• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2016 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

mhCqB9Sl.png

It’s time for Senbatsu!

Welcome to the NeoGAF discussion thread for Senbatsu 2016, the Japan National High School Invitational Baseball Championship (Spring Koshien). (The thread for Summer Koshien 2015 is here.)

Games start tonight and will be streamed live at MBS’ Senbatsu site (http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/live).

The National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament of Japan (referred to in shorthand as “Spring Koshien” because it takes place at Koshien Stadium) is an annual high school baseball tournament organized by the Japanese national high school baseball federation in partnership with Mainichi Shinbun. Unlike the Summer Koshien, where all the competitors are the winners of their respective regional tournaments, the Spring Invitational, as the name implies, is an invitational tournament. In practice, since the bulk of the invites go to winners of fall regionals, getting to Senbatsu is a lot like getting to Summer Koshien: just win. But unlike the summer tournament, there are a few additional ways to get an invite. The winner of the fall Meiji Jingu tournament gets an automatic invitation (and as a result, another team from the winner’s regional tournament will get an invitation). Additionally, the federation will invite two more teams from the Kanto/Tokyo area and the Chugoku/Shikoku region. Finally, the federation extends invitations to so called “21st Century Schools” - schools that historically are not necessarily competitive, but the federation wants to give a chance to see what the nationals are like. The 21st Century School program is intended to encourage the development of baseball programs around the nation at a time when the sport is dominated by a few select private schools.

The tournament was founded in 1924 and this year is the 88th tournament.

As I said back in the summer, the Japanese baseball nationals are pretty much the hypest thing ever. It’s a single elimination tourney consisting of second and third year players (it takes place right before the beginning of the new school year, so first year players do not join the team until after Senbatsu).

Every player on the field has been dreaming of getting to this stage and as a result the games are high drama with lots of emotion. Plus you’re pretty much guaranteed to see players who will be drafted out of high school to play pro ball in Japan and eventually make it to the US (like current Yankee ace Masahiro Tanaka). Last year’s NPB All Star Game featured several guys who were at Koshien only a few years ago - guys like Otani, Fujinami, and monster rookie Tomoya Mori.

However, unlike the Summer Tournament, here we’re really getting the first chance to see what some of these guys can do on the national stage. There are a few players I have my eye on and I’ll try to call them out below.

JzQLm4Wl.png

The first round games begin today at 8:00pm Eastern. In the first few rounds, there are three games per day. You can see the full schedule here (start times are local Japan time).

You can watch all the games at MBS’ Senbatsu site: http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/live/

Mainichi Shinbun also has Senbatsu apps on the Google and iOS stores.

If you want to watch a full game replay, go to:

http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/2016/schedule/

Then click the game you want and you'll be taken to a page with all the videos from the game. The last video is the full game replay (look for フルバージョン ("full version")).

rdnoxoDl.png

YakyuBaka.com will have full schedules, results, and stats for the tournament. Schedules are available here at YakyuBaka: http://yakyubaka.com/2016/03/11/3112016-88th-spring-koshien-schedule/

Goroshigeno.blogspot.com is the blogging site for @eigokokoyakyu, where you can find a ton of preview information, and he generally does live blogs of all the games. Rosters for all teams are here from Goroshigeno: https://goo.gl/HjDyGo

The broadcasts will be in Japanese, but it’s not too hard to follow.

When you’re looking at stats, some quick things you can look for:

打率 = batting average
打点 = RBI
本塁打 (likely abbreviated in stat lines as 本) = home run
防御率 = ERA
2年 or 3年 = second year or third year student

Some things you’ll hear during the broadcasts:

“Sanshin” = strikeout
“Karaburi sanshin” = swinging strikeout
“Tsu base” = two base, e.g. double
“Haitaa!” = home run call, it’s gone
“Douten runnaa” = tying runner on base
“Straighto” or “massugu straighto” = fastball
“Kaabu” = curveball
“Forku” = forkball
“Slidaa” = slider

For position players the broadcasts tend to use equivalents to the US terms rather than the native Japanese, so I won’t list those because it’s pretty easy, like “sentaa” is the Center Fielder and “shorto” is the Shortstop.

if you want to participate on twitter, use the hashtags #高校野球 (high school baseball), #センバツ (Senbatsu) and #甲子園 (Koshien).

xCjjQkjl.png

Here are the few schools I have my eye on this year:

Tsuruga Kehi. They won Senbatsu last year with the arm and bat of their ace Shota Hiranuma (drafted as an infielder in the fourth round by the Nippon Ham Fighters last fall). New ace Souchiro Yamazaki throws around 145 kmh with a slider and curve, and pitched well at the Meiji Jingu tournament, suffering a heartbreaking loss in the final game. Offense is solid but not quite as good at Osaka Toin. Left fielder Atsuya Hoshimoto and SS/Captain Yuuki Hayashinaka power the offense. Tsuruga Kehi’s first game is set for day 6 (Thursday night in the US), the last day of the first round.

zN39XHvm.png

Tsuruga Kehi ace Souchiro Yamazaki

Osaka Toin. The evil empire and clear favorite to win Senbatsu. They also have the dorkiest hats in high school baseball. Osaka Toin is a private school in Osaka that came to prominence over a decade, eclipsing rival PL Gakuen. Like PL Gakuen was for decades, Osaka Toin is now a factory generating future NPB stars. Where to focus on their lineup? First baseman Kouki Furutera, third baseman Kazuto Yoshizawa and shortstop Yuuto Nakayama all bring power. Ace Yuuki Takayama does give up some walks but that’s about it. Osaka Toin’s first game will be on day 4 (Tuesday night in the US).

eHN1yLM.png

Osaka Toin ace Yuuki Takayama

Kanto Dai-ichi. One of the most entertaining teams from 2015 Summer Koshien is back, but without phenom Louis Okoe - who was drafted in the first round by the Rakuten Golden Eagles and already pegged as a potential rookie of the year. Their pitching is average; ace Kaito Kawai holding things down. The lineup doesn’t have the power hitting that Tsuruga Kehi and Osaka Toin have, but it does have speed. Eigo Miyamoto steps into center field to replace the departed Okoe and it looks like he’s got the speed to do it. Their first game is Day 3 (Monday night in US).

SczZuF8.png

Kanto Dai-ichi speedster Eigo Miyamoto

Akashi Sho. Called the “hottest team” going into Senbatsu by Hoichi’s high school baseball magazine, this is Akashi Sho’s first ever appearance at Senbatsu and they have their work cut out for them. Their ace is Sou Yoshitaka who comes in sporting a 0.91 ERA (though as Goroshigeno notes, their competition has been so-so). Their big hitter is first baseman Shota Konishi, a third year right handed batter who hits for power and average. Unfortunately, the rest of the lineup isn’t as strong. Akashi Sho’s first game will be on Day 3 (Monday night in the US).

uzCYeXU.png

Akashi Sho ace Sou Yoshitaka

I’ll be rooting for Tsuruga Kehi and Sapporo Dai-Ichi, but expecting that Sapporo will be out after the first round barring a miracle.

Goroshigeno has previews for the first round matchups here: http://goroshigeno.blogspot.com/2016/03/draw-rosters-and-matchup-previews.html

And rankings here: http://goroshigeno.blogspot.com/2016/03/88th-senbatsu-revised-rankings.html

------------

Daily Wrapups

Links to any daily wrapups will be added.

Beckx

All MBS, unfortunately.

Asahi Shinbun runs an awesome site for the summer tournament, with updating stat information in real time. The MBS site for spring is very bare bones in comparison.

I'll put up post with the three games tonight around 7:30.

Monumma

How am I supposed to be entertained without Waseda's Kiyomiya? This senbatsu will be horrible.

Hyped as hell, let's do this.

Monumma

The opening is being streamed here. According to goroshigeno they changed the url from last year, don't know if the link in OP will work.

Beckx

Today's games with goroshigeno's preview notes:

1-1 Fukui Ko Dai Fukui 福井工大福井 v Chiben Gakuen 智弁学園

Goroshigeno: "With grades as low as these are, it's a crap shoot who gets the advantage here. Murakami for Chiben Gakuen is probably better than his counterpart Tanaka and the offense is slightly better for Chiben Gakuen as well, so perhaps the scales tip slightly in their favor."

1-2 Joso Gakuin 常総学院 v Kagoshima Jitsu 鹿児島実

Goroshigeno: "Jyousou Gakuin will certainly have the advantage on the mound as ace Suzuki should take the hill to give his team a good start. He will probably give Kajitsu their toughest test yet. And ace Maruyama doesn't get to ease into Koushien. Jyousou should have the advantage in the matinee game."

1-3 Kiryu Daiichi 桐生第一 v Shiga Gakuen 滋賀学園

Goroshigeno: "Normally you'd think that Kiryuu Dai-ichi would be the favorite based upon brand name, but Shiga Gakuen has proven their mettle during the aki taikai. Kiryuu Dai-ichi is still untested, so it's possible that their grades are slightly understated, especially with respect to ace Uchiike. Shiga Gakuen's offense though should prove a good test."

Monumma

Let's go!

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2015/12/previewing-projected-field-fukui-koudai.html

goroshigeno said:
Fukui Koudai Fukui - Pitching C-, Offense D+
The gap between Tsuruga Kehi and Fukui Koudai Fukui are basically night and day. They were completely outmatched in both of their matchups, outside of ace Tanaka the bullpen is unusable and Tanaka himself doesn't impress. Finally the offense hitting sub 0.300 against sub-par competition is the final nail in the coffin.

http://goroshigeno.blogspot.it/2016/01/previewing-projected-field-chiben.html

goroshigeno said:
Chiben Gakuen - Pitching C, Offense C-
Given the downgrades to the last 2 teams, Chiben Gakuen has to be downgraded based upon their numbers. Weak competition until Osaka Touin, but at least ace Murakami limits walks. Offensively, there are already holes in the lineup which will become chasms when they get to Koushien.

Kawl_USC

Needs to throw a strike here.

And just like that has the batter in a tight spot.

Wow, can't believe they got out of that jam.

Arzehn

Bit OT, but why is there such a big English resource for this tournament where I feel like NPB has less English coverage/discussion. For example there's no NPB threads on GAF, but this has some interest (previous one was 18 pages).
Just curious.

Beckx

Murakami is suuper lucky that went to the third baseman

Cd9I208WIAAn0SD.jpg

Bit OT, but why is there such a big English resource for this tournament where I feel like NPB has less English coverage. For example there's no NPB threads on GAF, but this has some interest (previous one was 18 pages).
Just curious.

I'm a huge NPB fan, but I don't know if there's enough NPB interest on GAF to keep a thread running.

There are ton of English NPB resources, YakyuBaka is the best, plus NPB reddit, the Japan Baseball Weekly podcast, and twitter accounts @JBWPodcast, @JCoskrey, @Jballallen.

The Pacific League streaming service is open to US subscribers, too.

Monumma

given where he placed that pitch, he shouldn't have, man.

Not only that one, he also left a couple of curves in the middle of the plate.

Meanwhile Tanaka has a beautiful little vertical curve (slider?) that fall of the plate and while i write this he get smashed from a fastball he left up in the zone himself. 1-0, Fukumoto with the RBI.

and reading what you guys say it's a curve, cool.

Arzehn

I'm a huge NPB fan, but I don't know if there's enough NPB interest on GAF to keep a thread running.

There are ton of English NPB resources, YakyuBaka is the best, plus NPB reddit, the Japan Baseball Weekly podcast, and twitter accounts @JBWPodcast, @JCoskrey, @Jballallen.

The Pacific League streaming service is open to US subscribers, too.

Yeah, I wonder if having a official NPB English commentator and stream would go a long way in building a fanbase outside of Japan. Won't happen but would be pretty cool.

Kawl_USC

Not only that one, he also left a couple of curves in the middle of the plate.

Meanwhile Tanaka has a beautiful little vertical curve (slider?) that fall of the plate and while i write this he get smashed from a fastball he left up in the zone himself. 1-0, Asari with the RBI.

Yea, and if that hit hadn't been right at the 3rd baseman the runner would have been able to beat it out.

I think this pitcher looks sharper than the top of the inning but he's down 2-0 unfortunately. That's a pretty nasty breaking pitch he has.

Beckx

the announcers are just calling it breaking ball (henkakyuu 変化球), i think that 12-6 one is a curve but i can be wrong (a lot).

Yeah, I wonder if having a official NPB English commentator and stream would go a long way in building a fanbase outside of Japan. Won't happen but would be pretty cool.

Pacific League is pretty forward thinking...something they might try it. For now if you can get One World Sports you can get Giants home games on cable with english commentary.

Lucumo

Japanese commentary > everything else, even though I can't completely understand it.

But you are right, an English commentator would help with the casual audience.

Kawl_USC

Great at bat there working out of an 0-2 count for an infield hit. That was the lead off batter again wasn't it?

Lol. The breaks they keep getting.

Slowly developing backstories for the coaches in my head; the older one is 30,000 deep in debt! It's his last chance to save his wife of 35 years' legs!

Kawl_USC

So for those in the know, how likely are you to be seeing the future stars of Japan's league in some of these games?

Beckx

man, i think Tanaka has like three different breaking pitches.

So for those in the know, how likely are you to be seeing the future stars of Japan's league in some of these games?

not this game (though you never know, some could go to college and from there to NPB). in some of the later games, absolutely. Osaka Toin regularly produces NPB stars. Tsuruga Kehi and Kanto Dai-ichi both had players drafted last fall (look up the human highlight reel named Louis Okoe, now with Rakuten). The starting pitchers from Summer were both drafted, one in the first round (and his back up was drafted too, that team was stacked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom