• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Online Video up!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i'm VERY disapointed with this, the whole mirrors giving everyone powers thing does not seem like the direction the game was going in at all, having a glipse of small mystical power at the end of the SECOND game, then a full on jump into everyone has special powers world between games is a terrible terrible way of handling things.

Shenmue was always envisaged as a mystical 'fireball' game go watch the project berkly video (its on Shenmue Dojo), where did you get the idea the mirrors gave everyone powers? I see no evidence of that. You play a Kung Fu Master in the game so its not the case that everyone suddenly has these powers. The problem was Shenmue 1 and 2 covered barely covered half of the overall story Yu Suzuki planned out.

The company sega are working with (T2) already have an MMORPG with 350,000 subscribers as i mentioned earlier, and if the game turns out alright (it might do) then eventual US and european publishing deals i think Sega could easily make their investment back.

RiZ III

I have no problem with the magic thing at all. It was forshadowed from the start. I think its pretty cool. My problem is that I wanted shenmue 3 damn it. Not some cinematic online rpg crap.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Just the game concept shown in that trailer looks like shit, but of course it's still too early to tell or accurately judge. That man/girl SquareEnix looking character immediatley turns me off to this game. I wish 3 would come to put some closure on the series for the fans of the first 2. I don't buy that arguement that it wont get made because it will lose money - just look at 85% of Sega's other releases and its obvious that they don't fare that well either.

Vgamer

Maybe you will like it then since some of the Shenmue fans dont and you hate Shenmue so much. Wouldnt that be ironic :)

RiZ III

Ok well I just saw the trailer. Now, all bitching aside, that was bad ass. Finally it semed to have picked up. Not getting shenmue 3 is dissapointing, however, I can kind of see why they did this. Shenmue 1 and 2 werent exactly the greatest hits like Sega wanted them to be. Its still a strong series with a fan base. So they took a differentl approach by making it online. The story seems to be picking up finally which is good. The magic part should be no suprise to anyone who has played shenmue2 all the way through. If you havent played S2 then you have no right to bitch about this new game. Come back after u beat S2.

bonesquad

I don't mean to "flame", but how could Shenmue possibly get any worse? I'll never get what people saw in that "game"... The story made me continue, but the gameplay put me to sleep. Was there any gameplay? One of the few games I regret buying.

If anything, taking it into a MMORPG could help the game. Shenmue always was just about talking to other people. Now you can ask real people if they've seen 'men in black suits' over and over and over and... instead of NPCs.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
bonesquad said:
I don't mean to "flame", but how could Shenmue possibly get any worse? I'll never get what people saw in that "game"... The story made me continue, but the gameplay put me to sleep. Was there any gameplay? One of the few games I regret buying.

If anything, taking it into a MMORPG could help the game. Shenmue always was just about talking to other people. Now you can ask real people if they've seen 'men in black suits' over and over and over and... instead of NPCs.

Name an RPG with a better combat system than Shenmue 1 and 2? What are you talking about no gameplay?

If they can put that system in an MMORPG (im doubtful but that seems like its the idea) then it'll be the best MMORPG ever.

border

Ghost said:
Name an RPG with a better combat system than Shenmue 1 and 2? What are you talking about no gameplay?
Why compare it to an RPG? Shenmue is just a bloated adventure game with very little fighting....

Senretsu

You can't tell jack about how this game plays from the video.

nice CG though, unfortunately thats all there is to it. Thanks for the quicker download blimblim

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
bonesquad:
Now you can ask real people if they've seen 'men in black suits' over and over and over and... instead of NPCs.
Not that Shenmue's investigatory play mechanics weren't flawed, but that comment reveals the nature of your own play habits to some extent rather than just the game's nature. Most people couldn't adjust from the "talk to every character in sight" mentality of traditional RPGs and missed taking advantage of Shenmue's character-specific context - where you wouldn't be asking the same question more than once or twice - for obtaining clues and progressing naturally.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
border said:
Why compare it to an RPG? Shenmue is just a bloated adventure game with very little fighting....

Er...because it has character development, a deep and complex story and you are PLAYING THE ROLE of Ryo...what more do you need?

And theres plenty of fighting once you get to the final disc of the first game and all through the second.

retardboy

Second game was so awesome. One of my favorites ever. Anyways, trailer looked great. There isn't any actual matrix type crap in the game if that what you people think. They're just trying to show you that's what happens when you make a new account you get transformed into the action. Anyways, it looks like it's going to be story based, so thats going to be great. They need to bring this to america and onto the next gen consoles.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ghost said:
Er...because it has character development, a deep and complex story and you are PLAYING THE ROLE of Ryo...what more do you need?

And theres plenty of fighting once you get to the final disc of the first game and all through the second.

That would make just about every game on the market an rpg. Super Mario is an rpg because you play the role of Mario. It just doesn't fly with me, I've heard the same reasons being stated for Zelda being an rpg.

I think Shenmue being considered an rpg would have more to do with Ryo's techniques improving with practice over time.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Grizzlyjin said:
I think Shenmue being considered an rpg would have more to do with Ryo's techniques improving with practice over time.

I said character development.....you even quoted me...wtf?

BeOnEdge

Banned
there are only 3 possible ways sega can make this up to me.

#1-daytona 3 for ps3 or X2 with online play
#2-model 2/3 compilations
#3-a proper shenmue 3

anything else and i'll stick with my current lull of buying 1 sega game per year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ghost said:
I said character development.....you even quoted me...wtf?

Oh, I thought you were talking about character development as in how well the character's personality is translated to the player, and how you seem them progress through the story. :p

Ok yeah, I agree.

SolidSnakex said:
With the way people react from a single announcement from Sega you'd think they were the biggest company in the industry.

According to reports, technically it is, now it's combined with Sammy.

nitewulf

the video itself looks cool and all that. its just that i dont know how i feel about it, i dont like MMORPGS, and i'd rather they'd spend the money on some other franchises, or shenmue 3. but looks like this game is targetted at a very specific audience as well, they are trying to entice asians w/ a martial arts themed rpg, instead of the typical fantasy stuff. it could work potentially, but then again, things never do work out for sega.
who is financing this though? i thought they had no money.

Saturnman

Banned
The movie is cool. I like it.

I'm not sure how the game is going to turn out but if it can help the Shenmue franchise and possibly lead to a Shenmue 3 down the line, I'm all for it.

I'm still amazed that such a massive project could be made out of the Shenmue name post-DC, but I'm not complaining.

The trailer looks great, and this game certainly doesn't mean a Shenmue III won't come out in the future. Still confused on what will be in this game. As for the reactions to this thread, Sega is the only company to receive more venom from their own fans than from anybody else. They aren't going to go out of business anytime soon, no matter how much you want that.

Why people still care? Becaues this industry is dull and Sega is one of the few movers and shakers in this industry worth following.

Fuck the haters, Shenmue 2 is my personal favorite rpg/adventure game of all time.

Interesting.

Too few details to really draw too much yet. I'm hoping the heavy presence of Ryo/Lan Di/Xiuying/Joy in the video was more to establish its Shenmueness rather than an indication of how the game'll pan out.

I like the idea of a MMO game with Shenmue's combat system and settings, just I'd like them to keep the Shenmue mainstory in the background so as not to spoil too much for ShenmueIII. Hopefully it's more players roam around Hong Kong and the Chinese countryside, training their martial arts skills and getting into fights. Good players fight against the gangsters (with the Chiyoumen being the big bad) whilst bad players join them. Finding martial arts masters to learn new moves from (who'd inevitably give them task to complete before they pass on their knowledge). Then throw in other Shenmue stuff like arcades, interacting with NPCs etc. I think it could really work.

Xellos

Die Squirrel Die said:
Interesting.

Too few details to really draw too much yet. I'm hoping the heavy presence of Ryo/Lan Di/Xiuying/Joy in the video was more to establish its Shenmueness rather than an indication of how the game'll pan out.

I like the idea of a MMO game with Shenmue's combat system and settings, just I'd like them to keep the Shenmue mainstory in the background so as not to spoil too much for ShenmueIII. Hopefully it's more players roam around Hong Kong and the Chinese countryside, training their martial arts skills and getting into fights. Good players fight against the gangsters (with the Chiyoumen being the big bad) whilst bad players join them. Finding martial arts masters to learn new moves from (who'd inevitably give them task to complete before they pass on their knowledge). Then throw in other Shenmue stuff like arcades, interacting with NPCs etc. I think it could really work.

Yeah, I'm also thinking the characters from the trailer and the Honk Kong setting were there just for fanservice. The scenario played out in the trailer probably has nothing to do with the story for Shenmue Online.

Also, going off the 8:55 movie from the other Shenmue online thread (includes footage from before the trailer; is it the same as the one in this thread?), it looked like Yu was showing off some new villain/NPC? character designs for this Shenmue. He also showed a map with two new areas, Xian and Suzhou (both in China), as well as the old Yokosuka/Hong Kong/Guilin areas. I'd be surprised if this game didn't continue the Shenmue story.

border

So any game with an intricate story and character development is an RPG? C'mon, we all know that doesn't really hack it as a way to define the genre. Friggin' Metal Gear Solid is an RPG now because it has characters and you "play the role" of Solid Snake.

Shenmue doesn't have any of the major hallmarks of an RPG -- no parties, no experience system, no magic/special feats system, no leveling up with a stats system, no frequent random battles, no turn-based battles, no equipment system. Not that every single RPG has every single one of those -- but Shenmue has very little in common the games most commonly considered RPGs. It's pretty clearly an adventure title with some mild character-building elements. Even Sega's marketing machine and Yu Suzuki said it was something other than an RPG, it's Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment.

Lazy8s

border:
Shenmue doesn't have any of the major hallmarks of an RPG -- no parties, no experience system, no magic/special feats system, no leveling up with a stats system
Well, it does technically have an experience and leveling-up system. Practicing moves raises their effectiveness for connecting and doing damage in battle; landing moves in combat raises this even more so. Moves can level-up at high proficiencies and become more elaborate. There are special move combinations in the fighting system, too. The player even controls which skills get specialized by selecting Hand Moves, Leg Moves, Throw Moves, All Moves Equally, or a specific move from their study/training menu.

But, really, Shenmue's not the stereotype of any genre.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
border said:
Shenmue doesn't have any of the major hallmarks of an RPG -- no parties, no experience system, no magic/special feats system, no leveling up with a stats system, no frequent random battles, no turn-based battles, no equipment system..

Ok point by point..

No parties - So diablo isnt an RPG?
No Experience - Wrong
No Magic/Special Feats system - Theres tonnes of moves you dont get by just playing through the game and every one must be mastered in your own training..
No Leveling/Stats - Wrong
No Frequent Random Battles - what? Its only Eastern RPGs that have random battles, and why make out like they are a good thing?
No Turn Based Battles - Once again Eastern RPGs arent the only RPG in the world, and this one doesnt even account for all of the eastern ones.
No Equipment System - Congrats, you finally got one.

Turn Based combat, Random battles etc are just the confines of a totally stagnant eastern RPG genre, Shenmue (series) was something new that couldn't fit into those confines, but its character development system is what makes it an RPG and seperates it from the likes of Zelda and other adventure games.

Shenmue has a better character development system than most RPGs because you actually have to train, what you get out of combat is directly proportional to what you put in, rather than just wandering round a field for 5 minutes waiting for a battle to occur or in non-random battle systems having no way of raising your skills without completing a quest.

border

Except that it's all the training is more or less extraneous nonsense because you can mash your way through battles without wasting time doing a ton of training. Which is ironically is a hallmark of Final Fantasy-style RPGs -- interesting battle systems that are undermined by the game's essential ease. Turn-based or round-based battle systems are almost certainly not exclusive to "Eastern" RPGs either.

No, there is no magic system in Shenmue. No points depleted for special moves and spells. You acquire moves but using them does not cost you anything. There is no point/stat distribution that you can make as you progress. The only character development is the gaining of a moveset for battles. There aren't any other skills you can acquire (say something like hacking, lockpicking, persuasion, etc).

I list some of the major commonalities in a lot of RPGs, and you point out that not every RPG has that stuff.....a concession that I already made a note of. Congratulations. =\ I'm still not seeing what makes Shenmue an RPG. Because you your character gains a moveset? Is that all?

And what's a "good thing" about the fact that your character has to be trained outside of situations that make a difference in the game? I think most people prefer to character-build as they do things of value (battles, quests, whatnot) that push the game forward.....rather than bring the narrative to a halt to train in some corner by the wayside.

Lazy8s

border:
You acquire moves but using them does not cost you anything.
Except for running around in battle, which will actually cause Ryo to lose all of his stamina for movement eventually.
There is no point/stat distribution that you can make as you progress.
It's in the study/training menu you can access from Ryo's room. It allows you to specialize certain moves or certain types of moves.

Shinobi

sp0rsk said:
theres actually no indication that the mirror did ANYTHING in the video.

all that happened is that some guy came in to save the mirror "by using his computer."

You guys are taking things way too literal.

Tends to happen when one has a negative view of every single thing a person or company does. I should know...I do the same with the Bush administration.

Lazy8s said:
bonesquad:

Not that Shenmue's investigatory play mechanics weren't flawed, but that comment reveals the nature of your own play habits to some extent rather than just the game's nature. Most people couldn't adjust from the "talk to every character in sight" mentality of traditional RPGs and missed taking advantage of Shenmue's character-specific context - where you wouldn't be asking the same question more than once or twice - for obtaining clues and progressing naturally.

Agreed...people who spent a whole week looking for certain things in the first game were just stupid as fuck.

KyotoMecca said:
According to reports, technically it is, now it's combined with Sammy.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Yeah, like people give a shit about Sammy...

Docpan

Why are they doing this to one of my favorite stories in an RPG EVER?

Why tarnish something something that only the hardcore fans care about anyways?

Why are people appearing out of green lines a-la the MATRIX?

Why are there fireballs and explosions a-la Dragonball Z?

WHY?

AniHawk

What the bloody hell was that.

I'm not a violent person, but I am beginning to feel like I'll have to kill someone here.

I didn't D/L the video, but if this is as bad as some say it is then that really sucks ass.
On the flip side, if this does respectable business as a MMO game then I bet the chances of Shenmue 3 coming along will greatly increase. This, at the least, means Sega isn't letting Shenmue go away. Perhaps this could even mean that by expanding the Shenmue universe there is more in store.

Newduck

where did you get the idea the mirrors gave everyone powers? I see no evidence of that.

The CG screens with everyone having some sort of aura looking as if they're just about to blast it at something suggests it somewhat. I imagine those people are somehow connected to the phoenix mirror.

I can't recall the berkley stuff greatly, but i do remember alot of the earlier videos which did show alot more mystical stuff, such as the scene with shenhua and ryo in a forest with a giant gaping hole in the ground with aura coming out of it, but that stuff still didnt actually make it into the game. The game was obviously going in the direction of mystical stuff, but it did it at such a slow pace, and the only real glipse of it you got was at the end of shenmue 2, which was still pretty small.

Actually, after watching that video, it seems the pheonix mirror might have the power to summon people, who will be the actual players i imagine, atleast thats the impression i get. It still seems very highly retarded to me. I really hope they don't completely screw up the plot of shenmue to try to mould it around a MMORPG.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The mirror did nothing. it was just flying through the air because ryo threw it.

Newduck

Yeah but I imagine he had a purpose for throwing it, and it did look like that new character, or possibly just a generic design for to represent the MMORPG car materialised out of or from the mirror.

Edit: Actually watching it again, maybe not, looks like he was throwing it to Lan Di, not at him. And the character just materialises through a window.

Not that thats any less retarded though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
He was throwing it to lan di so he'd let Joy go, the mirror didnt summon anyone.

Edit: No argument about how retarded it is though ;)

Vgamer

im pretty sure after watching the vidoe a bunch the whole thing is just like a TV commercial. Just trying to demonstrate that you the player will interact with the game. Chances are the game wont look anything like that at all and wont even have that scene in it where Ryo throws the mirror to Lan Di.

Koshiro

Vgamer said:
im pretty sure after watching the vidoe a bunch the whole thing is just like a TV commercial. Just trying to demonstrate that you the player will interact with the game. Chances are the game wont look anything like that at all and wont even have that scene in it where Ryo throws the mirror to Lan Di.
This man speaks the truth.

AniHawk

Vgamer said:

Maybe it's just a massive spoiler for Shenmue 3 which got mixed up with this Online stuff.

Top Bottom