• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's too bad the app is still bugged on iOS7. This could have been a great promotional tool.

Having been an iOS developer in the past, I know that Apple sends you all sorts of emails and beta tools to make sure these issues are ironed out well before the public release, so it's hard to blame anyone but Way Forward for the faulty app.

Hopefully it's resolved soon, and hopefully this isn't a reflection on how things will transpire in the future!

Also, less that 6K away from hitting the goal!
I wonder what the problem actually is because I downloaded it before I upgraded my iPhone5 to iOS7 and it worked perfectly both before and after the upgrade.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Only five grand remaining. Looks like they're going to make it with time to spare. Good for them. Someone on another forum recommended Shantae to me when I asked whether they knew of any games similar to Sega's Wonderboy series. I've been searching around but it looks like Shantae's only available on the 3DS? Is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero the first game that is going to be available on PC? The most I could find was that the previous game is listed on Steam Greenlight but according to the comments a PC release hasn't been confirmed yet.

Do any of you guys know if any of the games are available on PC? Or is this Kickstarted game going to be the first one?

Fuzzy

Only five grand remaining. Looks like they're going to make it with time to spare. Good for them. Someone on another forum recommended Shantae to me when I asked whether they knew of any games similar to Sega's Wonderboy series. I've been searching around but it looks like Shantae's only available on the 3DS? Is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero the first game that is going to be available on PC? The most I could find was that the previous game is listed on Steam Greenlight but according to the comments a PC release hasn't been confirmed yet.

Do any of you guys know if any of the games are available on PC? Or is this Kickstarted game going to be the first one?
Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero will be the first two on PC.

Shantae - GameBoy Color, 3DS VC
Risky's Revenge - Nintendo DSiWare (playable on 3DS), Steam (whenever it's finally released)
The Pirate's Curse - 3DS eShop (releasing before the end of the year)
Half-Genie Hero - The KS game

Five

Banned
I wonder what the problem actually is because I downloaded it before I upgraded my iPhone5 to iOS7 and it worked perfectly both before and after the upgrade.

That's odd. From reading the app reviews, iOS7 seemed to be the likely candidate. I have the new 5s, but others were saying it was glitched on their 4s and 5 as well.

@ThreeSixty
From what I've read, Risky's Revenge (#2) is coming out on Steam, and Way Forward will be finishing it up after the KickStarter for Half Genie Hero (#4), which they will then work on at the same time and afterwards. There aren't currently any Shantae games available to buy on Steam, but there will be two after HGH is finished.

I'm playing Risky's Revenge on my 3DS right now and the game is fantastic (if only a little short) : all people who love metroidvanias and the Monster World series should play it. Can't wait for the PC version, as the graphisms seems more detailled, the new eshop game and the KS one :)

Fuzzy

That's odd. From reading the app reviews, iOS7 seemed to be the likely candidate. I have the new 5s, but others were saying it was glitched on their 4s and 5 as well.
I think iOS7 is the problem if you're downloading it when you're already on iOS7. Like I said, I only upgraded to iOS7 after getting RR for free and testing it.

Five

Banned
I think iOS7 is the problem if you're downloading it when you're already on iOS7. Like I said, I only upgraded to iOS7 after getting RR for free and testing it.

What an odd problem. There must be some sort of data it initializes with. Maybe it does a check to see which iOS you're running, then sets the resolution appropriately, but isn't programmed to check for iOS7 and thus defaults to something before Retina.

Syril

I hope any unreached stretch goals go up as DLC. 'Cause I want those bonus chapters.

They said that it's possible, but it would most likely be really slow if it did happen. WayForward has so many projects, they probably have a really tight schedule for themselves.

Five

Banned
I hope any unreached stretch goals go up as DLC. 'Cause I want those bonus chapters.

The trouble is having to set up two different production schedules instead of just one. As soon as the employees put on HGH are done working on it, they'll have to be put on the next project ASAP so that Way Forward can stay afloat. Unless preorders are crazy high, there won't have been enough income from HGH yet to fund development of more chapters. So DLC for this would have to wait until the money comes in and scheduling opens up.

shaowebb

Less than $5000 needed now to have the game backed and 10 days to go. I really want stretch goals but at this point I just want to know its gonna happen period. Cmon lets go!

cblRPDj.gif

Five

Banned
IGN just relinked to the KS campaign since the iOS Shantae game was in their free iOS game lineup today, so we'll probably hit funding pretty soon.

ZiZ

less than $3000 left.

I was looking forward to those stretch goals. I hope they at least release them as DLC later on :(

I think I'll change my pledge to the 35 dollar one, I had it at 15 but I really like the art so the digital art book sounds cool. Plus it gets us that much closer!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like WayForward. I like Shantae. I think this is neat. I think this will be a good game. I am glad that it is going to be funded.

That being said, I feel like they also deserve a good deal of criticism. They put Shantae: RR up on Greenlight with an iOS video. They didn't do any updates, show any PC assets, or do anything to work on their pitch or get involved with the community. At no point did they ever suggest that they had even begun a PC port of Shantae: RR. It's not really fair to all the great games struggling to make it on Steam that a larger developer is trying to trade on their brand rather than put effort into the process. I get that it's too risky to spend and make the whole finished port if they couldn't be guaranteed a spot on Steam, but a good start would have been to show example high res assets and at least videos produced specifically for Greenlight as opposed to just iOS promotional videos repurposed.

After a year, they finally get Greenlit. They ignore the fact that they've gotten greenlit, which is a pretty transparent slap in the face to fans who worked hard to vote for them and get the word out. There is no mention whatsoever, not even "We'll be commenting on this publicly next week, look forward to it."

Then a half a week later they launch a countdown for big news. The big news turns out to be asking fans for money so they can make a new Shantae game for PC. Despite the 4 day countdown, things seemed a little rushed with the campaign. The skin tone stuff clearly caught them off guard, and they handled it poorly when they tried to explain it. They didn't mention Inticreate's involvement until nearer to the end of the funding (I'm guessing this is a contractual quirk related to Mighty No 9 and not just a total omission on their part).

The Kickstarter includes a ton of super ambitious stretch goals including additional levels. For a lot of Shantae fans, it feels like they paid for half of a game on DSiWare, then waited ages and now they get to pay for the other half of the game on 3DS and then there's another game that they may or may not get all of.

I don't think this means WayForward are jerks or that they're counting fat stacks of money and abusing fans, I just think this entire process was not handled in an ideal way. It's too late to take it all back now. But if it was possible to do it again, I hope they'd know that they're capable of doing better.

Mesoian

I like WayForward. I like Shantae. I think this is neat. I think this will be a good game. I am glad that it is going to be funded.

That being said, I feel like they also deserve a good deal of criticism. They put Shantae: RR up on Greenlight with an iOS video. They didn't do any updates, show any PC assets, or do anything to work on their pitch or get involved with the community. At no point did they ever suggest that they had even begun a PC port of Shantae: RR. It's not really fair to all the great games struggling to make it on Steam that a larger developer is trying to trade on their brand rather than put effort into the process. I get that it's too risky to spend and make the whole finished port if they couldn't be guaranteed a spot on Steam, but a good start would have been to show example high res assets and at least videos produced specifically for Greenlight as opposed to just iOS promotional videos repurposed.

After a year, they finally get Greenlit. They ignore the fact that they've gotten greenlit, which is a pretty transparent slap in the face to fans who worked hard to vote for them and get the word out. There is no mention whatsoever, not even "We'll be commenting on this publicly next week, look forward to it."

Then a half a week later they launch a countdown for big news. The big news turns out to be asking fans for money so they can make a new Shantae game for PC. Despite the 4 day countdown, things seemed a little rushed with the campaign. The skin tone stuff clearly caught them off guard, and they handled it poorly when they tried to explain it. They didn't mention Inticreate's involvement until nearer to the end of the funding (I'm guessing this is a contractual quirk related to Mighty No 9 and not just a total omission on their part).

The Kickstarter includes a ton of super ambitious stretch goals including additional levels. For a lot of Shantae fans, it feels like they paid for half of a game on DSiWare, then waited ages and now they get to pay for the other half of the game on 3DS and then there's another game that they may or may not get all of.

I don't think this means WayForward are jerks or that they're counting fat stacks of money and abusing fans, I just think this entire process was not handled in an ideal way. It's too late to take it all back now. But if it was possible to do it again, I hope they'd know that they're capable of doing better.

While that's valid, I think that speaks volumes about the Greenlight process than it does about their attitude towards their fans.

I also agree with you about the stretch goals, I feel like even the Risky Boots one would be a struggle to get to.

I agree with that. I also think the reveal of "Dancer Shantae" was some pretty gross pandering. WayForward titles often have this sort of sexual content, and it's problematic.

And funded!

Tusk

I backed MN9 a bit ago, and pretty tempted to back this, too. xD I just started playing the first Shantae last night, and it's pretty fun. Glad this just reached 400k.

Mesoian

I agree with that. I also think the reveal of "Dancer Shantae" was some pretty gross pandering. WayForward titles often have this sort of sexual content, and it's problematic.

And funded!

Ehhhhhhhhhh....

I wouldn't say THAT is the problem persay...it did attract me to this kickstarter, and I don't really mind it.

That being said, I am on record for describing myself as a child, so don't pay attention to me too much regarding stuff like that

I'm pretty sure they said that they were Greenlit on Twitter or something. Mr Bozon also talked about it on Sup, Holmes? the other week. I believe the port is being handled by an outside developer.

Hooray!

So I'm new to Shantae, should I wait for this to be the first game I play? or what do you guys recommend for the first one to start with?

Hooray!

So I'm new to Shantae, should I wait for this to be the first game I play? or what do you guys recommend for the first one to start with?

I would recommend Risky's Revenge then go back to the original if you want more. The original is a great GBC game but it can be infuriating and it doesn't seem to have been playtested quite enough.

They're both on 3DS eShop.

I agree; their Greenlight handling was abysmal.

What? Half of a game on DSiware? Why do you feel like that?

I was under the impression that Riskys Revenge was pretty highly regarded across the board, and often considered the best game on DSiware (Not that it's a particularly high bar). At the very least I think it has the highest metacritic for a dsiware game.

I was certainly happy with it anyway.

They dun goofed massively on the whole greenlight thing though, yeah.

Oh shit yay!

NOW LET'S GET THOSE COSTUMES

Given they would have to nearly triple the typical pledges for a day for all remaining ten days (so 30k a day), I can't imagine it happening. Today will be a great day for it (410k!), but it's just not going to happen that every remaining day will be higher than all the previous days bar the first two.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom