• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second case of norovirus has been connected to Va. Chipotle, 135 reported ill

Falchion

Well shit, another outbreak in my state. I may have to chill on Chipotle and hit up Taco Bell more instead.

Blizzard

Banned
I would almost say they being setup, almost
It's just anecdotal, but here's my own experience with Chipotle, maybe last year.

I used to eat there fairly often. They were very popular and I never got sick. Then the news about people getting sick started, and I started dating a girl who hated Chipotle. I quit going.

Eventually I figured hey, what are the odds my particular store, many states away from these outbreaks, would have a problem? I went there, ate lunch with a friend, and ended up vomiting repeatedly, literally within an hour or two of the meal. My friend was fine and I think the only difference in our meals was that I got lettuce?

Now MAYBE it was all in my head, but it made sure I wasn't going there anymore.

Thankfully it wasn't norovirus. I've had food poisoning for a day or two from a seafood restaurant, and that was horrible, but norovirus sounds even worse.

Is this because they don't allow antibiotics on their meat? Chipotle made from sick animals?

bdk3O6u.png

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
How is this always happening to Chipotle?

It's that gad dang oganic liberal bullshit! Theynt got the right chemikals an shit to kill the norotoken that fuk you up. That shit aint even made in America! Shitpotlay ain't even English!

Linkura

It's just anecdotal, but here's my own experience with Chipotle, maybe last year.

I used to eat there fairly often. They were very popular and I never got sick. Then the news about people getting sick started, and I started dating a girl who hated Chipotle. I quit going.

Eventually I figured hey, what are the odds my particular store, many states away from these outbreaks, would have a problem? I went there, ate lunch with a friend, and ended up vomiting repeatedly, literally within an hour or two of the meal. My friend was fine and I think the only difference in our meals was that I got lettuce?

Now MAYBE it was all in my head, but it made sure I wasn't going there anymore.

Thankfully it wasn't norovirus. I've had food poisoning for a day or two from a seafood restaurant, and that was horrible, but norovirus sounds even worse.

I may or may not have gotten food poisoning from Chipotle. It was either that or another local restaurant.

Kthulhu

Why do people still eat at Chipotles? I would have figured all the ebola stuff would have stopped people from going.

Ebola? Chipotle never had an issue with Ebola.

Free burritos for everyone!

I don't know how anyone still gives these clowns business.

It's delicious.

Christ. What the hell is Chipotle doing differently than places like Taco Bell that causes them to have all of these awful outbreaks in their food?

I blame their push for organic food for some of it. Norovirus is from people though. Some dumbass employee came to work while they were sick.

hu030_caution_this_sign_has_sharp_edges_do_not_touch_humorous_sign.gif

This company never ceases to amaze. All the anti-science marketing propaganda about GMO food being a health risk... but they can't fucking follow basic principles of food safety.

darklin0

Banned
Is this because they don't allow antibiotics on their meat? Chipotle made from sick animals?

bdk3O6u.png

Antibiotics treat bacterial diseases not viral diseases. So if it were through the meat, having antibiotics would not make a difference.

Like others have said though, it is transferred through human fecal matter.

Nipo

Chipotle serves about a million people a day. People not eating there because they fear getting sick should never leave their rooms if those odds are too terrifying.

WoolyNinja

Every restaurant has served food that has made their patrons ill in one way or another. It's more or less inevitable. I have no idea why everyone is so focused on Chipotle? I don't even eat it often but at this point I feel bad for anyone involved with that company.

Instro

Antibiotics treat bacterial diseases not viral diseases. So if it were through the meat, having antibiotics would not make a difference.

Like others have said though, it is transferred through human fecal matter.

Well I suppose you could make the case that they are sourcing ingredients from weird places because of their stances on GMO, antibiotics, etc. I'm not really sure if/how norovirus survives on food, like does get killed off in a cooking process?

I was looking at bit more into it though and apparently vomit will also transfer the virus, and can be particularly problematic because it allows the virus to get into the air and land on nearby surfaces. So could be some problems with their cleaning practices as well.

This sort of thing happens to fast food chains all the time. A friend of mine worked at subway for a year and had two separate incidents of salmonella outbreaks tied to their chain and their lettus had to be regionally recalled a number of times because of E.coli but you never hear about it. It's scary to think about.

Nipo

Using real meat maybe?

yup. Cooking with fresh food, instead of precooked flash frozen, is a pain in the ass at the scale and a logistical nightmare. There is a reason McDonalds announcing it would use fresh beef in one product was a big deal. The supply line changes are staggering.

Pachinko

Know how I can tell you've never had norovirus? ;)

The first couple hours of non-stop shitting and vomiting you are worried you are going to die. For the next couple hours, you're worried that you aren't

Basically this , norovirus is the sickest I've been in my entire life. Couldn't even keep water down for 36 hours.

At least with Taco Bell you have one bad shit and move on with your life.

It's like they don't want business. I'm a die hard fan of chipotle but fuck if I'm gonna play norovirus/Ebola roulette every time I eat there. I'm done with that place

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/29/news/economy/chipotle-lawsuit-nearly-10000-workers/index.html

I can sympathize that when your company is forcing you to work extra hours off-the-clock without compensation, food safety probably isn't the number one thing on your mind anymore.

I mean, I like a good burrito too, but I can't understand the absolute obsession with loyalty to one particular moderate-quality casual restaurant that's constantly making people sick, using deceptive marketing, and shitting all over employees. I'm glad I live in Texas where there are alternatives that taste better and are cheaper. Yikes.

Phreaker

Meh, 2 cases from one location? Wont stop me. On average, noroviruses cause 19-21 million cases of acute gastroenteritis in the U.S. per year, according to the CDC. So...

Saganator

Companies today seem much more resilient about this kind of news, even with social media. I remember when some shit happened with Jack n the Box way back in the early 90s, it nearly destroyed the company. Still isn't what it was back then.

Sinfamy

Yea I think I'm done with Chipotle.
Anyone who keeps eating there after countless incidents of them not giving a fuck about their customer's safety is a moron in my book.

Linkura

Companies today seem much more resilient about this kind of news, even with social media. I remember when some shit happened with Jack n the Box way back in the early 90s, it nearly destroyed the company. Still isn't what it was back then.

With Jack in the Box, people- children- actually died. Not the same thing.

Top Bottom