• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle health officials close Chipotle location for repeated health code violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://nrn.com/food-safety/seattle-health-officials-close-chipotle-unit-repeated-violations

Since E. coli outbreak, restaurants under stricter scrutiny
Dec 11, 2015 Lisa Jennings

Health officials in Seattle on Thursday closed a Chipotle Mexican Grill unit there for repeated food safety violations.

There were no reports of illness. But the violations were found as the health department keeps a close eye on the 17 Chipotle units in Seattle and King County after the E. coli outbreak linked to the chain, which began late last month and sickened 52 people in nine states.

The news hit as officials with Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. responded to a norovirus outbreak in Boston associated with one restaurant, one of a number of foodborne illness incidents across the U.S. this year.

In recent days, company officials have attempted to focus its message on chain-wide efforts to make Chipotle the safest place in the world to eat. Ongoing reports of illnesses and health violations, however, have clouded that message.

The Seattle and King County Food Safety Program said a unit at 212 Westlake Ave. North in South Lake Union was one of the 43 restaurants in the Pacific Northwest voluntarily closed by Chipotle last month after an outbreak of E. coli was reported there. Only 11 restaurants were implicated in Washington state and Oregon, but the company closed all units in the region out of what officials described as an “abundance of caution.”

The restaurants went through top-down cleaning and sanitation, discarded all produce and passed an inspection by health officials to reopen.

On Nov. 10, all 17 units in King County met the criteria for reopening, the agency said.

Since then, the department of public health has continued to closely monitor Chipotle, conducting inspections at all county locations.

The South Lake Union restaurant had “red violations” on three consecutive visits, including an inspection on Thursday, the restaurant’s second visit since the outbreak, the agency said.

Red violations indicate improper practices or procedures identified as the most prevalent in contributing to foodborne illness.

Violations included improper hot holding temperatures under the required 130 degrees for several items, including diced chicken, brown rice, shredded beef, cubed beef and fajita vegetables.

The violations totaled 25 points out of a possible 400, well below the 90-point threshold for a closure, the agency noted.

But because the restaurant also had violations during inspections on Nov. 23 and in December 2014, the health department closed the restaurant.

Company officials must correct the violations and the restaurant must be be reinspected before being given clearance to reopen, the agency said.

jax

Banned
Chipotle's response is so freakin dumb.

"Oh well our ingredients are the freshest so we are more susceptible to things like this because we don't use frozen food, preservatives or GMOs"

News flash, idiots, no one. And I mean no one gives a fuck about any of that. I just want my burrito with no ecoli. I don't give a shit how it's made. You're going to go bankrupt because you're scared of the boogeyman.

Ban Puncher

"Oh well our ingredients are the freshest so we are more susceptible to things like this because we don't use frozen food, preservatives or GMOs"

News flash, idiots, no one. And I mean no one gives a fuck about any of that. I just want my burrito with no ecoli. I don't give a shit how it's made. You're going to go bankrupt because you're scared of the boogeyman.
It's so fresh it still has the manure fertiliser on it.

Had Chipotle yesterday and it definitely seemed way less busy than normal (northern Chicago burbs). Not sure if its the e. coli fears or the fact that a new Portillo's opened up just down the street a few weeks ago.

Slayven

It's pretty much "Shit happens"

And you willing shitting a lot from the various bacteria you get from chiptle's

Sephzilla

Qdoba>>>Chipotle

tumblr_ns82t2dHIS1qftpdso1_500.gif

SSPssp

Wasn't McDonald's losing a lot of business to Chipotle? If they were smart they'd capitalize on this.

Yeah, time for McDonald's to rebuy all that stock! I doubt many will leave Chipotle for McDonalds if they care about their health.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wasn't McDonald's losing a lot of business to Chipotle? If they were smart they'd capitalize on this.

Ironic because McD's was an early investor in Chipotle.

The way Chipotle is handling this is like the opposite of Jack in the Box. Their company is dying as we speak. I wouldn't eat there now and there have been no reports in my area.

The only reason people are getting sick is because our bodies have de evolved from generations of eating engineered bioproducts and can't handle nature and real food anymore.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I feel like I used to be the only person who would defend Q'doba over Chipotle a few years ago. Look who's e-coli free and laughing now, losers!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Had a buddy who worked there that said 9 outta 10 times the chicken was only partially cooked then cut and put into the heating vat to finish cooking.

Never ate chicken at one of these type of places again....
The only reason people are getting sick is because our bodies have de evolved from generations of eating engineered bioproducts and can't handle nature and real food anymore.
Or you know...... IT COULD BE BECAUSE THE CHICKEN IS RAW. LOL

ReAxion

They are totally playing to woo - frozen food can still transmit foodborne illness.

Food handling licenses should be required for all staff of any food service.

It's insane how its not required what so ever for anyone aside from managers in most states.

KadeYuy

Chipotles is just trying to fight back against Amazon for Seattle's soul.

(South lake union is where Amazon's campus is located)

GMOs don't cause E Coli, what a stupid thing for them to say. They also imply frozen food is inherently a bad thing, when frozen food can often be just as good, if not better in some cases, then fresh.

jax

Banned
GMOs don't cause E Coli, what a stupid thing for them to say. They also imply frozen food is inherently a bad thing, when frozen food can often be just as good, if not better in some cases, then fresh.
They're saying it's the opposite, their lack of GMOs and frozen/preserved food which is causing the outbreak. Which is probably true, but really dumb, because literally no one cares if they have GMOs or not.

Shouta

This was a super popular Chipotle's too because it had Amazon and a few other IT companies as a customer base. I never ate there myself, I preferred Kigo, the mongolian grill-ish place next door, lol.

Coppanuva

Oh hey I work near this one. Place was always insanely crowded whenever I went (like 20-30 minute wait to get to the counter). Didn't go to it much, likely won't if they re-open.

Coppanuva

This was a super popular Chipotle's too because it had Amazon and a few other IT companies as a customer base. I never ate there myself, I preferred Kigo, the mongolian grill-ish place next door, lol.

Yup. And there's much better Mexican Food trucks around the area now if you really want a burrito, ones that won't maybe kill you. Kigo is pretty solid though.

RoKKeR

Too bad, I prefer their food to most other restaurants similar to it (except Cafe Rio, which is the GOAT) but I've been avoiding it since this whole debacle broke out.

Had a buddy who worked there that said 9 outta 10 times the chicken was only partially cooked then cut and put into the heating vat to finish cooking.

The chicken is overcooked around here. Unless some idiot is completely fucking up (and they'd never pass health code serving raw chicken on the regular), the fresh vegetables are the riskiest thing on your plate at any given Chipotle. Really.

I'd rather eat raw chicken than poison my body with GMOs.

They are totally playing to woo - frozen food can still transmit foodborne illness.

Frozen vegetables are often more nutritious as well, because vegetables picked for freezing are more likely to be ripe at the time of picking. Vegetables picked for fresh are usually picked before ripening and the nutrients actually start breaking down before you eat them.

Want really nutritious vegetables? Pick them fresh and flash-freeze them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom