• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

Opa-Pa

Any spell pierces through repel and drain with Awakened Power. That passive skill basically makes almost all almighty attacks obsolete to Nanashi.

Yeah, note that for some reason, when the enemy casts any -karn, the barrier will still show when you're selecting a target, but it won't do anything, all your attacks will connect as long as you have awakened power or any pierce.

Mcdohl

Any tips on the challenge quest to use full force on a VR battle vs Anubis? I can't kill it on time, and it keeps healing itself :(

asagami_

Banned
It's me or smirk + dark skill is ALWAYS instant kill? I mean, I know it is when the enemy is weak to it (the same happen with lights skill), but when it's not, the outcome is the same. In the other spectrum, the light skills may do an instant kill even if they are not weak to it BUT not always.

I should try this without the Awakened Power...

Opa-Pa

Any tips on the challenge quest to use full force on a VR battle vs Anubis? I can't kill it on time, and it keeps healing itself :(

Is that the one where you have demons with al the dynes and pierce skills? I remember you have to learn the order of his attacks and switch to the demon that blocks same element to attack with every turn. I think you need to either pass a turn or use concentrate in the last turn to kill him before he heals too. It's the most complicated one.

So it's something like:

If he's going to use ice, you switch to an ice resistant demon, enable the elemental pierce, pass, use the elemental skill, repeat.

It's me or smirk + dark skill is ALWAYS instant kill? I mean, I know it is when the enemy is weak to it (the same happen with lights skill), but when it's not, the outcome is the same. In the other spectrum, the light skills may do an instant kill even if they are not weak to it BUT not always.

I should try this without the Awakened Power...

I think you're probably just lucky. I found that I very rarely insta killed with those anymore near the end game, almost exclusively when they were weak to them.

Mcdohl

Is that the one where you have demons with al the dynes and pierce skills? I remember you have to learn the order of his attacks and switch to the demon that blocks same element to attack with every turn. I think you need to either pass a turn or use concentrate in the last turn to kill him before he heals too. It's the most complicated one.

So it's something like:

If he's going to use ice, you switch to an ice resistant demon, enable the elemental pierce, pass, use the elemental skill, repeat.

No, it's not that one.

Anubis always uses Megidola, but if you hit him he completely heals himself.

Demons each have a different dyne, a Concentrate, and a Smirk ability.

Opa-Pa

No, it's not that one.

Anubis always uses Megidola, but if you hit him he completely heals himself.

Demons each have a different dyne, a Concentrate, and a Smirk ability.

You have to switch one of them for one with higher magic, and then lower his defense with Nanashi every turn, Navarre will use makakaja and everyone else has to use concentrate and then smile charge. His defense should be completely down while your team's magic all up the turn before he kills you, then you use all your fully charged dynes and he'll die in a single turn.

Mcdohl

You have to switch one of them for one with higher magic, and then lower his defense with Nanashi every turn, Navarre will use makakaja and everyone else has to use concentrate and then smile charge. His defense should be completely down while your team's magic all up the turn before he kills you, then you use all your fully charged dynes and he'll die in a single turn.

Thanks a lot, I won! :)

Now I'm at Tsukiji Konganji (re-visit) with the doors warping you at random places.

Annoying as fuck.

This place would drive me insane if I did not have the App where enemies stay away from you (if your lvl is >5 leves than theirs).

So I finally managed to
beat YHVH to get the super happy friendship ending today.

I haven't really seen this info anywhere, and I'm worried I might have missed the dialog at some point, but is there a reason for the
record scratch any time a character says YHVH?
I mean, I thought it was hilarious, but was it explained?

Anyway, finally time to jump back into Tokyo Mirage Sessions and hope I finish before November 30th...

Opa-Pa

I haven't really seen this info anywhere, and I'm worried I might have missed the dialog at some point, but is there a reason for the

Anyway, finally time to jump back into Tokyo Mirage Sessions and hope I finish before November 30th...

From what I gather, it's either the fact that there's apparently no concensus in how you pronounce it (there are approximations made for different languages, like Yahweh in english, but I believe these aren't 100% "official") or that you're not supposed to say his name (in vain?). Probably both.

NeonZ

So I finally managed to
beat YHVH to get the super happy friendship ending today.

There's an odd plot point mentioned only in the (free) DLC files, and that effect seems to be related to something they mention there. It kind of clashes with what's said in the main game itself though. The files talks about how
it's not really human observation that limits and restricts demons - observation in a natural basic sense is responsible for all of them existing - even YHVH.

What actually limits demons and casts them into a limited form is language, and by avoiding contact with humanity YHVH avoided the effects of "language" unlike the other demons. So, his name being unpronounceable seems to be connected to him avoiding the effects of language by isolating himself.

Frimaire

So like, how challenging is the final boss?
I'm starting to think I may a bit too high a level...
I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn
on the first try, and I just finished the Fiends dungeon without much difficulty.
I haven't done much of the last dungeon yet, though. Is the final boss a big step up in difficulty?

Lynx_7

I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn
on the first try, and I just finished the Fiends dungeon without much difficulty.
I haven't done much of the last dungeon yet, though. Is the final boss a big step up in difficulty?

People have been saying he's challenging at level 99, so unless you bought the level cap DLC I don't think overleveling should be an issue.

Frimaire

People have been saying he's challenging at level 99, so unless you bought the level cap DLC I don't think overleveling should be an issue.

Level cap DLC is free.
I'm like ~ level 105, but you only get 2 points per level after 99, so I'm effectively pretty close to that...
Glad to see that people are saying that, though.

jonjonaug

I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn

The final dungeon and final boss feel like a bonus dungeon and bonus boss in an Etrian game, while the
Cosmic Egg and its bosses
felt like the actual final boss, particularly on the power of friendship route. The final boss is much harder than anything else in the game too.

TP

I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn

I'm thinking you might just end up walking all over him

The final boss is much harder than anything else in the game too.

rCra0u4.jpg

cj_iwakura

The final dungeon and final boss feel like a bonus dungeon and bonus boss in an Etrian game, while the
Cosmic Egg and its bosses
felt like the actual final boss, particularly on the power of friendship route. The final boss is much harder than anything else in the game too.

Kind of agree on the dungeons. The spoilered dungeon was fantastic, the actual final one was worse than the Explorers' Abattoir in EO1.

Opa-Pa

I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn

How hard he is has more to do with strategy than level IMO. I destroyed VF but the final boss still gave me trouble and made me fight him thrice, even though I was level 110 or so.

As long as you have magaon, dekunda and dekaja though, you should be fine. But minimum level should be 99-105.

cj_iwakura

How hard he is has more to do with strategy than level IMO. I destroyed VF but the final boss still gave me trouble and made me fight him thrice, even though I was level 110 or so.

As long as you have magaon, dekunda and dekaja though, you should be fine. But minimum level should be 99-105.

The second party
has all three, so the MC doesn't need the skills as long as he has enough items and a demon has at least one other. I was fine with a demon having Dekunda, using Dekaja stones, and a helper having Magaon.

Hylian7

7/8 Moon:
While being frustrated with Vishnu-Flynn, I went back to Twisted Tokyo to try to get further and maybe come up with a different solution. The Healer doors being locked by stats...wtf. The one in the third area (after Matador) opened for me, not sure what stat it was. The second area one didn't open because of Dx. Are the doors locked by stat somewhere that actually have treasure like in SMT4?

I might try getting Matador. My armor is also out of date and I will probably either get some from Kasumigaseki or get the black card and get it from Ginza. How do I get the black card in this game? I bought some of the DLC and attempted it. I got the Cleopatra DLC, Mikado, and Diamond Realm. By far Diamond Realm is the best, but all of them are pretty difficult. In the Cleo one I get close to beating the horde and then Ancient Curse and that instakill.

Opa-Pa

You get the black card as a reward for a challenge quest.

Also you can get one of the best armor sets in the game for free if you complete the majority of the quests in the game.

Honestly the premium shop is useless unless you have the money DLC.

Hylian7

You get the black card as a reward for a challenge quest.

Also you can get one of the best armor sets in the game for free if you complete the majority of the quests in the game.

Honestly the premium shop is useless unless you have the money DLC.
Which armor? I have done all the Challenge quests available and I don't think I have it.

Also I realized I did have the black card, but forgot that I got it. I went over there and tried and they let me in. Everything in there is too expensive for my blood though. Sucks that we don't get a free Black Demonica in this game.

Edit: Is it the Master Suit? Seems good, and if that is it I do have it. Just now equipped it.

Opa-Pa

The master suit! You should get it from the Kinshicho bartender if I remember right. Once I got that I never needed anything else, I compared it with equipment from Kasumigaseki and the master suit always either had better stats or was only slightly worse.

Poyunch

I wasn't a fan of the armor in this game so I just used the Black Card to get the Black Demonica. Also definitely get Matador. He ended up being my ace for the last couple dungeons.

Hylian7

I wasn't a fan of the armor in this game so I just used the Black Card to get the Black Demonica. Also definitely get Matador. He ended up being my ace for the last couple dungeons.
I just grabbed him. Hopefully that helps me through (7/8 Moon boss)
Vishnu-Flynn

Weiss

Banned
TMW Mara charms you and you heal him to full health.

Also is there any good way to getting money without the DLC? I want to buy some of the stuff in Ginza, unless the Master Suit will suffice for Cleopatra, Mephisto and Stephen.

Hylian7

TMW Mara charms you and you heal him to full health.

Also is there any good way to getting money without the DLC? I want to buy some of the stuff in Ginza, unless the Master Suit will suffice for Cleopatra, Mephisto and Stephen.
Seeing how accessible the Master Suit is, and the number of relic runs you would need to afford the Ginza stuff, and the armor there isn't that great compared to the Master Suit, I would just stick with it.

Personally, I refuse to support the P2W DLC Atlus likes to put out in their games lately. They did this crap with SMT4, Devil Survivor 2 RB, and others I think. For clarity, I'm talking about the ones that say they are for macca/items/app points/etc

epmode

Personally, I refuse to support the P2W DLC Atlus likes to put out in their games lately. They did this crap with SMT4, Devil Survivor 2 RB, and others I think. For clarity, I'm talking about the ones that say they are for macca/items/app points/etc

Yeah, it's pretty slimy. Are they including stuff like that in Persona 5?

Hylian7

Yeah, it's pretty slimy. Are they including stuff like that in Persona 5?
Wouldn't put it past them.

The sad thing is people are obviously buying it, as they keep doing it. I don't mind the costume DLC though, and some of them are pretty cool actually, even if it is silly vanity.

epmode

Nintendo does the same stuff in Fire Emblem, Falcom does it in Trails of Cold Steel. I just figured it was a newish trend in JRPGs.

asagami_

Banned
Wow, (full moon spoilers)
Satan almost destroy me after the question. I don't know if feel good or bad about it :( Now it's just YHVH.

I feel I want create high-level demons I really want, but I want finish the game. For the Apocalypse playthrough I will have a party I really like.
And be a jerk, too.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Wouldn't put it past them.

The sad thing is people are obviously buying it, as they keep doing it. I don't mind the costume DLC though, and some of them are pretty cool actually, even if it is silly vanity.

I bought the app points dlc, because I really wanted some specific upgrade I was 2 pts shy of and (at level 99+ you don't get app points anymore). After like 20-30 mins of grinding I trivialized the entire game! Since you get XP, Macca, + a ton of App Items from just the 1 piece of dlc. I think it just drops more of whatever it's focused on.

Basically, it was a bad idea.

Hylian7

Nintendo does the same stuff in Fire Emblem, Falcom does it in Trails of Cold Steel. I just figured it was a newish trend in JRPGs.

A really terrible new trend. I didn't realize Nintendo did it in FE.

I got past that boss I was stuck on, thanks Matador!

Riposte

Seeing how accessible the Master Suit is, and the number of relic runs you would need to afford the Ginza stuff, and the armor there isn't that great compared to the Master Suit, I would just stick with it.

It's silly in light of the fact that this game has 1) an easy mode (or two), 2) no consequence to death at all (maybe on the DLC difficulty?).

Aters

I beat V
ishnu
F
lynn

I beat him at level 99 on conflict difficulty. Not that hard I think. It's more about getting used to the novelty.

PK Gaming

Re: Toki (lategame spoilers)

Just found out why she kept calling Nanashi master.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH! IS THAT THE REASON, GAME? That deeeeeeeeeeefinitely makes up for 20+ hours of her being completely terrible after regressing from being a legitimately good character in her initial appearance. Nevermind the fact that she still wants to call you master when it's just the 2 of you. Nevermind the fact that she had the gall to whine because things didn't go her way after Asahi fucking died. (okay that last one is kind of warranted in retrospect)

Toki is terrible. She literally does not grow as a character because she's possessed and legit forgets how she acted and doesn't go through any meaningful character arcs. It's like the game was like "here's this obnoxious waifu pandering character." *PSYCHE* here's the REAL reason for why she acted this way. Oh, but we're still gonna pander to you, but real low key like. And her "resolve" speech is so forced and unearned.

Ugh.

Weiss

Banned
Re: Toki (lategame spoilers)

Just found out why she kept calling Nanashi master.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH! IS THAT THE REASON, GAME? That deeeeeeeeeeefinitely makes up for 20+ hours of her being completely terrible after regressing from being a legitimately good character in her initial appearance. Nevermind the fact that she still wants to call you master when it's just the 2 of you. Nevermind the fact that she had the gall to whine because things didn't go her way after Asahi fucking died. (okay that last one is kind of warranted in retrospect)

Toki is terrible. She literally does not grow as a character because she's possessed and legit forgets how she acted and doesn't go through any meaningful character arcs. It's like the game was like "here's this obnoxious waifu pandering character." *PSYCHE* here's the REAL reason for why she acted this way. Oh, but we're still gonna pander to you, but real low key like. And her "resolve" speech is so forced and unearned.

Ugh.

Yyyyeeeaaaaahhhh I'm with you. Much as I adore Toki they definitely screwed the pooch on her.

I think the idea behind her was that
her submissive waifu stuff wasn't meant to be "real" Toki, and that being all doped up on Inanna is supposed to explain away the most egregious of it. Snarky Toki is a ball and I found her clinginess to be at least a little funny (and I say that as someone with a burning hatred for those anime tropes), but quiet, reserved, dignified assassin Toki in an Oni mask is the best and they really should have stuck with that and, like, gradually have her come out of her shell, rather than orgasm her way into your waifu.

Top Bottom