• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

VARIA

Who said the story is "bad"? I don't think I've seen anyone saying that.

These reviewers go on about boring characters. Personally, if the characters are weak, I wont care about the story.

But I didn’t care about the human characters, even during the dramatic moments. They just didn’t seem to have much in the way of motivation; rather, they were sort of a traveling peanut gallery, there to comment on all the weirdness around them for the benefit of my silent protagonist. - IGN

It's occasionally weak, held back by menial character development… - Gamespot

So-so story, bland characters... - Kotaku

Soulhouf

I humbly request a transparent Metatron, if he hasn't be claimed yet.

Here

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Even in those comments I don't see the word "bad" anywhere. Maybe those reviewers were expecting more chirpy characters like in Pursona.

Einbroch

Banned
Those chibi demons, is Raja Naga taken? If not I call dibs~ I'm stuck on a computer in safe mode without PS so if someone could pull him out of the big picture for me that would be magical~
I'm just so sad that he's not in this game *sobs* Naga is noob tier XD

*edit* just hacked him out from the pic for now, but if anyone can make a fancier not-blocky version that would be awesome :3

WHOOPS LOOKS BAD LEMME FIX
ibxeXRuj5uC6tL.gif

There we go.

I've put about 3-4 hours into this (got this last Thursday, but didn't have much time to play), and it's pretty amazing.

The music is god-tier awesome, and I finally feel like I may get "into" an SMT game. I tried to play Devil Survivor and Soul Hackers, but I couldn't get into them.

Animekatt

Picked this up as soon as Gamestop opened, so I can have it before work. Now to actually finish work so I can play this. It will be my first SMT game.

Frosteey

Neo Member
lmao I've never heard of this. Could you elaborate? Is there discussion about this in the old official SJ thread?

I don't remember too much about the game honestly but.

I pretty much went through the whole thing with a Luck main character and a Hua Po I supercharged with Magic.

Luck affected status hit rates, and there was a gun or something that caused petrify? So there were long stretches where I would just petrify everything I came across. Or something.

Basically just that status effects were actually good and the main character was kind of lame a lot of the time otherwise.

Daft_Cat

I feel like I can't find any decent gameplay breakdowns of this... and absolutely no video reviews whatsoever. What gives?

I was hoping to give it a try, but a lot of the gameplay videos take place in samey looking brown dungeons. I thought this game took place in a
modernish Tokyo, as well.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I'm a huge Persona/Nocturne fan, so I'll pick it up anyway. I just wish I had seen a bit more of it before diving in.

kunonabi

Damn, my copy got sent to my Dallas residence. I won't have access to it for like a month. Oh well, I guess I'll finish EOIV in the meantime.

I feel like I can't find any decent gameplay breakdowns of this... and absolutely no video reviews whatsoever. What gives?

I was hoping to give it a try, but a lot of the gameplay videos take place in samey looking brown dungeons. I thought this game took place in a

I'm a huge Persona/Nocturne fan, so I'll pick it up anyway. I just wish I had seen a bit more of it before diving in.
A bit spoilerish for a trailer but....

You do
go to Tokyo sometime after the first dungeon.

*edit* Beaten!

Tirod

Anyone know if there's going to be an Official Design Works release of SMT IV in Japan? I've gone out of my way to get a variety of Persona, Devil Survivor, and Catherine artbooks, would love to have one for this.

brinstar

I've been really enjoying my fellow Samurai companions so far. I'm surprised at how nice and friendly Walter and Jonathan are. That's why it makes me sad to look at the boxart. Cause I know it's all gonna go to shit :(

Tamanon

Banned
Got my copy. Looks like the initial shipment at my Gamestop was all reserved. Now to wsit for my eight hour workday to be over.

Stoof

Has anyone taken number 6 from the chibi demons? I don't know the name, but if it's available would someone be so kind as to make it into a transparent avatar?

Nevermind, saw it was taken. :(

Jessicat

Anyone know if there's going to be an Official Design Works release of SMT IV in Japan? I've gone out of my way to get a variety of Persona, Devil Survivor, and Catherine artbooks, would love to have one for this.
There were 3 volume of Kaneko Works that were released a while back that are full of the old designs used in the game.... there's an SMTIV artbook coming out but no idea if it's getting localized [which sucks because I dunno if I should import or wait it out XD] Someone mentioned it on the Atlus forums, let me go grab some links...

*edit* well there's a DX edition available here: http://ebten.jp/eb-store/p/7015013070301/
You'd need a proxy to get it though, havent seen any webshops taking pre-orders for it ._.

The regular edition is on Amazon JP, just be prepared to either proxy it or take the hit for obscenely overpriced EMS shipping ;>> There is a "complete guide book" as well, just search SMT and you should see them there as the first 2 books~ Good luck!

Alright, screw it. I'm going to grab a copy after work for the bonus $30 eshop credit. Hopefully the story is good enough to make up for the weakened battle system.

And hopefully there's a path where you get to team up with Lucifer again. Chaos for life!

Totakeke

Wow, the very beginning is really hard when you don't have any demons, are they really serious? Guess they also wanted to introduce you to the death mechanic.

It's a silly thing, but I love the main character's voice when he calls up Burroughs. It's like perfect!

TEJ

Okay so I bought FEA off the e-shop earlier in the year {i already had my 3DS registered to club nintendo before that purchase}, just registered SMT4.......and uh the bonus thing shows up in my to-do list but when I click on "to-do" it sends me to a registration page and i'm more than a little bit confused as to what I should be doing.

Please help?

Top Bottom