• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second case of norovirus has been connected to Va. Chipotle, 135 reported ill

Saganator

With Jack in the Box, people- children- actually died. Not the same thing.

Ah my bad, I was typing out my reply when other posters mentioned Jack n the Box and kids dying. I don't remember kids dying, as I was just a kid myself when it happened.

Piggus

This company has some truly garbage oversight of their health/food handling practices.

These poor fucks can't catch a break.

Well it's their own fault. Enforcing proper food safety practices isn't hard. They just have to actually take it seriously.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/sterling/health-inspection-history-for-sterling-chipotle/457756112

VO7i5bZ.png

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/29/news/economy/chipotle-lawsuit-nearly-10000-workers/index.html

I can sympathize that when your company is forcing you to work extra hours off-the-clock without compensation, food safety probably isn't the number one thing on your mind anymore.

I mean, I like a good burrito too, but I can't understand the absolute obsession with loyalty to one particular moderate-quality casual restaurant that's constantly making people sick, using deceptive marketing, and shitting all over employees. I'm glad I live in Texas where there are alternatives that taste better and are cheaper. Yikes.
The fact that the system automatically clocks out employees at 12:30 is extremely sketchy and obviously an attempt at shorting people their pay. I work an hourly food service job, and there are plenty of times when we have to stay over our scheduled time...you are always on the clock for that time though, and you are only off the clock when you clock out yourself, with a fingerprint scanner and everything. Automatically clocking out employees seems like a system that would be rife with abuse.

dafodeu

Chipotle can't catch a break. I stopped going to them as often earlier this year after my debit card got compromised because they had malware on their point of sale devices. Really upsetting that they still aren't setup to take chip cards yet. Huge pain having to get a new debit card.

I would have been even more pissed if my debit card information got stolen and I got sick from the same visit.

Also, they are very wasteful at the Chipotle I go to. I have no idea why they do this but whenever I order double meat, they take an empty to go plastic sauce container, flip it upside down and put it next to my order. When it gets to the cashier this identifies that the order was double meat and then they throw the container away. No idea who came up with that wasteful system.

Linkura

Chipotle can't catch a break. I stopped going to them as often earlier this year after my debit card got compromised because they had malware on their point of sale devices. Really upsetting that they still aren't setup to take chip cards yet. Huge pain having to get a new debit card.

There are some local places that don't do chips, but if you're a national chain, you straight up don't give a shit about your customers' security if you aren't using chip at this point. I can't think of a single national chain I've been to other than Chipotle that isn't using chip yet.

steveovig

I guess I'll be going to Hot Heads or a local place for a little while. I really love Chipotle's tomato chile though and I hate HH's hot sauce. Is Hot Heads national?

akira28

I wouldn't doubt corporate sabotage at this point. Its easy to have a couple infecteds just drop by and fuck all your shit up, plus kill your stock.

edit: or I guess it could be the supply chain. but they're usually good about tracking that stuff down by now, the CDC, I mean.

commedieu

Banned
Where else are people supposed to go to get real ethnic food and cultural experience after a hard days work of gentrification?

Xis

I guess I'll be going to Hot Heads or a local place for a little while. I really love Chipotle's tomato chile though and I hate HH's hot sauce. Is Hot Heads national?

You from Ohio? Hot Head is based in Dayton, only has locations in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Linkura

I wouldn't doubt corporate sabotage at this point. Its easy to have a couple infecteds just drop by and fuck all your shit up, plus kill your stock.

edit: or I guess it could be the supply chain. but they're usually good about tracking that stuff down by now, the CDC, I mean.

Norovirus is from employees not washing their hands after taking a shit. Obviously Chipotle has a serious issue with this. Some of the links upthread give clues as to why- possible wage theft, treating employees like shit, etc.

The Argus

Unlike most fast food franchises, Chipotle serves fresh food all prepared in house. Problem is it's made by a rotating staff of people who really don't care and are just trying to make ends meet. Their fresh take is what is killing them. I almost guarantee that in a year or so all Chipotle food will prepared in a factory and simply reheated in stores. Wendy's may use fresh beef, but its patties are put together offsite.

Opto

Banned
I feel like Chipotle gets called out for this a lot more than other restaurants if only because it continues a media circus guaranteed to get views

Linkura

Unlike most fast food franchises, Chipotle serves fresh food all prepared in house. Problem is it's made by a rotating staff of people who really don't care and are just trying to make ends meet. Their fresh take is what is killing them. I almost guarantee that in a year or so all Chipotle food will prepared in a factory and simply reheated in stores. Wendy's may use fresh beef, but its patties are put together offsite.

After the fiasco, this is no longer the case. A lot of stuff is now done offsite in giant factories. Steak is now cooked in a giant factory before being sent to stores, for example. Credit to this great article someone posted in a previous Chipotle illness thread:
https://www.fastcompany.com/3064068/chipotle-eats-itself

I feel like Chipotle gets called out for this a lot more than other restaurants if only because it continues a media circus guaranteed to get views

If any other chain caused 135 cases of norovirus, you'd hear about it.

There's not some anti-Chipotle agenda in the FAKE NEWS liberal media.

Neith

Banned
Shitpotle strikes again
giphy-downsized-large.gif

OMG.

If any other chain caused 135 cases of norovirus, you'd hear about it.

There's not some anti-Chipotle agenda in the FAKE NEWS liberal media.

I remember two specific conspiracy theories about Chipotle:

One was that they were being sabotaged by big business and the contaminants were being leaked into some type of open food source they have there.

Two was that the company themselves were in on it to tank their stock and buy it back cheap. They did repurchase stock but I have no idea about any of this lol.

Last time I went to Chipotle to get two burritos they fucked shit up royally. Did not listen to me about anything I requested and just threw my stuff together. I literally stole a tabasco sauce I felt so cheated. Bleh.

Neith

Banned
Ahh the corporate sabotage theory is still going strong: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-25/the-chipotle-corporate-sabotage-theory-returns

I gotta say if this was actually sabotage I feel so bad for the people that made the business big unless they were in on it. If it was not the company people you would think the company would be screaming to the heavens about it though. Wasn't that one owner guy doing coke and other stuff lol?

A lot of money gets made when you can short the stocks.

joe2187

Banned
How the fuck does this keep happening to them all the time?

They've probably been the most active in trying to keep their stuff as safe and homogeneous as possible and they fail basic food safety?

How? I've been working in the food industry for a long ass time and I've seen some terrible shit, but even then nothing as on the scale of this. How do you fail so badly?

Neith

Banned

They've probably been the most active in trying to keep their stuff as safe and homogeneous as possible and they fail basic food safety?

How? I've been working in the food industry for a long ass time and I've seen some terrible shit, but even then nothing as on the scale of this. How do you fail so badly?

This is why you even have independent analysts wondering how the unlikely probability of this is coming true and also wondering about people shorting the stock.

For all we know it could be Chipotle owners themselves doing this. They did have that one guy arrested for coke and stuff, and Chipotle has been known to be a greedy company. I wouldn't put it past them to sabotage their food chain and make millions on the short end. LOL.

At any rate I don't plan on going back for awhile since my last two burritos sucked balls.

Omadahl

Banned
Honest question: Why do people still eat there? If even one case of norovirus popped up at a restaurant I like, I'd abandon it.

Snaku

Banned

When I went to the Chipotle down the road from the one that got shut down earlier this month, as I was trying to pay for my order one of the cooks came out to the front, grabbed the cashier's ass and French kissed her in front of me. Then he went back to cooking. I'm never eating there again.

Neith

Banned
Honest question: Why do people still eat there? If even one case of norovirus popped up at a restaurant I like, I'd abandon it.

I think because it's like a couple locations at distinctly weird times that have gotten it. I don't think most people really take it seriously.

Worst Chipotle story I have was one large hair in each of my two burritos. I legit stole their tabasco/chipotle sauce for it. I didn't even want to talk about it with their manager. These hairs were fucking huge too. It was so fucked I still have urges to steal their sauces lol. Ahh chipotle my nemesis.

joe2187

Banned
This is why you even have independent analysts wondering how the unlikely probability of this is coming true and also wondering about people shorting the stock.

For all we know it could be Chipotle owners themselves doing this. They did have that one guy arrested for coke and stuff, and Chipotle has been known to be a greedy company. I wouldn't put it past them to sabotage their food chain and make millions on the short end. LOL.

At any rate I don't plan on going back for awhile since my last two burritos sucked balls.

It's just highly suspicious that this happened again, even after their supposed crackdown and new food practices.

An outbreak this big doesnt happen unless the entire kitchen staff wipes their asses with their bare hands or it's on purpose.

even if one employee forgets to wash their hands and have traces of fecal matter, you'd get at most 10-15 cases not more than a hundred.

Top Bottom