• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

thetrin said:
You never played Nocturne? Man, you're missing out. (that was directed at electroshockwave, but it applies to you too, tiesto)

I'm really interested in Nocturne but even used copies seem to be quite expensive relative to what I usually buy games for and I hardly ever play on the PS2 anymore. Most time I do have for console gaming I spend on the PS3.

I think I'll get Strange Journey but I don't know if I'll do it immediately, Infinite Space comes out here next week...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I need to replay Nocturne one day. I only got to play it for a short while back in college because a friend let me borrow it back when it was ultra rare and still going for >$100 on eBay, but then he wanted the game back. :mad:

Llyranor

Really looking forward to this. Big fan of dungeon crawling, and the demon-fusing should help keep the gameplay and party fresh throughout the game. Main concern is how Bebpo mentions some grinding might actually be necessary for the end-boss :(

Is neutral supposed to be the hardest path or something?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fragamemnon said:
Ridiculous concept, over-engineered systems with lots of "knobs and switches" (i.e. customization), dungeon crawling, and tons of numbers and stats. Basically everything good about Japanese RPG design.

Bought a DS just for this and Infinite Space.

Pretty much! Welcome! All the best JRPGs are here.

Llyranor said:
Is neutral supposed to be the hardest path or something?

Rather than fighting heaven or hell you get to fight them both.

Hmm guess I'll preorder this. I've played through approximately zero SMT games though. At least they're all pretty cheap and readily available.

totowhoa

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I'm really interested in Nocturne but even used copies seem to be quite expensive relative to what I usually buy games for and I hardly ever play on the PS2 anymore. Most time I do have for console gaming I spend on the PS3.

I think I'll get Strange Journey but I don't know if I'll do it immediately, Infinite Space comes out here next week...

$30 USD on Amazon for a new copy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024W1U6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gift-wrap available :) Seriously, anybody in this thread who hasn't played nocturne needs to pick it up off of amazon while it's there. I bought mine used for 40 bucks a long time ago, and after playing it as much as I have, I'd willingly re-buy a used copy for much more if I ever needed to. Like much of GAF, I've only played all the U.S. SMT games, but nocturne's my favorite :D

Edit: They also have some used and complete copies of the CE with the soundtrack up now in the marketplace, too. You'll have to pay at least twice the asking price of the standalone new product that amazon offers, though.

MechaX

Archie said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376264

Bebpo had some very detailed impressions on the last page of that thread.

Wow. I didn't even remember that I posted in that thread!

The complaints about the main character being useless kinda worries me (I thought Nocturne brought us past the days of the mostly useless main characters of the SMT I, II, and to a lesser extent the If titles). With that said, this still seems like the closest thing to old school SMT. Dungeon-wise, I'm having a hard time imagining that SJ could top some of I and II's final dungeons (like the Neutral route Cathedral from SMT I).

Hopefully I won't get burned by this title like I did with Persona PSP. I just could not get into that game for the life of me.

totowhoa

Banned
MechaX said:
Wow. I didn't even remember that I posted in that thread!

The complaints about the main character being useless kinda worries me (I thought Nocturne brought us past the days of the mostly useless main characters of the SMT I, II, and to a lesser extent the If titles). With that said, this still seems like the closest thing to old school SMT. Dungeon-wise, I'm having a hard time imagining that SJ could top some of I and II's final dungeons (like the Neutral route Cathedral from SMT I).

Hopefully I won't get burned by this title like I did with Persona PSP. I just could not get into that game for the life of me.

Yeah, the random stat stuff discussed on that page kind of worried me too. I played a wee bit of SMT 2 (just a couple of hours), so I can't really compare what was said about the MC to the previous SMT games. I didn't read much of the thread so I that I'd avoid gameplay spoilers, but is this the reason the MC is inferior?

Edit: and while I've tried to steer clear of too much gameplay info and videos, the little that I've seen has left me confident that this won't be as crappy as P1 was. Reminds me of the SMT 1 and 2 given the videos I've watched dungeon wise and the bit that I've played, minus the city.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Segata Sanshiro said:
Woohoo, SMT4! At last the real RPG of March is arriving!

I like the way you think, Segata. Always have.

So, I only started to become interested in SMT due to P3/P4, and I didn't play Nocturne, but I'm pretty interested in SMT games now. I'm especially interested in Strange Journey since it is sci-fi based. Do you guys think someone who only played the Persona games would like this game?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
NichM said:
Only Strange Journey is cool enough to have a ϟ in its official thread title.

The lightning bolt should have shown up after "Shin Megami Tensei" and before "Strange Journey" to act as a faux four.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Scythesurge said:
So, I only started to become interested in SMT due to P3/P4, and I didn't play Nocturne, but I'm pretty interested in SMT games now. I'm especially interested in Strange Journey since it is sci-fi based. Do you guys think someone who only played the Persona games would like this game?
Yessir.

thetrin

I wish Atlus JP had had the balls to call it SMT 4.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I thought the only reason it wasn't officially called SMT 4 was because it took place somewhere other than Tokyo?

totowhoa

Banned
Scythesurge said:

You won't get the breaks that you had in the persona games. Battling will be pretty nonstop, although you can alter the encounter rate with skills or items. Demon fusing is more important, so if you enjoyed that aspect of the persona games, then you'll like it. Although I haven't played the japanese SMT 1 and 2 games, I've heard enough of about them... and they seem to be at least as hard as nocturne was. Given that, I'd expect a more difficult game, since the personas were a bit easier. All in all, if you like dungeon crawling, the strategy that comes with fighting every enemy/boss encounter, and demon fusing from persona then you should probably pick this up :D The dungeons will be much more interesting and involved than the bland persona dungeons, too. Maze-like, warps, etc.

NichM

Banned
Himuro said:
But IS it SMT4?

It's SMT Strange Journey, an unnumbered entry in the main SMT series. I feel like arguments that it's "really" SMT4 are just ways to troll anti-handheld fools into raging that the next "true" entry in the series wouldn't be on DS (even though this is as true an entry as you get). A fine pasttime, but the game's still called what it's called.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Larsen B said:
What's this about a neutral path?

Is there some sort of karma system that changes enemies you face?
If it is anything like other SMT games, then your responses to NPC conversations put you on a 'path' that determines your ending and what demons you can recruit. The three paths are typically:

Law - Seeks order at the cost of personal freedom
Chaos - Personal freedom with anarchy
Neutral - Doesn't follow either path.

If you go neutral, you piss off both law and chaos sides and end up having to fight them both.

thetrin

NichM said:
It's SMT Strange Journey, an unnumbered entry in the main SMT series. I feel like arguments that it's "really" SMT4 are just ways to troll anti-handheld fools into raging that the next "true" entry in the series wouldn't be on DS (even though this is as true an entry as you get). A fine pasttime, but the game's still called what it's called.

Nich, don't lie. You secretly call it SMT4 around the office, don't you? :lol

Himuro said:
I agree. I liken it to something like SMT If, not that it matters what it's called so long as it's awesome.

In the end, this is true. It doesn't matter. It wouldn't have gotten a 4 in the US anyway.

I will always call it SMT4. Then when SMT4 comes out, I will call that SMT5. Then, when Etrian Odyssey 3 comes out, I will call it SMT6. Then when SMT5 comes out, I will call it late for dinner.

So I have this preordered (love supporting Atlus) but don't really know a ton about it. Mostly just want to know about difficulty: how brutal is the game, and is there a Beginner difficulty like in P4?

Xater

darkressurection said:
So I have this preordered (love supporting Atlus) but don't really know a ton about it. Mostly just want to know about difficulty: how brutal is the game, and is there a Beginner difficulty like in P4?

That's actually a good question. Nocturne was kicking my ass at times. :lol

thetrin

Making the game mission based on a handheld is fucking genius. Nothing I hate more than playing a long sweeping game, and forgetting where I'm going because I get interrupted.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
duckroll in the JP SJ thread said:
SJ is definitely designed like a Megaten game in the sense that while it starts off pretty tough, as you familiarize yourself with the fusion options, and the combat mechanics, you will start to build really good demon teams, as well as backups, and it becomes much easier. On a whole the game is much "easier" than EO, and rewards the player significantly for building a party which is good at attacking weaknesses, as well as keeping in the same alignment to take full advantage of Devil Co-Op.

The game is definitely designed such that as story events change the main mission, you can keep playing and experience the scenario without turning the game into a draggy grind of going back and forth between the dungeon and the ship just to make small steps of progress.

That's not to say you won't die every now and then, especially if you're careless or you encounter new foes your party build might not be equipped to handle. But such deaths are not something you have to grind to overcome, but simply requires a change in strategy. There are quite a substantial number of save points throughout each dungeon, so that's another thing that really helps the pacing.

So difficult, but manageable.

Volcynika

I think it does but just to ask and see if I'm right, does it have a suspend save? Or is it just that you're able to save constantly or whatever?

NichM

Banned
Volcynika said:
I think it does but just to ask and see if I'm right, does it have a suspend save? Or is it just that you're able to save constantly or whatever?

No, they said in one of the JP blog posts that they went with a second save slot over a suspend save, reasoning that you can always just close your DS.

7Th

Why are you guy still going on with that ridiculous SMT4 discussion?

Devil Survivor was a low-budget spin-off and it still managed to become one of the best portable games of all time; main-line or not, Strange Journey is sure to be great.

Sklorenz said:
$30 USD on Amazon for a new copy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024W1U6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gift-wrap available :) Seriously, anybody in this thread who hasn't played nocturne needs to pick it up off of amazon while it's there. I bought mine used for 40 bucks a long time ago, and after playing it as much as I have, I'd willingly re-buy a used copy for much more if I ever needed to. Like much of GAF, I've only played all the U.S. SMT games, but nocturne's my favorite :D

Edit: They also have some used and complete copies of the CE with the soundtrack up now in the marketplace, too. You'll have to pay at least twice the asking price of the standalone new product that amazon offers, though.

I'm in the UK, we're not quite so lucky as to have new copies for the equivalent of $30. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009F19TM/

I've been looking at ebay but I'm not sure if I want to add to add to my already significant backlog.

The week of the 23rd is looking mighty busy for me :(. I may have to wait a bit before delving into this one.

How many finished the game from the import thread? I remember seeing my subscription to that thread randomly updated as some of you struggled onwards in the later parts of the game. Expecting pretty high difficulty.

thetrin

7Th said:
Why are you guy still going on with that ridiculous SMT4 discussion?

Devil Survivor was a low-budget spin-off and it still managed to become one of the best portable games of all time; main-line or not, Strange Journey is sure to be great.

Um, it is a mainline game. We're arguing semantics, not Strange Journey's worth.

totowhoa

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I'm in the UK, we're not quite so lucky as to have new copies for the equivalent of $30. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009F19TM/

I've been looking at ebay but I'm not sure if I want to add to add to my already significant backlog.

That's too bad :/ looks like amazon UK has a few used between 18 and 25 which isn't too bad at all, though. but it looks like new copies are high as shit... I'd totally recommend grabbing a used copy for your backlog. it's something you should buy, move to the top of your queue, and play asap.

Top Bottom