• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: Official Review Thread

Leocarian

Banned
Yes, it's not actual gameplay content, but DLC stands for anything you download, even if it's microtransaction. You've even said they haven't announced any content, and if you look at who I replied to, they're disappointed with the current content in the game.

Why don't you go convince that user that there's plenty of content and that the $60 is justified. I just linked a news article about Sea of Thieves. You guys are more focused on me than you are about the actual game, and it just makes this thread (that you started) worse.

I actually never said I justify that this game is worth $60, maybe you should be more careful what I've said in my review or what I have said to other people. Yeah and you're more focused on hating this game and calling it the worst thing ever no matter if some people actually like the game or not in every single SoT thread you go to so good game.

Yeah, I know what DLC stands for buddy.

Last edited:

demigod

Yes and....your point? It's not actual gameplay content...

Wanna know what game has Dlc? Ever heard of Overwatch? Dunno very popular was with bare bones content at launch and $60 for console versions and received major praise despite taking forever to release heroes and maps that were free and everything else was paid dlc or gain in game currency. I heard its still alive and kicking and very successful dunno just a rumor.

I am starting to think you have no clue how big are the budgets are these days to develop and support games and how you expect developers to keep creating any kind of content at free of charge.

You seriously compared Overwatch with SoT? Why don’t you do a full blown comparison so we know which has more content pvp wise. How many different classes each game has?

I find it funny you gave the game a 7.5 while praising it to no end in this thread. The review sure doesn’t reflect that you’re having “fun”.

Last edited:

scydrex

Well i brought this game also have NMS from launched both had the same problem. Charging $60 at launch was too much for both games but this game is worse than NMS, it have less content. This should have been $15 as it is.

Alx

Is it me or is there no SoT OT ? It's sad that people won't even discuss the game itself, there's so much to tell.

Leocarian

Banned
You seriously compared Overwatch with SoT? Why don’t you do a full blown comparison so we know which has more content pvp wise. How many different classes each game has?

I find it funny you gave the game a 7.5 while praising it to no end in this thread. The review sure doesn’t reflect that you’re having “fun”.

I find it funny how I never said the game is worth $60 and I by no means praising it. But hey believe what you want or read how you want. And no I did not compare SoT to Overwatch. I was giving an example how there are plenty of games with Dlc goofball.

Welp, my 2 week trial is over and I won't be resubbing. I'll give SoT another look later in the year when it's on sale.

Next time, pay more attention to the concerns of your testers, Rare.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

It's really not wrong at all though, there's no way to tell how a food tastes until it touches your own mouth. If you watch a gameplay demo of something like Ryse: Son of Rome for more than 5 minutes and can't come to the conclusion that it's a poor hack 'n slash with a 2 button combo system with the same kill animations repeated constantly, and whether or not that'll be something you will or won't find interesting that's on you.

The food analogy you're praising isn't nearly as clever as you think it is.

Like God of War then. And Arkham. Or Mario...

FYI if you'd played Ryse you'd know that it's far from mashing 2 buttons and the death animations become more elaborate the more you level up. Clearly something you didn't know because all you did was watch a YouTube video for 5 minutes without playing it yourself.

-MD-

FYI if you'd played Ryse you'd know that it's far from mashing 2 buttons and the death animations become more elaborate the more you level up. Clearly something you didn't know because all you did was watch a YouTube video for 5 minutes without playing it yourself.

Lmao! I (unfortunately) played through more than half of Ryse's pathetic 7 hour campaign, the game never changed, it was the same blue animation for X or yellow animation for Y over and over and over and over, you don't need to lie to me and yourself.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Opencritic has stabilized onto 66%. I think it's over, the game is DOA. If it were not a MS exclusive no one would talk about it, it would have been another Agents of Mayhem (67%).

demigod

I find it funny how I never said the game is worth $60 and I by no means praising it. But hey believe what you want or read how you want. And no I did not compare SoT to Overwatch. I was giving an example how there are plenty of games with Dlc goofball.

You sure did compare it to Overwatch, both games are $60 goofball. Guess you can’t back your shit up. Next time don’t make things up, goofball.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I literally just logged in to play by myself and then said "what am I doing?" and logged off. It's simply not fun for me at this point. VERY GLAD I only bought a ten dollar game pass for this so thanks MS for saving me $60. Will not be returning unless HUGE content drops are in place later in the year. I have my doubts though. So sad. I had some high hopes for this one. Oh well.

TaroYamada

I too logged in alone last night and then bailed when my crew wasn't available. Unfortunately it's just not fun to play alone, I still play with my crew but I wager I'll be done with it in a month or so.

EBE

So I've had the game for about a week now and yeah, there really is NOTHING to do. I've leveled myself up to 20 with all three factions (solo mostly) and after buying the jacket and hat combo I wanted I'm wondering what the hell am I doing? I sail around looking for anyone to interact with, ANYTHING to do. And the griefing is just out of hand. No one plays together no one works together and for what? There's nothing to this game to keep one going past the 10 hour mark. The honeymoon period is sweet but the drop after that is HARD

Last edited:

-MD-

So I've had the game for about a week now and yeah, there really is NOTHING to do. I've leveled myself up to 20 with all three factions (solo mostly) and after buying the jacket and hat combo I wanted I'm wondering what the hell am I doing? I sail around looking for anyone to interact with, ANYTHING to do. And the griefing is just out of hand. No one plays together no one works together and for what? There's nothing to this game to keep one going past the 10 hour mark. The honeymoon period is sweet but the drop after that is HARD

Yep, i had some mild fun for about a week and completely lost interest.

Grinchy

Banned
You mean you don't want to grind those bars up to 50 and then open up the new content where you grind a new bar up to an arbitrary number while killing the same skeletons and finding the same chickens? What's wrong with you!?

Yeah, I was enjoying this game for like 4 or 5 days and then I came to the realization that there just isn't a game here yet. I like watching people on Twitch get into crazy naval battles, but everything else about the game is a horrible chore.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah think I’m done as well, as a huge fan of destiny 1/2 I usually dig repeative stuff but this is just out of hand. Haven’t been this disappointed in a game since the last mass effect game.

cucuchu

Yeah think I’m done as well, as a huge fan of destiny 1/2 I usually dig repeative stuff but this is just out of hand. Haven’t been this disappointed in a game since the last mass effect game.

Completely agree. I lost interest after the first week and realized that I had put in 4 hours of game time one night and even though my group and I were having fun hanging out, I don't feel like we were actually working towards or doing anything. Everything is too shallow and its not just a lack of content but its the shallow systems underneath that content. Its just too simple and maybe not meant for adults, I don't know, I feel that puts down adults that enjoy the game and if they do, I'm happy for them...but its maddening how simple this game is and how much time you waste doing anything. With so many other good games out there, I cannot justify playing SoT anymore.

There comes a point when playing a game that if you are actively feeling like you are wasting your time, you should just stop playing. I know all games are a waste of time but this game makes me actually sense that. Very disappointing because I was so hyped for this but now I just can't even bring myself to play. Luckily almost all of my friends that were playing have moved on so I don't feel bad about not joining their groups.

AgentP

Compare this to MHW. I stopped playing MHW to completely finish FC5 and when I return to MFW there is a new event and tons to do. I've put 150 hour into MHW and still want to play. This is the difference between content and the facade of a game. Shame on MS for releasing it before it was complete.

WaterAstro

I actually never said I justify that this game is worth $60, maybe you should be more careful what I've said in my review or what I have said to other people. Yeah and you're more focused on hating this game and calling it the worst thing ever no matter if some people actually like the game or not in every single SoT thread you go to so good game.

Yeah, I know what DLC stands for buddy.
You clearly don't know what DLC means when you first challenged me about microtransactions.

You never said you justified that the game is worth $60, well I never said that you did. I said you should because you're obviously going to defend this sinking ship. I'm focused on making sure people don't get ripped off by reading your review and thinking it has "potential", because the idea of reviewing a game based on potential is absurd. It's also hilarious that you chose to make a "real, official review thread", and you only posted four while the other three are mine. Scared that more reviews are shredding this game apart?

There are bodiless Krakens though lol.
meh, i never felt that was as big a deal as some people made it out to be. a lot of games/developers do 'tricks' like that.
take a look at fallout 3's train, or a recent example would be Destiny 2's sea creature

The kraken encounters functioned as they were supposed to so it's hard for me to knock them for not having a giant body underwater that you wouldn't be able to see anyway due to the blackened water.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
There are bodiless Krakens though lol.
The Kraken attack addition fits perfectly into the game. My first Kraken attack was when my crew and I had run off with the treasure storehouse skeleton key. If we lost the key we would never be able to open the door to our loot waiting for us. So we were stressed out and shouting to each other as it sucked one of us in and threw my crewmate into the water and wrapped our ship in its tentacles, etc. It was great fun, I thought. Also, the tentacles looks great just like everything else in this visually stunning game.

Who cares if they didn't render any geometry of the creature under the water and "hid" this by making the water grow inky before attack? As Revolutionary said, this type of developer trick is done all the time in videogames. If it's done well, it works and it absolutely works in SoT.

WaterAstro, bro, dude, man, you need to move on with your life.

Alx

I still haven't seen the kraken in game. I suppose he's kind enough to avoid solo sloops. :p

Leocarian

Banned
I still haven't seen the kraken in game. I suppose he's kind enough to avoid solo sloops. :p

Kraken appears only for Galleons and the reason why there is no Kraken body is for optimization purposes. If people knew how game development worked/optimization they would not be complaining but hey.

AgentP

Kraken appears only for Galleons and the reason why there is no Kraken body is for optimization purposes. If people knew how game development worked/optimization they would not be complaining but hey.

That must explain all the half titan bodies in God of War games on consoles with < 512MB of RAM. The more likely answer is they didn't bother to finish it, like the rest of the game.

MilkyJoe

Lmao! I (unfortunately) played through more than half of Ryse's pathetic 7 hour campaign, the game never changed, it was the same blue animation for X or yellow animation for Y over and over and over and over, you don't need to lie to me and yourself.

You know you use those for building up health, focus etc, so you can use special moves etc? And you don't have to use them at all? You should read the instructions if you played it at all.

Alx

That must explain all the half titan bodies in God of War games on consoles with < 512MB of RAM. The more likely answer is they didn't bother to finish it, like the rest of the game.

It's not about "not bothering". Why would they model stuff that you're not supposed to see ? In other games they don't model the inside of buildings that you can't enter, or stuff on mountains where you can't go. Some bug or "noclip" feature will let you see that everything in a game is façade and empty shells, but that's how it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

Codes 208

meh, i never felt that was as big a deal as some people made it out to be. a lot of games/developers do 'tricks' like that.
take a look at fallout 3's train, or a recent example would be Destiny 2's sea creature

The kraken encounters functioned as they were supposed to so it's hard for me to knock them for not having a giant body underwater that you wouldn't be able to see anyway due to the blackened water.
Another example I know of is in the dbz tenkaichis/raging blast games whenever Cell transforms, he absorbs one of the androids. they do a little camera trickery as cell's tail goes off-screen and a second model of cell's tail comes down to absorb the android.
It's not about "not bothering". Why would they model stuff that you're not supposed to see ? In other games they don't model the inside of buildings that you can't enter, or stuff on mountains where you can't go. Some bug or "noclip" feature will let you see that everything in a game is façade and empty shells, but that's how it's supposed to be.
That was actually an interesting part of supwr jumping in halo 2 to get out of bounds. Zanazibar for example has a ton of missing work on the buildings youre not supposed to reach

EBE

I will say there is some fun to be had outrunning a galleon for so long that whatever timer controls the kraken encounter finally kicks in and suddenly they're on the receiving end of an ass whooping.

But no really fuck this game. Four shanties and two instruments? Not even a jug or harmonica?

demigod

I see people complaining now about the game. Did you guys miss the beta game/thread or did y’all fall for the fanboys in that thread overhyping the game?

EBE

I don't have time to follow every game prelease and I'm sure lots of other folks didn't either, to say nothing of those who went on a media blackout.

I wanted to like the game, I had hoped it would be worth it, but at this point I just don't think it is.

I'm gonna remain real critical of Rare and whatever content roadmap they bring out.

Cato

Banned
I'm gonna remain real critical of Rare and whatever content roadmap they bring out.

I don't think you need to be critical. The game was not received well and if the GAAS money does not keep trickling in every month I fear MS will pull the plug.

Games amazing (but don’t listen to me, I platinumed NMS), I’ve sunk way too many hours into it. And I know it’s empty, and it’s a grind. It has to be the best social space I’ve interacted with though. I have made so many new online buddies and many laughs have been had. It’s not even out a month and people think it’s dead already? Seriously? I can’t wait to see the game evolve.

Games aren’t reviewed on what it could be, but what it is at launch. I agree with the 5-7s this game has received but I do have faith in Rare being able to provide content that will radically change it up. Look what an indie company did with NMS. Microsoft want this to take off.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned

Destiny 2’s sea creature on Titan is an Easter egg. There is no gameplay encounter based on it. Most players never even saw it outside of a YouTube video. Your post is completely disingenuous.

Looks like this game has had its player base fall off a cliff. Pretty impressive drop off for what is essentially a free to play game. Didn’t even last a month.

Last edited:
Destiny 2’s sea creature on Titan is an Easter egg. There is no gameplay encounter based on it. Most players never even saw it outside of a YouTube video. Your post is completely disingenuous.
So you're going to completely ignore the first example in the same post you quoted? The one with a gameplay encounter based on it? Interesting. Who is being "completely disingenous" now? lol
Regardless, I was talking about visual tricks that developers employ and those two examples were the first to pop in my head. Whether or not it has a gameplay encounter based on it was irrelevant.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

They do 'tricks' like that because they didn't have time to properly do the real thing. Unfortunately for them, the blackened water part didn't work for the times people were able to take screenshots, and now the Kraken is literally a meme that will keep shaming Rare. The Kraken is one of the few things in the game to "encounter", so why didn't they put in some more effort?
The Kraken attack addition fits perfectly into the game. My first Kraken attack was when my crew and I had run off with the treasure storehouse skeleton key. If we lost the key we would never be able to open the door to our loot waiting for us. So we were stressed out and shouting to each other as it sucked one of us in and threw my crewmate into the water and wrapped our ship in its tentacles, etc. It was great fun, I thought. Also, the tentacles looks great just like everything else in this visually stunning game.

Who cares if they didn't render any geometry of the creature under the water and "hid" this by making the water grow inky before attack? As Revolutionary said, this type of developer trick is done all the time in videogames. If it's done well, it works and it absolutely works in SoT.

WaterAstro, bro, dude, man, you need to move on with your life.
No, the game doesn't look that good dude. People just criticize the hell out of how ugly the characters look to the point that it's comedic and hilarious how bad it is. The fact that they couldn't even design a proper kraken just shows how little effort they put into the game. They only have a few skellie enemies that are literally reskinned, and all of the islands look the same. If they really spend two years just on the waves, that's poor priority. There's barely any sea life in the ocean that, really, who cares about the waves.

Although this Kraken isn't going to be graphically amazing because it's an MMO, it shows how a Kraken should be like, and this Kraken is actually a world boss that you kill with ships.

cucuchu

Games amazing (but don’t listen to me, I platinumed NMS), I’ve sunk way too many hours into it. And I know it’s empty, and it’s a grind. It has to be the best social space I’ve interacted with though. I have made so many new online buddies and many laughs have been had. It’s not even out a month and people think it’s dead already? Seriously? I can’t wait to see the game evolve.

Games aren’t reviewed on what it could be, but what it is at launch. I agree with the 5-7s this game has received but I do have faith in Rare being able to provide content that will radically change it up. Look what an indie company did with NMS. Microsoft want this to take off.

Its not dead but its certainly not taking off like MS had hopes it would. I hate using Twitch to judge a game's success but according to the developers, this is a game for streamers, so I think its a fair metric to use and one they are likely paying attention to.

Twitch viewers over the last 30 days....

f5ac1096-d7b9-49ec-91c6-dd2883249833_chart.png

Its not looking good at all for SoT.

I don't think it will die though and MS will likely keep it around. It will just remain a game with a small but dedicated community, much like NMS now.

VAL0R

Banned
They do 'tricks' like that because they didn't have time to properly do the real thing. Unfortunately for them, the blackened water part didn't work for the times people were able to take screenshots, and now the Kraken is literally a meme that will keep shaming Rare. The Kraken is one of the few things in the game to "encounter", so why didn't they put in some more effort?

No, the game doesn't look that good dude. People just criticize the hell out of how ugly the characters look to the point that it's comedic and hilarious how bad it is. The fact that they couldn't even design a proper kraken just shows how little effort they put into the game. They only have a few skellie enemies that are literally reskinned, and all of the islands look the same. If they really spend two years just on the waves, that's poor priority. There's barely any sea life in the ocean that, really, who cares about the waves.

Although this Kraken isn't going to be graphically amazing because it's an MMO, it shows how a Kraken should be like, and this Kraken is actually a world boss that you kill with ships.

LOL, this clip looks like an ugly unfinished indie game with all sorts of graphical glitches and bad animation. The SoT Kraken encounter is vastly better in nearly every way, but whatever, it's pointless to argue with you on this score. I guess you can see the body in your clip, so you win?

Last edited:
Top Bottom