• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Kusagari

Really, the most interesting thing with no numbers would be to see how DR2 PS3 compared to the 360 version. They even took that away from us.

There's no point. These are worthless.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
Really? Those two games are pretty surprising to me.
For all we know each version of Spider-man could have done 25k. Its inclusion is by virtue of its release on so many platforms. Under this format Guitar Hero, among other releases, will likely chart much higher.

Dorrin

Mama Robotnik said:
Too little data to gif.

Don't let us down only the power of the gif can make this thread deliver. How about TNG Data uncovers the cloaked romulan warbirds when he was temporary captain. You can have Data be "GAF" and the asshole first officer be the NPD group.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It sucks because I had the perfect GIF to offer up this month.

successhuvf.gif

360 would be Roger, PS3 could be Pete Campbell, Wii could be Peggy, etc etc. What a waste.

Sean

Banned
Empty said:
I don't know whether to be enthused that Other M managed to beat the combined sku's of MW2 and actually charted, or depressed that it got beaten by a PSP game.

It's a lot easier to make it on the top 10 list now with the combined SKU's reporting - if this were past NPD's, Madden and Dead Rising 2 alone would've taken up half the top 10 chart.

lordoftherink said:
For all we know each version of Spider-man could have done 25k. It's inclusion is by virtue of it's release on so many platforms. Under this format Guitar Hero, among other releases, will likely chart much higher.

Very true. Screw this new system. We have so little to argue over : /

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The_Technomancer said:
Wow, impressed by Kingdom Hearts and Metroid.
How can you be impressed when you have almost no idea what the numbers are?

This is September for Japan

01. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 3,4M
02. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Bandai Namco)
03. [PSP] Black Leopard: A New Tale of Yakuza (Sega)
04. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Ailu Village (Capcom)
06. [PS3] Front Mission: Evolved (Square Enix)
07. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 (Konami)
08. [WII] Metroid: Other M (Nintendo)
09. [PSP] Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault (Bandai Namco)
10. [360] Halo: Reach (Microsoft Game Studios)

Try to guess the sales for Metroid, or even better the sales for 2-10.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Pretty disappointing that Halo couldn't pick up a few extra sales with a much larger install base. Probably has a lot to do with the rise of the CoD franchise.

Still makes it either the 2nd or 3rd highest single SKU launch month (depends if it is higher or lower than Halo 3).

So if we assume the Wii sold about the same as last month, how close would the year to date be?

Majine

Banned
Zachack said:
We never would have had the numbers because we never got PC data in the past.
They usually mentioned big PC releases tho.

"Oh, and Starcraft 2 released and outsold anything on a console this month". Kinda.

jetjevons said:
Well congrats to MS for keeping the 360 and Halo brand strong.

Has a prequel to a multi-million selling franchise ever done so well? (difficulty: No Zelda).
Moving goal post much? The game sold great and all, but I don't think Microsoft was hoping for Reach to sell less than Halo 3 over the same period of time. No way. And let's see if Reach got the legs Halo 3 or MW2 did. Wait, no, we probably won't see will we? Thanks NPD.

duckroll said:
Think about it this way. The five titles above BbS are all combined sales. Given the titles involved, I would say there's a very good chance that most of the individual releases on each platform for those games also outsold BbS. Which is to say, the only reason why BbS charted is because we're getting a list of combined SKUs now with no numbers.

I'm surprised this needs to be explained

Sad to see what public NPD data has now become.

duckroll

Yeah I think NPD threads are not really going to be the same anymore. It's really hard to discuss anything without real numbers. :/

Zachack

Majine said:
They usually mentioned big PC releases tho.

"Oh, and Starcraft 2 released and outsold anything on a console this month". Kinda.
I don't recall that being the case for most PC games. Certainly not something like DR2. I'm guessing Fallout NV will greatly benefit from the combined shift. Mentions of Starcraft 2 are more of a way of explaining why the console charts appeared to be more dire than normal.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
Think about it this way. The five titles above BbS are all combined sales. Given the titles involved, I would say there's a very good chance that most of the individual releases on each platform for those games also outsold BbS. Which is to say, the only reason why BbS charted is because we're getting a list of combined SKUs now with no numbers.

I don't see it. The only way that would work is if one of the PS2 versions for the sports games made it to the top 10. That would only be possible with Madden, but Madden 11 PS2 didn't chart in last month's top 10.

So I think Kingdom Hearts hit the top ten, but only slot 9 or 10.

Zachack said:
I don't recall that being the case for most PC games. Certainly not something like DR2. I'm guessing Fallout NV will greatly benefit from the combined shift. Mentions of Starcraft 2 are more of a way of explaining why the console charts appeared to be more dire than normal.
Most Pc Games don't sell well enough to be mentioned. No news is bad news... doesn't matter the platform or the business for that matter. Why do you think they stopped giving out PC data? Because it stopped being an incentive and started to be a disincentive. Same thing is going on now for consoles. If times were great, then people would love to gloat and get investors salivating and get gamers anticipating and feeling "out of the loop" by not buying the games everyone apparently is playing. But times have changed and we're in damage-control mode.

Giolon

This is so boring. It's like they just said

"Xbox sold 460,000. Everybody else sold some stuff."

"These games sold more copies than the rest. How many? I dunno. A lot."

Peff

AniHawk said:
I don't see it. The only way that would work is if one of the PS2 versions for the sports games made it to the top 10. That would only be possible with Madden, but Madden 11 PS2 didn't chart in last month's top 10.

So I think Kingdom Hearts hit the top ten, but only slot 9 or 10.

Definitely, it could even be a bit higher than that since it's possible that FIFA wouldn't have charted individually. but without numbers who knows :-/

Top Bottom