• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Self-driving trucks will hit the road in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

It's going to take a long, long time before companies will ship tens of thousands of dollars without any human involvement.

UY4rnrY.gif

I just have to stop and and recognize that I have yet to see a thread were there is no fitting Simpsons reference.

Why wouldn't that be mechanised too?

do you even know how that would work. no store in the country is designed to receive goods from a truck from like a conveyor belt or something. it's just a big door on the wall that people use pallet jacks to lift and push things in and out.

Alienfan

Driver still needs to be in the truck to be there for the transfer of goods. I doubt most US businesses will be OK with receiving freight from an unmanned vehicle. Perhaps long-haul trucks can be unmanned but they'd probably transfer to a manned truck at a destination hub for final leg delivery.

I think that's the general plan for now. Automated trucks for long haul, while a driver takes control once the Truck reaches the city.

danm999

do you even know how that would work. no store in the country is designed to receive goods from a truck from like a conveyor belt or something. it's just a big door on the wall that people use pallet jacks to lift and push things in and out.

Initially of course not, but I don't see why huge swathes of infrastructure wouldn't be designed in the next few decades to reduce or eliminate human involvement.

There's a commercial imperative here that isn't going to go away.

soco

Driver still needs to be in the truck to be there for the transfer of goods. I doubt most US businesses will be OK with receiving freight from an unmanned vehicle. Perhaps long-haul trucks can be unmanned but they'd probably transfer to a manned truck at a destination hub for final leg delivery.

Yeah i'm curious how this will all work. Even knowing that a truck was unmanned for some portion could be a huge security hurdle for port operations. I'm guessing things like UPS and such might be a little less of an issue.

I also wonder if some would-be criminals would feel less worry for stopping or crashing bigger trucks, knowing no one is inside.

Kickz

The ones who need it most will cry "NO HANDOUTS!"

It scares the shit out of me that cultural dogma will only make this serious issue degrees worse.

Well a populist who wants protectionist trade policies just won the election as a Republican so I think that bootstrap s wing of the party may be dead or homeless.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah i'm curious how this will all work. Even knowing that a truck was unmanned for some portion could be a huge security hurdle for port operations. I'm guessing things like UPS and such might be a little less of an issue.

I also wonder if some would-be criminals would feel less worry for stopping or crashing bigger trucks, knowing no one is inside.

Depends on what's being transferred.

This raises concerns and interesting questions regarding carrier drones. I believe these are planned to be used to transfer items to warehouses, but I suppose trucks would be use for en masse transfers.

Well a populist who wants protectionist trade policies just won the election as a Republican so I think that bootstrap s wing of the party may be dead or homeless.

They may let pride win. A lot of these people in rural America truly feel the wealthier people deserve better healthcare because of the money they make...

You can easily imagine that being warped to having a home, paying for expenses, living a dignified baseline life, etc.

Because some companies believe its more safe for a computer to drive that a human. But a drivers jobs entails WAY more than just bringing a shipment in.

Who's gonna load/unload freight?
Who's gonna make sure the customer loads/unloads the correct freight?
Who's gonna take an exception if needed?
What happens it their is a hazmat spill during delivery on the road?
What if the customer has a question?
If freight becomes loose during delivery is the truck gonna clean it up?
What happens if the system glitches with time critical freight and no ones in the truck?
Who's gonna make sure the customer isnt loading in damaged freight that will come back as an exception to us.
Who's gonna fill the gas tank for those long hauls?

And so on...

All this falls on the driver because the driver is there. Once the driver is gone, and there is a huge incentive to get rid of the driver, all these will be figured out as necessity. And having a human won't be the answer.

Coolluck

There really is a Simpsons gif for everything huh?

Not the best evidence considering that it's posted in every self-driving car thread.

On-topic, I applaud this and hope we continue speeding in this direction so that people are forced to confront the live-to-work lifestyle earlier.

alternade

I don't. What's the joke?

I can't help but chuckle a bit at this accelerating so fast. Trump is going to have a lot of explaining to do when rural America starts feeling the impact of this if it keeps up. I'm all for a driverless future. It's a task that I personally will be glad to shed off.

Anecdotally, a number of blue collar Trump supporters I saw interviewed during the election seemed very pro boostrap. It's just that in their mind they had earned these manufacturing jobs, and standing up to the crooked elites and immigrants who were making the jobs go away was simply right and just and completely different from giving lazy people handouts.

This isn't a good reason to not eliminate a job. If we followed this logic we'd be paying millions of dudes to sharpen sticks and throw them at forest animals.
I agree but let's not pretend like this won't have a huge impact on lower class America and that it won't fuck up a lot of people's lives.

Slo

Anecdotally, a number of blue collar Trump supporters I saw interviewed during the election seemed very pro boostrap. It's just that in their mind they had earned these manufacturing jobs, and sanding up to the crooked elite and immigrants who were making the jobs go away was simply right and just and completely different from giving lazy people handouts.

Anecdotally, my experience has been the same.

danm999

I agree but let's not pretend like this won't have a huge impact on lower class America and that it won't fuck up a lot of people's lives.

It's going to be brutal.

Millions of people being constantly shuffled around to whatever scraps of labor still need human involvement, probably facing deteriorating conditions and pay, as well as underemployment along the way.

Naudi

Banned
I work somewhere that has trucks in and out all the time, sometimes picking up here in Oregon and taking it to Alabama. How long till that's automated? I'm guessing a very long time cause who would secure the load and make sure the goods are traveling without damage. Still need a person in the cab that's knowledgeable. Robots creep me out lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you hear that, that rumbling in the distance? The last whispered gasps of the working man?

That's the sound of Trump being reelected.

If they lose their job under Trump, they won't blame Trump?

LowerLevel

Can't see an auto driving truck delivering oil to dwellings tbh. Or certain aspects of my own dsd job. Long distance highway deliveries, sure. Not smaller, local drops though... Should be interesting however.

leroidys

Some do. Depends on the job.
As far as actually unloading pallets? AFAIK the vaaast majority don't, except maybe in cases where the truck, freight & warehouse are all owned by the same company.
I work somewhere that has trucks in and out all the time, sometimes picking up here in Oregon and taking it to Alabama. How long till that's automated? I'm guessing a very long time cause who would secure the load and make sure the goods are traveling without damage. Still need a person in the cab that's knowledgeable. Robots creep me out lol
Companies are going to look at cost/benefit. If the benefit of eliminating employees is greater than the cost of 1% more (or whatever) damaged goods, incorrect deliveries, etc, than they will stool choose driver automation.

Slo

Can't see an auto driving truck delivering oil to dwellings tbh. Or certain aspects of my own dsd job. Long distance highway deliveries, sure. Not smaller, local drops though... Should be interesting however.

This is probably true. Actual customer delivery will take longer to eliminate than just transporting a trailer between two hubs.

Like I said before, good luck to future senators/representatives/presidents in 2030 and beyond who have to deal with the upcoming automation train.

Kenai

Hmm...my bf is already in IT and has been scouted by Uber for winning that goofy "game' they ask you to play sometimes. So he's probably set.

is the personal protection/guard type, the field medic/scientist type or wasteland shooter/survivalist type the most complementary skillset for aiding him? I can do any of the three but I gotta start now. 20 years from now has Fallout prequel written all over it.

suaveric

I know you jest, but that actually that brings up a good point. Municipalities will loose lots of money from lack of traffic fines. A lot plan their annual budgets around it.

Outside of big cities, think about what the police and firemen do. It's mostly traffic related. The ripple effect on jobs because of driverless vechicals is going to be bananas.

Foffy

Banned
Not having a job isn't very healthy either.

In a jobs cult, yes. But this is where the problem lies: not the aversion to technology, but the demand of human capital within a labor force.

It isn't healthy to lack a job in this climate, but the most toxic thing is not changing this imposition. Until that is handled with more compassion and understanding of the future of work being almost innately precarious, we're fucked.

That conversion is strangely lacking in America. Even the poverty angle for a UBI is dodged.

I wonder how easy they will be to rob. Like, obviously the trucks are going to be programmed to not crash so if you shoot the tire out, you essentially make it pull over, and you rob the thing as it signals for assistance.

Truck drivers don't do this part.
Depends on the type of load. Dry or wet foodstuffs, cement (dry, not concrete mixer), fuel, asphalt, stone, sand, etc are all unloaded by the driver. Not to mention they most likely have to navigate production plants or fuel stations, reverse around blind corners, tight alleys, etc.

In a jobs cult, yes. But this is where the problem lies: not the aversion to technology, but the demand of human capital within a labor force.

It isn't healthy to lack a job in this climate, but the most toxic thing is not changing this imposition. Until that is handled with more compassion and understanding of the future of work being almost innately precarious, we're fucked.

That conversion is strangely lacking in America. Even the poverty angle for a UBI is dodged.

"Those lazy fucks didn't have enough bootstraps!" Once we can get past that as the prevailing sentiment, then I guess a conversation on UBI can happen. But I fear that is a long ways off...

I wonder how easy they will be to rob. Like, obviously the trucks are going to be programmed to not crash so if you shoot the tire out, you essentially make it pull over, and you rob the thing as it signals for assistance.
The trailers likely would still be locked as they are now and wired with technology for observation, tracking, etc.

Depends on the type of load. Dry or wet foodstuffs, cement (dry, not concrete mixer), fuel, asphalt, stone, sand, etc are all unloaded by the driver. Not to mention they most likely have to navigate production plants or fuel stations, reverse around blind corners, tight alleys, etc.

I would think sensors can handle all of that. Ultimately you're dealing with solid obstacles which will define available pathways and I'd assume the system would be able to account for the position of the entire tractor trailer and dimensions, etc.

Those items are controlled by a driver, but could also be controlled automatically or based on commands that staff on site give. After all it's their construction site or whatever, so they get control of where items are unloaded.

Edit: Whoops DP. Whatever.

I imagine not more so than a truck driver now? If the vehicle is stopped in an unplanned manner, in sure authorities will be called. And most trucks now have beds that are fairly easy to break into because of doors designed for human use. If you take that out of the equation, you can make them much more secure.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I know you jest, but that actually that brings up a good point. Municipalities will loose lots of money from lack of traffic fines. A lot plan their annual budgets around it.

Things are going to massively shift in the next decade. We need leaders equipped to handle it. We got trump

Foffy

Banned

The trucks have cameras, though...

You can install cameras inside the truck in the corners as a safety measure, making any robbery something with visual evidence to help identify the robbers. Hell, maybe make the back of the truck require a RFID chip or something to get to the cargo. If you're going with fancy cameras and software, why not lock up the storage with fancier jazz, too?

Pretty much the main reason people were pushing for a universal income. The top job market in the US is about to be replaced by robots and no one is doing anything to alleviate the problem.
They are still going to need people in the driver seat for the foseeable future, but yeah better to get started on that shit sooner rather than later.

The trucks have cameras, though...

You can install cameras inside the truck in the corners as a safety measure, making any robbery something with visual evidence to help identify the robbers. Hell, maybe make the back of the truck require a RFID chip or something to get to the cargo. If you're going with fancy cameras and software, why not lock up the storage with fancier jazz, too?

Actually makes sense. The trucking company could send RFID "keys" to their clients that the management/receiving staff would have on them on the truck arrives. That info would automatically pull what shipment was supposed to be delivered that day, unlock the truck, and have automated forklifts unload the cargo where the store staff would be able to direct. Lift goes back in, ensures no other cargo was taken, and truck leaves for the next delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom