• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

CSX

Survived that final dungeon. Saved in the room right before the final boss. Saving it for tomorrow :D. So far its my personal GOTY

JEKKI

awwww yeay went to LA comic con yesterday for streetpassin action and streetpassed a total of...

2 ppl with this game?!?!?!

yo wtf?!?! this is like the best game and aint nobody playing it??

I went to PAX one year with this game and street passed hecka ppl!

ppl be playing that pokemon shit instad of this real shit.

fukk that pokemon shit!

Davilmar

This seems like an incredible stupid question, but I am conflicted on whether to play Shin Megami Tensei IV or Apocalypse first. I love the Persona series, but I haven't played Shin Megami since Nocturne back in the 2000s. I have heard that Apocalypse fixed a lot of shortcomings from SMT IV, and that the stories are not explicitly linked together. I currently have the collector's edition of IV and I just bought Apocalypse. Should I just play IV first and then Apocalypse.

This seems like an incredible stupid question, but I am conflicted on whether to play Shin Megami Tensei IV or Apocalypse first. I love the Persona series, but I haven't played Shin Megami since Nocturne back in the 2000s. I have heard that Apocalypse fixed a lot of shortcomings from SMT IV, and that the stories are not explicitly linked together. I currently have the collector's edition of IV and I just bought Apocalypse. Should I just play IV first and then Apocalypse.

To be honest, I feel that Apocalypse explains IV's world and story better than IV did.

To be honest, I feel that Apocalypse explains IV's world and story better than IV did.
it definitely does but i personally prefer IV's approach. Unlike Apocalypse which literally just explains what happens, IV gives you clues about whats happening through world building and progressing through the games. By the end you can put stuff together unlike apocalypse which just says "this happened, this happened etc etc."

Im probably alone in preferring it the way IV did it though

random25

Go wth IV first. You'll appreciate Apocalypse more if you go through IV, especially the neutral route.

Lynx_7

Neutral is not that hard to get if you just keep yourself slightly balanced but also a little biased to either side (slightly chaos being easier to achieve) and then bailing to the opposite side at the last choice. Keeping track of your alignment with the hunter association dude helps. Got neutral on my first run doing that with minimal guide use, and since I religiously did all the sidequests available at all times I didn't need to do much extra work for the neutral ending. Apocalypse is mechanically better than IV but I'd still say go for IV first for the purer SMT experience, it's still a great game. It'll also give you a lot of context and more appreciation for Apocalypse, the latter being a direct sequel and all.

Anyway, my goty is currently a struggle between this or FE Conquest. Conquest has better gameplay (probably legit the best designed turn based combat in any game I've ever played) but shit story, Apocalypse is a stronger overall package but doesn't reach the same strategical heights. Still have a bit left to go for apocalypse though. How much do I have left post 7/8 moon
cosmic egg
?

it definitely does but i personally prefer IV's approach. Unlike Apocalypse which literally just explains what happens, IV gives you clues about whats happening through world building and progressing through the games. By the end you can put stuff together unlike apocalypse which just says "this happened, this happened etc etc."

You are not alone. I liked how you had to discover the plot without explicit info as well.

asagami_

Banned
I don't know, but the lack of Burroughs is depressing in SMT IV Apocalypse. Just for that I didn't give a shit about the shitty dungeons
and the horrible designs outside Minotauro and the angels
in the original SMT IV.

Still have a bit left to go for apocalypse though. How much do I have left post 7/8 moon cosmic egg?

You are almost in the end.

yo wtf?!?! this is like the best game and aint nobody playing it??

ppl be playing that pokemon shit instad of this real shit.

fukk that pokemon shit!

Pokemon is fun :( And the next one looks so MegaTen that I can't stop have a silly smile always I remember xD

I don't know, but the lack of Burroughs is depressing in SMT IV Apocalypse. Just for that I didn't give a shit about the shitty dungeons
and the horrible designs outside Minotauro and the angels
in the original SMT IV.

Not to mention that
her true form as the adult Goddess of Tokyo has a different voice now.
:/

asagami_

Banned
I finished the game!
Thanks to the sacrifice of the Flynn team who could not endure the powerful attacks of the mad god lol

I really like how in the Bond ending
the demons help to rebuild the world ;_;

dcassell

Banned
So in the last two weeks, I've played through SMT IV, gotten the law ending (read up on neutral), and now I'm starting this up. WOW it feels so much easier at the start than SMT IV. I never had any trouble with the first dungeon personally in the original title, but I'm a big fan of how the opening is handled here. Also, thank god for the improved map and quest features. Even after spending 45 hours in SMT IV, I still got lost here and there when navigating the world map.

Love these games. Can't wait to get all the way through this one, and it's making the wait for Persona 5 a lot easier.

I prefer it too.

Incidentally, IVA is really lacking in the sidequest department, both in volume and execution, and they were my favorite part of IV.

CSX

Just beat the final boss.

Loved every bit of it especially with the dialouge said throughout the fight. Unless something comes out that blows my mind, this is hands down my GOTY

Atlus with another amazing SMT game :)

Lynx_7

Zan skills sending demons flying away needs to go and never, ever come back again. Nothing but trash.
Vishnu just sent 3 of my demons flying away and I'm saltier than the Dead Sea right now.

Fireblend

Banned
Zan skills sending demons flying away needs to go and never, ever come back again. Nothing but trash.
Vishnu just sent 3 of my demons flying away and I'm saltier than the Dead Sea right now.

Hallelujah has a passive skill that prevents that from happening. It's a must in that fight IMO :p

Lynx_7

Hallelujah has a passive skill that prevents that from happening. It's a must in that fight IMO :p

The problem with that is having to waste my partner slot with Hallelujah. :p
He is the boss against Krishna tho
I needed the Doping from Navarre because that Antichton was straight one-shotting most of my usable demons for that fight. Even with buffs and debuffs I'd lose 1 or 2 partners per turn without Doping as I was already struggling to keep myself in the fight with the enhanced HP. Maybe I was underleveled for that one but I managed to pull it off.

This being my first experience with a Gunslinger MC, now that I'm almost done with the game these are my impressions on the build (Apocalypse difficulty):

+Not having to obsess over which skills to keep is seriously a blessing for my OCD self.
+It feels badass and hits pretty hard, specially when you crit. Fuck yeah.
+MP consumption is generally pretty low (unless you're doing support).

+/- When the enemy is resistant to guns you get to know exactly how Asahi feels! Start making use of those support skills, boy! Fuck yeah...?
+/- You rely more on team synergy since you can't just roflstomp every boss with the MC.
+/- Not nearly as overpowered as magic. I personally think this is a plus.
+/- You won't become as godly as in previous SMT entries. (personally, this is also a plus)

- Less opportunities to abuse weaknesses.
- Equipment is pretty freaking expensive.

Pretty fun experience overall, though I have to say physical + support is probably still my favorite MC build.

Weiss

Banned
Oh wow the Peace route is cringey.

"What do you think, Satan?" was fucking hysterical though.

oh my god Walter just said hoy

Weiss

Banned
And that's my War playthrough.

Doing a second run so soon after the first, and on the super mega happy route at that, made the writing flaws I overlooked come out in full force. I still like the cast quite a bit, they're charming and lovable at their bests and tolerable and cliche at worst which is more than I can say for the lows the P3 and 4 casts could hit, but getting bombarded by friendship speeches in a mainline MegaTen isn't something I want to go through again. However, I do want the games to maintain the same strong characterization this game had. It makes me feel more connected to the world and my journey.

Dagda got the fucking shaft, man.

cj_iwakura

And that's my War playthrough.

Doing a second run so soon after the first, and on the super mega happy route at that, made the writing flaws I overlooked come out in full force. I still like the cast quite a bit, they're charming and lovable and their bests and tolerable and cliche at worst which is more than I can say for the lows the P3 and 4 casts could hit, but getting bombarded by friendship speeches in a mainline MegaTen isn't something I want to go through again. However, I do want the games to maintain the same strong characterization this game had. It makes me feel more connected to the world and my journey.

Dagda got the fucking shaft, man.

At least he had a good run. The Divine Powers stumbled right out of he gate.

Man, if it wasn't full-on fanfic territory, I'd love to write a stronger version of Apocalypse's narrative with the Polytheist Alliance actually doing something interesting.

Instead of them just being a giant ominous threat, imagine if they were at the bargaining table along with the Messians and Gaians Merkabah and Lucifer. Taking more of an active role in things, not just
let's kill all of humanity because this world sucks. That should have been strictly Dagda's scheme.

CSX

ALright quickly started new game plus and fused all the new game+ exclusive demons. Thankfully, the game doesn't require you to replay up to endgame to unlock them :)

100% compendium. Life is complete

Weiss

Banned
I got Siegfried and Arimasaki by accident. Was great.

At least he had a good run. The Divine Powers stumbled right out of he gate.

Man, if it wasn't full-on fanfic territory, I'd love to write a stronger version of Apocalypse's narrative with the Polytheist Alliance actually doing something interesting.

Instead of them just being a giant ominous threat, imagine if they were at the bargaining table along with the Messians and Gaians Merkabah and Lucifer. Taking more of an active role in things, not just
let's kill all of humanity because this world sucks. That should have been strictly Dagda's scheme.

Well sorta. Krishna and co. want to take the souls and make their own universe with themselves on top. Dagda wants to tear down everything and return the gods to their forms as natural forces.

Hylian7

I'm still trying to completely wrap my head around the last dungeon. Spoilers for that:
I've unlocked 4 or 5 of the hourglass teleporter things, yet I'm still only in "1st Brane" how many Branes are there? Are there a billion or something? Is this why everyone says this dungeon is a nightmare?

I have attempted some of the DLC...good god it's pretty difficult. I'm level 87 right now, have demons in the high 90s and it's difficult.

Cleopatra:
Scraped by through the horde, and then had barely anything left and got wiped first turn against Cleopatra.
Diamond Realm:
This one is actually easier since it's a dungeon and you can save there, and go back if you die. I got to Demi-Fiend's room, and was very close to beating the horde there (there were 3 demons left on screen, meaning no more disappear until it's over. Then I got wiped by Mist Blade and Antichron.
Mikado:
Couldn't get past the battle after the Hope battle. Each time I attempt it, I get a little further though. The turn thing puts an interesting dynamic on it, and not in an annoying or impossible way like Twisted Tokyo.
I also picked up the Twisted Tokyo DLC, but haven't been that far down to get to it. The other DLCs I didn't bother picking up, but I think the only other substantial content DLC was the beach one, which just looks like pandery bullshit to me.

Opa-Pa

Gunslinger build seemed awesome for this game, but I'm such a sucker for physical + support in SMT in general that I still sticked to it in this one.

If I remember right, the final dungeon has 4 of those, and yes, it's goddamn awful. I suggest you start ignoring enemies (unless you're bellow level 99 or need skills to whisper) and items altogether and focus on advancing because otherwise it's gonna take a while.

Also the Diamond Realm seems pretty approachable at first but you're meant to destroy those hordes with ease because the final boss there it's nuts and you can't lower the difficulty for it without restarting the DLC (you keep the map).

asagami_

Banned
I'm still trying to completely wrap my head around the last dungeon. Spoilers for that:
I've unlocked 4 or 5 of the hourglass teleporter things, yet I'm still only in "1st Brane" how many Branes are there? Are there a billion or something? Is this why everyone says this dungeon is a nightmare?

I have attempted some of the DLC...good god it's pretty difficult. I'm level 87 right now, have demons in the high 90s and it's difficult.

Cleopatra:
Scraped by through the horde, and then had barely anything left and got wiped first turn against Cleopatra.
Diamond Realm:
This one is actually easier since it's a dungeon and you can save there, and go back if you die. I got to Demi-Fiend's room, and was very close to beating the horde there (there were 3 demons left on screen, meaning no more disappear until it's over. Then I got wiped by Mist Blade and Antichron.
Mikado:
Couldn't get past the battle after the Hope battle. Each time I attempt it, I get a little further though. The turn thing puts an interesting dynamic on it, and not in an annoying or impossible way like Twisted Tokyo.
I also picked up the Twisted Tokyo DLC, but haven't been that far down to get to it. The other DLCs I didn't bother picking up, but I think the only other substantial content DLC was the beach one, which just looks like pandery bullshit to me.

There are
4 branes.

The first one is kinda a maze. The second and the third a bit easier and straightforward. The fourth is HUGE, but you can reach YHVH pretty easily.

Mcdohl

@Camp Ichigaya

I killed
Lucifuge
, then a light pillar appeared in the middle of the room.

It warped me back to the beginning.

What am I supposed to do?

FINALLY finished this after making some great progress back in September and then getting sidetracked.

I loved this game. While I didn't have any major issues with SMT4, this game did an excellent job at shaking up the mechanics with the skill affinity stuff, smirk changes, partner system, and general rebalancing of when you actually get skills. It was a really different experience coming off of SMT4 where you could null all almost everything with ease. Probably my favorite in the series now that I'm all done. Amazing game.

RDreamer

Ouch, so... uh...
Vishnu-Flynn
.... I had a pretty easy time with every boss in this place and got to him and just got curb stomped quicker than I could realize what the hell was going on three times in a row. Not entirely sure what to do about him.

Hylian7

Last dungeon:
I was a actually okay with this dungeon for a while, and it wasn't really frustrating me. Then I had a moment where I said "fuck this dungeon". I got the Navarre dagger power, and remembered where a wall I could break with it was, then I did it and behind it was....FUCKING NOTHING. Why did they even do that? There was another one I found later to break that actually did go somewhere. I'm on the Second Brane.

asagami_

Banned
Ouch, so... uh...
Vishnu-Flynn
.... I had a pretty easy time with every boss in this place and got to him and just got curb stomped quicker than I could realize what the hell was going on three times in a row. Not entirely sure what to do about him.

Try bring
Hallelujah
to the battle. He is the perfect partner to use here.

Huh. Okay, great news, cheers.. Weird that they're releasing it on the exact same date as 7th Dragon III in Europe, sorta betting against themselves doing that (since the exact same people will probably want both). Physical as well, good stuff. Will make a fine Christmas present for myself now that Gravity Rush 2 got pushed to next year.

cj_iwakura

Last dungeon:
I was a actually okay with this dungeon for a while, and it wasn't really frustrating me. Then I had a moment where I said "fuck this dungeon". I got the Navarre dagger power, and remembered where a wall I could break with it was, then I did it and behind it was....FUCKING NOTHING. Why did they even do that? There was another one I found later to break that actually did go somewhere. I'm on the Second Brane.

If you find the way forward, move on. There is nothing worth finding after the Law/Chaos sections.

RDreamer

Try bring
Hallelujah
to the battle. He is the perfect partner to use here.

Tried that. Not entirely sure what good he would do, but I'm only really lasting a max of like 3 turns so maybe he's better later. I'm really not sure what the hell to do with this fight. I'm getting annihilated in a way I haven't this entire game.

Edit: And just like that I beat him. Guess I just needed to get past that first stage and be a little lucky.

Hylian7

If you find the way forward, move on. There is nothing worth finding after the Law/Chaos sections.
Final dungeon:
What is with all the fucking fanfare for dead ends? It's one thing if the path is completely open and you hit a dead end, but then there are places where there is absolutely nothing behind doors, wormwood, those things you need the Navarre Dagger for, and more. The point of those things from a design perspective is to draw the player's attention to that area, indicating there is either a way forward or something good there. The way this dungeon is would be more like if you got a key in a Zelda game, go into a room and it has absolutely nothing in it, effectively saying "find another key asshole!" The sad part is this would be a neat dungeon if it weren't for the crap like the dead ends behind locked areas. I feel like they just said fuck it and let some amateur designers make this dungeon.

My favorite thing about the final dungeon is
when those who have yet to reach the dungeon imagine something completely different based on misinterpreted impressions. No one can be prepared for that vacuum.

Maybe thematic value can found in its design.

KLoWn

Does anyone know a place where I can buy this game (EU) except for Amazon? They have it listed as coming out on December 31, which is way too late.

Lynx_7

You guys weren't kidding,
Twisted Tokyo's
gimmick is really stupid. It also makes the
Fiends
easier since it gives you ample time to heal yourself, so... What's the point, besides wasting your time?
Well, I already got
Matador
so I think I'm gonna call it a day and proceed to the last dungeon.

Mcdohl

I finished the quest "u have a guest" where you have to deliver an Orochi to the Fairy Forest.

It also improves your sword.

I got exp reward and all, but the quest is still not marked as complete.

Is this a known bug?

Top Bottom