• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves (XB1/PC) Gameplay Reveal - Xbox E3 2016

The funny thing is that there are a few off screen videos on Gamersdye where the reactions from people playing with other strangers and friends is the same as the MS conference trailer. lol

Like no matter whoever picks up the controller to play they're having a blast playing it and E3 is just a slice of the full thing. It's why I'm so excited for it!

This is 100% correct.. It was so fun to play. It was my friend & I plus two strangers and we all got on our ship and started doing stuff.. we accidentally left one person behind so we tried to loop around to pick him up.. but then we were set upon by another dastardly team of pirates and so we tried evasive movements and firing cannons and.. well, we sank.

But it was awesome all the same and I did NOT want the demo to end.

For the rest of the show all my friend and I could think about was Sea of Thieves.. (and all the free shirts we got!)

Jumeira

Banned
Even though multiplayer games are incredibly popular, forums tend to be singleplayer oriented. Its one of those things that shows forums dont really speak for the mass market.

I put it down to insecure gamers that try to feel superior by giving the impression they can not only detect artificial imagery but repel PR messages by trying to point it out, on a system they see unfavourably. Turns out it was real thanks to people who were part of the play-test posting here (why wouldnt it be?). Their desperation is whats truly embarrassing, fell flat on their face by trying to push a story that it was all for the cameras.

brawly

I will never, ever understand the negative reactions on GAF to the coop gameplay trailer shown during the MS E3 press conference. Everyone was replying with "OMG the players, so annoying" "So fake!".

It was literally real people, real gamers, just playing the game how REAL people / friends will play together. It was probably the most genuine coop gameplay i've ever seen during a press conference. 10x more realistic (because, well, it WAS real) than the fake actors we usually get.

That trailer sold me on the game. Looks incredibly fun to play with a few friends.

I prefer it to the way of Ubisoft, where players are acting as if they are literally in that world.

I just thought it was a weak demo. I just don't see maintaining a ship and fighting two other groups as fun in the long run. Supposedly there's more stuff but until we see that that's the impression I have.

SOR5

Rare’s Sea of Thieves Will Have “Meaningful Progression” and a North Star to Sail By

Rare’s Sea of Thieves had a strong presence at E3, and Lead Designer Mike Chapman gave a few more pieces of information during Twitch’s live coverage.

Chapman mentioned that some people want to be explorers, others want to do quests and want to go on epic adventurers, some want to deck out their ship, customize their characters, have cool sails and cool upgrades. To that end, the team is going to build “meaningful progression around what those motivations are.” According to Chapman, “if you want to do specific things, there will be things you can do to progress in those areas.”

On top of that, we hear that to get a ship going, you have to lift the anchor. More people pushing the anchor lets you raise it faster. Then you need to unfurl the sail by pulling the ropes.

last, but definitely not least, the coolest detail of them all: if you look at the sky in the game, there actually is a north star, and you can sail by it.

Sea of Thieves‘s next step towards release on PC and Xbox One will be a beta, even if we still don’t know when that will happen.

last, but definitely not least, the coolest detail of them all: if you look at the sky in the game, there actually is a north star, and you can sail by it.

Oh man, I really hope there isn't a GPS style map like every other game. Gimme a static map, a compass and a clear night sky with which to navigate.

I need to be able to get totally lost at sea for an hour or two.

SOR5

Oh man, I really hope there isn't a GPS style map like every other game. Gimme a static map, a compass and a clear night sky with which to navigate.

I need to be able to get totally lost at sea for an hour or two.

Oh man yes, its compelling that the more UI crap and hand holding you strip away how much greater a game can become.

wKwACZB.jpg

Something just like this would be great

Salty Hippo

I absolutely adore the cinematic trailer, probably watched it about 30 times. The music is so cool, Beano doing work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3UiHp0sz0

It's all captured in-engine with real assets btw.

Extended lyrics:

Cloaked in folds of midnight waters
Side by side, we sons and daughters
We set forth for no king’s orders
But we’ll sail together

Hold fast! Tides are turning
Flames roar! Fires are burning!
We’ll all be returning
If we sail together

All on the wave shall know our story
Sing of the battles fought ashore, we
All shall thrive on fame and glory
When we sail together

Words of warning have been spoken
Ancient creatures have awoken
Still, until our bond is broken
We shall sail together!

We shall sail together!

It's always funny when devs seem to think they have some kind of miracle solution to griefing. I guess they'll learn the lesson the hard way just like everyone else

The solution to griefing is to get better at griefing.

This game should come with salt packets.

SOR5

"Although Sea of Thieves has been designed primarily as a multiplayer co-operative game, we understand that there will be times that maybe players haven't got their friends online, or maybe they don't want to play with people they don't know. Or they might just want to go out there on their own and explore. We have prototyped different sized ships, and smaller sized ships that suit one to two players, and we've had these interesting scenarios where we've had these little ships circling the big ships like flies – it creates a really interesting balance."

On whether playing by yourself will be viable

Zeta Oni

This is supposed to be considered a AAA game? Really? Lol

I'm curious to hear what doesn't look "AAA" to you?

Art style? I don't think you can tell if a game is AAA or not through art style alone.

Graphics? Game is looking pretty sound in that department

Gameplay? This is supposedly only a portion of what you can do gameplay-wise and we have mostly very positive to hear from those who have played. (what would be "AAA" gameplay in the first place?)

Scale? We have no clue what the final map is like.

Online? In terms of online the "shared space" thing has already been done in the AAA space with most recently The Division, Its not a foreign concept nor is it one that instantly somehow lowered the production values of a game?

I'm curious to hear what doesn't look "AAA" to you?

Art style? I don't think you can tell if a game is AAA or not through art style alone.

Graphics? Game is looking pretty sound in that department

Gameplay? This is supposedly only a portion of what you can do gameplay-wise and we have mostly very positive to hear from those who have played. (what would be "AAA" gameplay in the first place?)

Scale? We have no clue what the final map is like.

Online? In terms of online the "shared space" thing has already been done in the AAA space with most recently The Division, Its not a foreign concept nor is it one that instantly somehow lowered the production values of a game?

It just looks incredibly boring. The graphics definitely aren't anything to brag about and it being online means non existent story. Looks like a game that should be like $40 tbh

Oh and the commentary in the video the OP posted is hilariously bad. Yup, everyone yelling pretending like they're excited and having fun. It was for a conference, it was so fake and bad that it was an insult to my intelligence LOL

SOR5

Oh and the commentary in the video the OP posted is hilariously bad. Yup, everyone yelling pretending like they're excited and having fun. It was for a conference, it was so fake and bad that it was an insult to my intelligence LOL

It's post history time

I understand youre trying to be a bit snide and stuff, but it's not working.

It just looks incredibly boring. The graphics definitely aren't anything to brag about and it being online means non existent story. Looks like a game that should be like $40 tbh

I know. Look at these hideous graphics.
Made a few gifs from the B-Roll last night, may as well post them in here as well.

oray3As.gif

nuvd6xx.gif

eN77gtP.gif

z8LV40N.gif

This game is going to be incredible.
It's like PS2 quality over here amiright? /s

It's post history time

Wellthereitis.gif

T.O.P

Banned

Nah you just sound like an asshole, sorry

I have said it before but I will say it again in case anyone strolls along that hasn't seen it. The people in the video including myself had no idea that our reactions were going to be used for the conference.

We were legitimately having that much fun with the game. If you were on the show floor at E3 this year you would have heard the same yelling and laughing from people playing the game.

I understand legit criticism but I don't understand the childish need to come into a thread for a game you don't care about and shit all over it.
But oh well.

Anyway, I really think this game will shine when you play with friends. My friends are already planning for our crew and how we will want to play.

Except you have the people in the video posting here saying it was real, you have people on the show floor saying it matches their experience, and people like me who played it via another route saying it's legit.

So you want to talk about insulting - it's your cynical dismissal of real reactions.

Platy

I absolutely adore the cinematic trailer, probably watched it about 30 times. The music is so cool, Beano doing work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3UiHp0sz0

It's all captured in-engine with real assets btw.

Extended lyrics:

Cloaked in folds of midnight waters
Side by side, we sons and daughters
We set forth for no king’s orders
But we’ll sail together

Hold fast! Tides are turning
Flames roar! Fires are burning!
We’ll all be returning
If we sail together

All on the wave shall know our story
Sing of the battles fought ashore, we
All shall thrive on fame and glory
When we sail together

Words of warning have been spoken
Ancient creatures have awoken
Still, until our bond is broken
We shall sail together!

We shall sail together!

This game is on No Man Sky levels that I don't care about the game but OMFG I NEED the soundtrack in my veins

CrazE

Banned
Can't wait for this one. Really fun team game. Curious to know if there will be any stats, or pirate clan type things. Also if this will use the Xbox Live's new "group" thing they announced. Kind of like a clan room type thing for Live.

Would love to find other similarly interested pirates to plunder with out there. :)

Top Bottom