• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Self-driving trucks will hit the road in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

That image isn't nearly as dire as people posting it make it out to be. Yes, it's a lot of jobs, but if you read the article, there's this:
"The prominence of truck drivers is partly due to the way the government categorizes jobs. It lumps together all truck drivers and delivery people, creating a very large category. Other jobs are split more finely; for example, primary school teachers and secondary school teachers are in separate categories."

Tractor drivers are in there, etc. I bet postal workers are in there, as well. Sure, they may all be on the chopping block eventually, but I feel like most people here are envisioning this as all long-haul truckers or something.
Also, just because one job type is "most common" doesn't mean there aren't a ton of other job types that, in the aggregate, far eclipse this single job type.

Again, there's no doubt that a reckoning is coming for truck drivers, but I believe that it is overstated with images like this posted without context or analysis.

The problem is other industries are experiencing exactly the same phenomena. We've seen it with manufacturing (and globalisation and outsourcing of jobs has also contributed to this) and we're beginning to see it in the service industry. In fact it's one of the reasons truck drivers are comparatively ubiquitous. They've been, until now, the job you cannot easily eliminate.

At a certain point you're left asking people without tertiary degrees; what exactly jobs are left for them to do?

Scirrocco

Yet.

This is basically testing. The driver is just there to take over in case things go sideways.
The instant the threshold is reached where automated incidents are less frequent than human ones, there's no reason to keep the human drivers; if anything, they'd be a liability. Might even be sooner than that.

It'll be a while before they're gone. Once people start losing their jobs, politicians will start passing laws requiring a driver, playing on people's mistrust of machines. Trucking companies will fight back, but it will be easy to argue it's for 'safety' since the average person underestimates computers. It'll basically be a jobs program.

Of course the jobs will pay shit now since they can now hire almost anyone to just sit in the cabin, so that will be a pretty serious effectt.

Foffy

Banned
Lets see Trump MAGA and get trucker jobs back from the darn foreigner robots.

Trump 2020

The bubble don't just burst that way. Fast food is getting fucked hard, too.

The great thing about electing Trump is he really is the last gasp of neoliberalism. We can only hope this displacement issue expands as much as it can, for it forces us to demand real change, instead of piecemeal retrofitting that has ultimately failed.

entremet

There's debate as to how accurate some of these classifications are but....

Most common jobs by state;

common-jobs-featured.png

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/02/05/382664837/map-the-most-common-job-in-every-state

Ouch.

Didn't know it was this widespread.

Another thing in a recent article I read, many of jobs are appealing because of the lack of office politicking. It's the type of blue collar ethic that many found appealing in Trump--Straight talk and autonomy.

Unless you're a genius like Steve Jobs, you can't go into any office and give straight talk.

eggandI

Banned
That image isn't nearly as dire as people posting it make it out to be. Yes, it's a lot of jobs, but if you read the article, there's this:
"The prominence of truck drivers is partly due to the way the government categorizes jobs. It lumps together all truck drivers and delivery people, creating a very large category. Other jobs are split more finely; for example, primary school teachers and secondary school teachers are in separate categories."

Tractor drivers are in there, etc. I bet postal workers are in there, as well. Sure, they may all be on the chopping block eventually, but I feel like most people here are envisioning this as all long-haul truckers or something.
Also, just because one job type is "most common" doesn't mean there aren't a ton of other job types that, in the aggregate, far eclipse this single job type.

Again, there's no doubt that a reckoning is coming for truck drivers, but I believe that it is overstated with images like this posted without context or analysis.

Long haul truckers account for 1.7+ million jobs.

rrtyu

Neo Member
With shit like this happening at an increasingly rapid pace, it's going to be a bad four years for trump. Even worse for the people who voted for him.

At least our GDP will probably go up.

The problem is other industries are experiencing exactly the same phenomena. We've seen it with manufacturing (and globalisation and outsourcing of jobs has also contributed to this) and we're beginning to see it in the service industry. In fact it's one of the reasons truck drivers are comparatively ubiquitous. They've been, until now, the job you cannot easily eliminate.

At a certain point you're left asking people without tertiary degrees; what exactly jobs are left for them to do?

That's a good point, and certainly something that needs to be dealt with. I'm just a video game lawyer, so I dunno what to do about it. I assume that people have a survival imperative, so they will either find work, make work, or turn to crime. Hopefully more of the former two.

Long haul truckers account for 1.7+ million jobs.

Okay, so I look at some job numbers from 2016 (I don't know what these are based on and how many of them are in truck driving), and there are months where we create hundreds of thousands of jobs. Again, my understanding of macroeconomics is nonexistent, but that doesn't seem like a HUGE number of jobs to replace. Assuming the government of Trump actually does anything about it.

I realize that that is a large assumption.

tokkun

150 years ago, 50% of Americans were employed in farming. Today it is 1%.

As the article the map being quoted states, Secretary was the #1 job in most states until the PC came along and replaced a lot of secretarial work.

The interesting thing is that the "Truck Driver" category that dominates today includes tractor drivers if you read the fine print; i.e. people employed by jobs using that farm machinery that took Farmer off the map. And the Software Developers are around because of the PCs that led to the downfall of Secretary. You can see the cyclical nature.

turmoil

Banned
I have the impression that the 2021 timelines of several automakers are conservative when we are getting news like this every week.

CD'S BAR

it may be a while before these automatic trucks are completely unmanned. truck drivers will have their jobs but paid less to just monitor the autopilot should anything go wrong.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
What's the point then?

Because some companies believe its more safe for a computer to drive that a human. But a drivers jobs entails WAY more than just bringing a shipment in.

Who's gonna load/unload freight?
Who's gonna make sure the customer loads/unloads the correct freight?
Who's gonna take an exception if needed?
What happens it their is a hazmat spill during delivery on the road?
What if the customer has a question?
If freight becomes loose during delivery is the truck gonna clean it up?
What happens if the system glitches with time critical freight and no ones in the truck?
Who's gonna make sure the customer isnt loading in damaged freight that will come back as an exception to us.
Who's gonna fill the gas tank for those long hauls?

And so on...

turmoil

Banned
Who's gonna make sure the customer loads/unloads the correct freight?

as for that, I think that trucks will be divided into compartments that biometric sensors will open for the corresponding consumer.

Everything will get its workaround as this develops.

Foffy

Banned
Good. Punish them for voting for the orange clown.

This was happening even without Con Man.

Obama said his successor, whoever it was, would inherit the beginning of the changes to the economy caused by technological automation en masse.

It just so happens the person who won is probably the least equipped in the known universe to handle this.

Uber owns Otto. Uber is next. Uber is used a lot in cities, not just rural America.

Wag

It will be interesting to see how many self-driving trucks will be pulled over for operators sleeping at the wheel, texting, watching TV, etc.

This was happening even without Con Man.

Obama said his successor, whoever it was, would inherit the beginning of the changes to the economy caused by technological automation en masse.

It just so happens the person who won is probably the least equipped in the known universe to handle this.

Uber owns Otto. Uber is next. Uber is used a lot in cities, not just rural America.

Well yeh I know that. My point is that they're simpletons who don't and somehow believe that the orange clown will save them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do you hear that, that rumbling in the distance? The last whispered gasps of the working man?

That's the sound of Trump being reelected.

Air

Banned
Good. Widespread adoption of autonomous vehicles will drag the country into the 21st century whether we want to or not. This is still the thing I'm most excited about with technology. Bring it on

Vex_

Banned
America: Where you not only lose your jobs to overseas workers, but to ai as well!

Come to America today!

definitely safer than human drivers, but hopefully the people will be re-trained or something to get new jobs.

won't they need a human on board anyway to monitor the truck's computer and take over just in case something happens?

kingocfs

A book I'm reading now on autonomous vehicles cites market research that projects the first sales of self-driving cards to happen by 2025 and that they will make up 10% of new car sales by 2035.

This stuff is right around the corner.

Foffy

Banned
definitely safer than human drivers, but hopefully the people will be re-trained or something to get new jobs.

won't they need a human on board anyway to monitor the truck's computer and take over just in case something happens?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to both of your points, but I must.

For these dudes to be retrained, they'll likely have to be reeducated. This idea alone is bad in America, considering Trump's pick to head Education as well as the student loan crisis.

Regarding the second, that seems to be what the state regards for safety. For the state of Michigan, Otto is allowed to make and use trucks without steering wheels. How do you self-correct? It speaks confidence in the technology, and maybe even a "message" to send to places that have been left depraved and decrepit like Michigan, but steering wheels are optional. Uber similarly made such a "message" by making Pittsburg the first public trial run of their driverless cabs, most likely.

shira

That's not going to happen.

Initially, but if it works they won't be needed

Two Words

There may be, but this still doesn't change the fact that's until the technology stabilizes as well as the fact you will assuredly need fewer people.

If companies start platooning, they only need one human for every X cars, with all of them linked like a hivemind. You can bank if companies go that way, you only need 20% of that labor force. This is how you get the migration and decline within the service sector economy as well.

Worse still, as one's tasks are more delegated to the machine, so goes their income. The loss of the job isn't the only problem, but the rise of the job being insoluble to our social impositions.

Having a human in there doesn't change the fact this is incredibly destructive for the way we think, as it accelerates precarity and unsustainability within the work itself, be it as a job or wages within it.

Look up Enlitic or Watson. These are deep learning systems, and they're poised to change the medical industry.

Walmart fired 7,000 people a few months ago, likely because inventory and stocking could be better categorized by deep learning than actual programming and personal accounting of such tasks.

In fact, bringing it back to this, consider for a moment Nvidia made a driverless car with less than 100 recorded hours towards the project. Deep learning played a role.

But those things sound very detached from developing software to fix non-rote problems.

150 years ago, 50% of Americans were employed in farming. Today it is 1%.

As the article the map being quoted states, Secretary was the #1 job in most states until the PC came along and replaced a lot of secretarial work.

The interesting thing is that the "Truck Driver" category that dominates today includes tractor drivers if you read the fine print; i.e. people employed by jobs using that farm machinery that took Farmer off the map. And the Software Developers are around because of the PCs that led to the downfall of Secretary. You can see the cyclical nature.

I believe this use of "creative destruction" is a fallacy of underestimating the range and domain of these technology driver changes versus what was available as task work in earlier ages. There is a hidden assumption in there that a new industry will create new human taskwork, when in reality, we can safely assume that won't be the case.
The second machine age / deep learning age doesn't come with a new industry that disrupts the older ones and creates new jobs, it just eliminates them. Or at least much more the other ones did.
Put differently: you can de-skill jobs to make them more accessible to people, but you can't re-skill them after you've removed the need for a human worker.

Also, arguments like these are common -read a few similar articles today- when you're not paying attention to what is already happening: massive youth unemployment and companies waiting to ditch the older ones (and people abandoning the job market altogether in greater numbers than before). While you may say that these are spread across the globe and thereby possibly random, I don't believe that is the case.

I also believe that ignoring that is what got Donald Trump elected as well. We'll have to see how France fares, but I'm not putting my hopes up for a leftist or central president.

also, on a different note: this is the same Kasich as the one that is NOT "effectively president" right now, right?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

That's not going to happen.

Initially, but if it works they won't be needed

Here's what I imagine. Instead of having a human in every truck. Each truck drives itself, but streams its camera feeds to some control center in an office somewhere. One human, or a small team of humans can monitor several trucks and their routes. If anything comes up, a human can take control remotely, or direct the truck to perform some kind of safety measures.

Humans will still be involved, but we'll need a whole lot less of them. The economy is going to be fucked either way.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump will bring back manufacturing jobs by putting tariffs on everything anyway.

smurfx

get some go again
you smell that ohio? that's more jobs leaving forever. don't expect republicans to help in anyway.

Driver still needs to be in the truck to be there for the transfer of goods. I doubt most US businesses will be OK with receiving freight from an unmanned vehicle. Perhaps long-haul trucks can be unmanned but they'd probably transfer to a manned truck at a destination hub for final leg delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom