• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Beta Thread: On my Beard ! Not the Elder ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

So is this game based on an F2P model with in game purchases?

Kinda shitty to charge for it if so.

Edit: just read the last page. Not really into it even though its supposedly not pay to win. Ill wait for a bit

Wok

As a card game, this game makes it even more strategic thanks to a trading card constraint. If you want a card, you can have it with gold earned in-game, you do not have to spend additional money. Only if you want many cards at once will you need to spend money. Therefore, you are not likely to radically change the contents of your current deck, it is easier to make small changes at a time, and progressively refine your strategy.

Blizzard

Banned
Voice chat would be super low on the list of priorities for me. I'd prefer to be able to text chat with an opponent after the game ended, or add them to a friends list, far before I want a random stranger to be able to yell obscenities and racial slurs at me.

Edit: just read the last page. Not really into it even though its supposedly not pay to win. Ill wait for a bit
As you have noticed, the only cards you can buy with money are the 6 single cards you can get per week (and you can only buy one of each during that week). I think it should be very possible to get the same amount of ingame gold to buy those 6 cards during the week if you wanted them all and didn't want to trade for them with other players.

I say this assuming there's no way to buy gold with real money, or buy avatars and trade them for gold/cards.

schwupp

they need to reduce the time for a move ... some people are really taking those 90 seconds.

1 1/2 minutes ... wasted waiting. thats way too much. set it to 20 seconds.

Blizzard

Banned
they need to reduce the time for a move ... some people are really taking those 90 seconds.

1 1/2 minutes ... wasted waiting. thats way too much. set it to 20 seconds.
I think 20 seconds would be way too short considering the amount of time it can take to read some cards you are unfamiliar with, or consider exactly what is happening when you're bad at the game, especially if network server desync happens.

60 seconds might be reasonable.

alstein

Voice chat would be super low on the list of priorities for me. I'd prefer to be able to text chat with an opponent after the game ended, or add them to a friends list, far before I want a random stranger to be able to yell obscenities and racial slurs at me.

You can. Hit enter.

LProtag

Haven't had enough time to play lately so I'm still basically playing a precon deck.

I wonder if I should save up for another precon or just start buying scroll packs.

Totakeke

I like 90 seconds as it is. Board positions and card possibilities can get really complicated. When you play it, 90 seconds isn't that long, really. You can't judge that by watching videos.

Also on the F2P point, there's too few cards at the moment to really be an issue. It'll only stop you if you want use a variety of decks of different types, but if you just focus on building one really good deck it's not that difficult for anyone. You'll just need to grind for a bit. I'm thinking it's also possible to bot the game somehow to just farm the gold you need to buy anything. The trade chat is pretty active.

The highest demand rares are around 1000-1200 gold, and each game you can get 150-300 gold if you win. There's probably only like 3-5 of those right now among all the cards. So it's just really a matter of time because there's not many cards.

Blizzard

Banned
You can. Hit enter.
I tried this after the game once, but I'm not sure if the communication actually works since the other player disconnected. I guess you can chat on the defeat screen? It's more obvious in LoL that chat is enabled in a postgame stat/lobby screen, but maybe Scrolls will add something like that.

Also on the LoL note, I'm too used to 20-40+ minute games for a 15-20 minute Scrolls game to phase me I guess, haha.

Also on the F2P point, there's too few cards at the moment to really be an issue. It'll only stop you if you want use a variety of decks of different types, but if you just focus on building one really good deck it's not that difficult for anyone.
I'm confused by this. Are you suggesting that if you buy shards, you can get a variety of decks of different types? Or are you just suggesting it's difficult for anyone to do that quickly, which I can agree with?

*edit* Just lost a PVP match I was ahead in because my internet dropped out for half a second, apparently the reconnect failed, and it kicked me back to the login screen with an error and didn't seem to be working. =( Is there any way to manually PM a specific person, like a whisper command?

*edit again* Actually, typing on the stat screen after a victory doesn't even show me what I typed, so I don't know if it's working.

Haven't had enough time to play lately so I'm still basically playing a precon deck.

I wonder if I should save up for another precon or just start buying scroll packs.

I think buying packs and random singles is more fun. I put together a functional order deck just by buying randoms and buying a few people's extra commons/uncommons off them.

atrossity

Banned
Just got this on a whim last night.. I can't believe how fun it is.

It normally takes me a few hours to get into addict mode, but I played for four straight hours.

Totakeke

I'm confused by this. Are you suggesting that if you buy shards, you can get a variety of decks of different types? Or are you just suggesting it's difficult for anyone to do that quickly, which I can agree with?

You'll still need have gold even with shards. And with that gold alone, you could already buy the cards from the trade channel. There's no need to buy shards unless you're in a hurry or lazy.

Blizzard

Banned
You'll still need have gold even with shards. And with that gold alone, you could already buy the cards from the trade channel. There's no need to buy shards unless you're in a hurry or lazy.
That's what I was trying to point out, shards can literally only help you get 6 cards per week unless I'm missing something, most of which you won't want. As far as I can tell, that barely accelerates the process of collecting cards you actually do want.

Totakeke

Uhh, I'm saying people shouldn't be concerned about paying to win, but if you do want a variety of decks of all types, then buying the precons and using the six cards definitely speeds up getting the cards you need. It's harder to do by just grinding if you essentially want everything fast.

Edit: You can also buy another account which comes with a precon of your choice and 2000G.

Blizzard

Banned
Uhh, I'm saying people shouldn't be concerned about paying to win, but if you do want a variety of decks of all types, then buying the precons and using the six cards definitely speeds up getting the cards you need. It's harder to do by just grinding if you essentially want everything fast.
Oh if you mean buying the other premade starter decks so you have 1 deck of each type then yes. Though the double account thing is probably a much more feasible option, haha.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've not actually bought any shards so I don't actually know for sure, that's just how these pay models usually work.

Blizzard

Banned
Trade people have continued to be pretty nice when I buy cards with gold. I also continued to be lucky. I bought two 175 energy cards and one 100 random...and they turned to be 3 energy cards I didn't have, including my first thunder surge. :D

ZZMitch

Bought the game! I ended up choosing Energy last minute after watching a few of Quill18s Scroll videos on youtube. I like the way it plays, and can always save up for Order if I want to change it up a bit.

Super excited to start playing!

ZZMitch

Seems like this thread died quickly!

My energy deck is going well. Just got my first Potion of Resistance. I am disappointed that it doesn't work with Cannon Automatons ability though. At least from what I have read.

Wok

Seems like this thread died quickly!

My energy deck is going well. Just got my first Potion of Resistance. I am disappointed that it doesn't work with Cannon Automatons ability though. At least from what I have read.

I still play every day. See my profile.

RrKqa0y.png

My Order deck is getting better and better.

Morokh

E3 and Gaf down surely did not help :p

Played a few matches today again ... all I'll say is that it's not my day ... xD

It looks like you can pull up your profile by putting your Scrolls username at the end of http://www.scrollsguide.com/ranking/player/

I've been playing off and on, slowly getting the cards I want. From what I've heard, they're working on the Decay stuff and hope to get it out asap before getting around to adding more cards for each faction. Hopefully sooner than later.

There was also this post on their forums about adding new stuff including replays, which is groovy. I posted here a few days ago about wanting that.

Aselith

It's still pay2win even if they don't lock the cards behind a paywall since paying real money will help you get the better cards faster and thus more likely to win. F2P without the free. DOA.

It's still pay2win even if they don't lock the cards behind a paywall since paying real money will help you get the better cards faster and thus more likely to win. F2P without the free. DOA.
Unless they change things, paying money right now is a really bad idea. There are 6 randomly selected cards(2 common, 2 uncommon, 2 rare) available to buy that change once a week, and you can buy either of the Precon decks you didn't pick at the start, once each.

Unless you really want a different Preconstructed Deck(and precon decks aren't very good without some changes), putting money into Scrolls doesn't get you anything good, at least for now. Getting good cards by playing/trading/buying random packs with gold is a lot faster/better than waiting a week on the chance a card you want goes up for sale for real money.

It may get harder to compete once they add more cards, but right now it's really not that much of an issue. You can get whole decks in a matter of hours.

Bought the game a few days ago and I am already close to being maxed out on growth and order cards. Unranked matches are not that hard to win with weaker decks and you get 2-4 cards out of most of these. There must be about 200 cards right now and you can even sell the cards you don't need or trade with other players. Do the math yourself.

The grind is already getting to me.

Went up against a pretty neat Order/Growth deck which makes me want to pick up a second pre-con. Tempted to just buy some shards and buy the other two pre-cons to mess around with.

Speaking of the Order/Growth deck I played, can you get decked in this game? He drew a hell of a lot of cards that game and it was starting to look like my most appealing win condition.

garath

6 random cards a week to buy is hardly pay to win.

ZZMitch

The grind is already getting to me.

Went up against a pretty neat Order/Growth deck which makes me want to pick up a second pre-con. Tempted to just buy some shards and buy the other two pre-cons to mess around with.

Speaking of the Order/Growth deck I played, can you get decked in this game? He drew a hell of a lot of cards that game and it was starting to look like my most appealing win condition.

I believe no. Pretty sure it just goes back through or something. One of my trial games went really long and I remember pulling up a scroll I only had one of twice in that game.

Yep, there isn't a discard pile or anything. Everything that isn't in play goes back into the deck. I'm not sure exactly how it works, whether it shuffles back into your current deck or if once you go through all your cards it starts over with a fresh deck or uses some other formula. I'm leaning towards the second based on what I've played. With the sac to draw 2 cards mechanic it's fairly easy to get through an entire deck.

Boken

Banned
The business decision really confounds me. Why ask people to pay full price and ALSO sell some power?

I'm not saying they are.... but if this were Microsoft, people would consider it money hungry. Seems like hes just taking advantage of some of his fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom