped fire? A bear with fire magic powers? Your argument is extremely contrived.

first time poster in this thread but been lurking for a while. Have to say this (though been said a thousand times) but this game just jumped out from E3 for me and watching the previews and reading the impressions give me a sense of giddyness. I am so buying this day one when it comes out, this better be a successful game.

Metroid Killer said:
That's the problem for me. I'm more then busy with just owning a Wii, if I owned a DS too I can already see my grades decreasing, goodbye to social life etc. It's games like scribblenauts that's making me evaluate my stance...

See, I barely play my Wii as it is. I play a few pc games. I just didn't see the point in me having a DS if I thought I wasn't going to play it...but games like THIS make me want it.

Vinci

Danish
Mr. Snrub said:
See, I barely play my Wii as it is. I play a few pc games. I just didn't see the point in me having a DS if I thought I wasn't going to play it...but games like THIS make me want it.

The DS is the best gaming system around right now, outside of the PC. Really, you should get it and buy this game.

Also, Jackson: I pre-ordered. And regret nothing. Fantastic job.

Vexidus

SirPenguin said:
Can you imagine a Let's Play/CYOA with this game?

This would be an awesome game to watch people play on Youtube, after you go through it yourself.

Cool new video, this game can't come out soon enough!

Blizzard

Banned
I wish there was a good way to take videos or screen captures of the DS. :( I foresee time-consuming digital camera usage in my future to record amusing screens.

nli10

Haunted said:
Why would a verb be in there? I thought Jackson said only nou- oooh.

You can't click the sticks on a DS :D

Play says 1st Nov for the UK for this and RRP £29.99 (they sell for £24.99).

Blizzard

Banned
nli10 said:
You can't click the sticks on a DS :D

Play says 1st Nov for the UK for this and RRP £29.99 (they sell for £24.99).
I'm hoping we see a release date soon. Amazon just updated the cover art, and it shows up as the first result in the search now, though the release date is still marked at October 1 (placeholder).

I can't believe that there aren't a lot more videos floating around with people just typing random words.
I'm like a crack addict who just got a taste and now you expect me to stop cold turkey until it's released.

Vitet

Veteran + Rocker + Girl + Black Officeman + bunch of weapons

VS

Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie + Zombie
:D

mj1108

Large box art swiped from Amazon:

scribbleboxart.jpg

lopaz

Banned
I think a TV ad should show off people's usual reaction to the idea. Have some kid show his friends the game and be all "hey, this game has EVERYTHING!". "Everything? no way! how about a triceratops?" *bing* "wow, but what about an eriometer?" *bing*

Tagline: Scribblenauts. Yes, it's in the game. Yes, and that. That too.

Vitet

lopaz said:
I think a TV ad should show off people's usual reaction to the idea. Have some kid show his friends the game and be all "hey, this game has EVERYTHING!". "Everything? no way! how about a triceratops?" *bing* "wow, but what about an eriometer?" *bing*

Tagline: Scribblenauts. Yes, it's in the game. Yes, and that. That too.

I think a real-life Scribblenauts would be an awesome ad

Presenting a common real life problem solved by a notepad and a pencil, just writing things that appears and ending with the scribblenauts game box and a background full of dinosaurs, ninjas, and lumberjacks xD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
mj1108 said:
Large box art swiped from Amazon:

scribbleboxart.jpg
Very nice. The only thing I ask is that if WB pressures you to put some Best of E3 logo's on it, or something to that effect, try to make it removable, like a sticker on the shrink wrap, or a cardboard insert.

Also, good job sneaking the 5th cell logo in there.

Jackson

Drkirby said:
Very nice. The only thing I ask is that if WB pressures you to put some Best of E3 logo's on it, or something to that effect, try to make it removable, like a sticker on the shrink wrap, or a cardboard insert.

Also, good job sneaking the 5th cell logo in there.

Ya, we actually made the box art in-house. Edison Yan, our in house art man... Lock's Quest box too (though the playTHQ iris wasn't ours). Hence our logo was both of those box arts. :)

(except the comic sans)

Shiggie

Here is a nice article.
http://www.crispygamer.com/features...dy-game-became-the-talk-of-this-years-e3.aspx
# Freelancer and former 1UP writer Nick Suttner posts on Twitter: "Keyboard Cat is in Scribblenauts. Game of the show, by far. Mind is absolutely blown." The mention of Keyboard Cat, the Internet meme of the moment, would surface as a major selling point later in the week.

# Nintendorks.com posts a video on YouTube of, strangely enough, the very same Nick Suttner playing the game on the show floor. In the video, a Kraken massacres a stegosaurus, a griffin and a jackalope before succumbing to the brutal fighting power of God. The video would eventually find its way onto several blogs and forums, racking up over 100,000 views.

# I pay a visit to the Scribblenauts kiosk, taking my place in a short line. Soon afterward, a tall guy lines up behind me, jostling for position and peering over my shoulder for a look at the game. I'm totally annoyed. Then he introduces himself to the developer running the demos: "Hey! I'm Casey Malone. I'm a designer on Rock Band Beatles. This is the only game our team wants to play!" He's literally jumping up and down and clapping.
That's kinda cool.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Shiggie said:

article said:
The forums at NeoGAF.com, the central nervous system of grassroots gaming buzz, embark on an epic love-in just after midnight, based on early buzz and info about the game. Sample comments: "Ok, game of show, easily." "This game just blows my mind right out of my head every time I hear about it." "The greatest new gaming concept in years." "Game of the Century." Journos at the show, alerted by the NeoGAF buzz, begin making the trek over to the Scribblenauts booth and reporting back to the forums.

:lol AWESOME.

Shiggie

BorkBork said:
:lol AWESOME.
The best part.
# NeoGAF user Feep posts the following first-hand account: "I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out. Best game of E3? Without a f***ing doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that." Feep's post is quoted again and again for several pages. Interest in the game snowballs.

Ashodin

Jackson said:
Ya, we actually made the box art in-house. Edison Yan, our in house art man... Lock's Quest box too (though the playTHQ iris wasn't ours). Hence our logo was both of those box arts. :)

(except the comic sans)
Comic Sans. The foremost promoter for TEH CASUALZ.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
# Nintendorks.com posts a video on YouTube of, strangely enough, the very same Nick Suttner playing the game on the show floor. In the video, a Kraken massacres a stegosaurus, a griffin and a jackalope before succumbing to the brutal fighting power of God. The video would eventually find its way onto several blogs and forums, racking up over 100,000 views.

i wonder what happens when you pit God against Nietzsche?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Number 2 said:
i wonder what happens when you pit God against Nietzsche?

You summon both as they would exist, God has superpowers, Nietzsche is mortal, God wins.

What I'd like to see is God versus Jesus.

Im going to make God ride a big wheel into hell's past and bring the devil back to help in the fight with against Zeus . He will have to, because God is telling him to do so...on a big wheel.

markot

Banned
I bought Locks Quest cause of the hype for this game >_<

Pretty awesome so far, great presentation and a nice tower defence game thingy.

How many sales does it take for a ds game to be profitable >.>? But anyway, pretty great dev, and they seem to... try harder than most on ze ds.

Top Bottom