• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

NSESN

Beat the the game some days ago, started new game plus to get the other good ending and finish comoendium, i have to beat the dlc too

I liked 4, but to me apocalypse is so much better. I hope DQ VIII delivers, because this game would have been the best way to send the 3DS off

JEKKI

aw man... noone told me which ending to get first, so I decided to go for [spoilers]friendship[/spoiler]

that said, I got like 70 app points! what should I get at this point?!?!

are there any fans of Auto Pinpoint? worth it? does the game pretty much play itself at that point??

NSESN

aw man... noone told me which ending to get first, so I decided to go for [spoilers]friendship[/spoiler]

that said, I got like 70 app points! what should I get at this point?!?!

are there any fans of Auto Pinpoint? worth it? does the game pretty much play itself at that point??

Do you have a save before
Dagda
?
If so just make the other choice

Opa-Pa

That ending is better for your first time because the other makes the last boss battles in the game arguably much harder.

At that point you want to focus your AP points in compendium discounts and those SP recovering apps, I guess. I didn't get auto pinpoint but it sounded boring.

Opa-Pa

Yes, but the stat works differently now. In Apocalypse it only dictates Gun (and gun skills) damage instead of most non-magic damage.

jackal27

Banned
Man this game really is better than IV? I still haven't bought it yet. I really loved IV, but I never finished it... I think I got pretty far though? It just seemed to drag a little.

cj_iwakura

Man this game really is better than IV? I still haven't bought it yet. I really loved IV, but I never finished it... I think I got pretty far though? It just seemed to drag a little.

Finish IV first, for sure. It'll pay off when you get to Apocalypse. The endgame of IV is a cinch(and a little underwhelming, par for the course).

JEKKI

Do you have a save before
Dagda
?
If so just make the other choice
yup, made 2 saves before, then made another 2 after each choice's respective boss battles!

That ending is better for your first time because the other makes the last boss battles in the game arguably much harder.

At that point you want to focus your AP points in compendium discounts and those SP recovering apps, I guess. I didn't get auto pinpoint but it sounded boring.
ah, well when I go for my 2nd ending I'm jus gonna drop the difficulty and rush to the end so I'm unsure if difficulty will be an issue anymore.

And yah, I already got SP Walk Recover and Fusion Discounts fully upgraded, gotta make the best of these last 70 points tho!

(looks like I stopped getting AP points after lvl 99 :(

Opa-Pa

I never thought about it but I think every single piece of equipment is new, save for stuff like demonicas. If not, then probably 90% of it is, at the very least.

bobawesome

Wow, that's good to hear. I was planning on trying to pick up Apocalypse soon anyway but I'm a sucker for this sort of thing in games.

redcrayon

Found Lucifer really tough after wiping the floor with Merkebah.

About to head into the Egg- what kind of level should I be looking at for the final boss fight (middle difficulty, 'conflict').

Found Lucifer really tough after wiping the floor with Merkebah.

About to head into the Egg- what kind of level should I be looking at for the final boss fight (middle difficulty, 'conflict').

Well Egg
does not contain the final boss
. Final dungeon is extremely long and lots of high xp demons, so I wouldn't worry about a level.

Kaname

Can anyone explain why some Free DLCs are listed as expired? I'm playing the recently released EU version and it was like this since I first started it.

redcrayon

Can anyone explain why some Free DLCs are listed as expired? I'm playing the recently released EU version and it was like this since I first started it.
I looked this up last week as I'm in the same boat- they havent been released here yet.

Here's the schedule for unreleased dlc:

Bonus Quest: Depths of Twisted Tokyo

Price: €1.49 / £0.99
Availability: 01/05/2017
Description: Obtain the “Eternal Torus” to reach its lowest level. Recommended for players who are near to or have completed the game.
Bonus Quest: A GodSlayer needs Items

Price: €3.49 / £2.49
Description: A Challenge Quest that lets you obtain HP/MP- and stat-increasing items. Must become an official Hunter before you can access it.
Bonus Add-On: Level Cap Unlock

Price: Free
Description: This free add-on unlocks the level cap, allowing you to exceed level 100.
Bonus Quest: Messiahs in the Diamond Realm

Price: €3.99 / £2.79
Description: Experience a short side story and fight alongside familiar faces to challenge an unexpected foe. Recommended for players who are near to or have completed the game.
Bonus Add-On: Lore 3: Tokyo and Mikado History

Price: Free
Description: This lore add-on is a secret entry in the Hunter database, for those interested in more of the game’s back story! Spoiler alert! This entry contains several spoilers for the main story.

Just got this for Christmas, so hopefully by the time the DLCs come out i will have finished the game just in time to play that free DLC (the level 100+ unlock is great stuff).

Finished the game a couple of weeks ago and loved it. SMT IV is my favorite RPG for 3DS and it was great visiting the same setting from another prespective. That final dungeon though, I found it worse than the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass...

Opa-Pa

Ideally you want to register them at least before fusing them, so if you ever want them back, you can get them with the same level and skills they had before "losing" them.

I re-register them pretty much every time I open the app just to be sure. And it can be useful to register them before they evolve too.

Ideally you want to register them at least before fusing them, so if you ever want them back, you can get them with the same level and skills they had before "losing" them.

I re-register them pretty much every time I open the app just to be sure. And it can be useful to register them before they evolve too.

Is there a way to know when they'll get the last hidden skill?

Opa-Pa

I don't think there is, so your safest bet is to just register them after they offer to teach you their skills (this is when they tell you they'll evolve as well).

It's kind of a lottery in the sense that their last skills aren't always worth it, so you have to decide if you want to stick with them in hopes of getting something good, or fuse them right away... Or your can check the wiki, I guess (they didn't have much info on these back then, but by now I bet they have most demons with their skill lists and level requirements).

redcrayon

This final dungeon...

Having just played Trails of Cold Steel 2, what is it with JRPGs having final dungeons with the
most boring geometric layouts, just floating in space? Is it supposed to be otherworldly or is it just that they figure it's the part of the game the least amount of players will see, so it warrants the least effort :D

There's no reason for it to be so long, each section could be half the size and keep all the puzzles intact, which would actually make the map more useful.

Ah well, finished now. That dungeon really feels tacked on and unnecessary considering that the
various conflicts between Merkabah, Lucifer, Krishna, Dagda and Danu over the previous 50 hours are all wrapped up beforehand, as was character development of the main cast. It felt more like a DLC/postgame dungeon than a culmination of the story that had preceded it.

Also, one quick question about lore. (Spoilers for late game)
Time supposedly flowed much, much faster in Mikado than Tokyo according to the timeline, allowing it to be a thousand years (or whatever) since it's founding by Akira compared to 25 in Tokyo for Fujiwara and Skins. What happened when people starting moving freely between them and holes started being torn in the firmament, is it just assumed that as soon as Flynn reaches Tokyo, time in Mikado slows down to 'normal' or something? It doesn't really seem addressed, but I thought it weird that the party are fighting the clock because of the countdown to the full moon when they head to Mikado, but no one mentions that time might be a problem. Seems like something Nozumi might have considered seeing as time-distortion in Fairie lands is a common part of the myths.

All in all I really enjoyed it, but they really could have dialled back the 'power of friendship' nonsense, it became insanely repetitive towards the end.

Good gravy. From the end of 3/8 I've been hitting all these crazy back to bosses non-stop. Leave me alone game.

Is there a calculator for getting skills on certain demons?

redcrayon

So are the
armors
found in the last dungeon any helpful against
Satan and YHVH
?
Depends on your stats
as to which doors you can go through I think. I had a magic/agility build and didn't find any armour that offered resistances, although the headgear and trousers offered better HP and agility increases than the stuff I was wearing. I was quite happy with that as I'd just spent 440,000 macca on the superior samurai coat from the shop in Ginza (that requires the black card), and its multiple resistances and zero weaknesses seemed pretty good.
I stacked ten armour upgrade kits on it too, which made me glad that I'd been saving them all game.

I'd be interested to know what
resistances the upper body piece of the armour found in the Final dungeon offers though.

To be honest, their attack patterns had
very few moves that resistances apply to anyway. A smattering of physical attacks and a bit of fire/dark as far as I remember. Mostly it's neutral almighty stuff.

As always, having a well-rounded team with some strong reserves you can rotate in, and demons that can revive/summon, helps.

Dascu

Also, one quick question about lore. (Spoilers for late game)
Time supposedly flowed much, much faster in Mikado than Tokyo according to the timeline, allowing it to be a thousand years (or whatever) since it's founding by Akira compared to 25 in Tokyo for Fujiwara and Skins. What happened when people starting moving freely between them and holes started being torn in the firmament, is it just assumed that as soon as Flynn reaches Tokyo, time in Mikado slows down to 'normal' or something? It doesn't really seem addressed, but I thought it weird that the party are fighting the clock because of the countdown to the full moon when they head to Mikado, but no one mentions that time might be a problem. Seems like something Nozumi might have considered seeing as time-distortion in Fairie lands is a common part of the myths.

Fairly certain this is actually addressed in either some dialogue or in a lore entry.
Time-flow was equalized at some point when the story of the game began. I forgot the cause. The link between Sky Tower and the upper Firmament being restored or something?

FluxWaveZ

Fairly certain this is actually addressed in either some dialogue or in a lore entry.
Time-flow was equalized at some point when the story of the game began. I forgot the cause. The link between Sky Tower and the upper Firmament being restored or something?

Are you certain that
it was when the game began? Because I could have sworn it was when the game ended. I also thought that section of the game was weird because no one was considering time moving at a faster pace when they were up there.

Korigama

Still early in the game just after officially becoming a Hunter, so last left off after beating the
King Frost
boss. I had read that some people had trouble with him, but that one only took me one try. No complaints about Asahi from me, but I did find the Jade Dagger gimmick introduced annoying.

Doi did well in overhauling the art for Centaur and Napaea, though I am aware that there are others accounted for as well.

Are you certain that
it was when the game began? Because I could have sworn it was when the game ended. I also thought that section of the game was weird because no one was considering time moving at a faster pace when they were up there.

neither it was when
Shesha broke through the firmament

The questing improvement is a massive one for me. No more - go here to activate and go back to person to close, now it just activates automatically after certain points or when you reach certain levels and closes off after you complete it right away. Also, navigating the world map is so much easier now and thank fuck for demons not rushing at you the moment you enter the overworld map. VA is also really quite good, especially Dagda, Gaston, Navarre and
Lucifer
. I kinda miss Nozomi's old voice, though. :(

Still early in the game just after officially becoming a Hunter, so last left off after beating the
King Frost
boss. I had read that some people had trouble with him, but that one only took me one try. No complaints about Asahi from me, but I did find the Jade Dagger gimmick introduced annoying.

Doi did well in overhauling the art for Centaur and Napaea, though I am aware that there are others accounted for as well.

Agreed about (boss spoiler)
King Frost
. Playing on War and beat him on my first try as well. Had to heal like crazy after he started spamming
King Bufula
though.

Doi did a great job as Demon Artist this time. I'm pretty confident in his abilities going forward now. A shame he didn't just do it in IV as well, that game just had such jarring "Art Direction" and made me sour on it to not only replace a legend like Kaneko with crap art like that (or at least decent art that sticks out like a bleeding sore thumb in SMTIV). Also feel that the character designs are better than IV's as well. His Demon Art actually aligns up much better with Kaneko's designs than I thought they would, which is nice. Music is more ambient this time, it seems. I really like the piano synth tune that plays during dialogue scenes.

Don't find Asahi annoying at all, either. May be because I am used to characters like that in DDS (Sera) and Persona? At least the characters in Apocalypse have some dynamic to them unlike SMTIV's, which were a bore and forgettable.

Korigama

With all of the positive things I've said in mind, though, I have no end of obscenities to direct toward whoever decided to not only keep enemy reinforcements, but let them still be able to preempt the player as well. It's the exact same sort of BS that led to party wipes for me in the original as well as a result of how vital getting to go first is with this battle system. Having a horde that does this constantly in
Kanda-no-yashiro
, represented by a tiny demon on the field that isn't even present in said horde making even less sense, with the situation only exacerbated by the issue of the horde having high HP and Hama no longer being a guaranteed instant kill (even with Smirk).

Very disappointing to see that garbage persist.

Tizoc

Why is demon tecruitment
Still a pain in the butt?
You comply twice and keep refusing and they still dont want to join u

Cruixant

So... I'm at the alignment lock and I have a few questions about the endings. Endgame spoilers:
I don't really understand how the routes or, more precisely, the alignment system works in this game. Is this like in the original where depending on the balance of your alignment and the choice at the Whites (which I assume is the equivalent of the one at the Cosmic Egg) you could end up neutral? Or can you just choose whichever ending you want?

I ask this because Steven said at the beginning that I could choose my own path instead of Dagda's or Danu's, but since there isn't any way to actually check your alignment it's kind of confusing to understand the effects of your choices up to this point. I've been mostly picking friendship choices over selfishness, but it doesn't seem to really matter in the end because, apparently, you can still decide to kill them all. So I guess my question is: Can you only side with Dagda or Danu? What about the supposedly third option? I feel like I'm missing something here.

jonjonaug

So... I'm at the alignment lock and I have a few questions about the endings. Endgame spoilers:
I don't really understand how the routes or, more precisely, the alignment system works in this game. Is this like in the original where depending on the balance of your alignment and the choice at the Whites (which I assume is the equivalent of the one at the Cosmic Egg) you could end up neutral? Or can you just choose whichever ending you want?

I ask this because Steven said at the beginning that I could choose my own path instead of Dagda's or Danu's, but since there isn't any way to actually check your alignment it's kind of confusing to understand the effects of your choices up to this point. I've been mostly picking friendship choices over selfishness, but it doesn't seem to really matter in the end because, apparently, you can still decide to kill them all. So I guess my question is: Can you only side with Dagda or Danu? What about the supposedly third option? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Those are the only options, BUT
if you've been heavily favoring one route the whole game and pick the other at the split, you are severely penalized.

Top Bottom