• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

cdyhybrid

I have done lots of reading, but I thought I would ask Seattle-Gaf:

Where are the best places to look at living? I am married and prob have a kid sometime soon. Don't need downtown life, and don't mind the area being quiet, maybe even boring to some.

What are some of the better companies (besides the obvious Seattle bigs) to look at Career wise? I might even not be thinking of some of the big ones to look at.

Background in IT, Systems Administration, SCADA technology.

Sounds like the Eastside is for you. Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah.

jb1234

I have done lots of reading, but I thought I would ask Seattle-Gaf:

Where are the best places to look at living? I am married and prob have a kid sometime soon. Don't need downtown life, and don't mind the area being quiet, maybe even boring to some.

What are some of the better companies (besides the obvious Seattle bigs) to look at Career wise? I might even not be thinking of some of the big ones to look at.

Background in IT, Systems Administration, SCADA technology.

Either the northern Seattle suburbs or the Eastside. Just be prepared in joining the rest of us for a lousy, lousy commute.

Finally a solution to the gentrification of Capitol Hill.

HEY! I live here, you swine!

(Although I wonder for how much longer, given how much rent keeps going up...)

dLMN8R

Saw this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3da1mh/we_are_earthquake_experts_ask_us_anything_about/

It's pretty bad, but this calmed me a little bit:

Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast

Yes, you put your finger on the quote most easily taken out of context. Communications may black out, transportation may grind to a halt, stores conceivably could run out of goods for a while, but that doesn't constitute "toast" in one's mind. The speaker must have been referring to some aspect of those problems, not to smoking rubble. - John

phew

jb1234

Just got my internet bill from Shitcast. They raised it a buck. Now, this doesn't sound like much but they seem to raise my goddamn bill every month. Now I'm paying ninety bucks JUST for internet and it's not *that* fast. Going to call them tomorrow.

Just got my internet bill from Shitcast. They raised it a buck. Now, this doesn't sound like much but they seem to raise my goddamn bill every month. Now I'm paying ninety bucks JUST for internet and it's not *that* fast. Going to call them tomorrow.

Calling them does nothing you have to go out to see them in person. Trust me I've been down this road many times.

Do they even give you someone that speaks proper English? I've called plenty of time half the time I can't understand the shit they are trying to say. The other half they are trying to upsale me when I'm trying to like cancel or anything not even remotely related to upgrading.

However when I come out in person they don't try any of that bull shit.

Trouble

Banned
Call and immediately get to the cancellation department (customer loyalty or some such bullshit). They will speak english and they can get you deals that regular sales can't. You don't even need to keep up the pretext that you might cancel, they don't care.

I got a deal for 2 years with every pay channel and 150mbps internet for a hundred and change. I agreed to a contract to get that, but I'm not going anywhere.

I did have to call twice because the first time the lady screwed up and didn't give me the 150mbps as quoted. They ended up throwing in the rest of the pay channels (original included HBO only) for a slightly cheaper price. :D

Bonus: Create sub-accounts for your friends/family. They can use those logins for the Comcast TV GO app and HBO/Showtime/etc apps (assuming you sub those).

Mollymauk

Anyone looking for a fixer-upper in the $600K range?

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/4030-Meridian-Ave-N-98103/home/117173

gb3m3s5.jpg

b1sPfR3.jpg

fgRGL1j.jpg

That makes me feel like my house with similar square footage, a second bathrom, a larger lot, and within walking distance of that must have doubled in price since I bought it. 15 months ago.

So first time visiting Seattle! I'm here with a friend. Any good sights to see?

Also, are there any physical locations that I could buy KEXP merchandise like a shirt or something? Like a gift shop? One of my friends back home loves the station and I wanna bring him something when I return home.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You can find KEXP merch at most of the local record shops: Silver Platters in Sodo, Easy Street in West Seattle, a few on Capitol Hill, etc

dLMN8R

My wife and I walked down Stone Way a couple weeks ago to check out Hashtag. It is indeed a really nice store. But what surprised us is that we passed another legal retail shop along the way that we didn't hear about earlier - I guess it just opened a couple weeks ago? It's called Oz:

http://www.ozseattle.com/

That store was even more impressive than Hashtag IMO. Very friendly people, nice selection, cool layout, good sales, etc.

I guess it's now Stoned Way?

Oh that's cool. Thanks! :)

Hmm, what's the best/cheapest recreational weed store around Seattle?

On the KEXP front, Sonic Boom in Ballard might also have stuff. I also bet you could try popping in the station itself during reasonable hours and someone there might be able to hook you up (they are in a small building off Dexter just up from Denny, walkable from the space needle if you're going to be near there).

On the KEXP front, Sonic Boom in Ballard might also have stuff. I also bet you could try popping in the station itself during reasonable hours and someone there might be able to hook you up (they are in a small building off Dexter just up from Denny, walkable from the space needle if you're going to be near there).

Being able to get something directly from the station would be cool. We will be going to the space needle tomorrow I think. Might pop by and see :)

Brakke

Banned
Went to hashtag this evening in fact. Yeah it's a solid spot. If you're on a budget they do cheap prerolled g joints with stock that's getting stale or is cycling out.

There's another store simply called Seaweed which is my secret favorite name. So direct. Such a tiny joke.

Sol1dus

Fremont brewery is awesome. I also got some puerto rican food about a week ago at La Islan and it was phenomenal. Any other places I should hit up? I'm actually considering going to La Isla tonight for happy hour. :p

Fremont brewery is awesome. I also got some puerto rican food about a week ago at La Islan and it was phenomenal. Any other places I should hit up? I'm actually considering going to La Isla tonight for happy hour. :p

Reuben's Brews and Holy Mountain. Them and Fremont are my ultimate Seattle beer trifecta.

Just around the corner from La Isla is Carta De Oaxaca, the best Mexican food I've ever eaten.

Chris R

All of those places look so good, wish they were just a bit closer to the downtown area though so I could walk to them when I'm visiting again in two weeks :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just around the corner from La Isla is Carta De Oaxaca, the best Mexican food I've ever eaten.

I've only been to the Oaxaca sister restaurant on Capitol Hill, and that one definitely failed to impress, along with making me feel straight-up scammed with their portion to price ratio.

mYm|17|

I've only been to the Oaxaca sister restaurant on Capitol Hill, and that one definitely failed to impress, along with making me feel straight-up scammed with their portion to price ratio.

I was also disappointed with the portion to price ratio at La Carta De Oaxaca. l thought Senor Moose was much better and they give you chips and salsa

Not getting complimentary chips & salsa at a Mexican restaurant just feels weird to me. I hate that these new contemporary places are trying to make that a thing.

El Boracho, I'm looking at you.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not getting complimentary chips & salsa at a Mexican restaurant just feels weird to me. I hate that these new contemporary places are trying to make that a thing.

El Boracho, I'm looking at you.

El Boracho makes up with it in the liquor to lime ratio.

Overserve me if disagree.

mYm|17|

I hiked the Skyline loop at Paradise this past weekend at Mt. Rainier national park and it was pretty amazing. It has views, moderate hiking with 1700 ft elevation gain, waterfalls, blooming flowers.

83gOxfY.jpg

0b2YICU.jpg

I hiked the Skyline loop at Paradise this past weekend at Mt. Rainier national park and it was pretty amazing. It has views, moderate hiking with 1700 ft elevation gain, waterfalls, blooming flowers.
I've done that trail so many times since moving here a year ago. It's the perfect length and such a good scenic showcase, I feel like it's a day hike I owe to anybody that comes out to visit.

Is the full loop doable today, or is the snow field right after Paradise Point impassable? Haven't done it this season yet.

mYm|17|

I've done that trail so many times since moving here a year ago. It's the perfect length and such a good scenic showcase, I feel like it's a day hike I owe to anybody that comes out to visit.

Is the full loop doable today, or is the snow field right after Paradise Point impassable? Haven't done it this season yet.

Yea, totally doable.

Top Bottom