• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves (XB1/PC) Gameplay Reveal - Xbox E3 2016

No main story? That's a bummer but I guess they want people to play and explore like in a sandbox mmo. I'm curious what their plan is to keep people playjng.

It worries me that the are not releasing an early public beta like Halo or Gears. I think MS it's afraid that the impression of people may be that the game lacks of purpose or things to do given that there is no campaign out some kind of direction from what I've listen to the interviews.

It worries me that the are not releasing an early public beta like Halo or Gears. I think MS it's afraid that the impression of people may be that the game lacks of purpose or things to do given that there is no campaign out some kind of direction from what I've listen to the interviews.

Rare said at E3 they are planning to get a public beta out there.

Kssio_Aug

The content they've shown seems incredibly good! But I need to see some ground gameplay, with hand to hand combat, NPC enemies and stuuff like these!

Peterpan

They need a storyline and npc, or else the world will just feel empty, unless they have a lot of people playing the game and that is not always guaranteed and the fact that it's not a mmo and a shared world instead, this is a must. They need npc ships as well, that aren't just pirate ships, just normal sailing ships with citizens and maybe soldiers, we can take hostage or whatever. Half the fun of being a pirate is raiding normal ship, can't raid pirate ships the whole game. Also legendary pirates like black beard have to be in the game and random ghost ships, or maybe even the ability to turn your ship and its members into ghosts. The storyline will give the world life, it doesn't have to be important, it can be like elder scrolls. My 2 cents.

No main story? That's a bummer but I guess they want people to play and explore like in a sandbox mmo. I'm curious what there plan is to keep people playjng.
People are still playing Rust which doesn't have a story that I know of. With games like Rust, Dayz and ARK the stories are created by the players using the tools given to them in the sandbox.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I figured that there wouldn't be an overarching story, which is smart. It's hard to make a dedicated story when there are hundreds of others just like you. Now Rare can set up quests that create emergent gameplay between pirates and crews (and hopefully) NPCs. This game is more about playing in the life of a pirate, not about being the best pirate or the one who finds the legendary, long lost treasure. Instead, that stuff can happen naturally, and perhaps players might get famous/infamous based on what they do and the fact that it wasn't a guided storyline.

With that said, all of this hinges on the fact that it can't be split up like Destiny and the world has to feel alive. I can see no directed and specific story, but no or even few NPCs would be a mistake.

I'm OK with no main story, couldn't tell you more than a couple of bullet points about the campaign in Destiny and I've played all of the missions dozens of times.

I'd love to simply have the freedom to roam around swashing and buckling to my hearts content. Every now and then Rare adds a quest, you hear rumours of a great treasure while you and your crew are chugging grog in a tavern and everyone sets off on a mad dash trying to find the treasure before the other players.

Watching a Gamespot interview witb Rare about the game and they say from now until release they will be much more open, there will be a beta etc. Player experience is incredibly important to them. So let them know how much we we want to see NPCs doing their thing on the island, it's all for the extra immersion and atmosphere and it will undoubtedly feel a bit empty and odd without them.

Kind of sounds like they don't have things planned like...talking to people and maybe them giving you quests. I hope they change things. No main story is not exactly a deal breaker for me but i do find it a bit unfortunete.

The developer during the Gamespot interview said there is no release window or timeframe yet. Just that they will be much more open to the community from now onwards. Who said it was February 2017?

Alexious

The developer during the Gamespot interview said there is no release window or timeframe yet. Just that they will be much more open to the community from now onwards. Who said it was February 2017?

Aaron Greenberg said it was around the window of Halo Wars 2.

Aaron Greenberg said it was around the window of Halo Wars 2.

That would be really cool, but i hope they get the time they need to make this awesome. Good thing is that this game is the kind of game that will be regularly updated with stuff i'm sure.

I for one wouldn't mind getting this on Scorpio and have it look exactly like the PC footage.

SOR5

That would be really cool, but i hope they get the time they need to make this awesome. Good thing is that this game is the kind of game that will be regularly updated with stuff i'm sure.

I for one wouldn't mind getting this on Scorpio and have it look exactly like the PC footage.

I hope a beta gives it the magic hype boost that will inevitably die down after E3 dies down, the same thing happened with The Division

_Clash_

With all the talk about a player driven experience etc,

It does make me wonder if there's some way they could make in game vendors be real life players.Surely someone just wants to own a blacksmith or run the tavern.Too hard basket probably.

Alexious

Yeah, they've been making it for a year and a half so Q2 2017 would still be under three years of development. I wouldn't mind if they took a little more time.

Peterpan

No black beard. Hopefully ghost ships. Come on Rare make my dreams come true, let me and my friends command a ghost ship.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPT59YS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is this the box art? Good God it looks gorgeous.

Also from looking at the Amazon page a few days ago I seem to recall a placeholder date for sometime in March but now it's December.

If SoT does not release in the fall (which I don't anticipate it will) hopefully we get a beta.
That's the logo Rare has been showing off for some time now so I would assume/hope that is the final boxart. Just like the game... Gorgeous

Simo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPT59YS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is this the box art? Good God it looks gorgeous.

Also from looking at the Amazon page a few days ago I seem to recall a placeholder date for sometime in March but now it's December.

If SoT does not release in the fall (which I don't anticipate it will) hopefully we get a beta.

Beautiful artwork. I hope it stays like that but I'm also hoping for a CE too. Amazon usually goes a placeholder for the end of the year so they likely changed it from the old March one to December because of that. It's just standard practice.

OT sort of question but now I obviously need to buy a Xbox One for Sea of Thieves, so out of curiosity from you guys that own one: is it worth getting a Xbox One now since they seem to be going on sale? Do I just wait and get the slim, I mean is the controller that much better over the OG One issued?

No main story? That's a bummer but I guess they want people to play and explore like in a sandbox mmo. I'm curious what there plan is to keep people playjng.

We have heard things like its a Shared World experience similar to Destiny.

However the more and more I read on Sea of Thieves this sounds like its a Survival type game. Similar to Rust, Ark, and DayZ. Rare has mentioned these games this week(the whole, you dont know if players intentions are good or bad), and Minecraft. It however does have quests like searching for treasure, and hunting mythical creatures. So in that aspect it would be like Destiny or Division, but the game is definitely setup for a social experience. They however said if you want to solo it, they are focused on that as well. One man ships as an example, and they have some kind of progression system.

Seeing how Im a big fan of Ark Im excited about that. These type of games can be very addicting, and gets people talking. Rare has been talking a lot about griefing this week, so I will be interested to see how they try and improve the community on that front, because they seem to want it to be more friendly than other communities.

JackHerer

The content they've shown seems incredibly good! But I need to see some ground gameplay, with hand to hand combat, NPC enemies and stuuff like these!

This. I'm interested but need to see more. The ship to ship stuff looks promising with the assumption that will be highly customizable and sufficiently deep but that's not enough to hook me.

Need to see more on land gameplay, dungeons, raids, etc.

Raven77

I will never, ever understand the negative reactions on GAF to the coop gameplay trailer shown during the MS E3 press conference. Everyone was replying with "OMG the players, so annoying" "So fake!".

It was literally real people, real gamers, just playing the game how REAL people / friends will play together. It was probably the most genuine coop gameplay i've ever seen during a press conference. 10x more realistic (because, well, it WAS real) than the fake actors we usually get.

That trailer sold me on the game. Looks incredibly fun to play with a few friends.

I will never, ever understand the negative reactions on GAF to the coop gameplay trailer shown during the MS E3 press conference. Everyone was replying with "OMG the players, so annoying" "So fake!".

It was literally real people, real gamers, just playing the game how REAL people / friends will play together. It was probably the most genuine coop gameplay i've ever seen during a press conference. 10x more realistic (because, well, it WAS real) than the fake actors we usually get.

That trailer sold me on the game. Looks incredibly fun to play with a few friends.

Let's be real.

The people saying negative things about the trailers probably don't have many friends and don't play a lot of coop.

Gaf usually has a very negative sentiment to any game with online and social interaction.

Gee I wonder why

I have to agree with this. I never thought it felt staged and it was the highlight of the show for me.

bjork

I generally play games as an escape from people, so I'm not big on people screaming and whatnot, if that's a good representation of what it's like. But if I can play without needing to hear others, I think the rest of it looks really cool.

_Clash_

Reckon E3 has given this project a lot of confidence.

It's been received great, and I'm hoping it gives Rare some real hunger to make it the best it can be.

In gaf, people = fake

Let's be real.

The people saying negative things about the trailers probably don't have many friends and don't play a lot of coop.

Gaf usually has a very negative sentiment to any game with online and social interaction.

Gee I wonder why

:D Considering I play 95% of my (console) games online with friends, I'm always confused by the fear directed at such experiences on here.

BRING IT.

I generally play games as an escape from people, so I'm not big on people screaming and whatnot, if that's a good representation of what it's like. But if I can play without needing to hear others, I think the rest of it looks really cool.
Here's genuine reactions (not saying the trailer aren't) to crew vs crew pirate ship battles: https://youtu.be/bl41EgMG1vA

I guess playing this game like No Man's Sky would be fun but I'm not sure a one man ship could stand a chance against a crew doing multiple roles.

Proximity chat would make things halarious and make the game shine. Running into random pirates doing a funny role play or joining random crews.

Simo

The funny thing is that there are a few off screen videos on Gamersdye where the reactions from people playing with other strangers and friends is the same as the MS conference trailer. lol

Like no matter whoever picks up the controller to play they're having a blast playing it and E3 is just a slice of the full thing. It's why I'm so excited for it!

gamz

And that was backed up by literally everyone that played it at E3. It's been a while I've seen a game that makes people so damn giddy.

Good read!

How emotional psychology and The Goonies inspired Sea of Thieves

Even though multiplayer games are incredibly popular, forums tend to be singleplayer oriented. Its one of those things that shows forums dont really speak for the mass market.

Top Bottom