• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second ARMS Invitational Tournament April 29-30 in Japan [Streaming Now]

squall23

Right, but why not just name her menmen.

Okay, maybe that name sounds too weird in English.

Chinese pinyin for noodles is "mian" though. So it's also not min.
They could be going for Cantonese instead, but that would be "meen", which I guess is closer to min than "mian".

Jintor

oh looking it up mien is a transliteration of the pinyin

that's what i get for aggressively hating chinese school

my chow mien tho

That describes a Chinese language variant. It's not the english transliteration of noodles in Chinese. Unless you're telling me that they've actually specified the type of Chinese Minmin speaks.

I'd say it's possible. MinMin is not just the name of her in the west, her japanese profile has it as well. You'd get something close to MenMen and a chinese reference. I'm reaching here, but I can't think of anything better.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ya'll are making me do research when I should be watching the tournament. But I found this interesting thing from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_(Ten_Kingdoms)

The early Chinese exonym Min (閩) was a graphic pejorative written with Radical 142 虫, the "insect" or "reptile" radical. Xu Shen's (c. 121 CE) Shuowen Jiezi dictionary defines min as:[1] "Southeastern Yue [i.e., Viet]; snake race. [The character is formed] from [the] insect / serpent [radical and takes its pronunciation from] mén.

Snakes are sometimes seen as dragons or at least part of the same serpent/reptile family.

Nanashrew

Banned
I like how DNA used the corner to his advantage there and used the springs in the back to bounce around. Also hindering Mechanica's vision with that splat arm.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm very confused here.

How can there already be a tournament if this game hasn't even come out yet?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This Min Min dude moves like he's been playing the game for months.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm very confused here.

How can there already be a tournament if this game hasn't even come out yet?

Pokken had one too at one of these events and Harada was dressed as a Pikachu IIRC. And I believe Tekken 7 had a small little tournament as well on a side stream on Nico.

Chokaigi has a lot of stuff there. I believe some Vocaloid projects were even revealed at Chokaigi events as well.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's more like a fun event than an actual competitive tournament.

Yeah, I think of it more like a festival than a convention or tournament. I believe Nico hosts a bunch of other streams happening at Chokaigi but we're all mainly watching this one thing.

Top Bottom