• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV: Premium Costumes

CD'S BAR

With them making all characters earnable with FM it's not really surprising that they jack up the prices of the stuff you can only buy with Zenny. Gotta make their money somewhere.

Is it not still absurdly difficult to unlock the dlc characters for free? Like 2k wins per month or something like that?

I mean, there's two points of view.

Either capcom doesn't understand what the game industry considers to be an actual season pass, which is likely, or this is just the worst season pass on the market. ::SHRUG::

This isn't a season pass. It's an accelerator.

What are you talking about?!

Mortal Kombat did the exact same thing. A season pass with extra costumes you had to buy separately. What are you accelerating? You are actually getting mad about poor word usage even though they have absolutely explained what is in the season pass. It's not called the ALL DLC pass. Whatever they constitute a season of content is a season.

I mean, there's two points of view.

Either capcom doesn't understand what the game industry considers to be an actual season pass, which is likely, or this is just the worst season pass on the market. ::SHRUG::

This isn't a season pass. It's an accelerator.
It's basically a Season 1 character bundle. Using Season Pass wasn't very smart I agree.

Deadstar

Internet fixed that Ken:

b3eb1aa173.jpg

I wish the in game Ken looked like this. Why did they change his design? It's terrible.

Is it not still absurdly difficult to unlock the dlc characters for free? Like 2k wins per month or something like that?

Depends how much FM you get for the daily challenges when they eventually arrive. But when you do all the single player content you're looking at nearly 3 characters worth of FM and more when the story mode launches in June.

There are multiple other ways to earn FM through Story, Survival, leveling up characters, trails, and demonstrations. People already hitting around 500k FM and the first character isn't even out yet.

Mesoian

Good thing they are NOT included in the season pass then.

I'm at work so I can't check but how much do you normally save from SPs? Like how much is Fallout 4's versus buying everything piece meal. How much was MKX KP1?

KP1 was/is 30

KP2 was/is 20

XL pack is 25 (which is KP1+2 if you didn't buy XL)

mkxl-info.png

Something like that. You get 1K FM every time you level up so if you have a lot of character variety in your repertoire it might be a little faster but it's still a lot.

SP content gets you like ~600K tho if I'm not mistaken

Skilletor

I've got almost 400k FM from survival and playing less than 100 matches in ranked (don't have that achievement yet). Doing all of the trials earned me almost enough to buy another character.

Something like that. You get 1K FM every time you level up so if you have a lot of character variety in your repertoire it might be a little faster but it's still a lot.

SP content gets you like ~600K tho if I'm not mistaken

Completing Story mode, Easy and Normal survival with every character, Trials and Demonstrations for every character gets you around 500k.

Mesoian

It's basically a Season 1 character bundle. Using Season Pass wasn't very smart I agree.

They genuinely should have called it that. Other fighting games have done the same and it would be fairly obvious from the name what you're getting.

AS we move forward and these dlc models become more...muddied, we're gonna have to step away from the season pass moniker as it does NOT mean what what a lot of these companies say they mean.

I would like to say that the purpose of a season pass is to provide enough of a value where the cost of buying such is offset by the convenience of having everything. You pay 30 or 40 and in return, everything is yours and it's more appetizing than paying piecemeal. But fuck me I guess, ain't no one gonna do that.

The costumes need to be better than this if that's how it's going to be. Most of these are complete shit.

The season pass is for the DLC characters only. Not sure why the premium costumes for the main characters would come with the pass. That would most likely be a separate bundle if it where to happen.

Edit: for the season pass it's $30 and filled with $36 worth of characters and $24 worth of costumes so you're essentially saving $30 on getting the pass (potentially more if you bought the season pass on PC when it was on sale). The high costume prices inflate it a bit, but it's still much better than paying piecemeal.

Justinh

That cammy's not new, right? I think I saw it on the MaxDood's channel.
It's too good.

Macho Man gief is great too. 4 clams a piece seems a bit much though.

Man that Ken, I did not like how Ken looked before, but that costume is...
I really don't like it. (eh, it's not like I have to buy it though so whatevs)
The beatings will continue until morale improves... I guess I'm just going to have to learn to accept Nu-Ken.

vg260

With them making all characters earnable with FM it's not really surprising that they jack up the prices of the stuff you can only buy with Zenny. Gotta make their money somewhere.

Maybe so, but they have to keep them within reason. Right now it's looking like they went crazy.

As someone who bought all the SF4 costumes in bundles for less than $1 on average, suddenly having to pay 4 times that amount is unreasonable. Again, though, hopefully they have bundles.

Really seems like Capcom should have just gone with the tried and true method.

Surely sales of the game are what should be funding future development.
Sales dry up and these games are meant to be supported for years. If you look at big E-Sports games Dota 2, LoL, Smite, CSGO they are all driven by cosmetic microtransactions and is the reason the games get continued support and huge tournament payouts.

What I believe Capcom did wrong was price the base game so damn high because for this to work you want as many people to have access to these cosmetics as possible because you hope the whales carry the weight of the people who don't ever buy any.

It's a great system that is better for the scene then expansion packs which split up and shrink the community size but I don't think the base game should have been priced so high.

Maybe so, but they have to keep them within reason. Right now it's looking like they went crazy.
To be completely fair, they haven't yet opened the store yet. It's possible that the prices for buying them on their own is considerably higher than the bundles to make the bundles seem like the better option.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good thing they are NOT included in the season pass then.

I'm at work so I can't check but how much do you normally save from SPs? Like how much is Fallout 4's versus buying everything piece meal. How much was MKX KP1?

Before or after they jacked up Fallout 4's SP? It was $30 before and if you got it, you got a much better value than after they made it $50. Automatron (sp) is $10. Next one is $24.99 or something by itself. Not sure what the last one is. Another $20?

MK packs were $20 I think and characters were $10 a pop?

If SFV didn't have issues from the get, I don't think this would be seen as an issue. However, the game looks like the Evolve of fighting games right now.

Someone mentioned DoA5: LR costume packs? Yeah, they are pricey, but for example, the Fun Theme pack has 81 costumes for $54.99. That is .67 cents per costume. If they were $4 each? $324. Not sure how much they cost per costume by themselves, but it's not $4.

Rurunaki

$2 price point should be the case for premium costumes imo.. I do think that they will be discounted as soon as the fresh batch of costumes arrive.. Also, Macho Man Randy Zangief is all I need on this batch..

Before or after they jacked up Fallout 4's SP? It was $30 before and if you got it, you got a much better value than after they made it $50. Automatron (sp) is $10. Next one is $24.99 or something by itself. Not sure what the last one is. Another $20?

If SFV didn't have issues from the get, I don't think this would be seen as an issue. However, the game looks like the Evolve of fighting games right now.

Someone mentioned DoA5: LR costume packs? Yeah, they are pricey, but for example, the Fun Theme pack has 81 costumes for $54.99. That is .67 cents per costume. If they were $4 each? $324. Not sure how much they cost per costume by themselves, but it's not $4.

Except evolve forced you to buy the monsters with real money and in SFV, all gameplay related stuff (and even most cosmetic stuff atm) can be bought with earnable in game currency. This is a terrible comparison.

I definitely agree that $4 is a tad high but, and I haven't played LoL in forever, I believe they are similar in price. I understand that is a F2P game but SFV is pretty much the same but with a forced $60 starter pack. I think they should've just made the game free to play at the start but they didn't and so here we are. I don't really have an issue with the business model though. They're just costumes and you can totally get almost all 6 new characters from single player content alone. That seems pretty reasonable.

TWILT

Banned
Yikes, that Ken costume is ugly. I'm really struggling to even call what's top of his head, hair. Eesh.

I like the Karin costume quite a bit though. Looks stylish.

CD'S BAR

MK characters were $4.99 a piece.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Except evolve forced you to buy the monsters with real money and in SFV, all gameplay related stuff (and even most cosmetic stuff atm) can be bought with earnable in game currency. This is a terrible comparison.

Evolve was pretty light on content at launch and full of DLC was what I meant.

Yes, technically you can earn a ton of FM if you like to suffer through bullshit Survival mode garbage time happy fun fun. Even the most hardcore and pros don't want to bother with that shit because its NOT FUN. How many colors you see at tourneys? NOT MANY.

You earn such a shit amount of FM from actually playing matches against real people, it's pretty stupid. It's like they got it backwards. "Want to earn FM from actually PLAYING people? Nah, son. Go play this shit mode with shit AI over and over for your FM and colors."

Until they adjust the amount of FM earned through actually playing against live people, no one is going to actually take the "earn enough FM in game" seriously. I don't know how much you earn through Trials though, so that's something.

MK characters were $4.99 a piece.

My mistake. It's been awhile.

Top Bottom