• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Self-driving trucks will hit the road in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jWILL253

Banned
It would be great if this tech would better serve the people and benefit us nationally.

However, this tech is being pushed at the request of private organizations who are tired of paying for humans and accounting for human error, and people in this thread and beyond want it to become a major change in our economy for reasons. AND want the government to cover the gigantic donut hole that would represent our economy's lack of spending towards anything at that point. AND don't want to actually pay for the taxes that would be involved assuming any basic income system becomes law.

But yeah, let's bring on the singularity, smh.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like for this planet not to turn into Wall-E. I'm no luddite, but everything has a context. Not everything needs to be automated for the sake of it.

It would be great if this tech would better serve the people and benefit us nationally.

However, this tech is being pushed at the request of private organizations who are tired of paying for humans and accounting for human error, and people in this thread and beyond want it to become a major change in our economy for reasons. AND want the government to cover the gigantic donut hole that would represent our economy's lack of spending towards anything at that point. AND don't want to actually pay for the taxes that would be involved assuming any basic income system becomes law.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like for this planet not to turn into Wall-E. I'm no luddite, but everything has a context. Not everything needs to be automated for the sake of it.
Doesn't really matter what we in this thread want or don't want. I think the prevailing thought is that like it or not, this is coming. And yes we know it is because humans can't compete with robots. And that companies want to spend as little as possible on wages and maximize profit.

So I think it is more acceptance that it is coming and we have not prepared for that new reality.

tokkun

I believe this use of "creative destruction" is a fallacy of underestimating the range and domain of these technology driver changes versus what was available as task work in earlier ages. There is a hidden assumption in there that a new industry will create new human taskwork, when in reality, we can safely assume that won't be the case.
The second machine age / deep learning age doesn't come with a new industry that disrupts the older ones and creates new jobs, it just eliminates them. Or at least much more the other ones did.
Put differently: you can de-skill jobs to make them more accessible to people, but you can't re-skill them after you've removed the need for a human worker.

I'm sure all those secretaries in the 1980s didn't foresee today's software industry from the PCs that were coming in to replace them as word processors and document filers. It just appeared as if humans were just being eliminated.

I think it's easy to fall victim to a certain vanity about the present, and think that "things will be different this time" despite the same pattern recurring throughout history.

I imagine not more so than a truck driver now? If the vehicle is stopped in an unplanned manner, in sure authorities will be called. And most trucks now have beds that are fairly easy to break into because of doors designed for human use. If you take that out of the equation, you can make them much more secure.

The trucks have cameras, though...

You can install cameras inside the truck in the corners as a safety measure, making any robbery something with visual evidence to help identify the robbers. Hell, maybe make the back of the truck require a RFID chip or something to get to the cargo. If you're going with fancy cameras and software, why not lock up the storage with fancier jazz, too?

Cameras, secure containers, etc don't make much a difference except time investment. Like, let's say I was to rob a bank the biggest factor isn't the size of the vault but how much time do I have to get the cash. If you catch one of these cars in the mountains somewhere... you would have lots of time to just brute force through without anyone noticing.

Trucks need flamethrowers.

jWILL253

Banned
Doesn't really matter what we in this thread want or don't want. I think the prevailing thought is that like it or not, this is coming. And yes we know it is because humans can't compete with robots. And that companies want to spend as little as possible on wages and maximize profit.

So I think it is more acceptance that it is coming and we have not prepared for that new reality.

It doesn't HAVE to be this way.

People just have to be willing to fight for something, something real. We just had an election where White people voted for a dickhead because they're scared of Blacks, Mexicans, Muslims & gay people. They'll fight for that hate, but won't fight to actually have a solution for the problems that we'll have in the near future. So now, we'll just accept a new technological shift that only benefits the few because capitalism, and the best solution we can come up with is "WE SHOULD MAKE THE GOVERNMENT PAY US", when half of the country voted for the exact opposite of that.

I'm just saying, maybe we should reserve our willingness to push technology ahead before we're ready for it.

leroidys

Depends on the type of load. Dry or wet foodstuffs, cement (dry, not concrete mixer), fuel, asphalt, stone, sand, etc are all unloaded by the driver. Not to mention they most likely have to navigate production plants or fuel stations, reverse around blind corners, tight alleys, etc.
Yeah, I was talking about pallets of dry goods rather than raw or industrial materials.

Slo

"Those lazy fucks didn't have enough bootstraps!" Once we can get past that as the prevailing sentiment, then I guess a conversation on UBI can happen. But I fear that is a long ways off...

Yes of course it's either HERP DERP BOOTSTRAPS or a universal income system. There can be no in between. /rolleyes

You'd think that given our very recent history people would learn their lesson against framing their political opinions in a hyperbolic, condescending way.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

Gaf isn't willing to pay taxes? Besides that, the economic gains go to one small group. So we tax the hell out of them to pay everyone else. There isn't really another solution. Eventually the corps will see the wisdom in paying 80+% taxes so they actually have someone to sell goods to

The rest of us gain a post-work society

sans_pants

avec_pénis

People just have to be willing to fight for something, something real. We just had an election where White people voted for a dickhead because they're scared of Blacks, Mexicans, Muslims & gay people. They'll fight for that hate, but won't fight to actually have a solution for the problems that we'll have in the near future. So now, we'll just accept a new technological shift that only benefits the few because capitalism, and the best solution we can come up with is "WE SHOULD MAKE THE GOVERNMENT PAY US", when half of the country voted for the exact opposite of that.

I'm just saying, maybe we should reserve our willingness to push technology ahead before we're ready for it.

While I agree that our society isn't prepared to not work, fighting to push back progress so we can keep these shit jobs isn't the way to go

Foffy

Banned
Yes of course it's either HERP DERP BOOTSTRAPS or a universal income system. There can be no in between. /rolleyes

You'd think that given our very recent history people would learn their lesson against framing their political opinions in a hyperbolic, condescending way.

If we're talking culturally, it may be that binary.

I think a UBI can only work if you do that and redo the education system as Andrew Ng has advocated. The problem is we think only the latter is a solution, but that's not enough. People lacking a floor is probably a bigger issue than the education problem, if you ask me.

A lot has to be done, but our cultural egos really is the first headache. Then the right issue can take place: devising policy. What present welfare programs, if any, stay when a basic income is devised? But you can't get talking policy until people "well, maybe we need it!"

Gaf isn't willing to pay taxes? Besides that, the economic gains go to one small group. So we tax the hell out of them to pay everyone else. There isn't really another solution. Eventually the corps will see the wisdom in paying 80+% taxes so they actually have someone to sell goods to

The rest of us gain a post-work society

Some of the elite have actually pleaded to governments to enact this. I recall one in Germany, and one in Canada. I think one America did, too. He called directly for public quantitative easing.

Not sure what the options are. The notion of halting technological progress isn't really realistic. As for the voters that voted in a snake oil salesman, yeah I agree. He isn't going to deliver on those job promises and he riled up a large amount of bigoted and racists voters. At this point, we'll have to see how they react when those manufacturing jobs don't come back and they realize that it actually wasn't the Mexicans, but the robots instead. With the noted education gap at higher education levels and the massive issues in the primary/secondary areas too, I don't have high confidence that the reaction will be rational.

There is going to be a pivotal moment in this country when capitalism gets pushed to the limit. I just don't think the answer to that is artificially stopping progress or somehow dictating that it goes to "improving" the masses' lives.

150 years ago, 50% of Americans were employed in farming. Today it is 1%.

As the article the map being quoted states, Secretary was the #1 job in most states until the PC came along and replaced a lot of secretarial work.

The interesting thing is that the "Truck Driver" category that dominates today includes tractor drivers if you read the fine print; i.e. people employed by jobs using that farm machinery that took Farmer off the map. And the Software Developers are around because of the PCs that led to the downfall of Secretary. You can see the cyclical nature.

People keep saying we'll find different jobs....but how? Those jobs can be automated, too.

do you even know how that would work. no store in the country is designed to receive goods from a truck from like a conveyor belt or something. it's just a big door on the wall that people use pallet jacks to lift and push things in and out.

Pallet Roombas? That shit would be easy. Each RF code has a designated space that the robot knows where to put it. Other robots then scan the bar codes and take the goods to the shelf.

It'll be faster than humans could ever hope to do it. In the future, there will be one guy manning a store of robots.

99Luffy

Banned
Alot of the drivers at my work see the writing on the wall.

Theyre buying up their own trucks(costs about $250k+) to become their own company.

Let's not take a random snarky comment made in this thread as how I approach people in actual life. I was just a sarcastic response in support of the poster's main post.

And being honest, we already see everyday how people on any type of government assistance are treated and perceived. Welfare and unemployment being the two major things. These people (more the ones on welfare) are seen as lazy, baby factories, drug addicts, and a dredge on society abusing the system. That is a prevailing thought among conservatives currently. So you can imagine the resistance you will see with a more robust and full-blown basic income system.

Of course there will be some room in the middle, but the prospects aren't exactly looking good or long-term given the current destruction of the middle class even now. Many jobs are already in the process of being automated, high levels of education in relatively specific fields are needed to try to even advance or now break in, lower level jobs are becoming automated, and there just are not enough jobs at the top to support the population.

If you discount infrastructure plans, which many conservatives do because they don't consider government programs as growing the economy, where can we go next? How can people be employed with current expectations 10-20 years+ into the future? What is another untapped massive employment project exists that won't be affected by automation? Will companies pay for a revised work schedule of 10-20 hours a week while maintaining salaries? They haven't even maintained salaries with inflation under current conditions for the last couple decades or so! They'be been massively depressed!

Yes in the past the economy has adapted, but at the same time, the rapid development of technology arguably allows for a better forecast of future realities than we may have had when agriculture gave way for industry and in many ways industry for white collar/office/service. Not to mention the basically exponential population growth and increased life expectancies.

I see no reason to slow/stop this natural progression in human evolution.
well this guy
donald-trump-is-escalating-his-war-of-words-with-hillary-clinton.jpg

is going to make sure that poor people will suffer as long as possible to serve his corporate interests

Drakeon

There's debate as to how accurate some of these classifications are but....

Most common jobs by state;

common-jobs-featured.png

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/02/05/382664837/map-the-most-common-job-in-every-state

Yepppp. This is both inevitable and will be really bad if the government doesn't prepare for these jobs to go poof (the Trump administration will not prepare for this in any way whatsoever). I think most of them go away in the next 5-10 years and thats a lot of jobs.

Not everything needs to be automated, but anything related to traffic and transportation does. It is the number one bottleneck against mobility, safety and cleaner cities.

And no, I ain't paying more taxes. I'll leave that to the white and the rich people, if they want.

Won't all these self driving cars still need a human being to ensure the right item is picked up/dropped off at the right facility and that people don't just rob you blind when a truck stops to refuel?

There's going to be a huge working class backlash in response, I can tell. Even bigger than the working class backlash we're seeing right now. 2016 would be just like any other year compared to the shitstorm that more automation might unleash.

Won't all these self driving cars still need a human being to ensure the right item is picked up/dropped off at the right facility and that people don't just rob you blind when a truck stops to refuel?

I'd imagine packages/pallets could be easily tagged. Then when it arrives to whatever location, the staff could have a RFID type key and the system would identify what would need to be unloaded. Which can be done automatically.

The truck would then do a self-assessment to ensure that all items were taken and that no items that should not have been taken are there. Then it locks up and moves on.

I'd imagine packages/pallets could be easily tagged. Then when it arrives to whatever location, the staff could have a RFID type key and the system would identify what would need to be unloaded. Which can be done automatically.

The truck would then do a self-assessment to ensure that all items were taken and that no items that should not have been taken are there. Then it locks up and moves on.

As someone who's worked in receiving and gone through the head ache of paper work and phone calls when shit is missing the technology and acceptance of said technology has a long way to go before this will be reasonable. Machines already make some of the pallets that got delivered to my store and frequently the truck driver and myself had to yank incorrect items off. Combine that with deliveries of unwieldy or oversized items and its a shit ton of variables that these robots would need to be able to account for and rectify. Until we see basically fully intelligent ai you're gonna need truck drivers for the foreseeable future at least for the pick up and delivery part of the job. The long distance drivers are probably the first to get boned by this.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yepppp. This is both inevitable and will be really bad if the government doesn't prepare for these jobs to go poof (the Trump administration will not prepare for this in any way whatsoever). I think most of them go away in the next 5-10 years and thats a lot of jobs.

I read an article awhile back that said the problem wasn't just that truck drivers would be out of a job but that there's an entire industry that depends on these drivers, things like motels and dinners, Etc. Automated drivers being commonplace would start a domino effect killing a lot of supplementary business, it was a fascinating but a bit of a depressing read. I don't think the US is gonna be ready for the coming changes, by the the time people wise up it's gonna be too late too prepare, they are gonna have to adapt or die, the coal industry situation doesn't give me much hope though.

I was under the assumption that there still needs to be a person inside the truck. Says so in the OP too. No ones gonna lose their job.

How much is a company willing to pay someone who's there for the exception to the norm, not the normal day to day actions of the job?

slit

No, the trucking work force is older. They will retire over the next two decades as more automated trucks come up and the infrastructure shifts.

The bigger impact in the long run will be on the rest stops and diners.

Somewhat but it's not like motorists can't pick up the slack. Having a self driving car doesn't mean you don't have to eat and shit anymore.

As someone who's worked in receiving and gone through the head ache of paper work and phone calls when shit is missing the technology and acceptance of said technology has a long way to go before this will be reasonable. Machines already make some of the pallets that got delivered to my store and frequently the truck driver and myself had to yank incorrect items off. Combine that with deliveries of unwieldy or oversized items and its a shit ton of variables that these robots would need to be able to account for and rectify. Until we see basically fully intelligent ai you're gonna need truck drivers for the foreseeable future at least for the pick up and delivery part of the job. The long distance drivers are probably the first to get boned by this.
Sure, it won't happen overnight or anything. But I think the writing is on the wall. Even if it takes the technology another 10 years to address some of your concerns.

But yes you're right more than likely. Long-distance are the first on the chopping block. An in-between for awhile will be what you are talking about - assisting with the last mile essentially. But then I'd think even that for the most part will go away too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Somewhat but it's not like motorists can't pick up the slack. Having a self driving car doesn't mean you don't have to eat and shit anymore.

Well it certainly means you don't have to stop driving to eat at least. So that means some vending machines and robo-McDonalds. Heck, one day cars will be recharged while moving, like fighter jets.

Opto

Banned
How much is a company willing to pay someone who's there for the exception to the norm, not the normal day to day actions of the job?

yeah, they're be huge pay cuts since they will be doing less labor. May still be above minimum wage but not much.

Then there's the independent truck drivers this will effect. They'd have to get their trucks equipped for automation and take the pay cut.

Foffy

Banned
well this guy

is going to make sure that poor people will suffer as long as possible to serve his corporate interests

Let's be fair here: neoliberalism would be slow as fuck to deal with this, so people would suffer anyway.

But with neonationalism, they'll just suffer in more deeper manners. Watch him propose the fucking paradox that is austerity.

slit

Well it certainly means you don't have to stop driving to eat at least. So that means some vending machines and robo-McDonalds.

True but a lot of people don't stop driving to eat now and not only that but people also don't want to be cramped up in a car while eating. As far as robo-McDonalds, that's coming regardless of what happens to truck drivers.

shaowebb

You're gonna take a self driving truck into COLOMBUS?!
Geez man...I can think of no city laid out as poorly as that one. Maybe Pittsburgh. You're definitely gonna be putting that robot to its limit. Doesn't help that Ohio is usually either flooded, detoured, or under construction all the time.

Allforce

You're gonna take a self driving truck into COLOMBUS?!
Geez man...I can think of no city laid out as poorly as that one. Maybe Pittsburgh. You're definitely gonna be putting that robot to its limit. Doesn't help that Ohio is usually either flooded, detoured, or under construction all the time.

?

I've lived here for 20 years, it's a big loop (270) with intersecting highways going east/west 70/670) and north/south (71/315). Super easy to get anywhere.

I have friends bitch about driving but I've found you can always get anywhere in Columbus within 30 minutes, even with the constant construction.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In a jobs cult, yes. But this is where the problem lies: not the aversion to technology, but the demand of human capital within a labor force.

It isn't healthy to lack a job in this climate, but the most toxic thing is not changing this imposition.
I don't think the jobs cult as you call it is something that produces this unhealthiness. I really believe that personal fulfillment comes from being able to do useful things for other people and for society in general - and automation is going to take that away from us. Eventually from all the people, it seems. I think at some point some artificial breaks might be put in place - as in there will be things that people just love doing too much, so people will do them, even if an automated system could technically do them better. You already have this kind of thing happening in some trades, such as watch making for example, where automatically assembled watches are not valued anywhere near as much as the manually crafted ones.

Foffy

Banned
I don't think the jobs cult as you call it is something that produces this unhealthiness. I really believe that personal fulfillment comes from being able to do useful things for other people and for society in general - and automation is going to take that away from us. Eventually from all the people, it seems. I think at some point some artificial breaks might be put in place - as in there will be things that people just love doing too much, so people will do them, even if an automated system could technically do them better. You already have this kind of thing happening in some trades, such as watch making for example.

Personal fulfillment is fine and all good. But when we have a model of full employment as a goal, it creates the social mantra "thou must work or else." I would argue personal fulfillment is at odds entirely with this model and value system.

The "or else" becomes a lived experience as the norms and ideas we hold onto too tightly get uprooted and changed without us letting go and changing with them. This is why we can call our culture a jobs cult, and that's me being gentle with the wording.

We allow people to suffer because of our ideas, first and foremost. How is it that productivity in America is so high, but so many now depend upon two jobs to sustain themselves? Surely there are many failures to the way we think here, which only technology forces us to really wake up to, because while we fight over sandcastles at the beach, here come some tsunamis.

Lois_Lane

Cameras, secure containers, etc don't make much a difference except time investment. Like, let's say I was to rob a bank the biggest factor isn't the size of the vault but how much time do I have to get the cash. If you catch one of these cars in the mountains somewhere... you would have lots of time to just brute force through without anyone noticing.

Trucks need flamethrowers.

Can't you do that now anyway? Blowout the tires, shoot the driver, and run off with the loot. Not like anyone's going to find a body in those mountains anyway or just tie the guy up and abandon him there.

Makai

The trucks have cameras, though...

You can install cameras inside the truck in the corners as a safety measure, making any robbery something with visual evidence to help identify the robbers. Hell, maybe make the back of the truck require a RFID chip or something to get to the cargo. If you're going with fancy cameras and software, why not lock up the storage with fancier jazz, too?
There's a bunch of hidden costs we don't even know about. I'll buy it when automated trains are common. They haven't even fully automated the stop announcer in NYC.

Sulik2

Amazing how fast self driving tech is moving, that's a lot of retrenching for truck drivers coming up though.... How many truckies are there in USA!?

Within ten years every commercial vehicle on the road will be self driving. It makes too much economic sense to not go all in on it as businesses. Countries are not prepared for the mass joblessness the service and transportation automation revolutions that are about to explode will cause.

Within ten years every commercial vehicle on the road will be self driving. It makes too much economic sense to not go all in on it as businesses. Countries are not prepared for the mass joblessness the service and transportation automation revolutions that are about to explode will cause.

Imagine the insurance savings for these companies. Imagine what it'll do to the insurance industry.

Makai

There's a lot of stuff that we have the full technological and financial ability to automate, but we just don'. Ten years is extraordinarily optimistic.

Phased

People keep saying we'll find different jobs....but how? Those jobs can be automated, too.

Learn a trade. Virtually any local community college offers courses and I'm sure you can find places outside of that.

Skilled labor such as plumbers, electricians and anything else in that area are in high demand because nobody wants to do it. Maybe one day a robot will be able to wire a house or install a water heater/furnace including the piping from scratch but that's still a long ways off.

Hell most of these jobs require an apprenticeship period which is on the job and you get paid for it. The pay is also really good.

These jobs are looked down on by people big time, yet every single house needs skilled labor to maintain in most cases. The demand is there. The jobs are there.

shaowebb

?

I've lived here for 20 years, it's a big loop (270) with intersecting highways going east/west 70/670) and north/south (71/315). Super easy to get anywhere.

I have friends bitch about driving but I've found you can always get anywhere in Columbus within 30 minutes, even with the constant construction.

If you lived there for 20 years then maybe it makes sense to YOU by now. However, most folks dont find it sane that if you travel East on one road that it suddenly starts saying it is now North without changing lanes or exiting. Most folks dont like a road with 4 to 6 lanes to suddenly become several different roads and for them to be painted on the highway...had to shuffle my way into the proper lane just to stay on the road I was on lest I end up on some US route to nowhere at random because all the lanes were turning into different roads and none had exits...they just suddenly changed names and eventually found exits or branches further on. Also no one finds it sensible that if you travel east and you missed and exit that you simply dont just travel west on that road to get back to where you are going. Tried that once and the road NEVER went back to where I came from on the west bound lane. Instead it carried me far from my exit and attempted to send me to another city. No backtracking and no sense of sensible organisation of roads is far from good.

99Luffy

Banned
10 years still sounds really optimistic to me. Until now theyve still been doing their tests in perfect conditions. Alot of truck trips arent 30 mile stretches on a single road from one city to another. Its 200+ miles with diesel stops in tiny little villages. Also, shitty parking. Its gonna be like teaching a computer to parallel park x100. I wonder if Otto has even begun to teach the sensors to see obscure loading bays.

I can see things like mine trips being fully automated, that seems pretty straightforward. For everything else there will probably still be a driver present and automation will be a cruise control button.

Azih

Speaking as a very well compensated software developer I find it hard to believe that an AI won't eventually do a better job of coding than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom