• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goddamn, unidentified monsters in Sector B are deadly. They hit hard and you have to find their weakness so you can identify them and get the evaluation to get their weaknesses noted up. Ugh.

I'm on the second main mission for that sector
(rescue the second ship)
and in the "palace" area, and man the monsters and danger floors are taking their anger out on me.

I'm like level 14-15, I'm not sure if that's high enough for this sector to be able to do the boss and stuff here or not. I'm also thinking having two neutral (me and a demon) and two lawful (both demons) splitting the demon co-ops up isn't as effective in killing enemies as I thought it'd be.

And fusion is doing my head in. I've got a bunch of decent skills, but I'm not sure if I want to lose some of them for a knock back in levels demons or not. :lol I know "fuse once you get their sources" but I've got a lot of low level demons from Sector A that I haven't gotten their sources for yet because they're low level in B and get knocked out sort-of quick. :(

I guess I need to grind more. :lol

Question: Is it worth letting skills mutate on level up? It seems like any time I let a skill mutate, it gives me a completely non-related skill (bufu becoming rampage or something similar, shifting attack to defense or an element to a physical attack or a different element) it's confusing and annoying. I'll I want is for the demons to get a stronger Bufu/Agi/Zio, is that too much to ask for?! :( :lol

TheSeks said:
Question: Is it worth letting skills mutate on level up? It seems like any time I let a skill mutate, it gives me a completely non-related skill (bufu becoming rampage or something similar, shifting attack to defense or an element to a physical attack or a different element) it's confusing and annoying. I'll I want is for the demons to get a stronger Bufu/Agi/Zio, is that too much to ask for?! :( :lol
Unless what they're asking to replace is totally useless, I never let them mutate a skill. It rarely comes out in the player's favour.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Unless what they're asking to replace is totally useless, I never let them mutate a skill. It rarely comes out in the player's favour.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. IIRC Persona 3 and 4 had skills be more in the players favor on mutation.

At least I've lived and learned. Now to grind some party member sources out so I can fuse them and lower my party slot count a little.

TheSeks said:
Low level mutation isn't that useful, but I think that when you get to high levels (like endgame) mutation is the only way to get Jihad, which is the most powerful Almighty spell in the game. It's only available from one high level fusion otherwise.

MoogPaul

I just started playing this the other day after owning it for a while. I'd just like to chime in and say it's pretty spectacular. I finished the first tyrant and am just having a blast.

Quick question, do demons gain skills with levels or only evolve them?

Kevtones

Got this for xmas and I'm digging it so far. Dungeon navigation isn't perfect but I dig the updates to the demon stuff. Also, the return of negotiations is super welcome and the achievements dealy is fun.

Excited to become addicted :D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Loving this game right now. Anything with SMT in the title is like gold to me.

Just got into sector C and have explored two floors. One thing I'm really liking so far is basically this -

charlequin said:
Far moreso than in any other Megaten game, demons in SJ are ultra-disposable tools. It's much harder to make "ultimate" demons early on (so you'll very rarely have someone you want to keep around just because they're really good), demons don't learn anything new, and since you get one source for every demon you recruit, you'll pretty much by definition always have enough sources to use on as many fusions as you want. You'll basically never regret fusing away an individual demon and with the exception of a very limited set of skills (which I can list for you if you want) you'll never regret using a source as soon as possible either. If you wait too long you'll just find yourself missing the window where certain skills are good or trying to tackle dungeons with underpowered dudes.

Feels like the new demons keep coming quickly as I fuse and level for sources and fuse again. Having a lot of fun so far.

Despite the fact that the quoted post is 4 or 5 months old at this point, I wouldn't mind the list of that limited set of skills, though. :)

Monroeski said:
Despite the fact that the quoted post is 4 or 5 months old at this point, I wouldn't mind the list of that limited set of skills, though. :)

I wish you didn't, because I was just rereading my quoted post and going "god, that was so long ago, I hope he doesn't ask me what those limited skills were"

From what little I can piece together in the back of my head, Debilitate and Luster Candy are both moderately rare and extremely strong (so you'll want to be somewhat selective with them) and all of the strong elemental resistances (* Null, * Reflect, and * Absorb) are extremely rare and potentially very valuable at the very end of the game, so you should hoard them as long as possible until you know for certain how you want to use them.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! hello! I have finally arrived to the Strange Journey!!

this game is tight!!!

so far I beat the whole first section Antila, and am on section 2 which I think is called Butt or Booty.

things I like:

I got to name my main character Grill Cheese. Everyone either calls him Grill or Cheese.

very modest encounter rate, makes the game hecka easy compared to Nocturne. And just when you go thru a very long dungeon streth with half your characters dead and the rest of them out of magic, u reach a Heal Station & Save Point!!

things I dont like:

I cant find the quick save option!! If I am at work and wanna play for 10 minutes, I needa use the DS's native sleep mode instead which in the past has battery died on me :(

so yeay! awesome game definitely gonna keep playing more!!!

daemonic

Banned
I really need to get back into this game. I played it for about an hour and just gave up on it. I don't even remember what to do so I'll have to start over from the beginning. The OST was awesome though.

I know this is really a basic question but when a demon levels up and wants to replace a skill is there anyway to see what the skill will be replaced with, and are these skills random?

BamYouHaveAids said:
I know this is really a basic question but when a demon levels up and wants to replace a skill is there anyway to see what the skill will be replaced with, and are these skills random?

No, and its weighted. SJ is actually rather kind to us compared to previous Megatens, here it often goes Agi > Maragi or Patra > Me Patra and the like, you can see EXACTLY which skill is trying to change, and you are rarely screwed with powerful ones becoming dog skills or even downranking.

JEKKI

whoo~!! can u feel it?!?!?!

uRln2.jpg

Just put this back in my DS after a spell of not playing it.
Just finished taking out Oroborus' sources of power
I forgot how much fun this game is.

Endure or Blood Ritual?

Endure: Auto-resurrect once per battle with 1HP when KO'ed.

Blood Ritual (cost 25MP): Caster's HP reduced to 1HP; attack/defense/aim/evasion maximized.

My girlfriend had an old DS in a drawer and gave it to me since she never used it. I went to go buy 999 for it and while I was there saw this game, and remembered I'd been looking forward to it when I sold my last DS back in the day.

So I impulse purchased it, but to be honest I wasn't expecting that much - The Dark Spire got old for me by about half way through and I was thinking this might be more of the same.

But so far, wow! This is pretty gripping. It might even be able to dethrone Nocturne as my favourite in the series. I'm still just in the first area, but hopefully the game can keep this pace up.

Easily one of the best mobile games I've ever played. Hell, it's one of the most memorable JRPG experiences I've ever had. Can't believe how good it was.

Dr. Buni

Easily one of the best mobile games I've ever played. Hell, it's one of the most memorable JRPG experiences I've ever had. Can't believe how good it was.
You mean "handheld" game, not mobile.

Anyway, Strange Journey is amazing, as is basically every mainline SMT game.

Top Bottom