• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

Taruranto

What,
the Cosmig Egg isn't the final dungeon
?

pYQ7rcA.jpg

I was ready to end this 5 hours ago, I'm also over-leveled as hell, at this point any new demon I fuse it's because I like the look more than anything.

PK Gaming

Yeah dude, the final dungeon is infamously bad.

Don't even try to finish the game off today, because that shit is whack. Break up your place sessions to avoid getting burned out.

Taruranto

Finished. The final boss was pretty tough despite the fact I was level 102 with top-tier demons, it took me 3 tries,
It was pretty hard to keep up with his buffs+smirk move, so the third time I switched Shiva and Alalt in my party, making his physical attacks useless. Flynn also removed his Ice resistance, which resulted in some top-tier damage from Nanashi. Even Hallelujah ended up being fairly useful once he started to Bufudyne for 2k.

Overall I liked it more than IV because the gameplay definitely felt like an improvement, even if the game didn't fix some of the flaws of IV gameplay. Exploring the towns was really a chore (again) and I still can't tell them apart now, and the skill system was still absolutely broken.

The plot was pretty... anime is a mistake and it felt like it relied on deus-ex machinas a lot, but I really like SMT4 setting. I guess...
I didn't like how they made Lucifer some sort of ploy from YHVH, it makes the chaos sub-plot in SMTIV sorta... meh?

PK Gaming

Finished. The final boss was pretty tough despite the fact I was level 102 with top-tier demons, it took me 3 tries,
It was pretty hard to keep up with his buffs+smirk move, so the third time I switched Shiva and Alalt in my party, making his physical attacks useless. Flynn also removed his Ice resistance, which resulted in some top-tier damage from Nanashi. Even Hallelujah ended up being fairly useful once he started to Bufudyne for 2k.

Overall I liked it more than IV because the gameplay definitely felt like an improvement, even if the game didn't fix some of the flaws of IV gameplay. Exploring the towns was really a chore (again) and I still can't tell them apart now, and the skill system was still absolutely broken.

The plot was pretty... anime is a mistake and it felt like it relied on deus-ex machinas a lot, but I really like SMT4 setting. I guess...
I didn't like how they made Lucifer some sort of ploy from YHVH, it makes the chaos sub-plot in SMTIV sorta... meh?

That sounds about right. The gameplay is better, and the QoL changes are awesome, though anime was most definitely a mistake. Or to be more specific, Toki and Nanashi were a mistake because they straight up drag down the entire experience (the rest of the cast was killer though). The divine powers were great but I wasn't feeling the conflict against the main, main antagonist. That final boss battle was truly amazing though; one of the best the series has to offer, bar none.

Taruranto

To be honest I'm not even sure what the Divine Powers were trying to do exactly. They had a kick-ass introduction, but their whole development was pretty meh.

I liked Krisha's design if anything, even if the shorts were a bit silly. Danu was also a pretty great design overall. (I can't remember if she was in IV) Doi is getting better, but he still can't touch Lord Kaneko.

PK Gaming

To be honest I'm not even sure what the Divine Powers were trying to do exactly. They had a kick-ass introduction, but their whole development was pretty meh.

I liked Krisha's design if anything, even if the shorts were a bit silly. Danu was also a pretty great design overall. (I can't remember if she was in IV) Doi is getting better, but he still can't touch Lord Kaneko.

Seemed like they wanted to
create a new universe where humans were fused with Gods in one giant singularity.
Their overall goal was pretty simple, but I really liked how Krishna went about accomplishing his goals. And yeah their designs were ace.

I'm at the
Cosmic Egg
and it's route choosing time, which one should I do first ?

Side with Dagda or against Dagda ?
Knowing I'll lose every item I have if I side with him -_-

Opa-Pa

Beating the game is definitely doable without the items, even if you choose the hardest path, but its definitely tougher, so I'd leave that one for last, personally.

Save in another slot before the decision so you can go back after beating the game once, it's what I did.

Thanks ! Any advice for grinding without getting the DLC ? Endgame spoilers :
Vishnu Flynn is handing my ass to me and I don't want to put the difficulty down

Opa-Pa

I never really grinded, but if you really want to you could spend some time at Twisted Tokyo. Not only it has strong demons but you can unlock the fiends for fusion and they're obviously very useful. Matador in particular stayed in my party for the rest of the game.

That one boss is definitely tricky tho, try with different partners too if your usual setup isn't doing the trick.

Thanks, but I kinda need to grind tbh...

Also in Twisted Tokyo
David is escaping my magic with Marakakarn...only demon with Marakabreak is Alilat at level 83 ;_;

zelhawks37

Finally got back into this and got to the final boss
YHVH
. Although I died a few times already, the fight itself is freaking amazing. I guess I got to have
Dekaja
to have a chance.
The anarachy route is really interesting and Im glad I chose it on my first playthrough. Didnt like killing my friends and making Asahi a 'goddess though lol

Edit: I also dont see the big deal about the last dungeon tbh. Its long, but other than the stupid one way passages and horde encounters, it isnt terrible. I really liked the music too.

Final Boss
second form is kicking my ass....gotta fuse a demon with Magaon.

Also, holy shit at that final dungeon. It's super shitty because of how boring and how much of a hassle it is.

Phew, finally beat the game, after 72 hours of playtime. The final boss was a bitch
I think I won out of sheer attrition as in the end it only spammed physical attacks so I think it couldn't spam AoE attacks. Thank god for physical resistances cancelling press turns.
Also I ran into the untranslated text in the fight vs Satan. Guess I'm not as good as Atlus translators T_T

I would've loved beated the second route
I did the pacifist route
but that would mean redoing the last dungeon and that is absolutely out of the fucking question. Frankly the game is stellar except for that last dungeon. Like WTF Atlus what were you thinking ?

I loved the game (as I loved the first one), and contrary to many seem to think, I didn't find the story that "anime". Not any more than other entries in the series.
Even if I liked SMT4's story more than Apocalypse (because of its darker tone) I thought Apocalypse was pretty exciting and I enjoyed it a lot. Also it reminded of Persona 4
I mean it's like one of the most upbeat endings in the SMT lore

For all the rest, Apocalypse is definitely the better game. It has refined gameplay, a lot less issues than the first and a lot of little things added that make the game a lot more enjoyable to play. I really liked the partner system, how you'd automatically receive sidequests (I did all of them) and the freaking ESTOMA button on the bottom screen is a godsend.

SMT IV Apocalypse is one of the best RPGs of the system alongside SMT IV.
Only thing I'd advise against is to play them right after the other.

Super excited for SMT Switch and on to Devil Survivor Overclocked !

The last boss is wrecking my shit after his second form. Aaargh

My tips :
- Fuse demons with a physical absorbing/Repelling resistance. It will remove YHVH's press turns
- Also, MAGAON is a must (remove smirk)
- Healing knowhow (demons can use items) can also save your ass.
- Replenish Dekaja stones and use liberally.
- Flynn's Godslayer sword is vital for this fight. You have to give YHVH at least one weakness and spam it to him.
- Don't use Luster Candy as he will debuff you easily.
- Debilitate is useful.
- Save up Isabeau's MP for healing, Jonathan for removing debuffs and Walter for removing YHVH's buffs
- I found Navarre to be the most useful partner in this fight
- If your party gets wrecked try to play smartly (by using a physical repelling demon for example)
- Apparently fusing Krishna is very useful

It's a hard fight even at lvl 99, it took me a few tries in the standard difficulty.

Good stuff. The thing is he wrecked my shit on the first turn after the transformation, so I couldn't even do anything.

If I recall correctly
he smirks up and gets a +3 buff on all of his stats in his first press turn then just scorning you
So really the second part of the fight is trying to inflict maximum damage without letting him being buffed/smirking because he WILL destroy you :)

Realeza

Banned
Fuck man. This is giving me some Mem Aleph flashbacks (I never beat her).

That +9 attack he has wipes my whole team, with doping activated. 😂

I'm only halfway through but going by this thread the final boss is quite a challenge. I wonder if it's harder than Strange Journey's. It's interesting because up until now the game is easier than I expected.

Realeza

Banned
Goddamn. I bought dlc thinking it will help me gain experience for the final boss but the shit is equally hard. Cleopatra are you kidding me?

cj_iwakura

I'm only halfway through but going by this thread the final boss is quite a challenge. I wonder if it's harder than Strange Journey's. It's interesting because up until now the game is easier than I expected.

Depends. IMO, it's a more balanced fight. It's tough all the way through, no real one shot BS like MA.

MA is pure luck. Keep at her until you get an easy pattern and you'll steamroll her like I ddi. (AGI build helped a lot too.)

Depends. IMO, it's a more balanced fight. It's tough all the way through, no real one shot BS like MA.

MA is pure luck. Keep at her until you get an easy pattern and you'll steamroll her like I ddi. (AGI build helped a lot too.)

Oh I did beat her back when I played it, never left a SMT game unfinished and I've played most of them.

I have to admit that Apocalypse's story isn't grabing me like SMT games always tend to do and I think it might be because the usual feeling of mistery and foreboding is lost due to the setting being so familiar.

Fisico

My tips :
- Fuse demons with a physical absorbing/Repelling resistance. It will remove YHVH's press turns
- Also, MAGAON is a must (remove smirk)
- Healing knowhow (demons can use items) can also save your ass.
- Replenish Dekaja stones and use liberally.
- Flynn's Godslayer sword is vital for this fight. You have to give YHVH at least one weakness and spam it to him.
- Don't use Luster Candy as he will debuff you easily.
- Debilitate is useful.
- Save up Isabeau's MP for healing, Jonathan for removing debuffs and Walter for removing YHVH's buffs
- I found Navarre to be the most useful partner in this fight
- If your party gets wrecked try to play smartly (by using a physical repelling demon for example)
- Apparently fusing Krishna is very useful

It's a hard fight even at lvl 99, it took me a few tries in the standard difficulty.

Basically following every bullet point, still getting wrecked.
It's a bit ridiculous.

Fisico

So I beat him on my 3rd try with this build 5th try overall

MC 99 Mag Build (360) Agility 215 Luck 180 maybe, thunder reign, deadly wind, mediarahan energy drain
Shiva 99 drain physical, akasha arts, ziodyne, hamaon
Mitrah Buddah
99, rs phys, magaon luster candy glacial blast energy drain doping, invitation
Krishnah
97, combat tara, mediarahan, deadly wind, ziodyne

They all have draconic reaction.

I followed every step and it... kinda worked this time, basically I was lucky when at some point he decided to use a phys attack against Shiva, he lost all his actions he was debuffed at the time, I was buffed and he was weakened to most attack so I could spam Thunder Reign - Deadly Wind - Akasha Arts, Glacial Blast for 8 actions, he probably lost like 15k HP in one turn lol.

Previous times it never happened so I guess I was lucky for once, or maybe unlucky at the previous attempts.

Realeza

Banned
Who's the best partner for this? I'm taking Nozomi because of her ability to take away smirks (specially useful during the 2nd form).

Fisico

I used Navarre because he can buff you, doping you, debuff the boss, remove debuff on you or buff on the boss.
To remove Smirk you have
Walter
on the other team and you'd be better if your team has a demon who has the skill too

Considering magaon doesn't cost much MP while debilitate cost a shitton you'd be better using your own demon for that instead of your partner (I think they have infinite MP lol?)

Opa-Pa

What difficulty level are you playing on? On conflict you shouldn't even /need/ level 99, but on war he gave me trouble even at level 110+.

For a partner I used Navarre because he automatically exploits weaknesses once you've created them and buffs and debuffs as needed, but I imagine
Asahi
can be helpful too. I'd recommend leveling up Shiva to get drain phys to make him lose some turns, and making an Alilat with debilitate/luster candy/mediarahan/energy drain/mana surge/magaon (optional)* for good support as well, it's a special fusion.

If you're well prepared, the second form is just a matter of being cautious and keeping his smirks and buffs in check. As long as you use dekunda and dekaja as needed, take away his smirks, and keep your party at +1 everything most of the time, he WILL go down.

Another thing people overlook is that the second form resets weaknesses, so you should focus on creating just one for the first form to save MP.

Also I personally didn't do this, but having an Innana with most spells for coverage +mana surge/energy drain seems like a no brainer for this boss.

*Using magaon with just
Walter
is viable on conflict, but on war you don't want to take any chances and should have Nanashi, a demon, or both with it.

Realeza

Banned
Finally beat it damn. Mara with repel physical attacks the real MVP of the match.

Flynn's team went down on the last turn and I don't have anybody with magaon in my party, but YWHV used rampage and Mara and Shiva absorbed and reflected everything.

Overall it was a fucking amazing game. Favorite SMT easily.

Opa-Pa

I hear you, I found the final boss pretty challenging but very enjoyable as well, that's the sweetspot. IV's end bosses were embarrassing and made the barren neutral route even worse.

Finally beat it damn. Mara with repel physical attacks the real MVP of the match.

Flynn's team went down on the last turn and I don't have anybody with magaon in my party, but YWHV used rampage and Mara and Shiva absorbed and reflected everything.

Overall it was a fucking amazing game. Favorite SMT easily.

Cheers! I agree, it's definitely up there with the best.

Fisico

I hope I'm not the only one who'll gladly take a vicious boss fight over a cakewalk like IV-1's.

Funny because I tried to remember who SMT IV last boss was a few weeks ago and wasn't 100% certain, I had to check to make sure and had that moment
"Oh yes it was that I didn't misremember then"

Top Bottom